Delphi, FireMonkey, cross-platform development, oh my! Any books written ye

I tend to be both fascinated by new software technologies and depressed by my general stupidity.

So I want to learn Delphi and FireMonkey.

Did anyone write a book for beginners yet that I can buy and learn from? (Ideally a Kindle book?)

(I am not a beginner when it comes to programming, just in the Delphi and obviously in the FireMonkey worlds.)
0
Andrew

<Andrew Brehm> wrote in message news:389250@forums.embarcadero.com...

> Did anyone write a book for beginners yet that I can buy and learn from?
> (Ideally a Kindle book?)

You should check Marco Cantu's web site to see what his plans are for the
forthcoming release of Delphi XE2. I think that he has been the only Delphi
author to carry on publishing for the later releases of Delphi. He also
releases his books on PDF so you should be able to read them on the Kindle.

His webite: www.marcocantu.com

regards
Mike
0
Mike
8/17/2011 3:48:40 PM
Delphi Books

 Marco Cantu : http://www.marcocantu.com/books/
 Bob Swart : http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42

But the new FireMonkey not yet, but anyway you can contact em and ask
them yourself when the new version will be available
0
Kristof
8/17/2011 4:01:09 PM
> {quote:title=Mike Brindley wrote:}{quote}
> <Andrew Brehm> wrote in message news:389250@forums.embarcadero.com...
> >
> > Did anyone write a book for beginners yet that I can buy and learn from?
> > (Ideally a Kindle book?)
> >
> You should check Marco Cantu's web site to see what his plans are for the
> forthcoming release of Delphi XE2. I think that he has been the only Delphi
> author to carry on publishing for the later releases of Delphi. He also
> releases his books on PDF so you should be able to read them on the Kindle.
>
> His webite: www.marcocantu.com

Thanks. Marco Cantu sounds best. I'll check his site (often) to see if he will publish  a book for FireMonkey beginners.
0
Andrew
8/18/2011 12:35:48 PM
Learning Delphi...

Works good with Marco Cantu books

and if you want to have a compressed overview and are interested into a step by step introduction - not in English but I also did not understand the native language spoken/written in Indonesia. I have reviewed it and it worked. Absolutely awesome.
Mastering Delphi XE by Eko Indriyawan

http://www.jagatreview.com/2011/06/peluncuran-buku-mastering-delphi-xe/
http://ekoindri.com/testimonial/mastering-delphi-xe/

http://gramediaonline.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=735496

FireMoneky - get to know the code ...and learn from samples ....

Mike

--
Oxygene Bunny Michael

Edited by: Michael Thuma on Aug 18, 2011 7:24 AM
0
Michael
8/18/2011 2:25:05 PM
A little late, I know, but my FrireMonkey book should be available by the end of August 2012 - possibly earlier. I am putting the finishing touches on it right now with the final few chapters being completed in the next week. Should be around 300 pages of notes, screen shots and code with accopmanying demo projects.

It will be self-published and available in PDF and Mobi formarts (the latter is compatible with Kindle).

http://www.coogara.com/BookList.aspx

Cheers

Graeme

> {quote:title=Andrew Brehm wrote:}{quote}
> I tend to be both fascinated by new software technologies and depressed by my general stupidity.
>
> So I want to learn Delphi and FireMonkey.
>
> Did anyone write a book for beginners yet that I can buy and learn from? (Ideally a Kindle book?)
>
> (I am not a beginner when it comes to programming, just in the Delphi and obviously in the FireMonkey worlds.)
0
Graeme
8/8/2012 6:23:34 AM
> {quote:title=Kristof Degros wrote:}{quote}
>  Marco Cantu : http://www.marcocantu.com/books/

It looks like that page hasn't been updated to show the XE Handbook, but it is here:

http://www.marcocantu.com/handbooks/default.htm

--
Regards
Bruce McGee
Graeme Chandler wrote:

> A little late, I know, but my FrireMonkey book should be available by
> the end of August 2012 - possibly earlier. I am putting the finishing
> touches on it right now with the final few chapters being completed
> in the next week. Should be around 300 pages of notes, screen shots
> and code with accopmanying demo projects.
>
> It will be self-published and available in PDF and Mobi formarts (the
> latter is compatible with Kindle).
>
> http://www.coogara.com/BookList.aspx
>
> Cheers
>
> Graeme
>
> > {quote:title=Andrew Brehm wrote:}{quote}
> > I tend to be both fascinated by new software technologies and
> > depressed by my general stupidity.
> >
> > So I want to learn Delphi and FireMonkey.
> >
> > Did anyone write a book for beginners yet that I can buy and learn
> > from? (Ideally a Kindle book?)
> >
> > (I am not a beginner when it comes to programming, just in the
> > Delphi and obviously in the FireMonkey worlds.)

Cool!  I'm looking forward to it.

--
Cheers,
Van

"Half of what I say is meaningless..." - John Lennon
"Your job is to figure out which half." - Van Swofford
0
Van
8/8/2012 1:56:40 PM
Le 08/08/12 14:56, Van Swofford a écrit :

> Cool!  I'm looking forward to it.

Can I just ask that someone who is more knowledgeable on FMX and OS X
looks in on the Delphi FMX group?

There is a thread "paramstr(1)" that desperately needs someone to help
these guys out with the relatively simple task of responding to a user
double-clicking on files to open them with an app?

I know how to do it in Objective-C but, from FMX … ???

Joanna

--
Joanna Carter [Team OOAD]
0

Delphi Cross Platform Game Development [Edit]
A little survey Would anyone be interested in a cross platform (windows, mac, linux) game development toolkit with Delphi/FreePascal compiler compatibility? This toolkit would take care of the boiler plate platform code to get a window up, change window/display states, give you mouse, keyboard, and joystick feedback, and abstract working with files, sockets, xml, audio, and 2D/3D graphics. Programs would be quite small and compact. They would also be stand alone binaries able to run with little to no dependencies. Possible program applications might include: Cross platform gam...

ANN: RealThinClient W/A Framework for cross-platform development with Delphi
A new update for the RealThinClient SDK (v3.11) has been released. RTC Web Applications Framework (included in the RealThinClient SDK 3.11) is now compatible with Delphi for Windows *and* Lazarus/FPC for Windows, Linux and MacOSX. RTC W/A Framework is very flexible and straight-forward, so that new components for cross-platform development can be added by anyone experienced enough in Delphi, but the purpose of this new framework is not to write components, it is to allow developers to use ready-made components for rapid rich cross-platform internet application development. An...

Any where to offer services as Delphi/Delphi for PHP freelance developer?
Hi, I'm a freelance Software Engineer. One of many that in current difficult days, is pushing for self-employment... offering services as Business Analyst and Developer, using Delphi, Delphi for PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL. Any where in this forum or other you might know where to offer these services to the world? Thank you, Guillermo Guillermo, The Delphi for PHP forum does have For Hire and Wanted For Hire sections if you haven't seen those yet: http://forums.delphi-php.net/ Thanks. -Phil > {quote:title=Guillermo Najar wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > I&#...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

ANN: wxForms for Delphi

Is dll developed in Delphi 6 works on Delphi 2?
I have a one dll, whose work is to creates a form with some normal vcl controls, print selected tables and email some reports. It was developed in Delphi 6. Can any other application which was developed in Delphi 2 use that dll.? If not, please let me know in which areas i need change. The dll work is only to print and email. With regards, Srikanth Varma Srikanth varma wrote: > I have a one dll, whose work is to creates a form with some normal > vcl controls, print selected tables and email some reports. It was > developed in Delphi 6. Can any other application which was d...

Delphi Prism and Cross-Platform
I own a copy of Oxygene . I only used it for some ASP.NET developement and never really looked at its Mono integration. Now its going to be shipped under a new brand with some new features. Now I wonder to what level we'll be able to deploy cross platform applications. Today I started a new app in Oxygene but couldn't figure out how to target mono. There are separate project templates under MonOxide category called Cocoa(Tiger), Cocoa(Leopard), WinForms (MAC OS X) and GTK#. 1) Can I start a new Windows Forms project and target it for all platforms? or 2) Should I s...

Widen the delphi developer demographic in wake of the release of Delphi X2.
I appreciate this question has been asked a million times, but there is an opportunity here for a massive resurrection of delphi mindshare with the release of XE2. What do you think emb's strategy should be? I understand that its not just a matter of pricing but pricing is a major factor if you just want to develop the skills to use the product in the commerical environment. Will cross-platform capabilities give delphi the cool factor? RealBasic is cross-platform but it doesn''t have a cool factor for me, I think because of the language. Does object pascal have the same s...

Delphi XE
I sure hope I'm wrong but I don't see any mention or even clues about the expected cross-platform support in Delphi 2011. In the first sneak peak video, we see the following: 1) When creating a new project in Delphi XE, the menu gives the same old options: "Package - Delphi", "Unit - Delphi", "VCL Forms Application - Delphi", "Form - Delphi". The absence of a "[Cross Platform VCL] Application - Delphi" is conspicuous. 2) In the closing screen, it lists all the products in RAD Studio XE. For the description for Delphi, it says, ...

ANN: Delphi XE2 FireMonkey BOOK
September 5, 2012 Coogara Consulting is pleased to announce that our new book is available: "FireMonkey Development for iOS and OS X with Delphi XE2" by Graeme Chandler. It is available printed (comb binding) or in PDF and MOBI (Kindle compatible) formats. Only from: http://shop.coogara.com Regards Graeme Chandler Coogara Consulting http://www.coogara.com.au http://shop.coogara.com http://www.strikingwood.com.au Graeme Chandler wrote: > Coogara Consulting is pleased to announce that our new book is > available: > > "FireMonkey Dev...

Delphi 2011 and cross platform debugging / testing
We heard some clues about Delphi 2011 in this forum. One of them was "design it in Windows (IDE), run it everywhere (Windows, Linux and Mac)". Does anybody know how we will debug and/or test cross platform applications from Delphi IDE? (I think that built in or plugged virtual machines may be the best solution from developers.) Hür Hur Akdulger wrote: > We heard some clues about Delphi 2011 in this forum. > One of them was "design it in Windows (IDE), run it everywhere > (Windows, Linux and Mac)". > > Does anybody know how we will...

Is cross platform Delphi heading to the correct path?
The application's current market trend is going either to web or mobile... 1. web <> native application. 2. mobile <> not for native delphi application - iPhone: only for c/c++ without VCL - Andriod: only java - Windows 7 Phone: only managed code > {quote:title=ahmoy law wrote:}{quote} > The application's current market trend is going either to web or mobile... Only for consumers. The business market is still almost entirely desktop, which means native Win32. Try again with real logic. > Only for consumers. The business market is still almost e...

Delphi Prism for cross-platform projects: Started a project
As I suspected Delphi Prism is ideal for my purposes. Since I am a hobby linguist, my program is a Hebrew verb conjugation application. I am trying to formulate all necessary rules including all exceptions in Pascal. Last year I implemented a working prototype in Objective-C. http://web.mac.com/ajbrehm/Home/Software.html It worked, but wasn't portable; and Cocoa is a bit of a hassle when it comes to string manipulation since it offers no native support for unicode regular expressions. I can re-use the GUI. This is how I am planning to proceed, slowly, of course, since I am lazy an...

Web resources about - Delphi, FireMonkey, cross-platform development, oh my! Any books written ye - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Cross-platform interchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Double cross platform interchange looking from one train through another train (which has its doors open on both sides) to reveal a third train. ...

INFOGRAPHIC: 63 Percent Of Cross-Platform Gamers Discovered Facebook Games Via Friends
A total of 63 percent of cross-platform gamers who responded to a recent study by casual games developer Arkadium said they discovered Facebook ...

Facebook announces the new Atlas: a cross-platform ad network
... announced the relaunch in a blog post: Atlas delivers people-based marketing , helping marketers reach real people across devices, platforms ...

The Shift-Option-K Apple Logo Glyph Is Not Cross-Platform
... property. You could argue that it’s the single most valuable IP asset the company owns. This means the glyph does not render on platforms other ...

Producteev - Cross Platform and Free Task Management for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App ...
Get Producteev - Cross Platform and Free Task Management on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Cross Media Social Platform - YouTube
The Cross Media Social Platform (CMSP) is a unique 3D multiparty live chat platform currently broadcasting a 3D environment on TV merged with ...

Disney’s ‘Movies Anywhere’ app comes to Android, brings cross-platform purchases to iTunes, Google Play ...
... be able to access their movie library featuring titles from Disney, Pixar, and Marvel from any of their devices. Because this is a cross-platform ...

The CMO's Guide to Cross-Platform Measurement
It's a simple request: Explain how a cross-platform media campaign is working. But delivering on it has been a monumental challenge that's never ...

Foursquare Launches Pinpoint: Cross-Platform, Location-based Ad Targeting
... trove of location data. Now it’s time to make more lucrative use of that. Foursquare announced today the launch of Pinpoint , a cross-platform, ...

Zynga to Launch Cross-Platform Gaming Network, "Zynga With Friends"
... million people play the company’s games each month. The problem is, Zynga says, those players are scattered across multiple devices and platforms, ...