Delphi licensing question [Edit]

I'm hoping someone can tell me where to find an answer to this question.

I recently upgraded to Delphi 2010. Despite some nervousness prompted by posts I'd read here and elsewhere, I'm finding migration of Delphi 5 projects reasonably straightforward after a few key units of shared code were manually converted.

I have Delphi 2010 on my desktop. I would also like it on my laptop for when I'm on the road. Does Embarcadero offer any cheaper way to achieve this than purchasing another full license? Other software I use allows me to install on both machines but only use one at a time.

Thanks,

::Leigh
http://www.else.co.nz/

Edited by: Leigh Harrison on Jul 3, 2010 2:20 PM
0
Leigh

Leigh Harrison wrote:

> I have Delphi 2010 on my desktop. I would also like it on my laptop
> for when I'm on the road. Does Embarcadero offer any cheaper way to
> achieve this than purchasing another full license? Other software I
> use allows me to install on both machines but only use one at a time.

Check the license - it can be found in the Delphi/RAD Studio root path.

I guess you have a named user license and then you are allowed to
install Delphi on a reasonable amount of machines as long as you are
the only one who does use it.
--
Uwe
0
> {quote:title=Leigh Harrison wrote:}{quote}
> I'm hoping someone can tell me where to find an answer to this question.
>
> I recently upgraded to Delphi 2010. Despite some nervousness prompted by posts I'd read here and elsewhere, I'm finding migration of Delphi 5 projects reasonably straightforward after a few key units of shared code were manually converted.
>
> I have Delphi 2010 on my desktop. I would also like it on my laptop for when I'm on the road. Does Embarcadero offer any cheaper way to achieve this than purchasing another full license? Other software I use allows me to install on both machines but only use one at a time.

I think you can do this already.  The license server gives you several activations before hitting the limit, and AFAIK the software is licensed to you, not to your computer.

I could be wrong, though.
0
Mason
7/3/2010 9:38:05 PM
<Mason Wheeler> wrote

> I could be wrong, though.

But you're not--for a named user license, the pertinent license grant is
"You may install the Product on a reasonable number of machines provided
that the Named User is the only individual permitted to use the Product."

Concurrent user licensing also contains the phrase "on a reasonable number
of computers."--which would hard to interpret as not including both desktop
and laptop when a dev is bouncing between the two.

bobD
0
Robert
7/3/2010 11:47:37 PM
Leigh Harrison wrote:

> I have Delphi 2010 on my desktop. I would also like it on my laptop
> for when I'm on the road. Does Embarcadero offer any cheaper way to
> achieve this than purchasing another full license? Other software I
> use allows me to install on both machines but only use one at a time.

Leigh --

Thanks for the upgrade -- we appreciate it.

Our license allows you to load your copy onto a "reasonable" number of
computers for your personal use.  We only require that you be the only
one to use the copy, and that you only use one copy at a time.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Development Manager

> [...] and that you only use one copy at a time.

Nick--

Not sure I see that in the licence, and wonder if it's really the intent.

Scenario 1 (incidental multitasking): Working on a Delphi project and
somebody comes in and asks me to look at some code. I don't want to disturb
my open project, so I fire up a second instance of Delphi by
    - looking at their problem on my laptop,
    - hitting a KVM key combo and switching to a second box
    - turn to my secondary machine where my dev database (and a backup
instance of Delphi) is, or
    - open a second VM and look at their code there

Scenario 2 (extended parallel use): Licensed on RAD studio, I fire up
C++Builder on one machine and Delphi on another because I want to translate
some C++ code, and I want to be able to navigate around in both projects
while working on the translation.

Scenario 3 (extended simultaneous use): Updating a project to remove a
component dependency, I bring up the existing project in an instance of
Delphi that has the compenent installed, and a new instance for the update
project without the compenent installed. This allows me to jump to the units
that fail to compile because of undefined classes, and at the same time
bounce around in the working version to see specificly what the class is
doing in those units.

any or each of those would be a license violation?

Each of the above scenarios is, in my view, well within the types of things
a developer might want to do in the normal course of events.

Clearly the intent is that only I use my license--which would remain true in
all those cases. What would be the point of claiming that I'm not allowed to
multi-task?

bobD
0
Robert
7/4/2010 1:47:56 AM
Robert Dawson wrote:

> What would be the point of claiming that I'm not allowed to
> multi-task?

I don't know -- I just know that is what the lawyer tells me.  If you
need to use more than one copy at a time, you are supposed to own that
number of licenses.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Development Manager
Embarcadero
0
Nick
7/4/2010 2:54:01 AM
"Nick Hodges" wrote

> I don't know -- I just know that is what the lawyer tells me.  If you
> need to use more than one copy at a time, you are supposed to own that
> number of licenses.

Final scenario: Someone updates to D2010. Since an update doesn't constitute
a new license, he can't open a project in his previous D<whatever> install
while working on the update version in D2010.

Somebody with some tech skill and experience with how developers actually
work needs to explain to the lawyer s/he's being silly. Or perhaps the
lawyer simply misspoke--I don't see that stipulation in the written license.

bobD
0
Robert
7/4/2010 4:16:28 AM
"Robert Dawson" <bd@hillfort.com> wrote in message
> "Nick Hodges" wrote
>>
>> I don't know -- I just know that is what the lawyer tells me.  If you
>> need to use more than one copy at a time, you are supposed to own that
>> number of licenses.
>
> Final scenario: Someone updates to D2010. Since an update doesn't
> constitute a new license, he can't open a project in his previous
> D<whatever> install while working on the update version in D2010.
>
> Somebody with some tech skill and experience with how developers actually
> work needs to explain to the lawyer s/he's being silly. Or perhaps the
> lawyer simply misspoke--I don't see that stipulation in the written
> license.
>
> bobD

I think as long as you are the only person who uses your copy of Delphi one
license should be enough. If you open several copies of Delphi, only one of
the projects can have your full attention so technically you're using one
license.
0
Farshad
7/4/2010 1:11:23 PM
"Robert Dawson"  wrote in message news:257481@forums.embarcadero.com...

Scenario 1 ....
Scenario 2 .....
Scenario 3 .......
<<

I think this is an incredibly sterile and pointless argument.  No matter how
carefully worded a license is, there will ALWAYS be some scenario which
wasn't envisaged by the author.....  "Ah, but what about the case when <some
ridiculously contrived example>?  What about that, eh?  Eh??"

It's the same with laws, and contracts, and all sorts of other things.

That's why the world has lawyers.  We pay them money to try and convince a
judge that their particular interpretation of a license/contract/law is more
valid than their opponent's.

Do you really want to go down that route?

Surely the *spirit* of the Delphi licence is clear.  Use your best judgement
when applying it to your particular scenario.  Just as you do when you buy
Microsoft Home and Office software, or take out a lease on your car, or
drive your car down the road, or buy something in a store, or give your
neighbour a spare key and the alarm code to your house, or employ somebody,
or work for somebody........

You get the idea.  Lawyers are qualified - and paid - to argue the toss over
licenses, laws and contracts.  And they can happily use up your life savings
(and the rest of your life) doing so.  We aren't qualified.

There's no point in spending time on "Ah, but what about.....?" questions,
because nobody but a lawyer can answer you, and even then only after they've
rendered you poor for the rest of your life.

SteveT
0
Steve
7/5/2010 7:10:40 AM
"Steve Thackery" wrote

> I think this is an incredibly sterile and pointless argument.

Cost of civilization I'm afraid--we all use words, and need to have some
idea what they mean <g>.

Point was simply to provide a general sense that running multiple instances
(especially in the time of widespread VM use) is in fact normal and
necessary as a routine use of the product for what the product is designed
to do.

I'm not trying to get a lawyerly interpretation of the current wording
(something only a lawyer coud provide), but rather trying to provide
examples of normal use for the lawyers to think about before putting a
version of the license out that would severely degrade the worth of the
product. Lawyers do not operate in a vacuum.

bobD
0
Robert
7/5/2010 2:37:36 PM
> {quote:title=Robert Dawson wrote:}{quote}
> "Nick Hodges" wrote
>
> > [...] and that you only use one copy at a time.
>
> Clearly the intent is that only I use my license--which would remain true in
> all those cases. What would be the point of claiming that I'm not allowed to
> multi-task?

To me the keyword is 'use', and its meaning.

I think it is implicit, that an 'average' engineer CAN only USE one copy at a time. One brain.

You could very well launch half a dozen sessions, but you can only type in one window!!

eg I have multiple tabs on my browser, and sometimes Multiple sessions, but I only USE (aka Read/Write) in any SINGLE ONE at a time.
0
Jim
7/6/2010 3:37:56 AM
Jim Granville wrote:

> > {quote:title=Robert Dawson wrote:}{quote}
> > "Nick Hodges" wrote
> >
> > > [...] and that you only use one copy at a time.
> >
> > Clearly the intent is that only I use my license--which would
> > remain true in all those cases. What would be the point of claiming
> > that I'm not allowed to multi-task?
>
> To me the keyword is 'use', and its meaning.
>
> I think it is implicit, that an 'average' engineer CAN only USE one
> copy at a time. One brain.
>
> You could very well launch half a dozen sessions, but you can only
> type in one window!!
>
> eg I have multiple tabs on my browser, and sometimes Multiple
> sessions, but I only USE (aka Read/Write) in any SINGLE ONE at a time.

I couldnt have said it better.  The intent is that you  the purchaser
of the license be the only one to use it and not be sharing it with
other people.  If you have a 100 Delphis open on a 100 laptops, you can
only use one at any given time.
0
Bob

Delphi and Delphi Prism licensing question
When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence" or a "workstation licence"? Can I install both products on two machines I use with the same licence keys? I have a Mac Pro ("Cyrus") running Vista 64 in VMware and a MacBook ("Blacky") running Vista 32 in Parallels. Can I install Delphi and Delphi Prism on both Cyrus and Blacky since I use both machines (and like to have all dev tools I use installed on both machines at all times)? Andrew Brehm wrote: > When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence...

