Migrating From Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010

We did not know which forum was the best for this question.

We have been wanting to migrate from Delphi 7 to a later version for years but it appears to be a daunting task.  We first looked at D2006 and that was a radical new world.  We bought D2010 a couple of years ago and not done much with it because there are so many parts to our applications.  We have done a few new applications in D2010 and they seem to work okay.  D2010 has not been impressive, perhaps because of the strangeness compared to D7.

Is is possible for us to do a phased sort of migration where we do a form at a time?  One of our applications has 65 forms and uses Woll2Woll's First Class and InfoPower libraries (we have the D2010 versions of these),  InterBase, and IBObjects (we have the D2010 library for this) .  We do not know if a form created under D2010 will work with a D7 form.  The forms do communicate with each other and through a data module.

We have already had to split the application into two main forms because D7 could not handle it as a single form (debugging no longer worked and memory leaks significantly increased).

Any ideas?

Jack

Jack Mason skrev 2012-04-24 20:09:
> We did not know which forum was the best for this question.
>
> We have been wanting to migrate from Delphi 7 to a later version for years but it appears to be a daunting task.  We first looked at D2006 and that was a radical new world.  We bought D2010 a couple of years ago and not done much with it because there are so many parts to our applications.  We have done a few new applications in D2010 and they seem to work okay.  D2010 has not been impressive, perhaps because of the strangeness compared to D7.
>
> Is is possible for us to do a phased sort of migration where we do a form at a time?  One of our applications has 65 forms and uses Woll2Woll's First Class and InfoPower libraries (we have the D2010 versions of these),  InterBase, and IBObjects (we have the D2010 library for this) .  We do not know if a form created under D2010 will work with a D7 form.  The forms do communicate with each other and through a data module.
>
> We have already had to split the application into two main forms because D7 could not handle it as a single form (debugging no longer worked and memory leaks significantly increased).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Have you tried just opening the project in D2010 and compile? The
biggest problem might be that you get lots of warnings about string
conversions as D2010 is Unicode. But that is the approach I would take.

/Anders
0
Anders
4/24/2012 7:02:46 PM
Yes, we tried that first thing.  Indy components did not work (required conversion to Indy 10).  The multitude of error messages did deter us.  We will try it again.

Jack

D2010 can't compile D7 forms and visa versa. I would install the D2010 libaries and open
the project and see what happens. Make a copy of the complete source and start
use it with D2010. Nice installed on a clean machine ;-)
Your main task will be Unicode issues in your own source, the D2010 libaries will be in
Unicode already. I don't think there are much issues with the rest.

Greets.
0
Robert
4/24/2012 7:22:19 PM
Thanks, Robert!
0
Jack
4/24/2012 7:32:09 PM
>required conversion to Indy 10).
oops...

"The 10 version was needed for compatibility and implamentations with .net.
That's why there're so many differences between 9 and 10"

Isn't there a choice between them when installing D2010?

Greets
0
Robert
4/24/2012 7:32:29 PM
Robert wrote:

> Isn't there a choice between them when installing D2010?

No.  Indy 9 does not support D2009+ at all.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

For the Indy part look at this conference (this will be the most difficult part):

 [http://conferences.embarcadero.com/article/32160]

The rest of work is not too complex but tedious.
0
Utf

Migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE3

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Pchar for PansiChar
hello, I use a DLL developed in D7 and not have the same sources. I will use Delphi 2010 and the functions do not work function TkmInitialize(LOGXMLDIR: PChar; TkmByExt: dWord): dWord; stdcall; external 'trackbuffer.dll'; function TkmCreateStream(FileName: PChar; Var Stream: dWord; Var Error: dWord): PChar; stdcall; external 'trackbuffer.dll'; function TkmLogEnd(Stream: dWord; MediaDuration, MediaPosition, MediaType: dWord; MediaName: PChar): dWord; stdcall; external 'trackbuffer.dll'; function TkmIsTkm(FileName: PChar): Bool; stdcall; external 'trackbuffer.dl...

Migrating to Delphi XE from Delphi 7.0
Below is my code in Delphi 7.0, this is how to call another units in webmodule... Hello All, I create a web application in Delphi 7.0, using the Web Server Application, CGI, IntraWeb 7.0.15. And I used TIWPageProducer to view like this url "http://localhost/mcr/mcr.exe/main". I built and run. I viewed in thru IIS and it is running... This is my code in Delphi 7.0 .... .... procedure TWebModule1.proMainGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmMain.Create(AWebApplication); end; procedure TWebModule1....

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010
We have decided to move up some applications running under Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010. However, I was surprise to see that simply recompiling the application causes the application to be much slower than version 7. We have a lot of string transformation routines, some mathematical transformations, etc. When I mean slower, I mean up to two times slower than with Delphi 7, so it not a minor difference. (The EXE is also a lot bigger but I don't worry too much about that). Is there something I can do to obtain the same kind of speed I had in Delphi 7 but with Delphi 2010? ...

Migrating to Delphi XE from Delphi 7.0
Below is my code in Delphi 7.0, this is how to call another units in webmodule... Hello All, I create a web application in Delphi 7.0, using the Web Server Application, CGI, IntraWeb 7.0.15. And I used TIWPageProducer to view like this url "http://localhost/mcr/mcr.exe/main". I built and run. I viewed in thru IIS and it is running... This is my code in Delphi 7.0 .... .... procedure TWebModule1.proMainGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmMain.Create(AWebApplication); end;...

Change icon after migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010
I have an old project I am moving to Delphi 2010. I have attempted to change the icon for this project by setting the Application icon in the Project Options. After building the project, the exe file shows the new icon. However, when I create a shortcut to my application, the icon is the old Delphi lightning bolt icon. I have tried to get rid of the old icon by completely deleting the RES file and letting Delphi create a new RES file but that didn't change anything. I know I am missing something but I can't seem to find it. Help! RG Robert Gutierrez wrote: > I have a...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010