Delphi and performance

Hello there,

I have a massive performance Problem with Delphi. When I switch from the code to form view for the first time, it takes about 5 minutes until the form shows up. When I try to filter the component palette, it takes about 2 seconds for one character to appear. Has anyone else some similar issues?

Now My Configuration:

Software:
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit English
- Delphi 2010 Enterprise English

Hardware:
- Intel Quad Core QX9300 @ 2,51 Ghz
- 8 GB RAM
- 128GB SSD

All oher Programs seen to run fine, but as soon as I am starting Delphi, one of the Cores is permanent fully loaded... And also the programs compiled with delphi have the same problems...

Ny ideas?

TIA
Markus Alexander
0
Markus

Markus,

> Hello there,
>
> I have a massive performance Problem with Delphi. When I switch from the code to form view for the first time, it takes about 5 minutes until the form shows up. When I try to filter the component palette, it takes about 2 seconds for one character to appear. Has anyone else some similar issues?
>
> Now My Configuration:
>
> Software:
> - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit English
> - Delphi 2010 Enterprise English
>
> Hardware:
> - Intel Quad Core QX9300 @ 2,51 Ghz
> - 8 GB RAM
> - 128GB SSD

what about add-ins?

--
Roman
0
> {quote:title=Roman Kassebaum wrote:}{quote}
> Markus,
>
> what about add-ins?
>
> --

Do you mean real addins, or Components?

I have the following installed:

- GExperts
- Most of the devExpress Controls
- RemObjects
- TRichView
- SynEdit
- TMSUnicode
- Madshi

Thanks
Markus
0
Markus
11/19/2009 4:12:20 PM
Markus,

> Do you mean real addins, or Components?
>
> I have the following installed:
>
> - GExperts
> - Most of the devExpress Controls
> - RemObjects
> - TRichView
> - SynEdit
> - TMSUnicode
> - Madshi

You mentioned that the creation of the form takes so long.
Maybe one component on the form has a problem.

--
Roman
0
> {quote:title=Roman Kassebaum wrote:}{quote}
> Markus,
>
> You mentioned that the creation of the form takes so long.
> Maybe one component on the form has a problem.
>
> Roman

Well for me it looks like it doesn't matter which form I open, but I think there's definitly something with the component palette, because after the first time, the switch goes immediatly. I have also seen that, even opening or collapsing a category of the Component palette takes about a second...

Thanks
Markus
0
Markus
11/19/2009 4:20:30 PM
<Markus Alexander> wrote
> I have a massive performance Problem with Delphi. When I switch from the code
> to form view for the first time, it takes about 5 minutes until the form shows
> up. When I try to filter the component palette, it takes about 2 seconds for
> one character to appear. Has anyone else some similar issues?

The following QualityCentral report is a suggestion to add performance
monitoring to Delphi's IDE to gather data to diagnose problems such as
yours.  I think that with good info, such problems should be simple to fix.
This report did not get enough votes to interest the Delphi IDE developers.
I suggest that you add your vote to the report.

Report No: 45646            Status: Closed
Add performance monitoring into IDE
http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=45646
QCWIN:Defect_No=45646

Regards, JohnH
0
John
11/19/2009 4:33:31 PM
Markus Alexander wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I have a massive performance Problem with Delphi. When I switch from
> the code to form view for the first time, it takes about 5 minutes
> until the form shows up. When I try to filter the component palette,
> it takes about 2 seconds for one character to appear. Has anyone else
> some similar issues?

Are you using CnWizards? If so, see:
https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?messageID=181814&tstart=0#181814

--
Pieter

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."
 -- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
0
Pieter
11/19/2009 5:50:20 PM
> ... And also the programs compiled with delphi have the same problems...

If it is happening also to applications compiled with Delphi, you can find
out what is taking so much time by 'profiling' it. I did so at work today by
downloading a (fully functional, time limited) trial version of AQTime:
http://www.automatedqa.com/products/aqtime/

Ottar
0
Ottar
11/19/2009 6:10:41 PM
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:05:47 -0800, Markus Alexander wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I have a massive performance Problem with Delphi. When I switch from the
> code to form view for the first time, it takes about 5 minutes until the
> form shows up. When I try to filter the component palette, it takes
> about 2 seconds for one character to appear. Has anyone else some
> similar issues?
>
> Now My Configuration:
>
> Software:
> - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit English
> - Delphi 2010 Enterprise English
>
> Hardware:
> - Intel Quad Core QX9300 @ 2,51 Ghz
> - 8 GB RAM
> - 128GB SSD
>
> All oher Programs seen to run fine, but as soon as I am starting Delphi,
> one of the Cores is permanent fully loaded... And also the programs
> compiled with delphi have the same problems...
>
> Ny ideas?
>
> TIA
> Markus Alexander

Try viewing the form in Text mode, maybe this form has a lot of
components or images you are not seeing in form view.

I remember a couple of years ago, I had to improve an application that
had a TDatamodule full of TDatasets that took ages to show up in the IDE,
maybe you have the same problem.

--
Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com
Markus Alexander <> wrote in news:185088@forums.codegear.com:

> Hello there,
>
> I have a massive performance Problem with Delphi. When I switch from
> the code to form view for the first time, it takes about 5 minutes
> until the form shows up. When I try to filter the component palette,
> it takes about 2 seconds for one character to appear. Has anyone else
> some similar issues?
>
> Now My Configuration:
>
> Software:
> - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit English
> - Delphi 2010 Enterprise English
>
> Hardware:
> - Intel Quad Core QX9300 @ 2,51 Ghz
> - 8 GB RAM
> - 128GB SSD
>
> All oher Programs seen to run fine, but as soon as I am starting
> Delphi, one of the Cores is permanent fully loaded... And also the
> programs compiled with delphi have the same problems...
>
> Ny ideas?
>
> TIA
> Markus Alexander

IIRC, in the past several people had this kind of problem if the source
files were on a network drive and not a local drive.  I have a similar
problem if I operate from a VM and the source files are outside the VM.

Regards,

Larry Drews
TheSoftwareRonin
0
Larry
11/19/2009 7:32:48 PM
Markus Alexander wrote:

> All oher Programs seen to run fine, but as soon as I am starting Delphi, one of the Cores is permanent fully loaded... And also the programs compiled with delphi have the same problems...
>
> Ny ideas?

You might like to check whether you have any networked drives being accessed - this caused me a performance issue in the past.

--
Mike
0

Ed Dressel
0
Ed
11/20/2009 5:26:50 PM
After serious thinking Markus Alexander wrote :
> Hello there,
>
> I have a massive performance Problem with Delphi. When I switch from the code
> to form view for the first time, it takes about 5 minutes until the form
> shows up. When I try to filter the component palette, it takes about 2
> seconds for one character to appear. Has anyone else some similar issues?

You can try guessing at what is taking so long, or
you can use ProcMon from SysInternals and see exactly
what the problem is.

It is not foolproof, but it is hard data.

Good luck,
Brad.
0
Brad

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

DBExpress terrible performance when migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007
Hi, When I'm migrating my project from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007, I found that the speed slow down 3-4 times. I've started to investigate what is the reason of that and I've found that the problem is in the TSQLDataset component. So I make a simple example of an application that run one of my problem queries that fetches about 30000 rows and the result was amazing d7: 1500ms, d2007: 13500ms 8 times slower !!!! Here are some perameters of the TSQLConnection Delphi 7: object SQLConn: TSQLConnection ConnectionName = 'OracleConnection' DriverName = '...

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE