Delphi Cross Platform Game Development [Edit]

A little survey

Would anyone be interested in a cross platform (windows, mac, linux) game development toolkit with Delphi/FreePascal compiler compatibility?

This toolkit would take care of the boiler plate platform code to get a window up, change window/display states, give you mouse, keyboard, and joystick feedback, and abstract working with files, sockets, xml, audio, and 2D/3D graphics.

Programs would be quite small and compact. They would also be stand alone binaries able to run with little to no dependencies.

Possible program applications might include:

Cross platform game development
Graphic and sound demos
Kiosk application development
Simple GUI applications with an emphasis on graphics or data visualization

Benefits:

Based on pascal
Clean and simple object model
Native code and easy to deploy

Just curious to know if anyone would have interest.
1
Anthony

> {quote:title=Guest wrote:}{quote}
> A little survey
>
> Would anyone be interested in a cross platform (windows, mac, linux) game development toolkit with Delphi/FreePascal compiler compatibility?
>
> This toolkit would take care of the boiler plate platform code to get a window up, change window/display states, give you mouse, keyboard, and joystick feedback, and abstract working with files, sockets, xml, audio, and 2D/3D graphics.
>
> Programs would be quite small and compact. They would also be stand alone binaries able to run with little to no dependencies.
>
> Possible program applications might include:
>
> Cross platform game development
> Graphic and sound demos
> Kiosk application development
> Simple GUI applications with an emphasis on graphics or data visualization
>
> Benefits:
>
> Based on pascal
> Clean and simple object model
> Native code and easy to deploy
>
> Just curious to know if anyone would have interest.

I definitely would.  I'm currently using SDL as a backend for my game development work, but it's a pain to try to debug because it's written in C.  If there was a Delphi alternative that worked well, I'd switch over.
0
Mason
10/29/2009 4:56:23 PM
I would be interested.
0
Darryl
10/29/2009 8:34:11 PM
Hi Anthony!

I have great interest in a Cross Platform  game development toolkit!

Have you already anything done? I do have some experience in CrossPlataform's game engine, I'm
helping to make PhoenixLib crossplatform, but I have great interest in take a look on yours...

Thanks.

--
Wagenheimer´s Game Development Blog
http://www.wagenheimer.com
> {quote:title=Gilbert Padilla wrote:}{quote}
> Last time I did try something my dream was to use Delphi and XNA to port to
> the XBox but Delphi didn't support .NET 2.0. I still have the idea of my
> game but have not find a tool and library using OOP that would compile for
> the XBox.

I haven't used XNA because I don't own a game console, though I do I believe it's probably the best thing Microsoft has ever done. Of course it's kind of junky in that it only works with other Microsoft stuff (zero chance of it working on anything other than windows, xbox, zune).

I am very much impressed with the idea of XNA, the community it sparks, and the involvement/interest it creates in the minds of those who would otherwise not make their way into software development. I give huge time kudos (hugs even) to Microsoft for that.

But their OS, that's a different story.
0
Anthony
10/30/2009 12:37:24 AM
> {quote:title=Cezar Wagenheimer wrote:}{quote}
> Hi Anthony!
>
> I have great interest in a Cross Platform  game development toolkit!
>
> Have you already anything done? I do have some experience in CrossPlataform's game engine, I'm
> helping to make PhoenixLib crossplatform, but I have great interest in take a look on yours...
>
> Thanks.
>

> > {quote:title=Anthony Walter wrote:}{quote}
> > A little survey
> >
> > Would anyone be interested in a cross platform (windows, mac, linux) game development toolkit with Delphi/FreePascal compiler compatibility?
> >
> > This toolkit would take care of the boiler plate platform code to get a window up, change window/display states, give you mouse, keyboard, and joystick feedback, and abstract working with files, sockets, xml, audio, and 2D/3D graphics.
> >
> > Programs would be quite small and compact. They would also be stand alone binaries able to run with little to no dependencies.
> >
> > Possible program applications might include:
> >
> > Cross platform game development
> > Graphic and sound demos
> > Kiosk application development
> > Simple GUI applications with an emphasis on graphics or data visualization
> >
> > Benefits:
> >
> > Based on pascal
> > Clean and simple object model
> > Native code and easy to deploy
> >
> > Just curious to know if anyone would have interest.
>
> --
> Wagenheimer´s Game Development Blog
> http://www.wagenheimer.com

Yes, I have quite a surprisingly large amount done. I've been tinkering with the cross platform aspects in my spare time and have been chatting privately with the Fiddler at the OpenTK project. C# is a nice, but I still keep coming back to Pascal. Internally I've been struggling with my strong dislike of small bits of C# and large bits of the various .NET runtimes. That and I also really do not like Vista/Window 7.

Desktop apps have been shrinking away for years. So many people have moved onto web apps, which I can't stand (it doesn't feel like real programming. You don't hold the power of the PC in your hands). Games and superior richly animated applications though, people still want those powerful Desktop experiences. A really nice and strong project, such as I've mentioned in my original post, might be just what I need to ditch the Windows train.

I tend to rant on about Window and .NET enough, and I am "selling the idea" in this follow up post which is tainting my poll. But yes, I believe a toolkit as I imagine it is doable and something that would be worthwhile. With some positive response I might become very motivated. I am also open to working with other people who are already working on similar projects or people willing to collaborate/share.

Partial list of features:

Window initialization and display/audio context creation
 * Initialization include multisampling, color bits, stencil bits, depth bits etc
Window state routine to switch window size, position, and fullscreen/windowed toggling
Multi-threaded game loop with keyboard, mouse, and joystick as both classes and events
High performance time and frame rate counters
Window class with virtual load, unload, render, methods
Full opengl function and extension support
 * Mechanism to validate require extension strings before main loop is run
 * Extension strings and extensions automatic binding
Many math and geometry routines and types
 * Vec1-Vec4
 * Vertex
 * Matrix/InverseMatrix
 * Quaternions
Simple predefined vector shapes (spade, heart, club, diamond)
Texture manager class
  * Texture loaders for png, tga, bmp, and jpg image formats
Xml reader and writer interfaces
Different camera types
Vertex and fragment shader loader and linker through a general manager class
 * Custom shader scene file
  * Able to resolve multiple shader dependencies
  * Error object points to the object which fails to compile or link
  * Simplifies feeding sampler2d uniforms from texture manager
Simple pop up dialog to prompt user with messages
Vertex buffer object class for managing large numbers of vertices
Special font writer class
 * Internally uses textured quads to render each character
 * Can load a font define from a file/stream
 * Can create a font define given font name, size, style
 * Full support for justification and kerning
 * Supports gradient colors and font shadows
 * Characters can be individually rotated
Simple custom mouse cursor support
Animation engine
 * Works in background thread
 * Custom interpolations
Mapping in window from 2D (screen pixels) to 3D (point in space)
 * WorldToClient
 * ClientToWorld
The beginning of a Widget toolkit
 * Transform widgets in 3D space
 * Inverse matrix maps mouse events from 3D space to back to 2D widget space

and more ...
0
Anthony
10/30/2009 3:31:57 AM
> {quote:title=Anthony Walter wrote:}{quote}
> A little survey
>
> Would anyone be interested in a cross platform (windows, mac, linux) game development toolkit with Delphi/FreePascal compiler compatibility?
>
> This toolkit would take care of the boiler plate platform code to get a window up, change window/display states, give you mouse, keyboard, and joystick feedback, and abstract working with files, sockets, xml, audio, and 2D/3D graphics.
>
> Programs would be quite small and compact. They would also be stand alone binaries able to run with little to no dependencies.
>
> Possible program applications might include:
>
> Cross platform game development
> Graphic and sound demos
> Kiosk application development
> Simple GUI applications with an emphasis on graphics or data visualization
>
> Benefits:
>
> Based on pascal
> Clean and simple object model
> Native code and easy to deploy
>
> Just curious to know if anyone would have interest.

It is already done! :-)

http://www.zgameeditor.org/
0
Dimitrij
10/30/2009 10:44:28 AM
> {quote:title=Dimitrij Kowalski wrote:}{quote}
>
> It is already done! :-)

I probably didn't do a thorough job explaining what I mean by "game toolkit".

What you linked to was a nice point and click graphic interface utility for making cross platform games.

What I am describing is a cross platform pascal class library for compiling games and/or demos and/or graphically intensive applications.

There is a distinction between the two. I believe your work flow involves a gui game editor optionally with some attached script files. Mine involves compiling pascal source code (with delphi or fpc) with a simplified set of units for creating native opengl/openal applications.

Example:

http://imagebot.org/snapshops/cartoon.jpg

Source code:

program cartoon;

uses
  BareSystem, BareForms, BareGraphics, BareScene, BareOpenGL;

type
  TCartoonDemo = class(TGraphicForm)
  private
    FFont: TFontWriter;
    FCamera: TCamera;
    FEnvironment: TScene;
    FCartoon: TScene;
  protected
    procedure DoLoad; override;
    procedure DoUnload; override;
    procedure DoRender; override;
  end;

procedure TCartoonDemo.DoLoad;
var
  S: string;
begin
  inherited DoLoad;
  FFont := TFontWriter.Create;
  FFont.Define('Tahoma', 14, [fsBold]);
  FFont.Extents := Vec(ClientWidth, ClientHeight);
  FFont.ShadowOffset := Vec(1, 1);
  FFont.Shadows := True;
  FCamera := TShooterCamera.Create;
  FCamera.Speed := 2;
  FEnvironment := TScene.Create;
  FEnvironment.LoadFromFile('environment.scene');
  FCartoon := TScene.Create;
  FEnvironment.LoadFromFile('cartoon.scene');
  glFrontFace(GL_CW);
  glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 1);
  glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
end;

procedure TCartoonDemo.DoUnload;
begin
  FCartoon.Free;
  FEnvironment.Free;
  FCamera.Free;
  FFont.Free;
  inherited DoUnload;
end;

procedure TCartoonDemo.DoRender;
begin
  glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT or GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
  glLoadIdentity;
  FCamera.Update;
  FEnvironment.Draw;
  FCartoon.Draw;
  FFont.Write('Shader program "cartoon"', 1, 2, 0);
  FFont.Write('Framerate: ' + IntToStr(Framerate), 1, 2, 1);
  FFont.Write('Time: ' + FloatToStr(Time), 1, 2, 2);
end;

function DisplayInfo: TDisplayInfo;
begin
  Result := DefaultDisplayInfo;
  Result.Width := 1024;
  Result.Height := 768;
  Result.ColorDepth := cdTrue;
  Result.Fullscreen := True;
end;

begin
  if FindExtensions(GL_ARB_VERTEX_BUFFER_OBJECT, GL_ARB_VERTEX_PROGRAM) then
    Run(TCartoonDemo, DisplayInfo)
  else
    MessageBox('This program requires the follow features to run:'#13#10 +
      'GL_ARB_VERTEX_BUFFER_OBJECT'#13#10 +
      'GL_ARB_VERTEX_PROGRAM', mtError, [mbOk]);
end.
0
Anthony
10/30/2009 1:02:17 PM
> {quote:title=Anthony Walter wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Dimitrij Kowalski wrote:}{quote}
> >
> > It is already done! :-)
>
> I probably didn't do a thorough job explaining what I mean by "game toolkit".
>
> What you linked to was a nice point and click graphic interface utility for making cross platform games.
>
> What I am describing is a cross platform pascal class library for compiling games and/or demos and/or graphically intensive applications.
>
> There is a distinction between the two. I believe your work flow involves a gui game editor optionally with some attached script files. Mine involves compiling pascal source code (with delphi or fpc) with a simplified set of units for creating native opengl/openal applications.

Ok, now I get it. I think that has been already done too. Take a look at: http://www.afterwarp.net.
Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to disencourage you! I just want to show you what has been done by other people. Maybe you could use your experience and contribute.
I don't think that Asphyre has cross-platform support for sound and gaming devices so you work on that subject could help a lot.

Keep a good work :)
0
Dimitrij
10/30/2009 5:10:32 PM
> {quote:title=Dimitrij Kowalski wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Anthony Walter wrote:}{quote}
> > > {quote:title=Dimitrij Kowalski wrote:}{quote}
> > >
> > > It is already done! :-)
> >
> > I probably didn't do a thorough job explaining what I mean by "game toolkit".
> >
> > What you linked to was a nice point and click graphic interface utility for making cross platform games.
> >
> > What I am describing is a cross platform pascal class library for compiling games and/or demos and/or graphically intensive applications.
> >
> > There is a distinction between the two. I believe your work flow involves a gui game editor optionally with some attached script files. Mine involves compiling pascal source code (with delphi or fpc) with a simplified set of units for creating native opengl/openal applications.
>
> Ok, now I get it. I think that has been already done too. Take a look at: http://www.afterwarp.net.
> Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to disencourage you! I just want to show you what has been done by other people. Maybe you could use your experience and contribute.
> I don't think that Asphyre has cross-platform support for sound and gaming devices so you work on that subject could help a lot.
>
> Keep a good work :)

Asphyre's a pretty good library.  It's been a while since I was on their site, since last I heard the author had no intention of updating it to support D2009 or later versions.  Not sure if that's still the case, though.
0
Mason
10/30/2009 10:00:54 PM
> {quote:title=Mason Wheeler wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Dimitrij Kowalski wrote:}{quote}
> > > {quote:title=Anthony Walter wrote:}{quote}

> > > I probably didn't do a thorough job explaining what I mean by "game toolkit".
> > >
> > > What you linked to was a nice point and click graphic interface utility for making cross platform games.
> > >
> > > What I am describing is a cross platform pascal class library for compiling games and/or demos and/or graphically intensive applications.
> > >
> > > There is a distinction between the two. I believe your work flow involves a gui game editor optionally with some attached script files. Mine involves compiling pascal source code (with delphi or fpc) with a simplified set of units for creating native opengl/openal applications.
> >
> > Ok, now I get it. I think that has been already done too. Take a look at: http://www.afterwarp.net.
> > Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to disencourage you! I just want to show you what has been done by other people. Maybe you could use your experience and contribute.
> > I don't think that Asphyre has cross-platform support for sound and gaming devices so you work on that subject could help a lot.
> >
> > Keep a good work :)
>
> Asphyre's a pretty good library.  It's been a while since I was on their site, since last I heard the author had no intention of updating it to support D2009 or later versions.  Not sure if that's still the case, though.

He has intention but doesn't have time;) However I saw that some user made that update.
0
Dimitrij
10/30/2009 10:31:50 PM
Anthony Walter wrote:

> Would anyone be interested in a cross platform (windows, mac, linux)
> game development toolkit with Delphi/FreePascal compiler
> compatibility?

Yes!
0
Doug

Cross-Platform Delphi
All current versions of Windows NT can run x86 code. Obviously 32 bit Windows can. 64 bit Windows uses either compatibility mode (x64) or a built-in (into Windows) emulator (IA-64). A 64 bit (i.e. x64) compiler would be useful but isn't strictly needed for crossplatform purposes in the Windows world. Most installations of Mac OS X can run x86 code. I am pretty sure support for PowerPC is not required for new developer tools. But Linux is all over the place. Most Linux installations can run x86 code. This includes x86, x64 and IBM PowerPC installations. But software deploymen...

ANN: RealThinClient W/A Framework for cross-platform development with Delphi
A new update for the RealThinClient SDK (v3.11) has been released. RTC Web Applications Framework (included in the RealThinClient SDK 3.11) is now compatible with Delphi for Windows *and* Lazarus/FPC for Windows, Linux and MacOSX. RTC W/A Framework is very flexible and straight-forward, so that new components for cross-platform development can be added by anyone experienced enough in Delphi, but the purpose of this new framework is not to write components, it is to allow developers to use ready-made components for rapid rich cross-platform internet application development. An...

Delphi, FireMonkey, cross-platform development, oh my! Any books written ye
I tend to be both fascinated by new software technologies and depressed by my general stupidity. So I want to learn Delphi and FireMonkey. Did anyone write a book for beginners yet that I can buy and learn from? (Ideally a Kindle book?) (I am not a beginner when it comes to programming, just in the Delphi and obviously in the FireMonkey worlds.) <Andrew Brehm> wrote in message news:389250@forums.embarcadero.com... > > Did anyone write a book for beginners yet that I can buy and learn from? > (Ideally a Kindle book?) > You should check Marco Cantu's web si...

Cross Platform Hardware Accelerated 2D Graphics for Delphi/FPC [Edit]
I spent some time a few months ago writing a cross platform 2D drawing API for Delphi/FPC with the following goals. Provide a managed 2D drawing API for Delphi/FPC based on interfaces Expose advanced (newer than GDI) drawing concepts such as anti-aliasing, gradients, matrices, and textures Provide full text drawing, wrapping, alignment, and measuring support Use hardware acceleration as much as possible, but also provide software fall backs Here is a demo of a test application running under Linux: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5MPv_GOzRk Currently my code works on Linux with t...

Delphi developers who are also Python developers [Edit]
I'm interested in knowing how many Delphi developers here also have expert level skills in Python/Django web-framework and use the same in production / at work? How long did it take you to get started and then up and running? What were the best resources that helped in learning learn Python/Django? What are the difficult topics to master? I'm applying for a job here in Nigeria that requires Python/Django, but have only PHP (and some Zend framework) skills. I'm wondering how quickly I will be able to pick up Python and then get up and running with Django. -- Steve...

New to Delphi
Hi I am new to Delphi & want to know good resources for learning to use it. Is there a list of good Delphi learning resources (books/online tutorials) somewhere? What recommendations can anyone make for someone new to Delphi (& only a hobby programmer at the moment)? A couple of weeks ago I started with DelphiXE4 trial & have Googled for a few Delphi resources but I haven't found anything very good yet for me as a beginner. I'm just struggling along trying to learn as I go! (I'm presently struggling with DragandDrop...see [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17232...

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Any where to offer services as Delphi/Delphi for PHP freelance developer?
Hi, I'm a freelance Software Engineer. One of many that in current difficult days, is pushing for self-employment... offering services as Business Analyst and Developer, using Delphi, Delphi for PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL. Any where in this forum or other you might know where to offer these services to the world? Thank you, Guillermo Guillermo, The Delphi for PHP forum does have For Hire and Wanted For Hire sections if you haven't seen those yet: http://forums.delphi-php.net/ Thanks. -Phil > {quote:title=Guillermo Najar wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > I&#...

Delphi vs Winform
This might be a little techie, but I think most people here are familiar with Delphi to understand the difference between a TWinControl and TGraphicControl. I was trying to create a C# Winform project based on a Delphi prototype and ran into this problem which I posted to some Winform forums ... This led me to an *obvious* deficiency in Winforms programming. I'd like to hear your thoughts. My question to the Winforms forums describing the problem is copied below: <snip> Hi, I mostly do Delphi development but would like to start my next small work project in Visual S...

Is dll developed in Delphi 6 works on Delphi 2?
I have a one dll, whose work is to creates a form with some normal vcl controls, print selected tables and email some reports. It was developed in Delphi 6. Can any other application which was developed in Delphi 2 use that dll.? If not, please let me know in which areas i need change. The dll work is only to print and email. With regards, Srikanth Varma Srikanth varma wrote: > I have a one dll, whose work is to creates a form with some normal > vcl controls, print selected tables and email some reports. It was > developed in Delphi 6. Can any other application which was d...

Hello, we have one Delphi 2005 Professional here and want to upgrade to Delphi 2010, but we are a bit confused. Our distributor in Germany, ingram-micro offers several upgrade products: UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - NAMED USER FLEX RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - UPG UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED ELC UPG RAD STUDIO 2010 PRO - NAMED FLEX UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT ELS UPG DELPHI 2010 PRO - CONCURRENT FLEX What do they mean exactly and which one do i need? At the moment delphi is installed on two PCs and we want to use ...

Web resources about - Delphi Cross Platform Game Development [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

United States Department of Housing and Urban Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Robert C. Weaver Federal Building , 451 7th Street SW , Washington, D.C. 38°53′2.17″N 77°1′21.03″W  /  38.8839361°N 77.0225083°W  / 38.8839361; ...

Wading pool got 30cm of water? You need development approval - AdelaideNow Search Search
RESIDENTS are risking $500 fines by setting up some blow-up pools in their backyards this summer, under a little-known State Government regulation ...

Xi envisions Chongqing as int'l logistics hub, stresses development
Xi envisions Chongqing as int'l logistics hub, stresses development

Leverage geographically-distributed development
Geographically-distributed development, or GDD, has made a name for itself as an extremely-effective IT strategy model within global enterprises ...

‘Arrested Development’ Season 5 will parody ‘Making a Murderer’ and ‘Serial’
Rumors surrounding a fifth season of Arrested Development have been swirling around ever since Netflix did the world a favor and rebooted the ...

Ford Tripling Autonomous Vehicle Development Fleet, Accelerating On-Road Testing of Sensors and Software ...
Ford is tripling its fleet of fully autonomous Ford Fusion Hybrid test vehicles &ndash; making it the largest in the automotive industry &ndash; ...

Arrested Development: How President Jimmy Carter Stopped The First Solar Surge
... in front of the developing solar photovoltaics industry. Perlin is the author of “Let It Shine: The 6,000-Year [&hellip Arrested Development: ...

Arrested Development Season 5 Spoofing Making a Murderer - Collider
Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz says the new season will be a murder mystery in the vein of Netflix's Making a Murderer.

‘Arrested Development’ Season 5: ‘Making A Murderer’ Meets Donald Trump
In Season 4 of Arrested Development , the Bluth clan set out to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico to "keep Mexicans out," and Lindsay ...