Delphi code makes an appearance in the Daily WTF

As per subject line:

  http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/That-Kind-of-Security.aspx

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
0

Dave Nottage wrote:

> As per subject line:
>
>   http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/That-Kind-of-Security.aspx

Probably one of the guys complaining that upgrading to D2009 is a PITA

;-)

--
Pieter
0

Buyit();
useit();
breakit();
fixit();
Trashit();
changeit();
mail_upgradeit();
Chargeit();

:-D
0
Gilbert
4/14/2009 1:03:02 AM
There are probably a lot more Delphi submissions, but the authors will edit
the snippet to their liking.

For example,
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Another_Friday_Smorgasbord_.aspx

The entry (which is a small snippet from another wtf that I can't find right
now that has the full block of code)

Buried inside of a large ACH validation routine, Stefanie found this line
if (i == 892)  syscall_beep();

Is from our bank reconciliation routine (Stefanie used to work here).  The
WTF folks 'converted' it from Delphi to C.

Probably the bigger WTF is why the original developer put it there (I'll
reply for those curious).

krf

"Dave Nottage" <davidn.cgng@radsoft.com.au> wrote in message
> As per subject line:
>
>  http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/That-Kind-of-Security.aspx
>
> --
> Dave Nottage [TeamB]
0
Kevin
4/14/2009 12:44:05 PM
Kevin Frevert wrote:

> The WTF folks 'converted' it from Delphi to C.

	Alex obfuscates all the posts so that nobody loses their job over a
submission.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
Kevin Frevert wrote:

> Probably the bigger WTF is why the original developer put it there
> (I'll reply for those curious).

We're waiting...

--
Andy Syms
Technosoft Systems Ltd
"Andy Syms" <asyms@technosoft.co.uk> wrote in message
> Kevin Frevert wrote:
>
>> Probably the bigger WTF is why the original developer put it there
>> (I'll reply for those curious).
>
> We're waiting...

I've posted a screen shot to .attachments
0
Kevin
4/14/2009 5:50:00 PM
"Kevin Frevert" <kevin@workingdrinkingicewater.com> wrote in message
> Buried inside of a large ACH validation routine, Stefanie found this line
> if (i == 892)  syscall_beep();
> Probably the bigger WTF is why the original developer put it there (I'll
> reply for those curious).

To use as a line to mark as a debugging breakpoint when a loop hits that
iteration?
0
Joe
4/14/2009 6:30:45 PM
"Joe Demartino" <Fizzle@shizzle.com> wrote in message
> "Kevin Frevert" <kevin@workingdrinkingicewater.com> wrote in message
>> Buried inside of a large ACH validation routine, Stefanie found this line
>> if (i == 892)  syscall_beep();
>> Probably the bigger WTF is why the original developer put it there (I'll
>> reply for those curious).
>
> To use as a line to mark as a debugging breakpoint when a loop hits that
> iteration?

He used it as a audible indicator that the app was still "working".   On our
test database (table only contained a few thousand records) he would hear
the 'beep' and say "Program is working just fine...must be the database"
0
Kevin

Re: Delphi code makes an appearance in the Daily WTF
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_19445.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" "Andy Syms" <asyms@technosoft.co.uk> wrote in message news:104150@forums.codegear.com... > Kevin Frevert wrote: > >> Probably the bigger WTF is why the original developer put it there >> (I'll reply for those curious). > > We're waiting... The code is somewhat a line-for-line conversion of the 'converted&#...

converting delphi code to delphi .NET
Hi,I'm looking at converting quite a bit of old delphi code to delphi .NET .  I'm wondering can it be converted to VB.NET for certain ?  Or perhaps there are some unsupported functions etc in delphi and I should keep the code delphi ?  There are about 10,000 lines of code.   Anyone brave enough to take an estimate on how long it would take to convert 10,000 lines ?is going from delphi to delphi.NET smooth ?   Would going to another language cause complications ?Thanks! mike123   Mike123,   Sorry I can not help, however, I have the s...

delphi 2006 code in delphi 2010

Transferring Delphi 5 BDE code to Delphi 2006 Nexus Embedded server code
In an application where I have used BDE in Delphi 5 I would like to transfer the whole project to Nexus Embedded server that in general implies mostly exchanging tTable with tnxTable etc. But, in a procedure I regenerate indexes using dbiRegenIndexes(basehandler). This function seems not to be supported anymore, so I just wonder if such a call is needed at all in Nexus Embedded Server, and if needed, what is now the correct syntax ?? I don't know the answer to your question but if you can't find answers here you may like to know that nexus db have there own free newsgr...

Code Porting
Hi people, Basically, I am moving an app from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2009 which is all great (yeah right!) and I am having a couple of issues with some thirdparty components that we have the source code for. Being that I wanted to make the task as easy as possible, I was able to download the component in Delphi 2007 format. I have now managed to port that to 2009 so it compiles only with warnings and no errors. So all is good at this moment. Now I am trying to install the component into the IDE by using the install menu option from the project manager. This is where I run into errors. ...

Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010 character codes conversion
I an converting a unit from Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010. Everything works except for a couple of character codes, the decimal values are(224 and 227). As far as I can tell when data is loaded from the socket into a buffer, the codes are ok. When they are written to another buffer these 2 codes use the upper case version of the characters(192 and 224). I don' t see it on any other of the codes. I set the code page in the compiler options to 1252, but that did not work. Any other options I can set in Delp hi 2010 to correct this? TIA Jan B wrote: > I an converting a unit from D...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Is it worth to move my code from Delphi 2009 to Delphi 2010?
Hi guys, we are working on Delphi 2009 till this day because we do not have the time to upgrade our code to the newest version. There is always something more important (features, bugs...) and our code has 2+ million lines. I thought that instead of moving from D2009 to XE7 I could atleast move code to D2010 because it is more or less backward compatible and it shouldn't take me that much of a work. I wanted to ask you about your opinion. Is it a good version to move to? Regards. Dimitrij wrote: > I thought that instead of moving from D2009 to XE7 I could atleast > move ...

Delphi 7.0 code convert to delphi XE ...
Hello All, I create an application using Web Server Application then CGI stand alone... In WebModule I add ModuleController component and IWPageProcedure... Below is my code in Delphi 7.0, this is how to call another units in webmodule... .... .... procedure TWebModule1.proMainGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmMain.Create(AWebApplication); end; procedure TWebModule1.proLogInGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmLogIn.Create(AWebA...

Attempting to compile Delphi 5 code in Delphi XE5 is failing
Greetings All, If I'm not in the correct formum please tell me which one I should be in. Just upgraded to Delphi XE5 and am attempting to compile one of my Delphi 5 projects. I used Interbase Express I use either TDataSource -> TCDSProvider -> TDataSetProvider -> TIBQuery or TDataSource -> TClientDataSet -> TDataSetProvider -> TIBQuery Also used TIBDatabase, TIBTransaction, and TIBStoredProc I open the smallest project I have and click compile and almost immediately I receive this error Checking project dependencies... Compiling CITranEngine.dproj...

converting delphi 2007 code to delphi XE2 -- emptyparam problem
Hi, I am trying to convert my applicantion code from delphi 2007 to delphi XE2 and i got stuck in this error "[DCC Error] ADODB_TLB.pas(4888): E2033 Types of actual and formal var parameters must be identical". This happens when we use emptyparam as an argument in a function that wants an olevariant. Example: function TAcadDatabase.CopyObjects(Objects: OleVariant): OleVariant; begin Result := DefaultInterface.CopyObjects(Objects, EmptyParam, EmptyParam); //this is where we get the ERROR end; The coyobjects function as this signature: " function CopyObjects(Object...

Delphi 2009 automatic bug reports appear as Delphi.NET issues
For automatic bug reports, Delphi 2009 seems to put 'Delphi.NET' into the field for 'Project'. I will try to verify it and enter it in QC. Unfortunately this means I have to use the QC database for 'testing', but will delete my test entries if I have verified the problem. Michael Justin Michael Justin wrote: > For automatic bug reports, Delphi 2009 seems to put 'Delphi.NET' into > the field for 'Project'. AFAIK this is as expected. There is no project "RAD Studio" and so "Delphi.NET" has been choosen as proj...

Web resources about - Delphi code makes an appearance in the Daily WTF - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Cameo appearance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , typically unnamed or appearing as themselves. These roles are generally small, many of them non-speaking ones, and are commonly either appearances ...

Zuckerberg appearance helps propel stock above $20 for first time in 4 weeks
... spoke candidly and confidently about the company’s mobile future and eventual foray into search. Zuckerberg has avoided public appearances ...

#OnlyOnTwitter: With a cameo appearance by Ryan Gosling
Welcome to another edition of our on-going effort to capture and showcase the incredible array of moments that happen #OnlyOnTwitter. This week ...

Questions on Physical Appearances of People - Quora
Have you ever been denied a job because of your age, gender, color, weight, or physical appearance? How did you handle it? I am 55 and have a ...

Edward Snowden's Surprise Appearance at TED
jurvetson posted a photo: Speaking with Chris Anderson and Tim Berners Lee on a telepresence robot, beaming in from a secret location in Russia. ...

THE WHO - Long Live Rock (1973 UK TV Appearance) ~ HIGH QUALITY HQ ~ - YouTube
top of the pops old grey whistle test 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 ...

Berwick stabbing accused cries during first court appearance
A man charged with attempted murder after a woman was allegedly stabbed in the face has cried during his first court appearance.

Crane climber set for court appearance
A 21-year-old man has been issued with a notice to appear in court following an incident in Woolloongabba this morning.

Don’t miss James Bond’s secret appearance in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’
... since there are so many Stormtroopers in any Star Wars episode, it must mean the Force is seriously strong with Craig to accept the cameo appearance. ...

Laura Jane Grace touring around her 'American Songbook' appearance in 2016
photo: LJG w/ Against Me! at BV-RBSS in September (more by Kenneth Bachor) Against Me! singer Laura Jane Grace is one of the many musicians playing ...