Delphi developers who are also Python developers [Edit]

I'm interested in knowing how many Delphi developers here also have
expert level skills in Python/Django web-framework and use the same in
production / at work?

How long did it take you to get started and then up and running? What
were the best resources that helped in learning learn Python/Django? What are the difficult topics to master?

I'm applying for a job here in Nigeria that requires Python/Django, but
have only PHP (and some Zend framework) skills. I'm wondering how
quickly I will be able to pick up Python and then get up and running
with Django.


-- 
Steve Faleiro

Edited by: Steve Faleiro on Oct 29, 2013 12:28 PM
0
Steve
10/29/2013 7:29:46 PM
embarcadero.delphi.non-tech 5934 articles. 0 followers. Follow

2 Replies
342 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 30

Steve Faleiro wrote:
> I'm interested in knowing how many Delphi developers here also have
> expert level skills in Python/Django web-framework and use the same in
> production / at work?
>
> How long did it take you to get started and then up and running? What
> were the best resources that helped in learning learn Python/Django? What are the difficult topics to master?
>
> I'm applying for a job here in Nigeria that requires Python/Django, but
> have only PHP (and some Zend framework) skills. I'm wondering how
> quickly I will be able to pick up Python and then get up and running
> with Django.
>
>
I've recently done some work on a Django app( zero to production in
a few weeks, but I'm *still* trying to understand this code); but
then again I've been doing some Python code over the years.

Learning Python isn't difficult (Note: I am still learning it).  Just
make sure you understand that it's both case-sensitive *and* indents
are important, especially when writing functions.

Learning Django, on the other hand, is difficult(at least to me.
YMMV.)  As I mentioned, I've put up a django app up in a few
weeks(Disclaimer: the code was already in production. I was
just on point to move it to a different server and to
migrate the db and customize it to the environment.)

Python :  Learning Python, 5th Edition (By Mark Lutz)
             O'Reilly

           http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028154.do

Django : www.djangoproject.com
          : need to set up a system to fiddle with django
          : go through the tutorial

If you don't have a Linux system, you can try Python and Django on
a Windows system.
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5155317/does-django-have-a-windows-7-installer-i-couldnt-find-one-and-theres-little-me)

Edmund
0
Edmund
10/30/2013 2:22:53 AM
Edmund Wong wrote:

> Steve Faleiro wrote:
> > I'm interested in knowing how many Delphi developers here also have
> > expert level skills in Python/Django web-framework and use the same
> > in production / at work?
> > 
> > How long did it take you to get started and then up and running?
> > What were the best resources that helped in learning learn
> > Python/Django? What are the difficult topics to master?
> > 
> > I'm applying for a job here in Nigeria that requires Python/Django,
> > but have only PHP (and some Zend framework) skills. I'm wondering
> > how quickly I will be able to pick up Python and then get up and
> > running with Django.
> > 
> > 
> I've recently done some work on a Django app( zero to production in
> a few weeks, but I'm still trying to understand this code); but
> then again I've been doing some Python code over the years.
> 
> Learning Python isn't difficult (Note: I am still learning it).  Just
> make sure you understand that it's both case-sensitive and indents
> are important, especially when writing functions.
> 
> Learning Django, on the other hand, is difficult(at least to me.
> YMMV.)  As I mentioned, I've put up a django app up in a few
> weeks(Disclaimer: the code was already in production. I was
> just on point to move it to a different server and to
> migrate the db and customize it to the environment.)
> 
> Python :  Learning Python, 5th Edition (By Mark Lutz)
>              O'Reilly
> 
>            http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028154.do
> 
> Django : www.djangoproject.com
>           : need to set up a system to fiddle with django
>           : go through the tutorial
> 
> If you don't have a Linux system, you can try Python and Django on
> a Windows system.
>
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5155317/does-django-have-a-windows-7-installer-i-couldnt-find-one-and-theres-little-me)
> 
> Edmund

Thank you, Edmund!


-- 
Steve Faleiro
0
Steve
10/30/2013 5:09:53 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Difference between ASE 12.5.1 Developer's Edition and non-Developer's Edition
I am looking for differences between the free developers edition of ASE12.5.1 and the regular ASE 12.5.1. I noticed the OCS-12_5 in the Developer's Edition does not have the include directory and the lib directory only has the .so files and not the .a files. Any help? On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:02:05 -0700, wrote: > I am looking for differences between the free developers edition of > ASE12.5.1 and the regular ASE 12.5.1. I noticed the OCS-12_5 in the > Developer's Edition does not have the include directory and the lib > directory only has the .so files and not...

ANN: wxForms for Delphi
We are pleased to announce the release of our wxWidgets Form Designer for Delphi - wxForms for Delphi 1.1. wxForms for Delphi is an integrated form designer plugin for Borland /CodeGear Delphi that helps to create cross platform applications for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux using single source base. The wxForms code from Delphi can be compiled in Mac OSX and Linux without much change using FreePascal. wxForms for Delphi allows you to use all the Delphi's powerful Form Designer/ Editor features (Form Alignment, Object inspector, Component Palette etc ) to quickly create Cross platfor...

Is dll developed in Delphi 6 works on Delphi 2?
I have a one dll, whose work is to creates a form with some normal vcl controls, print selected tables and email some reports. It was developed in Delphi 6. Can any other application which was developed in Delphi 2 use that dll.? If not, please let me know in which areas i need change. The dll work is only to print and email. With regards, Srikanth Varma Srikanth varma wrote: > I have a one dll, whose work is to creates a form with some normal > vcl controls, print selected tables and email some reports. It was > developed in Delphi 6. Can any other application which was d...

Any where to offer services as Delphi/Delphi for PHP freelance developer?
Hi, I'm a freelance Software Engineer. One of many that in current difficult days, is pushing for self-employment... offering services as Business Analyst and Developer, using Delphi, Delphi for PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL. Any where in this forum or other you might know where to offer these services to the world? Thank you, Guillermo Guillermo, The Delphi for PHP forum does have For Hire and Wanted For Hire sections if you haven't seen those yet: http://forums.delphi-php.net/ Thanks. -Phil > {quote:title=Guillermo Najar wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > I&#...

Delphi Developer
Name: Darien Jael Email: cafc79atyahoodotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Alpha 1 Summary: Delphi Developer Comments: I hope to help you Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20061204 GranParadiso/3.0a1 ...

Google+ Delphi Developer Community [Edit]
Google just added Communities to Google+. Naturally, I created an open community for Delphi Developers: http://plus.google.com/communities/103113685381486591754 If you are on Google+, feel free to visit and join up. -- http://plus.lars.fosdal.com Edited by: Lars Fosdal on Dec 7, 2012 10:21 AM > {quote:title=Lars Fosdal wrote:}{quote} > Google just added Communities to Google+. > > Naturally, I created an open community for Delphi Developers: http://plus.google.com/communities/103113685381486591754 > > If you are on Google+, feel free to visit and join ...

Delphi for a VB.NET developer [Edit]
Hi EDN, I have been a VB.NET developer for about three years and have become very comfortable with it. But now I need to develop a small program that will run faster, natively, and without the need for .NET framework being installed. I chose Delphi because I am used to object oriented program and I have learned Dev Pascal a few years back in college. As I am refreshing my memory about the Object Pascal program structure I want to try and compare this to what I know about vb.net. Here are a few of my questions: 1. In Delphi you MUST create an interface before you can create a class. You c...

Delphi developer Facebook page [Edit]
Hello, I would like to invite everyone to join the Delphi developer Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/137012246341854/ It's 2500 members strong and growing each day. This group is kept clean and very well maintained by Jon Aasenden, Peter Dunne and Glenn Dufke. Come join us. Slobodan Dmitrovic wrote: > This group is kept clean and very well maintained by Jon Aasenden, > Peter Dunne and Glenn Dufke. And people are wondering why this old place is starting to fade..... -- Nick Delphi Programming is Fun I think it's turned around quite a bit rece...

Widen the delphi developer demographic in wake of the release of Delphi X2.
I appreciate this question has been asked a million times, but there is an opportunity here for a massive resurrection of delphi mindshare with the release of XE2. What do you think emb's strategy should be? I understand that its not just a matter of pricing but pricing is a major factor if you just want to develop the skills to use the product in the commerical environment. Will cross-platform capabilities give delphi the cool factor? RealBasic is cross-platform but it doesn''t have a cool factor for me, I think because of the language. Does object pascal have the same s...

A Delphi Developers Guide for 4K Displays [Edit]
After getting through this myself for our own product (we are still not done), I decided to put the experiences into a tutorial, how to make a Delphi application dpi-aware and, more importantly, what to do to make it really work. This tutorial intends to help you getting your Delphi Windows applications ready for ultra-high resolution ("4K") displays. It covers all topics from Delphi's UI scaling on systems with large fonts to per-monitor DPI-awareness on Windows 8.1: * Dots per Inch (DPI) explained * Windows and DPI, Delphi and DPI * Testing high resolutions * DPI virtu...

Delphi Cross Platform Game Development [Edit]
A little survey Would anyone be interested in a cross platform (windows, mac, linux) game development toolkit with Delphi/FreePascal compiler compatibility? This toolkit would take care of the boiler plate platform code to get a window up, change window/display states, give you mouse, keyboard, and joystick feedback, and abstract working with files, sockets, xml, audio, and 2D/3D graphics. Programs would be quite small and compact. They would also be stand alone binaries able to run with little to no dependencies. Possible program applications might include: Cross platform gam...

BDE redistributable on Delphi 2 Developer CD? [Edit]
Does anyone now where on the Delphi 2 CD I can find the BDE redistributable? I can find the 16-bit one belonging to Delphi 1 in its subdirectory, but not the 32-bit one for Delphi 2 itself. /Ulf Edited by: Ulf Axelsson on Feb 4, 2009 12:26 AM On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 00:27:13 -0800, Ulf Axelsson wrote: > Does anyone now where on the Delphi 2 CD I can find the BDE redistributable? I can find the 16-bit one belonging to Delphi 1 in its subdirectory, but not the 32-bit one for Delphi 2 itself. There is a merge module available on CGs website: http://dn.codegear.com/article/25915 --...

Best windows for delphi development under MacOS VM? [Edit]
Ive recently made the jump to a macbook pro so I can develop for both platforms on one box and was wondering from other peoples experience what version of windows (xp, vista, win7) is best to use in dual boot and VM for delphi development? Im thinking XP would have the lowest memory requirements but curious if there are any drawbacks to it or if others have advantages. Edited by: Dan Ridenhour on Jul 19, 2009 11:10 AM Dan Ridenhour a écrit : > Ive recently made the jump to a macbook pro so I can develop for both > platforms on one box and was wondering from other peoples...

Delphi XE DataSnap Development Essentials
Hi All, I've just published the first 143-page PDF edition of Delphi XE DataSnap Development Essentials at http://www.eBob42.com/courseware available for 99 Euro (plus 19% VAT where required), for which you also get the 290-page Delphi XE Development Essentials as a free bonus PDF. The first edition of the Delphi XE DataSnap Development courseware manual contains sections about: - DataSnap History and Example Data - DataSnap Server Targets (and Wizards) - DataSnap Security - DataSnap Server Components - DataSnap Server Deployment - DataSnap Clients - DataSnap and Datab...

Web resources about - Delphi developers who are also Python developers [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

OS X 10.11.3 developer beta 1 hits the Mac App Store
In addition to iOS 9.2.1 beta 1 , Apple has released OS X 10.11.3 developer beta 1 through the Mac App Store. The pre-release software doesn’t ...

Apple seeds the first beta version of iOS 9.2.1 to registered developers
... than a week after introducing iOS 9.2 to the general public , Apple has just seeded the first beta version of iOS 9.2.1. to registered developers. ...

"Ehsan Abdulaziz, a Saudi millionaire property developer, was cleared of rape charges in London this ...
"... on an 18-year-old girl who was sleeping at his apartment after partying with him, penetrating her by accident.... [H]e said his penis might ...

Our new global program for Developer Agencies
Posted by Uttam Kumar Tripathi , Global Lead, Developer Agency Program The Google Developers team supports a number of global programs geared ...

Apple really wants developers to incorporate the iPhone's newest feature into apps
Apple has sent developers an email encouraging them to "find out how your apps can take full advantage of 3D Touch," according to MacRumors . ...

AMD was so angry at Geralt's hair, it made an open-source graphics API for developers
Nvidia’s GameWorks is a widely used toolkit that allows developers to add fancy visual effects to their game and cool physics simulations to ...

Developer diversity changes the way video games are made
In 2003, BioWare developers working on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic hid a fact about one of the game's characters from their own marketing ...

Developer diversity changes the way video games are made
The definition of a 'normal' game has shifted in the past 10 years (even if the online comments haven't). In 2003, BioWare developers working ...

Resources last updated: 12/17/2015 5:03:55 PM