Delphi XE IDE hangs with Update 1

I tested the Update 1 on my laptop, found no problems on an admittedly
light-weight test, and so applied to my main work machine.

Now Delphi hangs -- with 49% CPU usage and no file activity -- and never
comes out of the loop. I rebooted, loaded  Delphi XE, cursor over an
identifier, saw "parsing .." and straight back to hanging.

So ... does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Ed.
0

Ed Weatherup wrote:

> Now Delphi hangs

When?  Doing what?

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
On 19/11/2010 12:47, Nick Hodges wrote:
> Ed Weatherup wrote:
>
>> Now Delphi hangs
>
> When?  Doing what?

(Cursor) mouse-over an identifier in source code ... I did say!

However, following another post in this NG (which I can't now find) I
have been building regularly and ... cross fingers and touch wood ..
problems seems to be gone.

The notable thing was I had Delphi hang with a small 8,000 line app (a
build, so mostly library lines of code)

--
Ed.
0
Ed Weatherup wrote:

> However, following another post in this NG (which I can't now find) I
> have been building regularly and ... cross fingers and touch wood ..
> problems seems to be gone.

Glad to hear it.

I do think sometimes that apps and computers need a "breaking in"
period.  I know that's really impossible, but sometimes I do get the
feeling that things sort of need to run for a while to get the
lubricant all through the system.

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
http://www.gatewayticketing.com
0
Nick
11/19/2010 4:37:20 PM
Nick Hodges wrote:

> I do get the
> feeling that things sort of need to run for a while to get the
> lubricant all through the system.

And how long do you think does a deadlock (like the one I had
yesterday) has to run?

--
Andreas Hausladen
0
On 19/11/2010 16:37, Nick Hodges wrote:
> Ed Weatherup wrote:
>

>> However, following another post in this NG (which I can't now find) I
>> have been building regularly and ... cross fingers and touch wood ..
>> problems seems to be gone.
>
> Glad to hear it.
>
> I do think sometimes that apps and computers need a "breaking in"
> period.  I know that's really impossible, but sometimes I do get the
> feeling that things sort of need to run for a while to get the
> lubricant all through the system.

Sadly I spoke too soon ... :-(

It seems to be anytime there are large changes and background
compilation ... for code insight or the like.

It may be coincidence but I think I've only seen the problem with IE
open and since I am 95% sure that bits if IE are used for Delphi
"tooltips" (why oh why oh why!!) and IE died not logn after ....

I'll keep going but this is like stepping back from D2007 for productivity!

--
Ed.
0

Or in Option / Editor options / Code Insight / Pascal disable Tooltip help insight, this worked for me.

BTW: Win XP Prof SP3 Czech

> {quote:title=Ed Weatherup wrote:}{quote}
> I tested the Update 1 on my laptop, found no problems on an admittedly
> light-weight test, and so applied to my main work machine.
>
> Now Delphi hangs -- with 49% CPU usage and no file activity -- and never
> comes out of the loop. I rebooted, loaded  Delphi XE, cursor over an
> identifier, saw "parsing .." and straight back to hanging.

Edited by: Radek Cervinka on Nov 19, 2010 10:17 AM, info about OS
0
Radek
11/19/2010 6:17:48 PM
Hello,

which version of IE?

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
11/19/2010 6:27:57 PM
Hi Ed,

> It may be coincidence but I think I've only seen the problem with IE
> open and since I am 95% sure that bits if IE are used for Delphi
> "tooltips" (why oh why oh why!!) and IE died not logn after ....

Interesting that you should mention that: I have also experienced
freezes when using Delphi XE, but it only seems to occur when I have
Thunderbird open. If Delphi XE freezes I just close Thunderbird and it
continues.

I need it to happen a few more times before I'm 100% sure that my
observation is accurate, but that does seem to be the pattern. I'm on
Win7 64-bit.

Best regards,
Pierre
0
Pierre
11/19/2010 7:06:42 PM
"Nick Hodges" <nick@nickhodges.com> wrote
> I do think sometimes that apps and computers need a "breaking
> in" period.  I know that's really impossible, but sometimes I
> do get the feeling that things sort of need to run for a while
> to get the lubricant all through the system.

Nick,

Speaking of breaking in: The Delphi hints and warnings to the
programmer are good, but I would like to see them better.
And the language could be improved (and maybe even be replaced).

