Delphi XE8 Random IDE crashes

For the first time in recent memory, my Delphi IDE is just plain
unstable.  I'm using XE8 Update 1 and of course, with /NOCASTALIA. I
have removed everything I can from Delphi and still use it (no IDE
plugins, etc).  I've only recently begun using XE8 (as in the last few
weeks.)  I am only working with VCL projects.

Obviously this is not a place to post bug reports.

But even if it were, I couldn't.

When the IDE crashes, there is NO useful information.

When I distribute my own applications, I use MadExcept so that users
can provide me with useful information if something goes wrong.

I wish Embarcadero did something like that.

Good thing I have the habit of typing CTRL+S all the time.  So far, I
have only lost a little but of work product.

:-/

--
Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC

Brandon wrote:

> Obviously this is not a place to post bug reports.

No.  They need to be reported to QualityPortal.

> When the IDE crashes, there is NO useful information.
>
> When I distribute my own applications, I use MadExcept so that users
> can provide me with useful information if something goes wrong.
>
> I wish Embarcadero did something like that.

They used to, when QualityCentral was the primary bug reporting system.
QualityCentral was integrated directly into the IDE in such a way that an
IDE crash would generate an automatic bug report with a crash dump, stack
trace, etc and then the user was prompted whether to submit it to QualityCentral
or not.  Now that Embarcadero has switched to QualityPortal as the new bug
reportng system, that same integration has not been implemented yet, as QualityPortal
does not have a WebService interface like QualityCentral does.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
"Remy Lebeau" wrote on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:19:13 -0700:

> They used to, when QualityCentral was the primary bug reporting system.
> QualityCentral was integrated directly into the IDE in such a way that an
> IDE crash would generate an automatic bug report with a crash dump, stack
> trace, etc and then the user was prompted whether to submit it to QualityCentral
> or not.  Now that Embarcadero has switched to QualityPortal as the new bug
> reportng system, that same integration has not been implemented yet, as QualityPortal
> does not have a WebService interface like QualityCentral does.

Unfortunately this means that crashes that can't be reproduced with a
simple project must be experienced by the QA team.  How am I supposed
to report an IDE crash when I can't reproduce it reliably, without a
stack trace?

...... Just frustrated.

--
Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC
> {quote:title=Brandon Staggs wrote:}{quote}
> Good thing I have the habit of typing CTRL+S all the time.  So far, I
> have only lost a little but of work product.
>
> :-/

Try to use FreePascal and Lazarus. IMO It's more stable and professional. Programming in Delphi became a nightmare.
-1
Maciej
7/13/2015 10:55:15 PM

> When the IDE crashes, there is NO useful information.

I had the same problem after updating to Update 1. The few times I did get info on the crashes, it mentioned the Start page. So I prevented startpageide140.bpl from loading and have not crashed since.

Rick Hollerich
0
Richard
7/13/2015 11:16:41 PM
Brandon Staggs wrote:

> How am I supposed
> to report an IDE crash when I can't reproduce it reliably, without a
> stack trace?

Have you tried madExcept Tools->madExcept config->Enable IDE exception
catching?

--
Alex
0
> So I prevented startpageide140.bpl from loading and have not crashed
> since.

With XE8 the it should be $(BDS)\Bin\startpageide220.bpl

Ronald
0
Ronald
7/14/2015 7:18:32 AM
> So I prevented startpageide140.bpl from loading and have not crashed
> since.

With XE8 the it should be $(BDS)\Bin\startpageide220.bpl

Ronald
0
Ronald
7/14/2015 7:21:14 AM
"Brandon Staggs" <nospam@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> "Remy Lebeau" wrote on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:19:13 -0700:
>
>> They used to, when QualityCentral was the primary bug reporting system.
>> QualityCentral was integrated directly into the IDE in such a way that an
>> IDE crash would generate an automatic bug report with a crash dump, stack
>> trace, etc and then the user was prompted whether to submit it to
>> QualityCentral
>> or not.  Now that Embarcadero has switched to QualityPortal as the new
>> bug
>> reportng system, that same integration has not been implemented yet, as
>> QualityPortal
>> does not have a WebService interface like QualityCentral does.
>
> Unfortunately this means that crashes that can't be reproduced with a
> simple project must be experienced by the QA team.  How am I supposed
> to report an IDE crash when I can't reproduce it reliably, without a
> stack trace?

How?

There are (external) means (or at least used to be) to extract
dumps/minidumps while the application is still "alive" tho' effectively
inoperative, but when I did this and inquired about interest, I got
absolutely zero response, (IIRC) 8-9 years ago.

I suppose you could try and see if anything has changed in that regard since
then.

At least one of Allen's blog posts indicates spelunking into the depths of
windows (TMonitor, exponential backoff), so I expect that at least he is
capable of analyzing them if they have any interest in expending the effort.
0
david
7/14/2015 1:53:11 PM
"david hoke" <dhoke.nojunk@east-shore.com> wrote in message
> "Brandon Staggs" <nospam@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Remy Lebeau" wrote on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:19:13 -0700:
>>
>>> They used to, when QualityCentral was the primary bug reporting system.
>>> QualityCentral was integrated directly into the IDE in such a way that
>>> an
>>> IDE crash would generate an automatic bug report with a crash dump,
>>> stack
>>> trace, etc and then the user was prompted whether to submit it to
>>> QualityCentral
>>> or not.  Now that Embarcadero has switched to QualityPortal as the new
>>> bug
>>> reportng system, that same integration has not been implemented yet, as
>>> QualityPortal
>>> does not have a WebService interface like QualityCentral does.
>>
>> Unfortunately this means that crashes that can't be reproduced with a
>> simple project must be experienced by the QA team.  How am I supposed
>> to report an IDE crash when I can't reproduce it reliably, without a
>> stack trace?
>>

> How?

You could also try running the IDE under the IDE, and see if you can get any
sort of stack trace, or anything, perhaps on a first-chance exception.
0
david
7/14/2015 2:04:23 PM
> "david hoke" <dhoke.nojunk@east-shore.com> wrote in message
>> "Brandon Staggs" <nospam@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Unfortunately this means that crashes that can't be reproduced with a
>>> simple project must be experienced by the QA team.  How am I supposed
>>> to report an IDE crash when I can't reproduce it reliably, without a
>>> stack trace?
>>>

>> How?
>
> You could also try running the IDE under the IDE, and see if you can get
> any sort of stack trace, or anything, perhaps on a first-chance exception.

Perhaps run the 'upper' IDE (the one being used to debug the IDE instance
you use) with -r, and having nothing installed in whatever registry branch
you specify...
0
david
7/14/2015 2:06:56 PM
"david hoke" <dhoke.nojunk@east-shore.com> wrote in message
> "david hoke" <dhoke.nojunk@east-shore.com> wrote in message
>> "Brandon Staggs" <nospam@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Unfortunately this means that crashes that can't be reproduced with a
>>> simple project must be experienced by the QA team.  How am I supposed
>>> to report an IDE crash when I can't reproduce it reliably, without a
>>> stack trace?
>>>

>> How?
>
> You could also try running the IDE under the IDE, and see if you can get
> any sort of stack trace, or anything, perhaps on a first-chance exception.

You could also try installing the full debug version of FastMM.  If the IDE
is still dependent on dynamic runtime, then it should be loaded for IDE
usage.

IIRC, for me, with 2006, this revealed two corruptions by the form editor
almost immediately, although it never resulted in my receiving any sort of
fix for the issue(s).

And these overwrites were very consistent, although the subsequent failing
behavior did not always look quite the same.
0
david
7/14/2015 2:13:04 PM

>>> How?
>>
>> You could also try running the IDE under the IDE, and see if you can get
>> any sort of stack trace, or anything, perhaps on a first-chance
>> exception.
>
> Perhaps run the 'upper' IDE (the one being used to debug the IDE instance
> you use) with -r, and having nothing installed in whatever registry branch
> you specify...

And one more thought, if IDE doesn't function to debug itself,
then might try the cdb debugger from the Microsoft debugging tools for
windows.
0
david
7/14/2015 2:21:27 PM
From the archives, so you can know some of us feel your pain...

And one add'l bit of *OLD* information that may still be enlightening, and
suggest use of CDB (since I think there is no .net debugger perse since ???)
as a better alternative for some problems...

"Brandon Staggs" <nospam@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

> ..... Just frustrated.

This is a part one email I sent to David Dean (2007/04/24) when he was
working on builder QC/QA...

**For me to attempt (even if my boss allowed) to allow anyone to watch me,
would be just a waste of time for me and them, particularly since I can't
apply the builds in question to work I need to get done.  I have provided
stack traces, and I have offered to provide memory dumps, that could be used
to explore the context of actual problems that have occurred.  It is
extremely frustrating to me that B/CG personnel are either unable or
un-willing to examine those contexts.  In the past two weeks, about 3 times,
I have had that [RANT] stupid [/RANT] editor assert trigger.  (I recently
added an additional comment to the QC item, as these last 3 seem to have
triggered around the type-ahead entry of a new line that has not yet been
displayed.)  Without looking, I'm pretty sure that it was at least 6 months
between when I submitted that original problem, and the next time it
occurred.  I doubt your staff or management has extended periods of time to
allocate, and I know I don't, to watching/playing with a beta environment
until something happens.  I'm equally confident that they're pretty unlikely
to observe a pattern that I've missed in "the way I work."  I expect I
generally work the same way, and the manifestations themselves vary,
repeating themselves in un-predictable, seemingly random, order.

From another email possibly useful IDE debugging info (tho' touched on in
earlier posts):

> I have, however, managed to cajole out of R&D some suggestions and
> information which /may/ help. .Net exceptions are not trapped by the  code
> which produces the automated incident reports. You can run the  IDE using
> the .Net debugger so that when you get a crash that comes  from the .Net
> side, instead of the IDE simply dying, you should be  able to get us some
> usable stack traces.
> They also suggested that you try using the debug version of the  FastMM
> memory manager: <http://sourceforge.net/projects/fastmm> It  can catch and
> log some of the errors which also fail to trigger the  automated reports.

Remember that is *old* information, its current relevance is unknown.
0
david
7/14/2015 2:49:05 PM
"Alex Belo" wrote on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 21:32:48 -0700:

> Have you tried madExcept Tools->madExcept config->Enable IDE exception
> catching?

Yes, it's enabled.  Whatever is happening in the IDE is not getting
caught by MadExcept.

--
Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC

> Yes, it's enabled.  Whatever is happening in the IDE is not getting
> caught by MadExcept.

Possibly then, a .Net exception of some sort, possibly not caught by
MadExcept (I know little about it), that might be caught/trapped by a .Net
capable debugger (as mentioned in my other recent posts)...
0
david
7/15/2015 1:57:26 PM
"Richard Hollerich" wrote on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 16:16:41 -0700:

>> When the IDE crashes, there is NO useful information.
>>

> I had the same problem after updating to Update 1. The few times I did get info on the crashes, it mentioned the Start page. So I prevented startpageide140.bpl from loading and have not crashed since.

After reading this I got into the habit of closing the welcome tab
after loading up Delphi, and since then, no random crashes.

My guess is an exception somewhere around the web browser component.

--
Brandon Staggs
StudyLamp Software LLC

MOVED: random (opendialog.onhint) crash ,delphi (was: random (opendialog.onhint) crash ,delphi)
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 09:23:32 -0800, arthur gibbs wrote: Moved to delphi.vcl.components.using https://forums.codegear.com/thread.jspa?threadID=10897 -- Marc Rohloff [TeamB] marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com ...

Delphi IDE crashes
Hello, I've got a problem with Delphi 2010. The ide sometimes crashes and crashes and crashes. I've opened a QN but they can't figure it out and redirected us to the http://support.embarcadero.com Page. But we dont have a support agreement with Embarcadero so I ask here. Here is the link to the QN: http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=89563 In short words: The IDE crashes during an oepration like CTRL + Mouseclick at a variable or something like that. If the ide is crashed you can simply open delphi again and again and agian. And it will crashes evertime you use ...

Delphi 2009 crashes randomly
I have a problem with Delphi/C++ 2009 crashing the IDE when editing any application. I get a dialog that says "Application error" and the it runs away, about fifty "Application error" dialogs open before I can get to task manager to shut down bds.exe. I have reinstalled numerous times with no success. I'm using Vista SP1 and have Delphi 2007 installed Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated... > {quote:title=Michael Thompson wrote:}{quote} > I have a problem with Delphi/C++ 2009 crashing the IDE when editing any application. I get a dialog that says &qu...

Delphi XE3 IDE Crash
I would like to know if I'm the only one to suffer the constant crash of the IDE of DXE3! After about an hour of use the IDE starts to become unstable, and crashes systematically when I double-click on the Project manager window to switch to a form or a unit! Ther are also other types of crashes but that is the most systematic and actually makes the system unusable because even restart Delphi on the first or second new click it crash again! Only restarting the PC (WIN7) I can become to work quiet for about an hour! In the system I installed a few third-party components, only Jedi, Fas...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

IDE crash with Delphi 2009
Hi, I recently bought Delphi 2009 and tried upgrading a rather big project. However, the IDE completely disappears every time I try to compile. After a few hours of debugging I found the offensive code and noticed there is already a QC for it: http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=66966 However, such a huge bug has not made it into SP1. This is really a show stopper for me, as I can't compile my program; finding all the instances of my code that crash the compiler would take me a really long time which I do not want to invest, as I hope this bug will eventually get fixed. ...

Delphi XE8 IdSSLOpenSSL crashes on iOS
Hi! I got an e-mail from one of my users of my component: Hi, I’ve managed to locate where the code is failing and put together a simple test case which demonstrates the problem. The problem occurs in TCPClientThread.pas in procedure TTCPClientThread.IdTCPClientConnected in the line SendPassWord := HashSHA512String(Trim(ServerResponse) + PassWord)); The call to HashSHA512String fails consistently on IOS with the error “Access violation at address 0000000000000000, accessing address 0000000000000000. This occurs on iDevices running IOS 8.3 both in 64 bit and 32 bit...

Delphi 2007 IDE freezing randomly
Often I will do a build all, get an error, and before I can even right click on that line to save the error message the IDE starts building again, so the message is lost, scrolling up out of view. I am reduced to doing a print screen to capture the error message. I also keep a good book nearby to read whilst I await the return of the IDE. It seems like the IDE has a bad case of ADHD and will only reply to my clicks when it's good and ready. Has anybody else seen this problem? I am using Windows 7 and quietly going nuts fighting this problem. The phrase "background compilation&...

random (opendialog.onhint) crash ,delphi
I have checked 100% i am closing all handles on a file i recently(<min) create. but when i call "opendialog.execute;" the dialog pop up as usual but on the mouse over hint of a recently created file the entire thing crashes.. with a out of bounds error.. i know this is not any of my out of bounds as if i open the file without causing a (onhint) event there is no problem and hardcoding a list of filenames for testing showed that there was nothing wroung with opening or saving a file.. its purely on the on hint event of the open dialog.. like i said if i am quick or i use arrow key...

Delphi 5 IDE Crashes on startup
i came into work today to find that Delphi32.exe crashes with an access violation (0xC0000005) on startup. A binary diff of my Delphi installation with a colleagues finds no differences in delphi32.exe Debugging delphi32.exe finds it crashes while inside it's own internal call to TApplication.ProcessMessage, calling DispatchMessage (just after the call to translate message). The message it's dispatching to Windows that triggers an access violation is: msg: $0503 hwnd: 2903E0 wParam=0 lParam=0 The tail of the stack trace is: Vcl50.Forms::TA...

HTML Editor Library trial is now available for Delphi 6
HTML Editor Library trial is now available for Delphi 6 - Delphi XE8 Please use the following link to download the trial: http://delphihtmlcomponents.com/editor.html Hi! Do you have another emailadress than the support@delphihtmlcomponents.com, because I would like to upgrade to the Editor-package, but I can't email you. Gruß aus den Bergen Günter Please use asviridenkov at gmail.com > {quote:title=G|nter Kieninger wrote:}{quote} > Hi! > > Do you have another emailadress than the > support@delphihtmlcomponents.com, because I would like t...

Web resources about - Delphi XE8 Random IDE crashes - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Lightning Crashes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Lightning Crashes " is a song by the rock band Live , from their 1994 album, Throwing Copper . The track wasn't released as a single in the ...

When New York Times website crashes, newspaper turns to Facebook Notes
When The New York Times’ website suffered some downtime Wednesday because of technical issues, the newspaper turned to Facebook Notes to post ...

Zimbabwe Bull Elephant Crashes Into Tourists at Mana Pools - YouTube
As we were eating brunch an elephant was eating pods off of the ground and as it approached we were told to stay very still, which we did. To ...

Facebook crashes in rare global outage
Users in the UAE were unable to access Facebook after it crashed just after midday on Thursday.

Worst Driver of the Day: Old Man Crashes Into Everything In Piggly Wiggly Parking Lot
No, this isn’t footage from “GTA V.” A 92-year-old man named Russell Kerr pulled his minivan out of the parking lot last Friday at a Piggly Wiggly ...

Man crashes car doing burnouts allegedly twice over limit at Port Pirie - AdelaideNow Search Search
A MAN was arrested after allegedly doing burnouts while almost two times over the limit and crashing into a fence at Port Pirie.

Young passengers die in Queensland road crashes
A young male passenger has died after the ute in which he was travelling rolled on the Burnett Highway south of Rockhampton.

Car crashes into BP service station in Belfield, causing major gas leak - DailyTelegraph Search Search ...
THE family petrol station owners almost killed by an out-of-control car say a “saint was watching over” them.

Car crashes into house in Adelaide’s west
A CAR has crashed into a house in Adelaide’s west overnight.