Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your help.

Below is my query,

Currently I am using Delphi 2007 and i want to migrate to Delphi 2010.
1. What all things i need to take care while doing this?
2. What all third party components will get impacted?
3. Any known issues in Delphi 2010 which might impact the cause?
4. Any changes in database operation required as i am using Oracle?

Hope I have post this query under correct category. If not sorry for the trouble and could you please suggest me the correct category for this?

Looking forward for your response.

Have a great day.

Thanks,
Nilesh (Delphi Developer)
0
Nilesh

Hello,

You have to go through the well known "Unicode Migration".
(Introduced from Delphi 2009)

<simple mode>
This means that the normal "string" type has been changed
and that now you can store all kinds of character sets in a string.
(arabic, chinese, ..)

For this the memory of a type "string" has been changed.
First part of the string is a codepage and the rest are the characters.
So things like length(string) and string[1] will need attention.

The "old" type "string" as we all know is called "AnsiString".
If you have all code just like "var mystr: string" then all will be ok
but it will not be so, for sure your components will do special
manipulations with a string.
</simple mode>

So first try to find the Unicode versions of your important
components. Then start to migrate your own code.
Use documents to help you.

https://forums.codegear.com/thread.jspa?threadID=35085&tstart=44
0
Robert
5/18/2010 7:32:20 AM
Nilesh Ghade schreef:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Below is my query,
>
> Currently I am using Delphi 2007 and i want to migrate to Delphi 2010.
> 1. What all things i need to take care while doing this?
> 2. What all third party components will get impacted?
> 3. Any known issues in Delphi 2010 which might impact the cause?
> 4. Any changes in database operation required as i am using Oracle?
>
> Hope I have post this query under correct category. If not sorry for the trouble and could you please suggest me the correct category for this?
>
> Looking forward for your response.
>
> Have a great day.
>
> Thanks,
> Nilesh (Delphi Developer)

Well the first thing I would do is check which 3rd party components you
use and check if you have a Delphi 2009/2010 version for that component

If not, see if you have the source or can obtain it and can get it at
least compiling (note compiling does not mean it is going to work :))
0
Kristof

http://www.embarcadero.com/rad-in-action/migration-upgrade-center

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

> 4. Any changes in database operation required as i am using Oracle?

You may need to adjust your NLS settings to enable
Unicode support at Oracle end. But the full answer
depends on the number of aspects.

--
With best regards,
Dmitry Arefiev
> {quote:title=Robert Triest wrote:}{quote}
> How do you connect your Delphi program to your Oracle Database?
> Native drivers, ODBC, ADO,.. ?

using TOracleSession
--
Thanks,
Nilesh (Delphi Developer)

http://www.allroundautomations.com/download/doa41.pdf

Maybe you don't need other character sets at all
but it is nice if you migrate your application and you
can put some Chinese in your database field and see it
working.

If you use an ODBC connection via the BDE (don't ask..)
you will notice that Unicode will not work because the
BDE doesn't know about Unicode..
0
Robert
5/18/2010 9:42:27 AM
> {quote:title=Robert Triest wrote:}{quote}
> Good. It will support Unicode as well.
>
> http://www.allroundautomations.com/download/doa41.pdf
>
> Maybe you don't need other character sets at all
> but it is nice if you migrate your application and you
> can put some Chinese in your database field and see it
> working.
>
> If you use an ODBC connection via the BDE (don't ask..)
> you will notice that Unicode will not work because the
> BDE doesn't know about Unicode..

okay.

Now below is the summary of all above replies:

1. What all things i need to take care while doing this? - GOT POINTER
2. What all third party components will get impacted? - ALMOST RESOLVED
3. Any known issues in Delphi 2010 which might impact the cause? - STILL UN-ANSWERED
4. Any changes in database operation required as i am using Oracle? - I THINK NO CHANGE REQUIRED
--
Thanks,
Nilesh (Delphi Developer)

3) After my migration from 2007 --> 2009 I didn't found problems apart from the Unicode change.
Other things I found where more connected to the change of Windows (WinXP,Vista --> Win7)
(or display drivers used in Win7 ?!) Pay attention to forms that have "always on top" property true.
But I think D2010 was a real Win7 release..

Be sure that you keep your D2007 + sources up and running.
I just used a new developer machine with clean new installation Delphi
and copied the sources. After I could compare the sources for the small
strange things.

START !
0
Robert
5/18/2010 1:20:12 PM
Okay.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
--
Thanks,
Nilesh (Delphi Developer)
> 3. Any known issues in Delphi 2010 which might impact the cause?

Just discovered. If you use clientdataset, customconstraint property on
fields is not enforced anymore
0
Roberto

Delphi 2010 w Delphi 2007

Migrating From Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010

Migration from Delphi 2007 Rad to Delphi XE Where is Quickreports
Have installed and finally registered Delphi Xe, I am looking for Quickreports but am unable to find it anywhere, I asked the Distributer and was told its packaged in Delphi XE, Well I should have gone to specsavers......cos I cant see it any where ? > {quote:title=Colin Coleman wrote:}{quote} > Have installed and finally registered Delphi Xe, I am looking for Quickreports but am unable to find it anywhere, I asked the Distributer and was told its packaged in Delphi XE, Well I should have gone to specsavers......cos I cant see it any where ? Hello Colin, Delphi X...

Change icon after migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010
I have an old project I am moving to Delphi 2010. I have attempted to change the icon for this project by setting the Application icon in the Project Options. After building the project, the exe file shows the new icon. However, when I create a shortcut to my application, the icon is the old Delphi lightning bolt icon. I have tried to get rid of the old icon by completely deleting the RES file and letting Delphi create a new RES file but that didn't change anything. I know I am missing something but I can't seem to find it. Help! RG Robert Gutierrez wrote: > I have a...

Delphi 2010
*Upgrading from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010* (as of February 1, 2010) I bought a new computer in December and decided to upgrade from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010. Here are some lessons learned related to the Delphi upgrade, which I hope will make a similar transition easier for others. I still have an insurmountable problem with the speed of the IDE (#13 below). As background, my old system had 3 GB of RAM, 40GB of unused disk, a 3.8 GHz CPU, and ran under Windows XP. My new system has 12 GB of RAM, 770GB of unused disk, a quad core 2.67 GHz CPU, and runs under Win7 Home Edition. ...

What we need to learn as we migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2012
As we prepare to move from Delphi 2007 to the Delphi of next summer/fall, and 64bit some day, we are looking for a list of improvements to Delphi (from IDE to the language) that have been done from Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE, as well as any planned ones for the next version. We understand the daunting migration to Unicode that awaits us but know that we have missed some "new and improved" items where we have to get all our developers up to speed on that may not be related to Unicode. So, we will need to plan some training before we jump in. Is there such a list out ...

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

DBExpress terrible performance when migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007
Hi, When I'm migrating my project from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007, I found that the speed slow down 3-4 times. I've started to investigate what is the reason of that and I've found that the problem is in the TSQLDataset component. So I make a simple example of an application that run one of my problem queries that fetches about 30000 rows and the result was amazing d7: 1500ms, d2007: 13500ms 8 times slower !!!! Here are some perameters of the TSQLConnection Delphi 7: object SQLConn: TSQLConnection ConnectionName = 'OracleConnection' DriverName = '...

Delphi 2010 can't upgrade Delphi 2007 projects
If I open any of my Delphi 2007 projects in Delphi 2010 it prompts me that it will upgrade it. Unfortunately, that leaves Delphi 2010 to give errors about not knowing where to find system and other core units. On the other hand, if I delete all the BDS project files and only leave the .dpr, Delphi 2010 can successfully open and compile my project. However, besides that quirk, I have another problem. I need to have both a working Delphi 2007 project and Delphi 2010, so I can compile using both without being prompted each and every time about upgrading project :) So... Any ideas to what m...

Problems
Hi; We have a software developed in the Delphi 2009 and we do NOT use the runtime themes. So, the option: Projetct / Options / Application / Enable Runtime Themes is UNCHECKED. When I'm on the Delphi 2009, it's all right. The problem is when I use the Delphi 2010. The same configuration (Projetct / Options / Application / Enable Runtime Themes is UNCHECKED). The form editor (IDE) insists on show the forms with the current Windows theme. I don't like this, I want the runtime themes off while I'm programming and editing my forms. How can I solve it? Thanks to...