Is it worth to move my code from Delphi 2009 to Delphi 2010?

Hi guys,

we are working on Delphi 2009 till this day because we do not have the time to upgrade our code to the newest version. There is always something more important (features, bugs...) and our code has 2+ million lines.
I thought that instead of moving from D2009 to XE7 I could atleast move code to D2010 because it is more or less backward compatible and it shouldn't take me that much of a work. I wanted to ask you about your opinion. Is it a good version to move to?

Regards.
0
Dimitrij

Dimitrij wrote:

> I thought that instead of moving from D2009 to XE7 I could atleast
> move code to D2010 because it is more or less backward compatible
> and it shouldn't take me that much of a work.

What makes you think moving to XE7 (BTW, XE8 is the latest) would be any
less backward compatible?  You are already using a Unicode-enabled version,
and that is one of the biggest hurdles for migrating older projects.  Another
big hurdle is installing third-party components that you are using, but you
have to do that anyway for any version you upgrade to.  So, what is stopping
you from going to XE7 (or XE8)?

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

1. I would have to convert all RTL modules to new namespace names and then resolve undeclared identifiers for some units beause I assume that some types / classes had changed its location.
2. The probablity that something got broken / changed between D2009 and XE7 is much higher than probablity that something got broken between D2009 and D2010. After all D2010 is almost nothing more than bug fix release. I do not have time to fix all the differences that have grown over the years.

But maybe I am wrong?
0
Dimitrij
6/25/2015 7:29:09 AM
Dimitrij wrote:

> I would have to convert all RTL modules to new namespace names
> and then resolve undeclared identifiers for some units beause I
> assume that some types / classes had changed its location.

No, you wouldn't have to change the code at all for that.  Just make sure
the relevant namespaces (called "unit scope names" now) are listed in the
"Unit scope names" field in the Project Options.  Many of the standard names
are already listed.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> Thank you for your answer. What is stopping me...

> 1. I would have to convert all RTL modules to new namespace names and then resolve undeclared identifiers for some units beause I assume that some types / classes had changed its location.
A lot of namespaces will just work, also if you dont add the new prefixes for some like vcl or system. (SysUtils will work but also System.SysUtils, Forms will work but also VCL.Forms)
If really needed write a small parser that run through your units and replace the namespaces for you..

> 2. The probablity that something got broken / changed between D2009 and XE7 is much higher than probablity that something got broken between D2009 and D2010. After all D2010 is almost nothing more than bug fix release. I do not have time to fix all the differences that have grown over the years.
From D2009 to XE4 I had almost no changes, from XE4 to XE8 only FireDac namespaces and FireDac declarations.

> But maybe I am wrong?
Ask yourself what you gain by moving from D2009 to D2010?!
Like Remy said, the biggest issue might be to find all the 3th party components that you use for the new version
but if you have the sources then they are already moved to Unicode.
If you don't have the source and they are not availble for the newest version then throw them out of your system.
0
Robert
6/25/2015 7:51:15 AM
Dimitrij Kowalski wrote:

> Thank you for your answer. What is stopping me...
>
> 1. I would have to convert all RTL modules to new namespace names and
> then resolve undeclared identifiers for some units beause I assume
> that some types / classes had changed its location.

No need for that.

  2. The
> probablity that something got broken / changed between D2009 and XE7
> is much higher than probablity that something got broken between
> D2009 and D2010.

ISTM that it doesn't make sense to move from one old version to
another, almost as old version. If you have to fix broken things, then,
after you fixed them, you have a modern version, and not something old.

I doubt there will be much you'll have to fix anyway.

--
Rudy Velthuis        http://www.rvelthuis.de

"The behavior of any bureaucratic organization can best be
 understood by assuming that it is controlled by a secret
 cabal of its enemies." -- Robert Conquest's Second Law of Politics
0
Rudy
6/25/2015 8:35:38 AM
Thank you guys for your input. I had no idea that I do not need to rename my module names to "scoped modules". And if you say that there should be no big problems to move to XE7,XE8 than I will listen you:) The only component which I need to take care of is FIBPlus, last version was XE5 but I think I can update it by myself to XE8.

Regards.
0
Dimitrij
6/25/2015 9:58:34 AM
On 25/06/2015 1:19 AM, Dimitrij Kowalski wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> we are working on Delphi 2009 till this day because we do not have the time to upgrade our code to the newest version. There is always something more important (features, bugs...) and our code has 2+ million lines.
> I thought that instead of moving from D2009 to XE7 I could atleast move code to D2010 because it is more or less backward compatible and it shouldn't take me that much of a work. I wanted to ask you about your opinion. Is it a good version to move to?
>
> Regards.

One thing to keep in mind.

If you have project groups with more than two or three large projects,
you might run into the "out of memory" bugs that have plagued the IDE
since about XE3 or so. We are stuck on XE2 since, on later releases, our
biggest project group (only seven EXE's) won't compile more than two or
three time without having to restart the IDE due to out of memory problems.

See http://support.embarcadero.com/article/44279 for some possible
workarounds.

Also keep in mind, if you do purchase XE8, that gives you "downgrade"
rights to earlier releases, so you get to choose which release works for
you.

J.
0
John
6/25/2015 1:04:07 PM
Dimitrij Kowalski wrote:

> Thank you for your answer. What is stopping me...
>
> 1. I would have to convert all RTL modules to new namespace names and
> then resolve undeclared identifiers for some units beause I assume
> that some types / classes had changed its location.

No need for that.

  2. The
> probablity that something got broken / changed between D2009 and XE7
> is much higher than probablity that something got broken between
> D2009 and D2010.

ISTM that it doesn't make sense to move from one old version to
another, almost as old version. If you have to fix broken things, then,
after you fixed them, you have a modern version, and not something old.

I doubt there will be much you'll have to fix anyway.

--
Rudy Velthuis        http://www.rvelthuis.de

"The behavior of any bureaucratic organization can best be
 understood by assuming that it is controlled by a secret
 cabal of its enemies." -- Robert Conquest's Second Law of Politics
0
Rudy
6/25/2015 1:51:56 PM
No need. You have these new features in D2010:

Enhanced RTTI
Casting interfaces to objects
delayed
Attributes
class constructors/destructors

<Dimitrij Kowalski> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi guys,
>
> we are working on Delphi 2009 till this day because we do not have the
> time to upgrade our code to the newest version. There is always something
> more important (features, bugs...) and our code has 2+ million lines.
> I thought that instead of moving from D2009 to XE7 I could atleast move
> code to D2010 because it is more or less backward compatible and it
> shouldn't take me that much of a work. I wanted to ask you about your
> opinion. Is it a good version to move to?
>
> Regards.
0
Ralf
6/25/2015 6:24:04 PM
No need. You have these new features in D2010:

Enhanced RTTI
Casting interfaces to objects
delayed
Attributes
class constructors/destructors

<Dimitrij Kowalski> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi guys,
>
> we are working on Delphi 2009 till this day because we do not have the
> time to upgrade our code to the newest version. There is always something
> more important (features, bugs...) and our code has 2+ million lines.
> I thought that instead of moving from D2009 to XE7 I could atleast move
> code to D2010 because it is more or less backward compatible and it
> shouldn't take me that much of a work. I wanted to ask you about your
> opinion. Is it a good version to move to?
>
> Regards.
0
Ralf
6/25/2015 6:25:26 PM
Am 25.06.2015 um 20:24 schrieb Ralf Stocker:
> No need. You have these new features in D2010:
>
> Enhanced RTTI
> Casting interfaces to objects
> delayed
> Attributes
> class constructors/destructors

You only list compiler improvements and RTTI. You do not mention things
like improvements for touch support, Direct2D support and some more
items. Wasn't a dbExpress Firebird driver new in D2010 as well?

But as others suggested: I'd skip a few versions at least.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
6/25/2015 7:02:44 PM
No need. You have these new features in D2010:

Enhanced RTTI
Casting interfaces to objects
delayed
Attributes
class constructors/destructors

<Dimitrij Kowalski> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi guys,
>
> we are working on Delphi 2009 till this day because we do not have the
> time to upgrade our code to the newest version. There is always something
> more important (features, bugs...) and our code has 2+ million lines.
> I thought that instead of moving from D2009 to XE7 I could atleast move
> code to D2010 because it is more or less backward compatible and it
> shouldn't take me that much of a work. I wanted to ask you about your
> opinion. Is it a good version to move to?
>
> Regards.
0
Ralf
6/26/2015 7:50:02 PM
John we have the same issues here on D2009, so that wouldn't be nothing new ;-)
0
Dimitrij
6/29/2015 7:32:51 AM
Dimitrij Kowalski wrote:

> Thank you for your answer. What is stopping me...
>
> 1. I would have to convert all RTL modules to new namespace names and
> then resolve undeclared identifiers for some units beause I assume
> that some types / classes had changed its location.

No need for that.

  2. The
> probablity that something got broken / changed between D2009 and XE7
> is much higher than probablity that something got broken between
> D2009 and D2010.

ISTM that it doesn't make sense to move from one old version to
another, almost as old version. If you have to fix broken things, then,
after you fixed them, you have a modern version, and not something old.

I doubt there will be much you'll have to fix anyway.

--
Rudy Velthuis        http://www.rvelthuis.de

"The behavior of any bureaucratic organization can best be
 understood by assuming that it is controlled by a secret
 cabal of its enemies." -- Robert Conquest's Second Law of Politics
0
Rudy

delphi 2006 code in delphi 2010

Why does this work fine in Delphi 2009, but not in Delphi 2010
I've been racking my head trying to figure this out and can't understand what is wrong, TFileStream.ReadComponentRes fails when I try to read a component containing a record, it works fine in Delphi 2009 and Delphi 2007, but fails with Delphi 2010 Here is the unit source and DFM *+//UnitSource+* unit Unit1; interface uses Windows, Messages, SysUtils, Variants, Classes, Graphics, Controls, Forms, Dialogs, StdCtrls; type TThresholdMode = (tm0,tm1,tm2,tm3,tm4,tm5); TThreshold = Record Mode:TThresholdMode; Filter,Start,Stop:Integer; end; ...

Code Porting
Hi people, Basically, I am moving an app from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2009 which is all great (yeah right!) and I am having a couple of issues with some thirdparty components that we have the source code for. Being that I wanted to make the task as easy as possible, I was able to download the component in Delphi 2007 format. I have now managed to port that to 2009 so it compiles only with warnings and no errors. So all is good at this moment. Now I am trying to install the component into the IDE by using the install menu option from the project manager. This is where I run into errors. ...

Move from Delphi 2009 to Delphi XE2 and now failing
I recently moved from Delphi 2009 to Delphi XE2 (combined with a new computer). The XML that is now created no longer accepted by the webservice. The specific steps I went through were. 1) Delphi 2009 with old pas file. Worked. 2) Delphi XE2 with old pas file. Didn't work. 3) Delphi XE2 with new pas file imported by Delphi XE2. Didn't work. The new pas file has the following lines, but commenting them out doesn't change the XML. { InvRegistry.RegisterParamInfo(TypeInfo(FaCSIADiagnosticInterface), 'Ping', 'Ping_Input', '&...

Delphi 2009 (and probably Delphi 2010 as well) and QTP
We have a suite of automatic tests written in QTP (Quick Test Pro - an HP product), and we have just upgraded to Delphi 2009 (I know we are late adopters), and all of these tests no longer work. The plugin that QTP have released does not work with Delphi 2009 - we have that in writing now from HP. Do you know of (a) anyone else in the same boat as us (b) anyone have a work around, as I can't see one and HP don't seem to be too proactive about this. Any help would be appreciated. I just installed D2010. We started using QTP several months ago so I assume we will have the same issu...

Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010 character codes conversion
I an converting a unit from Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010. Everything works except for a couple of character codes, the decimal values are(224 and 227). As far as I can tell when data is loaded from the socket into a buffer, the codes are ok. When they are written to another buffer these 2 codes use the upper case version of the characters(192 and 224). I don' t see it on any other of the codes. I set the code page in the compiler options to 1252, but that did not work. Any other options I can set in Delp hi 2010 to correct this? TIA Jan B wrote: > I an converting a unit from D...

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Problems
Hi; We have a software developed in the Delphi 2009 and we do NOT use the runtime themes. So, the option: Projetct / Options / Application / Enable Runtime Themes is UNCHECKED. When I'm on the Delphi 2009, it's all right. The problem is when I use the Delphi 2010. The same configuration (Projetct / Options / Application / Enable Runtime Themes is UNCHECKED). The form editor (IDE) insists on show the forms with the current Windows theme. I don't like this, I want the runtime themes off while I'm programming and editing my forms. How can I solve it? Thanks to...

Delphi 2010 produces much larger binaries than Delphi 2009 [Edit]
When I compile my project with Delphi 2010 the resulting executable is about 30% larger than the one compiled with Delphi 2009. Both binaries are compiled with the same source code and project options. The size of individual DCU files increases by 5-20%. Has anybody experienced similar results? Has anybody an idea what could cause this? It surprises me, as the changes in syntax and VCL have not been that big. Best regards, Joachim Edited by: Joachim Marder on Sep 25, 2009 6:07 AM "Joachim Marder" wrote in message news:166152@forums.codegear.com... > When I compi...

Web resources about - Is it worth to move my code from Delphi 2009 to Delphi 2010? - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech