here's a tech question for non-tech

I have not had occasion to want to do this before, so I'm hoping
someone can enlighten me. I have an app built in D7, and it's rather
complex in its functionality. Is it possible to rebuild the app to run
as a service? Would that require separating the user interface from the
app?

Thanks,

Bill
0
William

William Meyer wrote on 4/22/2010 :
> I have not had occasion to want to do this before, so I'm hoping
> someone can enlighten me. I have an app built in D7, and it's rather
> complex in its functionality. Is it possible to rebuild the app to run
> as a service? Would that require separating the user interface from the
> app?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

I'll take this softball question.

Yes.

More detailed?
It is easiest to handle this a two projects that have the
same files.  One project is a normal executable, the other
is the service project.

Work with the first until you have all the issues resolved.
Then try getting it working as a service.  Don't try to take
both leaps at the same time.   Not being able to debug or see
what is going on is just too much hassle.

HTH,
Brad.

--
To people who think about their lives, almost everything
that happens, or that they read, provides a way of learning.
On 2010-04-22 19:44:03 -0400, Brad White
<bwhiteDONTINCLUDE@inebraska.com> said:

> Not being able to debug or see
> what is going on is just too much hassle.

True, but you can attach the Delphi debugger to your server process and
debug as one does with a GUI app.  However, especially in the case of
services, I find SmartInspect from http://Gurock.com to be an extremely
useful tool.

--
Kevin Powick
0
Brad White wrote:

> I'll take this softball question.

Thanks, Brad. The existing app is solid. So the conversion should not
be terrible.

Bill
0
William
4/23/2010 2:26:48 AM
> as a service? Would that require separating the user interface from the
> app?

From Vista onwards, services run in a different windows station and should not interact with the interactive user window station (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms683502(VS.85).aspx). Beware that circumventing this protection *may expose a system to dangerous vulnerabilities*, there are very good reasons why a service running with elevated privileges should not show a UI. If needed, ensure the service runs with limited privileges.

And there are terminal server/fast user switching issues too.
0
Luigi

Security Now in Tech Republic's 10 best tech podcasts
TWIT is in there too. http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=597 Here is the text: "Steve Gibson - a legend in IT security and host of grc.com - teams up with former TechTV host Leo Laporte for this weekly podcast that includes security updates, security tips and best practices, and a spotlight on various security technologies. Steve does a regular question-and-answer session based on submissions from listeners." A legend in his own time! That's why I went to Gnomedex 1 - to see the legend. (Smiley face excluded to reduce message size!) "Uncl...

Non-tech with a file copy question
Can I just simply copy or backup/restore my GW55 email/calendar/etc. files to another server if my original server crashed or I'm changing to a new server? I assume I would need to unload GW, but which files would I copy? Thanks. explain. you mean the whole PO or what. elucidate. -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com) PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked. I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee! All opinions and advice provided are MINE alone and NOT Novell&...

..question for W2000 tech's
I'm going to install a W2000pro installation for a basic home user setup. My question is about updating it. I'm going first slipstream SP4 with my old original CD - that's easy. Does SP4 require any certain version of IE to be on the CD first? Anything else to know before I start? thanks, Rick Let me clarify a little just in case, I'm just creating a bootable W2000proSP4 cd from my old original version CD, and I have everything to do it and know how, but my only question is, unlike WXP which I've done already and its wxpsp1 already has IE6SP1 incorporat...

Backup the GW PO (i'm a non tech)
Is there a way to backup just the GW55 files (database)? How about GW60? If so how? And, would it be a simple copy back to a server to restore the files. Thanks. Look up the GWBACK utilities. For 6.0, GWTSA works with most backup software. -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com) PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked. I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee! All opinions and advice provided are MINE alone and NOT Novell's unless specifically identified as ...

Testing Non-Tech
I haven't seen anything for three days in this group! -- Q 01/24/2014 15:15:19 1.19.1.372 [Q'sBrokenToolBar] [Running on TQ] Quentin Correll wrote: > I haven't seen anything for three days in this group! How can that be? You replied to a post from Nick in thread "Test the best" today. -- Arno Arno, | How can that be? You replied to a post from Nick in thread | "Test the best" today. Strangely enough, I could post. <g> But I wasn't sure about that since XN didn't "receive" anything until I did ...

Tech
Name: DCrane Product: Gran Paradiso Alpha 1 Summary: Tech Comments: testing is fun Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20061213 Minefield/3.0a1 ...

Non-Tech Postings Rejected
Testing... Yesterday my posts to non-tech were being "rejected." -- Q 04/05/2012 09:16:20 XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278 [Q'sBrokenToolBar] Quentin, | Testing... | | Yesterday my posts to non-tech were being "rejected." It appears that only my replies are being rejected. -- Q 04/05/2012 09:19:30 XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278 [Q'sBrokenToolBar] Quentin, | | Testing... | | | | Yesterday my posts to non-tech were being "rejected." | | It appears that only my replies are being rejected. This reply w...

Not a tech question
I am not sure this is the best place to post this question... We are getting ready to deploy and have some licesing issues... How many licenses would we need for the current model: 500 CE Clients (ultralite) 50 threads on Mobilink ASA(?) How many licenses on ASA does Mobilink take up? Does mobilink require Concurrent licenses? Thanks in advance... Pedro That is best answered by your sales rep. Call 1-800-8-SYBASE, or whatever your local number is (depending on country) -- David Fishburn Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions Please only post to the newsgroup...

IT Tech
Name: Michael McCartney Rahl Email: mrahlathotmaildotcom Product: Minefield Summary: IT Tech Comments: I finally put Safari to use so I could download this app. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112504 Minefield/3.0b2pre ...

Army's tech gallery
cool gallery of rugged computer and peripherals http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/computers/gallery.html <snip> cool gallery of rugged computer and peripherals > > http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/computers/gallery.html <snip> I wonder if any of the "ruggedized" machines or variants are available to the public. I could see any number of civilian applications for some of this stuff. P N Wandering aimlessly around grc.techtalk, I heard Pseudo Nym mention: > <snip> cool gallery of rugged computer and peripherals >&...

Sybase Tech-Library CD's
On the Sybase Tech-Library CD's, you can install the stand-alone documentation on NT, however on Solaris you can install a web-server based one to allow other users to be able to access the documentation too. Is there anything at present / any plans to release a web-server based system for NT? Cheers Alan ...

Clairifcation on EJB's Invoking Non-EJB's in App server
I am wondering if you someone from Team Sybase could clarify something for me. In a note below Jonathan Baker replyed to this group saying that the CORBA method on calling a PBNVO from an EJB was the "long way around" and directed the individual with the question to follow the procedure outlined in Chapter 9 of the Jaguar Programmers Guide "Invoking Non- EJB components from an EJB". What would be the pros and cons of either approach? And do you have an idea as to why the Jaguar documentation would only refer to to using the EJB stubs ? ////////// Message pa...

Remember Norton's tech support answer ...
.... the absurd response from a couple of days ago by Norton tech support to a customer by the name of Cindy? To refresh your memories or in case it missed it, here is the link to it, (thanks to Don for the shorter link): http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y31431291 Well anyway, I had posted almost the exact same question that Cindy had just a couple of posts behind it in that newsgroup. Guess what? Norton complete removed my post without ever answering it. ?!?!?! Perhaps the subject line I chose, "Disturbing Results", was attracting too many viewers and I had also includ...

M$ tech plays into hacker's hands.
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0%2C4586%2C5098579%2C00.html?chkpt=zdnnp1tp02 -- Regard: Joh@nnes´┐Ż "Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error" ...

Web resources about - here's a tech question for non-tech - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech