Delphi Win32 applications on iPad?

Hello,

I'm not even sure if this is possible but I thought i would ask anyway.

I have developed a native Win32 application that runs in Windows using Delphi 2006 and I have been asked by my company to see about the possibility for the application to run on Apple iPad's.

Can anyone offer any advice or point me in a direction? From a quick google search the Delphi Prism XE IDE came up quite alot? can Delphi Prism XE open up and port my win32 code?

Chris
0
chris

> Can anyone offer any advice or point me in a direction? From a quick google search the Delphi Prism XE IDE came up quite alot? can Delphi Prism XE open up and port my win32 code?

Delphi Prism is a .NET environment. Depending on how you have structured your code it may be a little or a lot to get it to compile. If it is pretty modular with layers for business logic, data access, UI etc then you are off to a good start. If it is datasets dragged and dropped everywhere on forms and datamodules then there is probably a lot of work.

Craig
0
Craig
7/14/2011 10:34:33 AM
> I have developed a native Win32 application that runs in Windows using Delphi 2006 and I have been asked by my company to see about the possibility for the application to run on Apple iPad's.

No. At the moment the IPad is a beefed up Smart phone. It doesn't run Windows, It doesn't use an Intel processor. And it has neither enough memory or power to run a
Windows emulator. So you can't move native Win32 applications to the IPad. The only chance you have is to provide a browser based interface to your application.

Regards from Germany

Franz-Leo
0
Franz
7/14/2011 12:34:06 PM
chris Beard wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not even sure if this is possible but I thought i would ask
> anyway.
>
> I have developed a native Win32 application that runs in Windows
> using Delphi 2006 and I have been asked by my company to see about
> the possibility for the application to run on Apple iPad's.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice or point me in a direction? From a quick
> google search the Delphi Prism XE IDE came up quite alot? can Delphi
> Prism XE open up and port my win32 code?
>
> Chris

What you could do is setup up a Citrix server and let users connect to
the citrix. Citrix has clients for iCrap and BlackBerries
0
Kristof
7/14/2011 2:14:01 PM
> {quote:title=chris Beard wrote:}{quote}
> Hello,
>
> I'm not even sure if this is possible but I thought i would ask anyway.
>
> I have developed a native Win32 application that runs in Windows using Delphi 2006 and I have been asked by my company to see about the possibility for the application to run on Apple iPad's.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice or point me in a direction? From a quick google search the Delphi Prism XE IDE came up quite alot? can Delphi Prism XE open up and port my win32 code?

If (and a big if) your code is divided neatly into non-UI and UI code, you might be able to utilize the non-UI code with Free Pascal to create an iPad app. You _will_ need to create a completely different user interface, but that's part of the fun.

Take a look at this series of short articles:

http://web.me.com/macpgmr/ObjP/Xcode4/ObjP_Intro.html

Note that separating out UI from non-UI code is important regardless of what target you're redirecting to - whether a different desktop platform, mobile, or Web.

Thanks.

-Phil
0
Phil
7/14/2011 2:35:36 PM
You're best off making it into a Win32 web application, run it on a Windows web server configured to allow native apps to be run from, say, a scripts or cgi-bin directory, and adapt it so it can be run using HTML forms and query URLs. If you design it well enough, you end up as lucky as I am - standard HTML and Javascript runs anywhere, including Linux, Macs, Android phones, iPhones and anything else likely to come along in the not too distant future. Web applications have only one main form and should ne
ver stop for user input, since nobody will be there at the internet server to answer any on-screen prompts! You need to know HTML and Javascript well, to have Delphi or C++ output the kind of operational HTML web pages you need to interact with the end user. However, with a bit of patience, a good home-built Javascript library, and some cross-browser techniques, you can end up with a future-proofed app suite that everyone is happy with! Good luck.

--
Mark Jacobs
www.dkcomputing.co.uk
On 7/14/2011 8:03 AM, Mark Jacobs wrote:
> You're best off making it into a Win32 web application,

Ditto... Develop an Intraweb (IW) Delphi app and deploy where EVER you
wish.  IW is WELL suited to developing web applications.  I am speaking
from the experience of having developed very complicated enterprise
level applications.

HTH,

Regards,
Monte Carver
0
Monte
7/14/2011 3:13:45 PM
> {quote:title=Mark Jacobs wrote:}{quote}
> You're best off making it into a Win32 web application, run it on a Windows web server configured to allow native apps to be run from, say, a scripts or cgi-bin directory, and adapt it so it can be run using HTML forms and query URLs. If you design it well enough, you end up as lucky as I am - standard HTML and Javascript runs anywhere, including Linux, Macs, Android phones, iPhones and anything else likely to come along in the not too distant future. Web applications have only one main form and should
never stop for user input, since nobody will be there at the internet server to answer any on-screen prompts! You need to know HTML and Javascript well, to have Delphi or C++ output the kind of operational HTML web pages you need to interact with the end user. However, with a bit of patience, a good home-built Javascript library, and some cross-browser techniques, you can end up with a future-proofed app suite that everyone is happy with! Good luck.