I am a proponent of making computer languages as simple and
intuitive to the programmer as possible.  This means that their
basic variables should allow exact representation of decimal
fractions and common time values and that the code should allow
*no* transformations or truncation of values without compiler
warnings. (This is one awkward areas of Delphi/Pascal.)

Rgds, JohnH
0
John
11/19/2010 7:46:46 PM
Andreas Hausladen wrote:

> And how long do you think does a deadlock (like the one I had
> yesterday) has to run?

125 seconds.

More seriously, not sure what you are referring to -- I was just making
a mundane, slightly whimsical observation.

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
http://www.gatewayticketing.com
0
Nick
11/19/2010 11:24:08 PM
Nick Hodges explained on 11/19/2010 :
> Ed Weatherup wrote:
>

>> However, following another post in this NG (which I can't now find) I
>> have been building regularly and ... cross fingers and touch wood ..
>> problems seems to be gone.
>
> Glad to hear it.
>
> I do think sometimes that apps and computers need a "breaking in"
> period.  I know that's really impossible, but sometimes I do get the
> feeling that things sort of need to run for a while to get the
> lubricant all through the system.

I wish I'd known this sooner.
This explains a lot.
Amazing the things you learn on this forum.

Thanks,
Brad.

--

"Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
  -- Gray’s Law, a variant of Hanlon’s razor influenced by Clarke’s 3rd law
>> I do think sometimes that apps and computers need a "breaking
>> in" period.  I know that's really impossible, but sometimes I
>> do get the feeling that things sort of need to run for a while
>> to get the lubricant all through the system.

> I wish I'd known this sooner. This explains a lot.
> Amazing the things you learn on this forum.

For a second, I thought that I was browsing http://www.cartalk.com/
reading stuff from "click" and "clack". <g>  --JohnH
0
John
11/20/2010 12:04:01 AM
Nick Hodges wrote:

> Andreas Hausladen wrote:
>
> > And how long do you think does a deadlock (like the one I had
> > yesterday) has to run?
>
> 125 seconds.

IMO you shouldn't give such an exact number, it all depends on how long
it takes to walk to the coffee machine, brew some liquid black gold and
walk back to you workspace.

125 seconds ain't that bad ;-)

--
Pieter

"You get what anyone gets; you get a lifetime."
 -- Death, Neil Gaiman Comic Sandman
0
Pieter
11/20/2010 12:45:08 AM
The update hangs for me to. Wish you can just remove the update.
Tried removing the code insight. It helps as it was hanging before from just toggling F12 (form mode to code).
Now it hangs when i do Ctrl + left mouse click on a procedure call
0
Leo
11/22/2010 4:55:41 AM
On 19/11/2010 18:27, Markus Humm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> which version of IE?
>
> Greetings
>
> Markus

IE 8.0.7600.16385

Generally I use Chrome for browsing these days but for some sites I
still have to use IE

--
Ed.
0
On 19/11/2010 19:06, Pierre le Riche wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
>> It may be coincidence but I think I've only seen the problem with IE
>> open and since I am 95% sure that bits if IE are used for Delphi
>> "tooltips" (why oh why oh why!!) and IE died not logn after ....
>
> Interesting that you should mention that: I have also experienced
> freezes when using Delphi XE, but it only seems to occur when I have
> Thunderbird open. If Delphi XE freezes I just close Thunderbird and it
> continues.
>
> I need it to happen a few more times before I'm 100% sure that my
> observation is accurate, but that does seem to be the pattern. I'm on
> Win7 64-bit.
>
> Best regards,
> Pierre

Hmmm ... I use Thunderbird for NG access so it's very likely it was open
too. I'm on Win7 32bit

--
Ed.
0
Am 22.11.2010 11:03, schrieb Ed Weatherup:
> On 19/11/2010 18:27, Markus Humm wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> which version of IE?
>>
>> Greetings
>>
>> Markus
>
> IE 8.0.7600.16385
>
> Generally I use Chrome for browsing these days but for some sites I
> still have to use IE

I just wanted to make sure you don't run any IE 9 beta version or
something like that...

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
11/22/2010 7:03:25 PM
My delphi hangs in the same way after upgrading to update 1. This only happens on my larger projects, when viewing code or switching between code files. Sometimes I can get it to work for a while (usually if I dont touch anything when it opens and open a different .pas file than the one(s) allready open and just work from there), but eventually it hangs up eating 100% of one of my cpu-cores. There doesn't seem to be any logic to it either as I can open the project and just switch back and forth between tw
o files and at a random number of switches it hangs.

The only way I can properly work on my larger projects now, is by completely turning off all code insight options. (I found that by turning off "Tooltip help insight" it was alot more stable, but it still hung eventually.)
Any help so I can re-enable my code insight would be greatly appreciated!
0
Utf
11/23/2010 10:33:48 AM
Ole-Martin Grøtterud wrote:

> The only way I can properly work on my larger projects now

How many units does your project use?

--
Andreas Hausladen
0
> {quote:title=Andreas Hausladen wrote:}{quote}
> Ole-Martin Grøtterud wrote:
>
> > The only way I can properly work on my larger projects now
>
> How many units does your project use?
>

> --
> Andreas Hausladen

According to the project analyzer it contains 1084 units if that was what you were refering to?
0
Utf
11/24/2010 3:52:28 PM
I have the same problem here. I have around 120 forms.
So I will try to revert to the original version of XE.
I have reinstalled Windows 7 but it didn't help.

Sibo

> {quote:title=Ole-Martin Grøtterud wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Andreas Hausladen wrote:}{quote}
> > Ole-Martin Grøtterud wrote:
> >
> > > The only way I can properly work on my larger projects now
> >
> > How many units does your project use?
> >

> > --
> > Andreas Hausladen
>
> According to the project analyzer it contains 1084 units if that was what you were refering to?
0
Sibo
12/7/2010 2:43:36 PM
> {quote:title=Sibo Oskam wrote:}{quote}
> I have the same problem here. I have around 120 forms.
> So I will try to revert to the original version of XE.
> I have reinstalled Windows 7 but it didn't help.

Without update 1 Delphi XE runs fine.

What a waste of time..

Sibo

> > {quote:title=Ole-Martin Grøtterud wrote:}{quote}
> > > {quote:title=Andreas Hausladen wrote:}{quote}

> > > How many units does your project use?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Andreas Hausladen
> >
> > According to the project analyzer it contains 1084 units if that was what you were refering to?
0
Sibo

IDE Hanging issue
Hi, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, Delphi XE (and Delphi 2010). I have a largish project group that I've upgraded from Delphi 2010 into Delphi XE, it seemed to be working ok initially but now when I open it in Delphi XE I'm finding that the IDE just locks up shortly after I do anything in the project, for example I can start Delphi XE load my project (only the main form is open - not data modules or anything) and simply press F12 to change the Form/Source view and the IDE locks up, when I look at my WIndow s Task Manager it shows that BDS.EXE is utilising ~50% or my CPU reso...

Delphi XE Update 1 is now available
Update 1 for Delphi XE and C++Builder XE is now available. It's available first through the auto update system. It should be available from the registered users download pages within two hours and available in the full product installers and ISOs for purchasers, customers and trial downloaders next week. For more information, see the following. Update 1 or Delphi XE and C++Builder XE Readme http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/40881 Update 1 for Delphi XE and C++Builder XE Fix List http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/40984 Thanks, Tim -- Tim Del Chiaro Product Marketi...

Minor problems with Delphi XE after update 1
Hi, Running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit I've recently updated Delphi XE to Update 1. Since doing that I have the following glitches (not sure whether 2 & 3 are strictly speaking related to Update 1, but no.1 is I think related.): 1.) I get the following message in the messages windows on startup: Error executing 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\RAD Studio\8.0\bin\UpdateCheck.exe': Program cannot be found Is this file somewhere else? I did a quick search on the PC for the file but didn't find it, so it seems to really not be there... 2.) The IDE freezes for abo...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Delphi XE Update 1 broke FastReports [Edit]
Hi all, after installing Delphi XE Update 1 FastReports stop working properly: running Delphi (or opening any project) I see these errors: - impossible to find entry point @teengine@tchartvaluelist@getcount$qqrv on tee9150.bpl - can't load package C:\program files (x86)\fastreports\fastreport 4\libd15\dclfrxtee15.bpl (the package dclfrxtee15.bpl exists in the right folder, I've already checked). With Delphi XE - before update 1 - all the things were ok, but now this is a big problem for me because I use the charts on my customers reports... By the way, I've also rein...

Delphi XE3 - Update 1
Hell @all, I just tested the Update 1 - still a lot of "out of memory errors" - "external exceptions" - - "rlink32 out of memory" .... Error inside unusable - bombs out with out of memory - Code inside - don't even try .... I wounder what they fixed ???? Do you know how the word QUALITY is spelled ? Have a good night. Nils > I wounder what they fixed ???? Do you know how the word QUALITY is spelled ? KVOLITI ? Konstantine Poukhov wrote: > > I wounder what they fixed ???? Do you know how the word QUALITY is > > spell...

Delphi XE 7 UPDATE 1 FireMonkey, Drag & Drop Files... how?
I have an app and want to add drag and drop files support, i try this code for example: {code} procedure TForm1.Grid1DragDrop(Sender: TObject; const Data: TDragObject; const Point: TPointF); begin caption := data.Files[0]; end; procedure TForm1.Grid1DragOver(Sender: TObject; const Data: TDragObject; const Point: TPointF; var Operation: TDragOperation); begin operation := TDragOperation.Link; end; {code} and work correctly in a new proyect, but if i implement this in an exisiting proyect this no work :( what happen? how make this work? thanks and sorry for my en...

Delphi 2010 Help Update and Delphi Updates 4 & 5
I installed Delphi 2010 Update 4 a few weeks ago. Is there a help update that corresponds with Delphi 2010 Update 4? If not where can I find the latest help update. How do I update help? > {quote:title=Bill Miller wrote:}{quote} > I installed Delphi 2010 Update 4 a few weeks ago. Is there a help update > that corresponds with Delphi 2010 Update 4? If not where can I find the > latest help update. How do I update help? The last help update for Delphi/C++ Builder 2010 was Help Update 1, released around the first of November 2009. It's available on the Embarcad...

Delphi XE 7 UPDATE 1 FireMonkey, Drag & Drop Files... how?
I have an app and want to add drag and drop files support, i try this code for example: {code} procedure TForm1.Grid1DragDrop(Sender: TObject; const Data: TDragObject; const Point: TPointF); begin caption := data.Files[0]; end; procedure TForm1.Grid1DragOver(Sender: TObject; const Data: TDragObject; const Point: TPointF; var Operation: TDragOperation); begin operation := TDragOperation.Link; end; {code} and work correctly in a new proyect, but if i implement this in an exisiting proyect this no work :( what happen? how make this work? thanks and sorry for my en...

Installed Delphi 2010 update 4, but About box shows update 1. Did I update? [Edit]
I ran the Delphi 2010 Update 4 from the start menu's Embarcadero RAD Studio 10 > Check for Updates. It seemed to go fine. Afterward, my copy of Delphi 2010 is still showing it has Update 1 in the About window. I tried rebooting, but it still shows Update 1. I'm running Windows Vista, with a Standard User account. How can I tell if the update really occurred? When I go to Embarcadero RAD Studio 10 > Check for Updates now, it doesn't show Update 4 as an option any more. Edited by: Chris Irwin on Dec 15, 2009 9:00 AM > {quote:title=Chris Irwin wrote:}{quot...

IOS Setup in Delphi help
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_8d526.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" --JivePart=_8d526.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: application/msword; name="Create Profile for Delphi.doc" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Create Profile for Delphi.doc" 0M8R4KGxGuEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPgADAP7/CQAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFAAAAbwIAAAAAAAAA EAAAcQIAAAEAAAD+////AAAAAGoCAABrAgAAbAIAAG...

Android 5.1.1 and Delphi XE8 IDE Breakpoints
I was working on a project in Delphi XE8 and I use breakpoints a lot. I checked in my code and, before I left work, I started the Android 5.1.1 update on my Nexus 9 tablet. When I got back into work the next day, my breakpoints wouldn't work. I tried 2 different devices, with previous versions of Android, and the breakpoints worked on both of them. Has anybody else experienced this behavior with Android 5.1.1 and breakpoints not working? The red breakpoints have checks in them but they won't trigger and halt execution at that point. My OS is Windows 7. Nexus 9 tablet ru...

Help Update 3 for Delphi XE and C++Builder XE
Help Update 3 for Delphi XE and C++Builder XE http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/28256 Updated: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:52:00 GMT Is the update really new? > {quote:title=Ralf Stocker wrote:}{quote} > Help Update 3 for Delphi XE and C++Builder XE > http://cc.embarcadero.com/Item/28256 > Updated: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:52:00 GMT > > Is the update really new? I think so -- but it's nothing major. The update is really BIG though. Not worth it if you're in your cabin in the mountains with a 9600 baud modem connection. ...

Web resources about - Delphi XE IDE hangs with Update 1 - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech