Delphi SOAP

I just now feel like one of those persons I don't like, that are quite frequent in this newsgroup, and that always keep complaining about things in Delphi. I am just very happy with the tool and even managed to do a lot of work in D2005! I just downloaded XE2 and feel quite happy about all the new stuff there. The time is maybe not optimal for this, but here goes anyway:

I am just working on extending my app with consuming a webservice where I would need MTOM support. Delphi doesn't support that, and that has caused me a lot of grief and sorrows the last months. Today I finally think I managed to trick the system to send a MTOM message. Just as a background to why I am writing this right now!

With all new shiny stuff in XE2, I just wonder: is Embarcadero leaving the web-service stuff behind? At the days of Delphi 6, Borland was talking a lot of the SOAP support. Today it seems to me poor Bruneau is left to try to fix a lot of support in the web services newsgroup.

I am well aware that any company has to make choices. I would just like to cast my vote for a much improved webservice handling in XE3!

/Anders
0
Anders

Op 2-9-2011 18:03, Anders Gustavsson schreef:
> I just now feel like one of those persons I don't like, that are quite frequent in this newsgroup, and that always keep complaining about things in Delphi. I am just very happy with the tool and even managed to do a lot of work in D2005! I just downloaded XE2 and feel quite happy about all the new stuff there. The time is maybe not optimal for this, but here goes anyway:
>
> I am just working on extending my app with consuming a webservice where I would need MTOM support. Delphi doesn't support that, and that has caused me a lot of grief and sorrows the last months. Today I finally think I managed to trick the system to send a MTOM message. Just as a background to why I am writing this right now!
>
> With all new shiny stuff in XE2, I just wonder: is Embarcadero leaving the web-service stuff behind? At the days of Delphi 6, Borland was talking a lot of the SOAP support. Today it seems to me poor Bruneau is left to try to fix a lot of support in the web services newsgroup.
>
> I am well aware that any company has to make choices. I would just like to cast my vote for a much improved webservice handling in XE3!
>
> /Anders
+1

albert
0
Albert
9/2/2011 6:00:02 PM
> {quote:title=Anders Gustavsson wrote:}{quote}
>
> I am well aware that any company has to make choices. I would just like to cast my vote for a much improved webservice handling in XE3!
>
> /Anders

+1
0
Christian
9/3/2011 12:23:49 PM
> {quote:title=Anders Gustavsson wrote:}{quote}
> I am just working on extending my app with consuming a webservice where I would need MTOM support. Delphi doesn't support that, and that has caused me a lot of grief and sorrows the last months. Today I finally think I managed to trick the system to send a MTOM message. Just as a background to why I am writing this right now!

IMHO a RESTful mechanism is more elegant than MTOM.
But of course, it's purely abstract and I suspect you need MTOM because your clients expect it.

> With all new shiny stuff in XE2, I just wonder: is Embarcadero leaving the web-service stuff behind? At the days of Delphi 6, Borland was talking a lot of the SOAP support. Today it seems to me poor Bruneau is left to try to fix a lot of support in the web services newsgroup.

I suspect DataSnap is the new direction of Delphi's Web Services.
It's still compatible with SOAP. See e.g. http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/27708
0
Arnaud
9/3/2011 2:15:20 PM
Arnaud BOUCHEZ wrote:

> ... and I suspect you need MTOM because your clients expect it.

No, it is the other way around - my provider uses it so I have to comply :-)

> I suspect DataSnap is the new direction of Delphi's Web Services.
> It's still compatible with SOAP. See e.g. http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/27708

Thanks for the link - I'll investigate!

/Anders
0
Anders
9/3/2011 2:23:49 PM
Arnaud BOUCHEZ wrote:

> IMHO a RESTful mechanism is more elegant than MTOM.

Yeah -- I'd *much* rather see a RESTful solution than a SOAP solution.

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
Arnaud BOUCHEZ wrote:

> I suspect DataSnap is the new direction of Delphi's Web Services.
> It's still compatible with SOAP. See e.g.
> http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/27708

Yep, definitely.

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
http://www.gatewayticketing.com
0
Nick
9/3/2011 4:06:46 PM
Nick Hodges wrote:

> > I suspect DataSnap is the new direction of Delphi's Web Services.
> > It's still compatible with SOAP. See e.g.
> > http://cc.embarcadero.com/item/27708
>
> Yep, definitely.

I feel a bit silly not quite understanding what is going on. Do you mean I can consume a WSDL with DataSnap and make it work just as if I had used the WSDL importer the "old" way. Documents? Links? Litterature?

Anders
confused
0
Anders
9/3/2011 8:01:10 PM
Anders Gustavsson wrote:

> I feel a bit silly not quite understanding what is going on. Do you
> mean I can consume a WSDL with DataSnap and make it work just as if I
> had used the WSDL importer the "old" way. Documents? Links?
> Litterature?

Anders --

No -- I mean that DataSnap is a complete remote server solution.

My personal view:  SOAP is fading.  It's chatty, harder to deal with,
and less effective than REST.

You can still import WSDL with Delphi XE2, but I suspect that doing so
will become less and less important.

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
http://www.gatewayticketing.com
0
Nick
9/3/2011 8:18:08 PM
Nick Hodges wrote:

> Anders --
>
> No -- I mean that DataSnap is a complete remote server solution.
>
> My personal view:  SOAP is fading.  It's chatty, harder to deal with,
> and less effective than REST.
>
> You can still import WSDL with Delphi XE2, but I suspect that doing so
> will become less and less important.

Ok, I see. I think you have an overview that I don't have on these matters, and out of a technical veiw you maybe you are right. But is there any statistics showing this is really happening "out there". I am working with connecting to the swedish national insurance company, and they developed a whole new system based on WSDL 3 years ago. Should I warn them? (I would very much like to :-)

The reallity is that the best technological solution is not always the winning one. But your view of course puts my wish for more WSDL in quite another light.

/Anders
0
Anders
9/3/2011 8:47:10 PM
Anders Gustavsson wrote:

> The reallity is that the best technological solution is not always
> the winning one. But your view of course puts my wish for more WSDL
> in quite another light.

I should stress that this is merely my view.

My *guess* is that WSDL importation will continue to be important, but
that SOAP Server production will not be, as DataSnap becomes more
powerful.

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
http://www.gatewayticketing.com
0
Nick
9/3/2011 9:31:58 PM
Nick Hodges wrote:

> I should stress that this is merely my view.
>
> My guess is that WSDL importation will continue to be important, but
> that SOAP Server production will not be, as DataSnap becomes more
> powerful.

I am fully aware that this is your view. That doesn't make it less important to me :-)

But, aren't we talking different things? DataSnap becomes more powerful - yes, but it is an Embarcadero thing. If you run servers/clients in an environment that you control in one way or another, that's one thing.

SOAP/WSDL is more general. Can I really build DataSnap servers that can be consumed by clients out there running java or whatever?

/Anders
0
Anders
9/3/2011 10:10:37 PM
Anders Gustavsson wrote:

> SOAP/WSDL is more general. Can I really build DataSnap servers that
> can be consumed by clients out there running java or whatever?

I think so -- I know that you can create a Delphi and a Javascript file
to no-brainer import.  I'm not sure about Java, but I think so.  And I
think for .Net as well.

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
http://www.gatewayticketing.com
0
Nick
9/3/2011 10:23:01 PM
Hi Nick,

> My personal view:  SOAP is fading.  It's chatty, harder to deal with,
> and less effective than REST.

I do not agree with all of that. XML is more bloated than JSON, OK, but
SOAP is still a widely used standard, at least from where I'm sitting.
The use of SOAP headers, certificates, etc. for security is still
helping SOAP being used today in many architectures, and doesn't make it
harder to deal with than REST.

> You can still import WSDL with Delphi XE2, but I suspect that doing so
> will become less and less important.

Time will tell. DataSnap is growing, but I still get hired to work on
far more SOAP based web service systems than REST. Could be me, but I do
not see SOAP dying any time soon now (existing architectures and
implementations aren't rewritten from SOAP to REST overnight, and even
new designs often use SOAP instead of REST here). Of course, if I get
the chance, I'll recommend and implement DataSnap ;-)

Having said that, extra SOAP functionality added to Delphi is always
welcome (it was my QC report with enough votes that got the SOAP 1.2
import implemented a few years ago) ;-)

Groetjes,
           Bob Swart

Chairman Delphi Development Network (DDN) powered by SDN - www.sdn.nl
Embarcadero Technology Partner - Delphi & RAD Studio Reseller BeNeLux
http://twitter.com/eBob42 LinkedIn: http://nl.linkedin.com/in/drbob42
Delphi Win32 & .NET books on Lulu.com: http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42
Personal courseware + e-mail support http://www.ebob42.com/courseware
Blog: http://www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: http://eBob42.com/weblog.xml
0
Bob
9/4/2011 7:31:27 AM
Hi Anders,

> Ok, I see. I think you have an overview that I don't have on these matters, and out of a technical veiw you maybe you are right. But is there any statistics showing this is really happening "out there". I am working with connecting to the swedish national insurance company, and they developed a whole new system based on WSDL 3 years ago. Should I warn them? (I would very much like to :-)

SOAP is not dying today, and not going away soon. Maybe think of it as
COM, as The Death Of COM has been foretold for many years, yet it's
still an important part of Windows. SOAP is even more important outside
Windows ;-)

> The reallity is that the best technological solution is not always the winning one. But your view of course puts my wish for more WSDL in quite another light.

If you want to WSDL wish granted: enter a QC feature request. It got us
the WSDL import for SOAP 1.2 servers a few years ago (see
http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=66864 where I also mention
MTOM, but at least we got 1.2)...

> /Anders

Groetjes,
           Bob Swart

Chairman Delphi Development Network (DDN) powered by SDN - www.sdn.nl
Embarcadero Technology Partner - Delphi & RAD Studio Reseller BeNeLux
http://twitter.com/eBob42 LinkedIn: http://nl.linkedin.com/in/drbob42
Delphi Win32 & .NET books on Lulu.com: http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42
Personal courseware + e-mail support http://www.ebob42.com/courseware
Blog: http://www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: http://eBob42.com/weblog.xml
0
Bob
9/4/2011 7:41:15 AM
Hi Nick,

>> SOAP/WSDL is more general. Can I really build DataSnap servers that
>> can be consumed by clients out there running java or whatever?
>
> I think so -- I know that you can create a Delphi and a Javascript file
> to no-brainer import.  I'm not sure about Java, but I think so.  And I
> think for .Net as well.

For .NET you can write some clients for DataSnap, but there's no full
..NET counterpart of the TDataSetProvider. Nor is there in DataSnap for
the .NET DataSet. And I haven't seen a Java implementation of DataSnap
for clients either...

So for open systems, SOAP is still a more acceptable choice today (just
like REST) over DataSnap. And sometimes the server is already there, and
you just have to implement the client. And if that means we need MTOM
support in Delphi for importing SOAP servers, then I believe that's a
serious request that should be considered. We should put in another QC
feature request, and see how many votes it will get. Surely, if SOAP is
dying, Anders and I may be the only ones to vote (but I think not) ;-)

Groetjes,
           Bob Swart

Chairman Delphi Development Network (DDN) powered by SDN - www.sdn.nl
Embarcadero Technology Partner - Delphi & RAD Studio Reseller BeNeLux
http://twitter.com/eBob42 LinkedIn: http://nl.linkedin.com/in/drbob42
Delphi Win32 & .NET books on Lulu.com: http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42
Personal courseware + e-mail support http://www.ebob42.com/courseware
Blog: http://www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: http://eBob42.com/weblog.xml
0
Bob
9/4/2011 7:45:37 AM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your support! Case 98519 filed!

/Anders
0
Anders
9/4/2011 11:19:25 AM
Nick Hodges wrote:

> > SOAP/WSDL is more general. Can I really build DataSnap servers that
> > can be consumed by clients out there running java or whatever?
>
> I think so -- I know that you can create a Delphi and a Javascript file
> to no-brainer import.  I'm not sure about Java, but I think so.  And I
> think for .Net as well.

The real problem - at least for me - is really the other way around: how can I consume services available out there? If I build the service *and* the client to consume it, I would assume DataSnap is outstanding! But that is not reallity. How good a job Embarcadero does, I fear they are not in the position to set the agenda. We need tools to interact with what in reality is out there.

/Anders
0
Anders
9/4/2011 11:22:47 AM
Hi Anders,

> Thanks for your support! Case 98519 filed!

I voted for it. However, if I had filed the report, I would have been a
bit more specific. MTOM import (client) support is probably more needed
than MTOM server, right?

So if you can edit that report, I'd recommend narrowing the request
(which IMHO will give you a higher probability of it being taken care
off) ;-)

> /Anders

Groetjes,
           Bob Swart

Chairman Delphi Development Network (DDN) powered by SDN - www.sdn.nl
Embarcadero Technology Partner - Delphi & RAD Studio Reseller BeNeLux
http://twitter.com/eBob42 LinkedIn: http://nl.linkedin.com/in/drbob42
Delphi Win32 & .NET books on Lulu.com: http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42
Personal courseware + e-mail support http://www.ebob42.com/courseware
Blog: http://www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: http://eBob42.com/weblog.xml
0
Bob
9/4/2011 1:23:36 PM
Thanks for the hint, Bob! Of course you are right. Done!

/Anders
0
Anders
9/4/2011 2:19:18 PM
Anders Gustavsson wrote:

> The real problem - at least for me - is really the other way around:
> how can I consume services available out there? If I build the
> service and the client to consume it, I would assume DataSnap is
> outstanding! But that is not reallity. How good a job Embarcadero
> does, I fear they are not in the position to set the agenda. We need
> tools to interact with what in reality is out there.

You make an excellent point.

Actually, I've not every really considered this -- how does one consume
a REST service?  Is there an equivalent to WSDL?  It seems like
consuming a RESTful service would be a very manual process.

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
http://www.gatewayticketing.com
0
Nick
9/4/2011 5:21:48 PM
On 2011-09-04 13:21:48 -0400, Nick Hodges <nick@nickhodges.com> said:

> Is there an equivalent to WSDL?  It seems like
> consuming a RESTful service would be a very manual process.

No WSDL equivalent.  It is a manual process because, unlike SOAP, REST
is not a standards based protocol.  It is an architectural
style/philosophy.

--
Kevin Powick
0
Kevin Powick wrote:

> No WSDL equivalent.  It is a manual process because, unlike SOAP,
> REST is not a standards based protocol.  It is an architectural
> style/philosophy.

I thought so -- and it is interesting.

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
http://www.gatewayticketing.com
0
Nick
9/4/2011 5:47:56 PM
Hi Nick,

>> No WSDL equivalent.  It is a manual process because, unlike SOAP,
>> REST is not a standards based protocol.  It is an architectural
>> style/philosophy.
>
> I thought so -- and it is interesting.

Yup, when it comes to "importing" SOAP vs. REST, I find SOAP to be a lot
easier ;-)

Groetjes,
           Bob Swart

Chairman Delphi Development Network (DDN) powered by SDN - www.sdn.nl
Embarcadero Technology Partner - Delphi & RAD Studio Reseller BeNeLux
http://twitter.com/eBob42 LinkedIn: http://nl.linkedin.com/in/drbob42
Delphi Win32 & .NET books on Lulu.com: http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42
Personal courseware + e-mail support http://www.ebob42.com/courseware
Blog: http://www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: http://eBob42.com/weblog.xml
0
Bob
9/4/2011 7:10:49 PM
Bob Swart wrote:

> Yup, when it comes to "importing" SOAP vs. REST, I find SOAP to be a
> lot easier ;-)

That's a good point.  ;-)

--
Nick Hodges -- Product Development Manager
Gateway Ticketing Systems
http://www.gatewayticketing.com
0
Nick

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi for PHP or Delphi PRISM

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Delphi 5 to Delphi XE4

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi and virus, or virus and Delphi.

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Web resources about - Delphi SOAP - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech