All,

I am a Delphi developer working in an windows form application developed using Delphi 6.
Now, we are planning to upgrade the development tool.
Can anyone provide me information related to major roadblocks that we can face while migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi XE 3?
Should we migrate to Delphi XE 3 or any other preferred version of Delphi based on the fact that our target users will be using Windows 7 or Windows 8?
Do we have any tools or utilities to migrate the source code from Delphi 6 to higher version of Delphi?

Also, any suggestions related to best practices are welcome.

Regards,
Abhineet

Edited by: Abhineet Gunjan on Oct 10, 2012 12:53 AM
3
Abhineet

https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=57580
(look at Ken's comment..)

search Google for : Migrate XE site:https://forums.embarcadero.com/

I always think, first look at your 3th party components and see if you can get the XE/XE3 versions for it..

greets.
0
Robert

http://www.embarcadero.com/rad-in-action/migration-upgrade-center

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

I believe the biggest change from upgrade point of view, happened in
Delphi 2009, when the string type has become UnicodeString. If you come
accross lots of Unicode related problems you could try upgrading to
D2007 first. If your application is going to be in Windows 7, you should
upgrade to at least D2010, for Windows 8 you should go for XE3.

Usually there's a problem with reporting tools - which one do you use?

Also, if you're using BDE, perhaps you shoud consider dbExpress instead.

Regards

On 10/10/2012 08:56, Abhineet Gunjan wrote:
> All,
>
> I am a Delphi developer working in an windows form application developed using Delphi 6.
> Now, we are planning to upgrade the development tool.
> Can anyone provide me information related to major roadblocks that we can face while migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi XE 3?
> Should we migrate to Delphi XE 3 or any other preferred version of Delphi based on the fact that our target users will be using Windows 7 or Windows 8?
> Do we have any tools or utilities to migrate the source code from Delphi 6 to higher version of Delphi?
>
> Also, any suggestions related to best practices are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Abhineet
>
> Edited by: Abhineet Gunjan on Oct 10, 2012 12:53 AM

0
Kris
10/10/2012 6:26:05 PM
> {quote:title=Abhineet Gunjan wrote:}{quote}
> Should we migrate to Delphi XE 3 or any other preferred version of Delphi based on the fact that our target users will be using Windows 7 or Windows 8?

If your purpose is to target those OSs, Delphi 6 executables works very well on Windows 7 and Windows 8 in desktop mode.

Even the IDE works well, if you do not install it in C:/program files(x86) but in another directory, e.g. c:/progs
0
Arnaud
10/10/2012 6:41:49 PM
Am 10.10.2012 09:56, schrieb Abhineet Gunjan:
> All,
>
> I am a Delphi developer working in an windows form application developed using Delphi 6.
> Now, we are planning to upgrade the development tool.
> Can anyone provide me information related to major roadblocks that we can face while migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi XE 3?
> Should we migrate to Delphi XE 3 or any other preferred version of Delphi based on the fact that our target users will be using Windows 7 or Windows 8?
> Do we have any tools or utilities to migrate the source code from Delphi 6 to higher version of Delphi?
>
> Also, any suggestions related to best practices are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Abhineet
>
> Edited by: Abhineet Gunjan on Oct 10, 2012 12:53 AM

Hello,

if your application uses the BDE I'd recommend to upgrate to D2007 first
(with your XE3 licence you get all the older licences within a limited
period of time after purchase for free), because that's the last non
Unicode version.

There you can do the following things:

1. get familiar with the changes in the IDE, esp. rename refactoring is
   nice and helpful, XMLDOC is also helpful but still broken at a few
   places.

   About XMLDOC: just put something like that befor your method
   declarations:
   {code}
   <summary>
     My method description, what I always wanted to say about that
     method
   </summary>
   {code}

   Now when you hover over and playe you used the method the
   description will pop up.

2. Convert from BDE to dbExpress. D2007 already has the current
   dbExpress 4 architecture so you can swith while your application is
   still non unicode so you only change one thing at a time.

After that (and you made sure your program still works) switch to a
newer Delphi version and do the unicode conversion. You already got some
links which should contain some usefull documents about what to consider.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
10/10/2012 6:59:14 PM
Hi Kris,

I am using Quick Report as the the reporting tool.

Regards,
Abhineet

> {quote:title=Kris Golko wrote:}{quote}
> Hi Abhineet,
>
> I believe the biggest change from upgrade point of view, happened in
> Delphi 2009, when the string type has become UnicodeString. If you come
> accross lots of Unicode related problems you could try upgrading to
> D2007 first. If your application is going to be in Windows 7, you should
> upgrade to at least D2010, for Windows 8 you should go for XE3.
>
> Usually there's a problem with reporting tools - which one do you use?
>
> Also, if you're using BDE, perhaps you shoud consider dbExpress instead.
>
> Regards
>
> On 10/10/2012 08:56, Abhineet Gunjan wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I am a Delphi developer working in an windows form application developed using Delphi 6.
> > Now, we are planning to upgrade the development tool.
> > Can anyone provide me information related to major roadblocks that we can face while migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi XE 3?
> > Should we migrate to Delphi XE 3 or any other preferred version of Delphi based on the fact that our target users will be using Windows 7 or Windows 8?
> > Do we have any tools or utilities to migrate the source code from Delphi 6 to higher version of Delphi?
> >
> > Also, any suggestions related to best practices are welcome.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Abhineet
> >
> > Edited by: Abhineet Gunjan on Oct 10, 2012 12:53 AM

0
Abhineet
10/11/2012 3:34:39 AM
Hi Abhinet,

As you probably know Quick Report is no longer part of Delphi. I think
you should still be able to buy though. Alternatively, you might
consider rewriting your reports in Fast Reports (not sure what other
options are available for reporting in XE3).

I believe you should look into the issue of reporting first.

Regards

On 11/10/2012 04:34, Abhineet Gunjan wrohinet,te:
> Hi Kris,
>
> I am using Quick Report as the the reporting tool.
>
> Regards,
> Abhineet

0
Kris
10/11/2012 5:00:07 PM
Abhineet Gunjan wrote:

> Do we have any tools or utilities to migrate the source code from
> Delphi 6 to higher version of Delphi?

I recently went through the same exercise for a Delphi 4 applicaton.
Here's some links I found useful:

  http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/38693

http://www.jacobthurman.com/2008/09/05/preparing-for-delphi-2009-part-1/
  (also see parts 2, 3 and 4)

  http://www.jacobthurman.com/2008/09/08/delphi-2009-and-unicode/

  http://peganza.com/#PAL

  http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/27398

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
0

www.digital-metaphors.com/products

-
Nard Moseley
Digital Metaphors
www.digital-metaphors.com
0
Nard

Web resources about - Migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi XE 3! [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

Teens Migrating From Facebook To Comments Section Of Slow-Motion Deer Video - YouTube
Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: http://bit.ly/xzrBUA Trendwatchers say more and more teens are leaving Facebook and Twitter in favor of the ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Record Numbers of New Zealanders Migrating to Australia
Acting on impulse: why the Kiwis keep coming ... and coming and coming

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Volunteers help Mulligans Flat migrating turtles through the fence over holidays
Volunteers help turtles running the gauntlet past fences, foxes and cars.

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...