Delphi for PHP or Delphi PRISM

Hi,

I have the opportunity to develop a web-based library management system.
Nothing fancy, just being able to do the usual CRUD stuff for books and
provide a search facility. Borrowing is to be done via an email request
to the library admin who then sends out the book(s). Since both Delphi
for PHP and Delphi PRISM will enable me to develop the app, which one
will allow me to deliver it in less time and also increase (even how
small) my marketability as a web developer? Thanks.

Phillip Flores
0
Phillip
3/9/2009 1:01:22 PM
embarcadero.delphi.non-tech 5934 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Phillip Flores wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the opportunity to develop a web-based library management
> system.  Nothing fancy, just being able to do the usual CRUD stuff
> for books and provide a search facility. Borrowing is to be done via
> an email request to the library admin who then sends out the book(s).
> Since both Delphi for PHP and Delphi PRISM will enable me to develop
> the app, which one will allow me to deliver it in less time and also
> increase (even how small) my marketability as a web developer? Thanks.

PHP hands down for the marketing part. Delphi Prism is hardly known
outside the Delphi community.

Marco
3/9/2009 2:29:48 PM
Hi Phillip,

> which one will allow me to deliver it in less time and also increase
> (even how small) my marketability as a web developer? Thanks.

The Delphi Prism plugin inside Visual Studio should do the trick for
you. Delphi for PHP may cause more confusion (it's not your average PHP)
and may lock you into the VCL for PHP, which is a bigger problem than
the Delphi Prism language will be for your ASP.NET projects or your
marketability as developer.

> Phillip Flores

Groetjes,
           Bob Swart

CodeGear Technology Partner -- CodeGear RAD Studio Reseller (BeNeLux)
Delphi Win32 & .NET books on Lulu.com: http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42
Personal courseware + e-mail support http://www.ebob42.com/courseware
Blog: http://www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: http://eBob42.com/weblog.xml
0
Bob
3/9/2009 3:04:34 PM
Phillip Flores wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the opportunity to develop a web-based library management system.
> Nothing fancy, just being able to do the usual CRUD stuff for books and
> provide a search facility. Borrowing is to be done via an email request
> to the library admin who then sends out the book(s). Since both Delphi
> for PHP and Delphi PRISM will enable me to develop the app, which one
> will allow me to deliver it in less time and also increase (even how
> small) my marketability as a web developer? Thanks.
>
> Phillip Flores

May want to look at 3rd Rail instead of PHP. Rails is really, really
good for getting sites up quickly! Plus scalability may be a tad better,
since you can always take the Rails apps to JRuby and use the Java JVM
to tie into any Java apps and libraries.
0
Paul
3/9/2009 3:31:21 PM
"Phillip Flores" <pflores@zip.com.au> wrote in message
> to the library admin who then sends out the book(s). Since both Delphi
> for PHP and Delphi PRISM will enable me to develop the app, which one
> will allow me to deliver it in less time and also increase (even how
> small) my marketability as a web developer? Thanks.

You dont offer much info... for example, are you even going to be using
Windows-based servers?

In any event, unless you have Delphi code you need to re-use, plain old PHP
(not delphi for php) would be the better option for several reasons...

- it doesnt require the library to have a proprietary development tool
- your app can run on linux/unix/windows servers, so the library can use
what they want for a web server (without screwing around with mono).
- php programmers are everywhere, so if you leave the project and the
library needs someone else to work on it, a programmer can be found easily.
- If you want to increase your web developer marketability, PHP's probably a
better language to familiarize yourself with.

(the above 'pros' for PHP also probably apply to Python and Ruby)
0
Joe
3/9/2009 7:48:24 PM
If speed is what you required.  Nothing beats a fast development on a very familiar environment.

I suggest taking a look at for VCL for the Web aka Intraweb.  I can't wait to see what the guys at Atozed are preparing for their next release.

> {quote:title=Phillip Flores wrote:}{quote}
> Hi,
>
> I have the opportunity to develop a web-based library management system.
> Nothing fancy, just being able to do the usual CRUD stuff for books and
> provide a search facility. Borrowing is to be done via an email request
> to the library admin who then sends out the book(s). Since both Delphi
> for PHP and Delphi PRISM will enable me to develop the app, which one
> will allow me to deliver it in less time and also increase (even how
> small) my marketability as a web developer? Thanks.
>
> Phillip Flores
0
Esteban
3/10/2009 4:45:18 AM
> {quote:title=Phillip Flores wrote:}{quote}
Since both Delphi
> for PHP and Delphi PRISM will enable me to develop the app, which one
> will allow me to deliver it in less time and also increase (even how
> small) my marketability as a web developer?