Yes, that might work, but I suspect that is _not_ what the company is asking for. And you're really talking about a complete rewrite.

Remember that with any Web app that you're starting on these days, you really need at least two user interfaces - one for desktop browser (mouse, keyboard, lots of screen real estate) and one for mobile devices (touch, virtual keyboard, small screen, different look and feel to the UI).

Thanks.

-Phil
0
Phil
7/14/2011 3:16:30 PM
> {quote:title=Monte Carver wrote:}{quote}
> On 7/14/2011 8:03 AM, Mark Jacobs wrote:
> > You're best off making it into a Win32 web application,
>
> Ditto... Develop an Intraweb (IW) Delphi app and deploy where EVER you
> wish.  IW is WELL suited to developing web applications.  I am speaking
> from the experience of having developed very complicated enterprise
> level applications.

Although this is probably _not_ what his company is thinking of when they asked him about an iPad app.

Remember that on iOS devices, Web apps are not as responsive as native apps, transitions are not as smooth, etc. On an iOS device, this native look and feel is really important to users, probably more so than any other platform they use. Then there's the issue of access to the device's functionality (GPS, camera, contacts, mail, etc.). Many developers of Web apps are looking at taking the UI side (JS, HTML, CSS) and wrapping it in a native app using PhoneGap (http://phonegap.com). PhoneGap provides a cros
s-platform API for accessing many devices features: I've tested PhoneGap with iOS and it works as advertised.

http://docs.phonegap.com/

Thanks.

-Phil
0
Phil
7/14/2011 3:23:08 PM

> Remember that with any Web app that you're starting on these days, you really need at least two user interfaces - one for desktop browser (mouse, keyboard, lots of screen real estate) and one for mobile devices (touch, virtual keyboard, small screen, different look and feel to the UI).

Well... yes and no.  I work for a small outfit that in no way could
afford multiple interfaces.  But one of the requirements was to meet the
needs of Ipad /smart phone users.  We used IW to satisfy that need.
With the gesturing ability the screen size, although bothersome, is
quite functional.  Furthermore, TMS offers am IW component suite
specific to the smartphone.  So is it ideal... perhaps not.  But we for
example have an app that runs ANYWHERE, and our competition DOES NOT..

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Monte Carver
0
Monte
7/14/2011 3:25:06 PM
> {quote:title=Monte Carver wrote:}{quote}
> >
> > Remember that with any Web app that you're starting on these days, you really need at least two user interfaces - one for desktop browser (mouse, keyboard, lots of screen real estate) and one for mobile devices (touch, virtual keyboard, small screen, different look and feel to the UI).
>

> Well... yes and no.  I work for a small outfit that in no way could
> afford multiple interfaces.  But one of the requirements was to meet the
> needs of Ipad /smart phone users.  We used IW to satisfy that need.
> With the gesturing ability the screen size, although bothersome, is
> quite functional.  Furthermore, TMS offers am IW component suite
> specific to the smartphone.  So is it ideal... perhaps not.  But we for
> example have an app that runs ANYWHERE, and our competition DOES NOT..

Well, I would humbly suggest that the in-browser Web app is the odd man out on iOS devices. Look at some of the apps that come installed or are commonly used: Mail, Stocks, Weather, iDisk, Dropbox, etc. These are what might be called out-of-browser Web apps. Meaning they're native but still require a connection to be useful. And since this type of app is deployed via the App Store, it has a lot of the zero-deployment advantage of a Web app. Plus full access to the device's features, can open and create fi
les in its home folder, etc. - things that an in-browser Web app can't do.

Thanks.

-Phil
0
Phil
7/14/2011 3:33:05 PM
> Well, I would humbly suggest that the in-browser Web app is the odd man out on iOS devices.

Odd man... No doubt!  I dearly wish we had the budget and staffing to
develop apps specific to the iOS platform as well as the Win32.  But
alas... not currently an option.  But that said, if you don't need all
the GPS etc functionality, and are looking for a mobile application
which provides enterprise like data... IW does work.

One day perhaps, we may develop an iOS app specific to our needs...

now on to 3 cents.

Regards,
Monte Carver
0
Monte
7/14/2011 4:07:28 PM
> {quote:title=Monte Carver wrote:}{quote}
> > Well, I would humbly suggest that the in-browser Web app is the odd man out on iOS devices.
>
> Odd man... No doubt!  I dearly wish we had the budget and staffing to
> develop apps specific to the iOS platform as well as the Win32.  But
> alas... not currently an option.  But that said, if you don't need all
> the GPS etc functionality, and are looking for a mobile application
> which provides enterprise like data... IW does work.
>
> One day perhaps, we may develop an iOS app specific to our needs...

I feel your pain.

Thanks.

-Phil
0
Phil
7/14/2011 4:58:30 PM
Am 14.07.2011 10:03, schrieb chris Beard:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not even sure if this is possible but I thought i would ask anyway.
>
> I have developed a native Win32 application that runs in Windows using Delphi 2006 and I have been asked by my company to see about the possibility for the application to run on Apple iPad's.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice or point me in a direction? From a quick google search the Delphi Prism XE IDE came up quite alot? can Delphi Prism XE open up and port my win32 code?
>
> Chris

Hello,

if your application is not too complex you might be able to use
conditional compilation and use Freepascal + Lazarus for the iOS
version, as Freepascal already has a iOS compiler.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
7/14/2011 8:19:16 PM
> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
> Am 14.07.2011 10:03, schrieb chris Beard:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm not even sure if this is possible but I thought i would ask anyway.
> >
> > I have developed a native Win32 application that runs in Windows using Delphi 2006 and I have been asked by my company to see about the possibility for the application to run on Apple iPad's.
> >
> > Can anyone offer any advice or point me in a direction? From a quick google search the Delphi Prism XE IDE came up quite alot? can Delphi Prism XE open up and port my win32 code?
> >
> > Chris
>
> Hello,
>
> if your application is not too complex you might be able to use
> conditional compilation and use Freepascal + Lazarus for the iOS
> version, as Freepascal already has a iOS compiler.

Markus,

Not sure what you're referring to. Lazarus LCL has _never_ targeted Cocoa Touch.

Can you clarify what you're thinking?

Thanks.

-Phil
0
Phil
7/14/2011 10:56:18 PM
Am 15.07.2011 00:56, schrieb Phil Hess:
>> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
>> Am 14.07.2011 10:03, schrieb chris Beard:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm not even sure if this is possible but I thought i would ask anyway.
>>>
>>> I have developed a native Win32 application that runs in Windows using Delphi 2006 and I have been asked by my company to see about the possibility for the application to run on Apple iPad's.
>>>
>>> Can anyone offer any advice or point me in a direction? From a quick google search the Delphi Prism XE IDE came up quite alot? can Delphi Prism XE open up and port my win32 code?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> if your application is not too complex you might be able to use
>> conditional compilation and use Freepascal + Lazarus for the iOS
>> version, as Freepascal already has a iOS compiler.
>
> Markus,
>
> Not sure what you're referring to. Lazarus LCL has _never_ targeted Cocoa Touch.

Oh, but afaik there's a FPC compiler for iOS? Or am I mistaken? And if
there is such a thing, which GUI library would one use for creating apps
with it? You surely won't use a FPC for iOS to create console apps?

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
7/15/2011 6:03:24 PM
> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
> Am 15.07.2011 00:56, schrieb Phil Hess:
> >> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> if your application is not too complex you might be able to use
> >> conditional compilation and use Freepascal + Lazarus for the iOS
> >> version, as Freepascal already has a iOS compiler.
> >
> > Markus,
> >
> > Not sure what you're referring to. Lazarus LCL has _never_ targeted Cocoa Touch.
> >

> Oh, but afaik there's a FPC compiler for iOS? Or am I mistaken? And if
> there is such a thing, which GUI library would one use for creating apps
> with it? You surely won't use a FPC for iOS to create console apps?

Markus,

All your questions are answered here:

http://web.me.com/macpgmr/ObjP/Xcode4/ObjP_Intro.html

Thanks.

-Phil
0
Phil

Creating web-applications for iPhone, iPad and Android using Delphi Win32
Raudus is a web-framework and control set for Delphi. Recently a new version of Raudus was released. Now you can create web-applications for mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, Android-based) using Delphi Win32. Just have a look at video: http://www.raudus.com/demos/ Please give your feedback. Thank you! Igor Klopov > {quote:title=Igor Klopov wrote:}{quote} > Raudus is a web-framework and control set for Delphi. > Recently a new version of Raudus was released. > Now you can create web-applications for mobile devices > (iPhone, iPad, Android-based) using Delphi Win32. ...

Delphi.NET loading Delphi.Win32 Driver
Hi, What I'm trying to do is marshal an array of cardinal (or integer) back into managed memory from a win32 dll. I know how to pass managed memory into a win32 dll {code} var aa : array of Integer; Buffer : IntPtr; begin SetLength(aa,2); aa[0] := 1; aa[1] := 80; if not Supports(ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'Win32_Library\SDK_Driver.Win32.io', TypeOf(IMyFunctions), MyFunctions) then Exit; //loads the driver into memory. MyFunctions contains the method names found in the SDK_Driver. Buffer := Marshal.AllocHGlobal(2 * {Marshal.SystemDefaultC...

Converting Delphi for Win32 to Delphi .Net(Prism)
Hi, I am currently migrating a project from Delphi for Win32 to Delphi.net. Part of my code currently goes into a directory and pulls out a random file from this directory and loads the contents of the file for me. This code doesn't seem to work in Delphi.Net. It uses PString and a number of functions in SysUtils that don't seem to be present in Delphi.net's SysUtils file. If anyone can help me please, it would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Jonathan Mackey Jonathan Mackey a écrit : > I am currently migrating a project from Delphi for Win32 to &...

delphi Win32 using delphi .NET dll

Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

ActiveX differences between Delphi 7 and Delphi XE4 in an MFC application
When I create an ActiveX control based on a TPanel (with no added code) in Delphi 7, I am able to add this to a MFC C++ application and have it run fine. When I take the exact same code and compile it in Delphi XE4 (and XE2), MFC throws an assertion. I confirmed that the only changes are in the dcu, ocx and res files. The assertion is happening on ASSERT(wFlags == DISPATCH_METHOD); in occsite.cpp (I included the source to this). {code} STDMETHODIMP COleControlSite::XEventSink::Invoke( DISPID dispid, REFIID, LCID, unsigned short wFlags, DISPPARAMS* pDispParams, VARIANT* pvar...

Win32 Delphi language features introduced since Delphi 7
Hi, Am I right in thinking that the language features introduced since Delphi 7 fall into the categories: a) language features dictated by .Net compatibility. e.g. Namespaces, Inlining, records with methods, operator overloading, pure interfaces, generics, extended RTTI and reflection; b) Unicode strings and supporting procedures? c) 64-bit support What other language features, if any, have been introduced since D7? Had most of the post-D7 languages features, except for generics, Unicode strings, and 64-bit support, been introduced in or before Delphi 2005? How bug-free were ...

Understanding multithreaded applications in Delphi and Win32
Hi Guys, I'm building a multi-threading framework in D2009 that will be generic, easy-to-use and abstracts away much of the ugly details of threads and plan on releasing it as an open-source package. The framework is not universal in the sense that it does not solve all multi-threading problems, rather it focuses on the reader/writer problem where you have several threads creating messages and several threads reading these messages. The framework contains a thread manager that orchestrates the work, a thread-safe multi-read queue (unlike TThreadList) and a garbagecollector that mana...

I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, after i bought delphi 7
I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? "I embezzled some money from my employer, returned the funds, and then got it back as a bonus. Can I still be arrested?" Uhhh .... didn't you just confess to a crime? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an appli...

How to detect if my Delphi Win32 application has been installed by Setup ?
Hi, What I would like to know is how can I detect if my delphi application Win32 (from this EXE) has benn installed by a Setup.exe or .MSI ? How can I retrieve the list of applications installed under the current windows version (from XP and Vista too) ? Thank you for any suggestion or link or whatever... Regards, Laurent laurent pierre wrote: > How can I retrieve the list of applications installed under the current windows version (from XP and Vista too) ? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall ...

How to import *.jar to Win32 Application (Delphi 7) [Edit]
Hi all. Please I need help. I need some way to call *.jar from Win32 application to use its methods. This jar working in a following way: I should push as parameter xml file and jar program will return pdf file. Previously I was using ShellExecute to pass xml as parameter, xml was small. But I hit problem - error 'input line is to long'. Basically xml now to big - error caused by Windows command line limit. I started realizing that I need some way to import jar as class to my project like I can do with Ac tiveX or some way convert jar to dll. I have seen in internet JNI project where ...

Web resources about - Delphi Win32 applications on iPad? - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Development application for Holt golf course land open for public inspection
The developers selling 350 dwellings on disused parts of the Holt golf course have submitted their development application for public inspection. ...

Samsung Unveils the Latest Application Processor, Exynos 8 Octa, Built on 14-Nanometer FinFET Process ...
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced the newest member of its Exynos family of ...

MBA: Mortgage Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 18% YoY ...
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications fall 1.3%
Despite a sharp rise in mortgage interest rates, mortgage application volume was not affected as much as expected.

Thousands of Java applications vulnerable to nine-month-old exploit
A popular Java library has a serious vulnerability, discovered over nine months ago, that continues to put thousands of Java applications and ...