How do you rate you experience programming for IOS in Delphi/Firemonkey [Edit]

Hello:

I've been taking a IOS programming course in objective-c/swift with xcode, and while doing my homework assignments I came to the conclusion that this is a very finicky environment, where very often things don't work as expected or there is always some minor UI glitch that has to be fixed or found workarounds for.

Just to give you some examples (by far not an exaustive list): a UITableView doesn't align to the top when you use a navigation controller; upon selecting a row in a UITableView some buttons in the row disappear while the row is selected; specifying layout constraints in xcode is pure nightmare (in my opinion). Basically, doing simple stuff requires a lot of research and I found myself spending countless hours on stack overflow or other forums trying to figure out why one thing or another doesn't work rig
ht off the bat.

Maybe I am getting too old  and my tolerance for this stuff is thinning. I hate a programming experience like this, with ups and downs, where things don't work, but then when you find a solution,  you feel relieved and you pat yourself on the back.

Overall, I think I was spending way too much time fighting the tools rather than being productive.

I kind of ignored Delphi in the mobile space, partly because, in the last couple of years, I got the feeling  that it is not there yet and I thought it is better to use the native tools. Now, XE7 is out and I want to take a look again at the samples and at what's being offered. I actually tried a sample opp and I noticed some weirdness in the SimpleListView sample, when I run it in the simulator the detail arrows appear and disappear quickly. Other than that the samples I have checked look pretty good.

If you were to rate your experience programming for IOS in the Delphi from 1 to 10, where 1 is a nightmare (i.e often things don't work as you expected and you find yourself spending a lot of time on the net trying to find solutions) and 10 is the opposite, smooth sailing (within reasonable limits - it is acceptable that things don't always work as expected), how would you rate it?

Thanks
-1
blob
11/20/2014 2:16:24 AM
embarcadero.delphi.non-tech 5934 articles. 1 followers. Follow

8 or maybe even a 9 for me. We're making some nice extra money doing in-house mobile apps for corporates, and we've had great feedback on both the quality of the apps and the speed we've been able to deliver them. I find it very enjoyable to be able to leverage my existing Delphi knowledge in a new environment.

It is very occasionally frustrating when things don't quite work as they should, but we've not encountered any show-stoppers thus far. (I should say our apps are relatively simple database-related tools.)

There's always a worry whenever you upgrade a piece of the Apple software that something will break and you'll be stuck waiting for a hotfix, but I think Emb have done a pretty good job thus far. Well, since XE4 anyway - we'll draw a veil over the first 2 Firemonkey versions.

Richard
1
Richard
11/19/2014 1:14:59 PM
If 10 is "it is acceptable that things don't always work as expected" then I give it a 10. But I'm giving the entire package (not just IOS since it supports Android/IOS/Windows/Mac) a 10.

On a normal 1-10 scale though I probably give it an 8. Some times things don't work as they should but also sometimes things on mobile devices just don't work the way they do on a desktop which is not the fault of the tool.

And I probably have 400-800 billable hours building and deploying with Firemonkey in the IDE this year.
2
Eli

programming psychology experiments in Delphi [Edit]
Hello, I post this one here cause I'm not sure where it fits, though it's rather technical... I use Borland Developer Studio 2006/Delphi (on Windows XP) to program psychology experiments. I present a subject with some visual stimuli and take subject's reaction time. Since I'm interested in millisecond-time-resolution I use TimeGetTime with TimeBeginPeriod and TimeEndPeriod. I monitor the experiment using opto-detector and other (pc-external) equipment and it all seems to work fine. However, this is true only when the Borland Developer Studio 2006 is up (i.e., while t...

Delphi XE8 FireMonkey iOS Style problem with segmented buttons [Edit]
Hi, Going through some tutorials to get used to mobile development using FireMonkey and Delphi XE8. One of the most basic layouts tend to use the toolbar component with segmented speed buttons, and then applying the correct segmented style to each button. However, there seems to be an issue with the iOS style. [Screenshot.|https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B68Ju-patBf-RVVEMmI5UDd2cG8/view?usp=sharing] Using the "segmentedbuttonleft", "segmentedbuttonmiddle", and "segmentedbuttonright" styles is producing an extra border on the right button in iOS. It seems...

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

New to Delphi
Hi I am new to Delphi & want to know good resources for learning to use it. Is there a list of good Delphi learning resources (books/online tutorials) somewhere? What recommendations can anyone make for someone new to Delphi (& only a hobby programmer at the moment)? A couple of weeks ago I started with DelphiXE4 trial & have Googled for a few Delphi resources but I haven't found anything very good yet for me as a beginner. I'm just struggling along trying to learn as I go! (I'm presently struggling with DragandDrop...see [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17232...

Delphi XE4 - Firemonkey
I have an application that runs fine on windows, however when running on iOS simulator the onKeyUp event for a TEdit control is not being fired? Please advise if this event should get fired when running on iOS? This problem occurs onKeyUp events created directly on the control and by assigning the event programatically. Running XE4 update 1 iPhoneOS6.1.sdk Minimac: OS X 10.9 XCode 5 iOS Simulator Version 7.0 - iPad Retina / iOS 7.0.3(11B508) ...

I can to execute one external (android/ios) program from one delphi program
For example I want to have one button, that execute or open one .apk file in android. I can to do this? how i can to do this? I can to do the same as iOS external program or .ipa file? ...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi vs Winform
This might be a little techie, but I think most people here are familiar with Delphi to understand the difference between a TWinControl and TGraphicControl. I was trying to create a C# Winform project based on a Delphi prototype and ran into this problem which I posted to some Winform forums ... This led me to an *obvious* deficiency in Winforms programming. I'd like to hear your thoughts. My question to the Winforms forums describing the problem is copied below: <snip> Hi, I mostly do Delphi development but would like to start my next small work project in Visual S...

Hello, we have one Delphi 2005 Professional here and want to upgrade to Delphi 2010, but we are a bit confused. Our distributor in Germany, ingram-micro offers several upgrade products: UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER FLEX RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - UPG UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED ELC UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED FLEX UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT FLEX What do they mean exactly and which one do i need? At the moment delphi is installed on two PCs and we want to use ...

Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5

Web resources about - How do you rate you experience programming for IOS in Delphi/Firemonkey [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Computer programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Computer programming (often shortened to programming or coding ) is the process of designing , writing, testing , debugging , and maintaining ...

ARIA Awards 2015: Tina Arena calls out commercial radio for ageist programming
"Why is it about our age and looks?" asked Arena in a wide ranging speech.

Craig Federighi promotes Hour of Code workshops, saying programming is “the next level of literacy”
... of Code workshops for kids aged 6 and up, SVP of software engineering Craig Federighi has told the BBC that introducing young children to programming ...

ABC’s Lincoln Square Productions to Double Programming Output
Lincoln Square Productions, the in-house production company at ABC News, plans to double the hours of original productions and syndicated programming ...

Apple Open Sources The Swift Programming Language
Back in June at WWDC 2015 Apple surprised a number of people by announcing that they would be making their Swift programming language open source ...

Apple takes the Swift programming language open source
Anyone interested can take a look at a new site unveiled by Apple. First promised back at WWDC in June , Apple has just taken its Swift programming ...

Apple becomes open source champion with Swift programming language
... solutions, surprising many in those communities. Now, it is Apple's turn. Today, the company run by Tim Cook announces that its Swift programming ...

HBO vs Netflix: Who has the best original TV programming?
Not too long ago, TV fans only had to worry about keeping up with a few select shows at a time. Whether you were interested in staying up to ...

"Jon Dovey writes about how reality-TV programming affects the way we understand the very concepts of ...
"With the rise and dominance of reality television over the last twenty-five years comes the concomitant belief that humanity is knowable via ...

Google hopes to remake programming with Go
A Unix co-creator is among those behind a language Google hopes will speed computers and programming. Today, Go becomes open-source software. ...