Why don't you use Delphi 2008 with IntraWeb? We use it with great success!

--
Roman
0

With Best Regards.
Ferruh Koroglu
Web  : http://www.teksdata.com
Blog :  Teksdata Blog

"Roman Kaßebaum" <=?Utf-8?Q?Roman_Ka=C3=9Febaum?=> wrote in message
>> {quote:title=Phillip Flores wrote:}{quote}
> Since both Delphi
>> for PHP and Delphi PRISM will enable me to develop the app, which one
>> will allow me to deliver it in less time and also increase (even how
>> small) my marketability as a web developer?
>
> Why don't you use Delphi 2008 with IntraWeb? We use it with great success!
>
> --
> Roman
0
Ferruh
3/10/2009 2:54:17 PM
Ferruh Koroglu wrote:
> 1- For Intraweb, third party component support nearly not exist.

TMS and Arcana provide a plethora of options. In particular, the way that TMS
has Ajax-enabled their key IntraWeb components is tremendously useful.

> 2- Usually, delphi developer can't show intraweb future, but asp.net not
> same with delphi prism.

It existed before asp.net, and is not only being maintained, but actively
developed. And deployment options vastly better.

> 3- Intraweb develop speed very slow.

Huh? You must be confusing IntraWeb with InterDev. InterDev is no longer
supported by Microsoft :)

It's far faster than developing with PHP, Rails or any other framework I have used.

Loren sZendre
0
Loren
3/10/2009 3:06:34 PM
has Ajax-enabled their key IntraWeb components is tremendously useful.</div>
Only two !<br />
Unfortunately not capable for advanced project <br />
Maybe.<br />
Yes, but where advanced features ? <br />
Who is knowing ?<br />
Is there one document or Web link ?<br />
Best Regards<br />
Ferruh Koroglu<br />
Blog :  Teksdata <br />
Blog<br />
"Loren Szendre" &lt;zorenlendry at yahoo dot com&gt; wrote in <br />
message news:90858 at forums dot codegear dot com...<br />
TMS and Arcana provide a plethora of options. In particular, the way that TMS <br />
has Ajax-enabled their key IntraWeb components is tremendously useful.<br />
same with delphi prism.</div>
It existed before asp.net, and is not only being maintained, but actively <br />
developed. And deployment options vastly better.<br />
supported by Microsoft <br />
It's far faster than developing with PHP, Rails or any other framework I have used.<br />
Loren sZendre
0
Ferruh
3/10/2009 5:53:38 PM
Ferruh Koroglu wrote:
> TMS and Arcana provide a plethora of options. In particular, the way
> that TMS
> has Ajax-enabled their key IntraWeb components is tremendously useful.
>
> Only two !
> Unfortunately not capable for advanced project

Not capable for advanced project? You might have a hard time convincing the
thousands of users that have created huge, complicated, highly-useful frameworks
and large applications using IntraWeb, including myself. These large
applications not only perform very well, they are also very scalable.

> It existed before asp.net, and is not only being maintained,
> Maybe.
>
> but actively developed. And deployment options vastly better.
>
> Yes, but where advanced features ?
> Who is knowing ?

What advanced features are you talking about? Are you referring to IntraWeb's
Ajax support, or its ability to use JQuery, or Silverlight videos? What
specifically are you talking about?

Loren sZendre
0
Loren
3/10/2009 6:13:01 PM
I'm respecting to your ideas.

But I to be curious about interdev and intraweb both !

Is possible using intraweb on the interdev ?

Please send to me document or simple movie (avi, mpeg or another !)

With Best Regards.
Ferruh Koroglu

"Loren Szendre" <zorenlendry@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Ferruh Koroglu wrote:
>> TMS and Arcana provide a plethora of options. In particular, the way
>> that TMS
>> has Ajax-enabled their key IntraWeb components is tremendously useful.
>>
>> Only two !
>> Unfortunately not capable for advanced project
>
> Not capable for advanced project? You might have a hard time convincing
> the
> thousands of users that have created huge, complicated, highly-useful
> frameworks
> and large applications using IntraWeb, including myself. These large
> applications not only perform very well, they are also very scalable.
>
>> It existed before asp.net, and is not only being maintained,
>> Maybe.
>>
>> but actively developed. And deployment options vastly better.
>>
>> Yes, but where advanced features ?
>> Who is knowing ?
>
> What advanced features are you talking about? Are you referring to
> IntraWeb's
> Ajax support, or its ability to use JQuery, or Silverlight videos? What
> specifically are you talking about?
>
> Loren sZendre
0
Ferruh
3/10/2009 6:52:48 PM
> 1- For Intraweb, third party component support nearly not exist.

We are using the TMS components. They are fantastic.

> 2- Usually, delphi developer can't show intraweb future, but asp.net not
> same with delphi prism.

I'm not able to have a look to the future, but actually the intraweb components are developed.

> 3- Intraweb develop speed very slow.

We found for example a bug in the TMS components and they fixed it within a week.

Our goal was to migrate the existing Delphi desktop application to a web application, so we first tried asp.net with Delphi.net but the Delphi.net compiler was horrible.

Now it would be an idea to use the Prism compiler but it is difficult to compile the same code with Delphi and with Prism. But we will try it with the next version of Delphi.

We also tried Delphi for PHP but then we have to rewrite the whole code.

--
With best regards

Roman
0
Roman
3/10/2009 8:27:14 PM
Phillip Flores ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I have the opportunity to develop a web-based library management system.
> Nothing fancy, just being able to do the usual CRUD stuff for books and
> provide a search facility. Borrowing is to be done via an email request
> to the library admin who then sends out the book(s). Since both Delphi
> for PHP and Delphi PRISM will enable me to develop the app, which one
> will allow me to deliver it in less time and also increase (even how
> small) my marketability as a web developer? Thanks.
>
> Phillip Flores

Delphi + Intraweb +1
We have started with intraweb over older ASP model in last 4-5 months
and it is far more productive (especially with TMS ones) and offer great
code reuse.

I am wondering however, apart IW for std web apps, what would you folks
recommend, apart Delphi PRISM + ASP.NET for future webservices development.

Would you count rather on websnap/win32 wservices or better on ASP.NET ones?

Regards,
B.
0
Zlatibor
3/10/2009 11:31:39 PM
Zlatibor Urosevic wrote:

> I am wondering however, apart IW for std web apps, what would you
> folks recommend, apart Delphi PRISM + ASP.NET for future webservices
> development.

One of the following:

RTC SDK http://www.realthinclient.com

RO SDK: http://remobjects.com

kbmMW:  http://www.components4developers.com

All 3 have good reputations and loyal users.

RTC SDK - Probably a little more flexible, thus requires more hand
coding, but it's very solid and has great performance.

RO SDK - Great design time tools, built-in diversity for message
formats and communication channels.  Versions for Win32, .Net, and soon
XCode (OSX).  Great database framwork via their Data Abstract produt.
It also has SOAP out of the box, if you need it.

kbmMW - I've never used it, so can't comment, but a lot of people like
it.

I've used both RO and RTC since their first versions and continue to
use both of their latest versions.  Which one I prefer comes down to
the task at hand.

--
Kevin Powick
0
> I've used both RO and RTC since their first versions and continue to
> use both of their latest versions.  Which one I prefer comes down to
> the task at hand.

If you don't mind to share... for which tasks you think is best suited RO
and for which  RTC?
0
Roberto
3/11/2009 9:31:08 AM
Roberto Icardi wrote:

> If you don't mind to share... for which tasks you think is best
> suited RO and for which  RTC?

Most of my work is for clients, so it often comes down to their needs.
Some have certain platform choices or communication and protocol
requirements, such as SOAP (which RTC doesn't yet support out of the
box).

When looking at a new project, I don't automatically choose one product
over the other, but tend to start with RTC because I can quickly
prototype and code by composition.

I find this is a little more difficult with RO becuase it is driven by
interfaces generated by their "Service Builder", and making frequent
changes to your design means a bit of messing around with updating the
generated code.

On the less tangible side, I feel RTC gives me more
freedom/flexibility, while RO gives more structure and out of the box
features.

Over the life of a project, I don't find that I'm more productive in
one over the other, but as I said in my previous post, RTC usually
involves more hand-coding.

As with most development tools, flexibility and convenience are usually
inversely proportional to each other.

--
Kevin Powick
0
Phillip Flores wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the opportunity to develop a web-based library management system.
> Nothing fancy, just being able to do the usual CRUD stuff for books and
> provide a search facility. Borrowing is to be done via an email request
> to the library admin who then sends out the book(s). Since both Delphi
> for PHP and Delphi PRISM will enable me to develop the app, which one
> will allow me to deliver it in less time and also increase (even how
> small) my marketability as a web developer? Thanks.
>
> Phillip Flores
If you are just aiming for basic CRUDE functionality then it would be
better to go with PHP and use Dreamweaver CS3 or higher.

You will be able to implement almost every operation without coding a
single line of PHP. It is better than Delphi 4 PHP and Delphi PRISM is
another beast altogether.

For PRISM to work you will have to have a hosting provider supporting
..NET this means only Windows based servers will do.

HTH
0
Yogi
3/13/2009 4:23:21 AM
Yogi Yang wrote:

> For PRISM to work you will have to have a hosting provider supporting
> .NET this means only Windows based servers will do.

Mono on Linux is also an option for ASP.NET + Prism.

http://mono-project.com/ASP.NET

--
Regards
Jens

Any difference between Delphi Prism 2011 and Delphi Prism XE?
Looking at the features in Delphi Prism XE, they look the same as the new items in the 2011 release back in may. I there anything new in the XE release? or did they simply change the product branding? Just wondering if I need to update it or now when i download the rest. Thanks, Hi Dan, > Looking at the features in Delphi Prism XE, they look the same as the new items in the 2011 release back in may. I there anything new in the XE release? or did they simply change the product branding? Just wondering if I need to update it or now when i download the rest. See http://w...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi and Delphi Prism licensing question
When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence" or a "workstation licence"? Can I install both products on two machines I use with the same licence keys? I have a Mac Pro ("Cyrus") running Vista 64 in VMware and a MacBook ("Blacky") running Vista 32 in Parallels. Can I install Delphi and Delphi Prism on both Cyrus and Blacky since I use both machines (and like to have all dev tools I use installed on both machines at all times)? Andrew Brehm wrote: > When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence...

Converting Delphi for Win32 to Delphi .Net(Prism)
Hi, I am currently migrating a project from Delphi for Win32 to Delphi.net. Part of my code currently goes into a directory and pulls out a random file from this directory and loads the contents of the file for me. This code doesn't seem to work in Delphi.Net. It uses PString and a number of functions in SysUtils that don't seem to be present in Delphi.net's SysUtils file. If anyone can help me please, it would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks, Jonathan Mackey Jonathan Mackey a écrit : > I am currently migrating a project from Delphi for Win32 to &...

Any where to offer services as Delphi/Delphi for PHP freelance developer?
Hi, I'm a freelance Software Engineer. One of many that in current difficult days, is pushing for self-employment... offering services as Business Analyst and Developer, using Delphi, Delphi for PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL. Any where in this forum or other you might know where to offer these services to the world? Thank you, Guillermo Guillermo, The Delphi for PHP forum does have For Hire and Wanted For Hire sections if you haven't seen those yet: http://forums.delphi-php.net/ Thanks. -Phil > {quote:title=Guillermo Najar wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > I&#...

Why is there no delphi.debugger newsgroup but there is one for delphi.php.debugger?
I assume the proper place to post questions about the debugger is delphi.ide? Larry Hengen wrote: > I assume the proper place to post questions about the debugger is > delphi.ide? Yes -- John Kaster http://blogs.embarcadero.com/johnk Embarcadero Developer Network: http://edn.embarcadero.com Features and bugs: http://qc.embarcadero.com Got source? http://cc.embarcadero.com ...

Convert a Delphi 2006 WinForms project to Delphi Prism
How can I go about doing this short of recreating the project and transfering code? Just wondering what to expect if we go to Prism. Thanks. -- Don Gollahon Don Gollahon wrote: > How can I go about doing this short of recreating the project and > transfering code? > > Just wondering what to expect if we go to Prism. > > Thanks. Hi Don, Have you checked out the migration tool Oxidizer ? http://prismwiki.codegear.com/en/Oxidizer Cheers, John -- John Moshakis wrote: >Don Gollahon wrote: > >> How can I go about doing th...

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Web resources about - Delphi for PHP or Delphi PRISM - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech