Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your help.

Below is my query,

Currently I am using Delphi 2007 and i want to migrate to Delphi 2010.
1. What all things i need to take care while doing this?
2. What all third party components will get impacted?
3. Any known issues in Delphi 2010 which might impact the cause?
4. Any changes in database operation required as i am using Oracle?

Hope I have post this query under correct category. If not sorry for the trouble and could you please suggest me the correct category for this?

Looking forward for your response.

Have a great day.

Thanks,
Nilesh (Delphi Developer)
0
Nilesh

Hello,

You have to go through the well known "Unicode Migration".
(Introduced from Delphi 2009)

<simple mode>
This means that the normal "string" type has been changed
and that now you can store all kinds of character sets in a string.
(arabic, chinese, ..)

For this the memory of a type "string" has been changed.
First part of the string is a codepage and the rest are the characters.
So things like length(string) and string[1] will need attention.

The "old" type "string" as we all know is called "AnsiString".
If you have all code just like "var mystr: string" then all will be ok
but it will not be so, for sure your components will do special
manipulations with a string.
</simple mode>

So first try to find the Unicode versions of your important
components. Then start to migrate your own code.
Use documents to help you.

https://forums.codegear.com/thread.jspa?threadID=35085&tstart=44
0
Robert
5/18/2010 7:32:20 AM
Nilesh Ghade schreef:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Below is my query,
>
> Currently I am using Delphi 2007 and i want to migrate to Delphi 2010.
> 1. What all things i need to take care while doing this?
> 2. What all third party components will get impacted?
> 3. Any known issues in Delphi 2010 which might impact the cause?
> 4. Any changes in database operation required as i am using Oracle?
>
> Hope I have post this query under correct category. If not sorry for the trouble and could you please suggest me the correct category for this?
>
> Looking forward for your response.
>
> Have a great day.
>
> Thanks,
> Nilesh (Delphi Developer)

Well the first thing I would do is check which 3rd party components you
use and check if you have a Delphi 2009/2010 version for that component

If not, see if you have the source or can obtain it and can get it at
least compiling (note compiling does not mean it is going to work :))
0
Kristof

http://www.embarcadero.com/rad-in-action/migration-upgrade-center

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

> 4. Any changes in database operation required as i am using Oracle?

You may need to adjust your NLS settings to enable
Unicode support at Oracle end. But the full answer
depends on the number of aspects.

--
With best regards,
Dmitry Arefiev
> {quote:title=Robert Triest wrote:}{quote}
> How do you connect your Delphi program to your Oracle Database?
> Native drivers, ODBC, ADO,.. ?

using TOracleSession
--
Thanks,
Nilesh (Delphi Developer)

http://www.allroundautomations.com/download/doa41.pdf

Maybe you don't need other character sets at all
but it is nice if you migrate your application and you
can put some Chinese in your database field and see it
working.

If you use an ODBC connection via the BDE (don't ask..)
you will notice that Unicode will not work because the
BDE doesn't know about Unicode..
0
Robert
5/18/2010 9:42:27 AM
> {quote:title=Robert Triest wrote:}{quote}
> Good. It will support Unicode as well.
>
> http://www.allroundautomations.com/download/doa41.pdf
>
> Maybe you don't need other character sets at all
> but it is nice if you migrate your application and you
> can put some Chinese in your database field and see it
> working.
>
> If you use an ODBC connection via the BDE (don't ask..)
> you will notice that Unicode will not work because the
> BDE doesn't know about Unicode..

okay.

Now below is the summary of all above replies:

1. What all things i need to take care while doing this? - GOT POINTER
2. What all third party components will get impacted? - ALMOST RESOLVED
3. Any known issues in Delphi 2010 which might impact the cause? - STILL UN-ANSWERED
4. Any changes in database operation required as i am using Oracle? - I THINK NO CHANGE REQUIRED
--
Thanks,
Nilesh (Delphi Developer)

3) After my migration from 2007 --> 2009 I didn't found problems apart from the Unicode change.
Other things I found where more connected to the change of Windows (WinXP,Vista --> Win7)
(or display drivers used in Win7 ?!) Pay attention to forms that have "always on top" property true.
But I think D2010 was a real Win7 release..

Be sure that you keep your D2007 + sources up and running.
I just used a new developer machine with clean new installation Delphi
and copied the sources. After I could compare the sources for the small
strange things.

START !
0
Robert
5/18/2010 1:20:12 PM
Okay.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
--
Thanks,
Nilesh (Delphi Developer)
> 3. Any known issues in Delphi 2010 which might impact the cause?

Just discovered. If you use clientdataset, customconstraint property on
fields is not enforced anymore
0
Roberto