Delphi Designer Problem [Edit]

An older Delphi application consisting of many projects (a host exe and several plug in libraries) was thrown my way today and it has a problem.

The problem lies in the way Delphi is choosing which designer to use when displaying a data module for one particular plug in library project. Each plug in library has one data module which inherits from a shared base data module unit. The base data module published some new properties like version (string), serial (string), and security (integer), etc.

In all the plug in library projects, when you open the derived data module Delphi picks the correct designer (a data module designer, the one that defaults to a white background) and displays those new published properties in the object inspector. But this is not so with this one particular plug in library. When its data module is opened, Delphi chooses the wrong designer while displaying error messages such as "invalid field serial", wiping the information from the dfm file (if you save it after that poi
nt). It also looks like Delphi is choosing the form designer (the background is button face color), rather than a designer based of the base data module. This is a bad thing.

I would like to know is what do I need to do to get Delphi to use the same designer as with the other plug in library projects? I've looked at the project source for a working library and the one which is malfunctioning, and they seem the same in all the important areas. The dfms look pretty much the same, and the units source code looks the same. I've double and triple checked. I have no idea when this library switched to using the wrong designer, but I need to get it fixed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do?

Anthony
1/13/2010 3:29:07 PM
embarcadero.delphi.non-tech 5934 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I think I had the same problem before, you will have to open the base share
form prior to open the inherited one.

William

<Anthony Walter> wrote in message news:202616@forums.codegear.com...
> An older Delphi application consisting of many projects (a host exe and
> several plug in libraries) was thrown my way today and it has a problem.
>
> The problem lies in the way Delphi is choosing which designer to use when
> displaying a data module for one particular plug in library project. Each
> plug in library has one data module which inherits from a shared base data
> module unit. The base data module published some new properties like
> version (string), serial (string), and security (integer), etc.
>
> In all the plug in library projects, when you open the derived data module
> Delphi picks the correct designer (a data module designer, the one that
> defaults to a white background) and displays those new published
> properties in the object inspector. But this is not so with this one
> particular plug in library. When its data module is opened, Delphi chooses
> the wrong designer while displaying error messages such as "invalid field
> serial", wiping the information from the dfm file (if you save it after
> that poi
> nt). It also looks like Delphi is choosing the form designer (the
> background is button face color), rather than a designer based of the base
> data module. This is a bad thing.
>
> I would like to know is what do I need to do to get Delphi to use the same
> designer as with the other plug in library projects? I've looked at the
> project source for a working library and the one which is malfunctioning,
> and they seem the same in all the important areas. The dfms look pretty
> much the same, and the units source code looks the same. I've double and
> triple checked. I have no idea when this library switched to using the
> wrong designer, but I need to get it fixed.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do?
>
> Thanks
0
William
1/13/2010 3:46:22 PM
Well, interestingly, the base data module class is defined *without* a dfm. That is to say, it's in just a pas unit which says "TBasePlugin = class(TDataModule) ... properties here ... end;" and no designer.

Anyhow, I fixed it. The problem was solution was quite unobvious. Basically the base data module class is in some package, the other projects loaded that package in their project options, but for some reason that package was exluded from the project causing the problem. When I enabled the package and reopened the project, I got the correct designer.
0
Anthony

Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE Crystal BPL problem [Edit]
I am in the process of migrating our application from Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE and, for ease of use, I have both 2006 and XE installed on my development computer. I access Crystal Reports XI RDC in our application and so I rebuilt the BPL in XE in order to add the new package to XE. However, when I try to add the package to XE I get the error message: “Registration procedure, Craxddrt_tbl.Register in the package c:\Documents and Settings\All Uers\Documents\RADS Studio\8.0\BPL\Crystal.bpl raised exception class EFilerError: Component TDatabase can’t be registered by package crystal.bpl be...

New to Delphi
Hi I am new to Delphi & want to know good resources for learning to use it. Is there a list of good Delphi learning resources (books/online tutorials) somewhere? What recommendations can anyone make for someone new to Delphi (& only a hobby programmer at the moment)? A couple of weeks ago I started with DelphiXE4 trial & have Googled for a few Delphi resources but I haven't found anything very good yet for me as a beginner. I'm just struggling along trying to learn as I go! (I'm presently struggling with DragandDrop...see [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17232...

Problem with Delphi 6 to Delphi 7 upgrade
I have just purchased Delphi XE because I have an immediate need of D7 which came for free with XE. I downloaded and installed D7 and I think I applied the Update 1 that I had also downloaded. After much messing around with old components, I have finally attempted to compile my D6 project with D7. I get the following error:- [Fatal Error] apm.dpr(225): Unit ExtDlgs was compiled with a different version of ExtCtrls.TPanel I have checked the library paths all point to D7 versions of everything and now am at a loss to know what to do next. Also checked the sequence to make sure that al...

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Problem using InstallAware 7 CodeGear Special Edition with Delphi 2010 [Edit]
Hi Everyone, I am trying to create an installation disk for my delphi 2010 application using the installAware that kind of comes with Delphi 2010. When I try to built it, it keeps giving me the error message:- No files matching pattern "C:\Windows\system32\\*120.bpl" and when I look into my windows\system32 folder, there the files with extension *.bpl end with *140.bpl and not *120.bpl like it was expected. Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong or how I can get around this. Thanks in advance. Edited by: Tat Hon Chu on Dec 3, 2009 12:55 AM > {quo...

Delphi vs Winform
This might be a little techie, but I think most people here are familiar with Delphi to understand the difference between a TWinControl and TGraphicControl. I was trying to create a C# Winform project based on a Delphi prototype and ran into this problem which I posted to some Winform forums ... This led me to an *obvious* deficiency in Winforms programming. I'd like to hear your thoughts. My question to the Winforms forums describing the problem is copied below: <snip> Hi, I mostly do Delphi development but would like to start my next small work project in Visual S...

Hello, we have one Delphi 2005 Professional here and want to upgrade to Delphi 2010, but we are a bit confused. Our distributor in Germany, ingram-micro offers several upgrade products: UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER FLEX RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - UPG UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED ELC UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED FLEX UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT FLEX What do they mean exactly and which one do i need? At the moment delphi is installed on two PCs and we want to use ...

Delphi
Hi, I'm trying to make an application that connects to the specyfic device and read some data... thay are in strings... Device producer give Delphi library that works but instead of number (string with number '1234.67') I get kind of chinesse letters.. if I do AnsiString := String there is '??????d' string instead od chinnesse :-) with other string I get without last letter i.e.: 'Unknow'. http://i.imgur.com/jP47wgC.png The library was made for Delphi 7 and is open in XE5... In future I'd like to use it in FMX also... Sebastian wrote: > I&#...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Text.Write speed
Hi ! I have speed troubles for using Text.Write method in Delphi 2006, particularly with distant files (local network). For example, with the following code ("F" is a text file ; "Line" is an about 200-character string): ----- AssignFile(F, FileName); try Rewrite(F); for l := 1 to 100 do begin for c := 1 to Length(Line) do Write(F, Line[c]); Writeln(F); end; finally CloseFile(F); end; ----- On a distant file: Delphi 5 -> 0.08 seconds Delphi 2006 -> close to 8 seconds Is there a speci...

Web resources about - Delphi Designer Problem [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Designer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Classically, the main areas of design were only painting , sculpture and architecture , which were understood as the major arts. The design of ...

Web Designer Wall – Design Trends and Tutorials
Web Designer Wall is a blog designed and maintained by Nick La. Topics focus on web design, tutorials, and modern design trends.

Shop top designers now using Apple Pay with Gilt
... popular app for shopping luxury brands with huge discounts has received an update that includes Apple Pay. Gilt now makes grabbing those designer ...

Google Spruces Up Android Wear With New Designer Faces
... it comes to wearables, and while smartwatch manufacturers are still figuring out how to physically make them look great, a lot of top designers ...

Google adds new designer watch faces to Android Wear
Watch faces from the likes of Ted Baker, Melissa Joy Manning, and Mango are available now.

WME Signs Robert Stromberg, ‘Maleficent’ Helmer & ‘Avatar’ Production Designer
EXCLUSIVE : WME has signed Robert Stromberg , the Oscar-winning production designer of Avatar and Alice In Wonderland whose directorial debut ...

Download Designer Watch Faces for Your Android Wear Smartwatch
A collection of new Android Wear watch faces is available for download on Google Play, coming from a few of the top designers in the fashion ...

Google debuts designer watch faces for Android Wear
With companies like TAG Heuer and Fossil now investing in Android Wear, Google knows how important it is to keep smartwatches looking stylish. ...

For Designers, Learning To Code Isn't A Yes-No Question
The former CEO of Berg explains why programming is just one way that designers ought to make sense of problems. From 2005 to 2014 (or 483 weeks ...

Designer Spotlight: London Designers Contribute British Ethos To Women's Career Wear
Designer Spotlight is a regular column focusing on style and the professional woman. Meet four independent British fashion designers who are ...