Delphi licensing question
Hello! I am using Delphi 7 (developer licence). For debugging purposes I would like to install a copy of Delphi on a production server owned by a business partner. This computer is a dedicated server used only for our system and I am the only one one who would be using Delphi installled on this server. Am I allowed to do this or is there another way (Remote debugging is out of the question for security reasons) Thank you for your answers Habo habo habo schrieb: > Hello! > > I am using Delphi 7 (developer licence). For debugging purposes I would like to install a copy o...

New to Delphi
Hi I am new to Delphi & want to know good resources for learning to use it. Is there a list of good Delphi learning resources (books/online tutorials) somewhere? What recommendations can anyone make for someone new to Delphi (& only a hobby programmer at the moment)? A couple of weeks ago I started with DelphiXE4 trial & have Googled for a few Delphi resources but I haven't found anything very good yet for me as a beginner. I'm just struggling along trying to learn as I go! (I'm presently struggling with DragandDrop...see [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17232...

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most important improvements between these versions of Delphi. The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for which we have licenses). Fire at will! -- Saluti, Alessandro Federici ------------------------------- "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." (Mark Twain) Alessandro Federici wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if any of yo...

Hello, we have one Delphi 2005 Professional here and want to upgrade to Delphi 2010, but we are a bit confused. Our distributor in Germany, ingram-micro offers several upgrade products: UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER FLEX RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - UPG UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED ELC UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED FLEX UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT FLEX What do they mean exactly and which one do i need? At the moment delphi is installed on two PCs and we want to use ...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi vs Winform
This might be a little techie, but I think most people here are familiar with Delphi to understand the difference between a TWinControl and TGraphicControl. I was trying to create a C# Winform project based on a Delphi prototype and ran into this problem which I posted to some Winform forums ... This led me to an *obvious* deficiency in Winforms programming. I'd like to hear your thoughts. My question to the Winforms forums describing the problem is copied below: <snip> Hi, I mostly do Delphi development but would like to start my next small work project in Visual S...

MVC in Delphi question [Edit]
I've been looking at some code examples for implementing MVC/MVP in Delphi, and one common theme really disturbs me. I'm not sure if it's just something people are doing to keep their examples simple or what, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm trying to wrap my head around this because it seems the IDE could do a lot more to help support these kinds of patterns if they didn't force everything to work as events on visual objects. Here's my (perhaps over-simplified) take on things: the UI part (the form) needs to collect events and forward them to the...

Delphi interface question [Edit]
In Delphi, interfaces are defined along the following lines: {code} type IConfigChanged = interface['{0D57624C-CDDE-458B-A36C-436AE465B477}'] procedure ApplyConfigChange; end; {code} At least, that's the pattern that most folks follow. Yet reading the help info, it says that the GUID following 'interface' is +optional+, only needed for compatibility if you're working with COM. So if you're not working with COM in any way, then the following is perfectly acceptable: {code} type IConfigChanged = interface procedure ApplyConfigChang...

Web resources about - Delphi licensing question [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Copyright Licensing Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article reads like a news release , or is otherwise written in an overly promotional tone. Please help by either rewriting this article ...

Supshot: photo sharing and licensing in one app
We’ve established that I’m not much of a photographer, but this seems like a good idea to me. The app is free to download on the App Store.

Licensing.biz - LinkedIn
A place for like-minded licensing industry professionals to meet and exchange ideas.

How does turntable.fm's licensing work?
3 question followers. Be the first to answer.

Hulu Licensing Twat Up - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Seriously hulu, I know you're working out deals with distributes but remember, a link in the inter-tubes is global and some of us aren't 'fortunate' ...

Licensing Gone Wild: Armed Government Agents Raiding Barber Shops - YouTube
IJ CITY STUDIES: http://ij.org/citystudies PAUL SHERMAN: http://ij.org/staff/627 POWER OF ONE: http://ij.org/about/3425 NEWS ARTICLE: http://bit.ly/ddqEGA ...

New licensing law for UAE transport firms
Companies will be charged varying amounts for each vehicle depending on what it carries, with tough penalties for those who fail to pay

Man behind famous Windows XP wallpaper wishes he'd negotiated a better licensing deal
The default Windows XP wallpaper containing rolling green hills, blue sky and fluffy white clouds may be more recognisable than the Mona Lisa, ...

Brand Licensing Europe 2015: YouTube Stars and European Americana
The European licensing market has been growing. The region is now responsible for 25% of the world's licensed merchandise sold at retail, according ...

Qualcomm could face fines in Korea over licensing practices
... 10 percent, hitting a four year low, following revelations that an antitrust investigation in South Korea has raised issues over its licensing ...