Delphi 7 on XP connect to SQL 08 on Windows 7

Okay, this has me stumped. I'm still using my XP box to do development work in an old Delphi 7 project. The client has updated to SQL 2008 on Windows 7 and things run just fine. On my XP box I'm able to create an ODBC connection in Windows that connects to the SQL 08 instance on the Windows 7 box. But I cannot get my Delphi 7 project to connect for some reason. I did create a Windows 7 firewall inbound connection rule which is why the ODBC connection works. But again, when I run the Delphi 7 project it ju
st won't. I've stepped through the code and all the connection string settings seem fine. Anyone have any experience in this area?
0
Keith

I suspect your Windows 7 is 64 bit.

For your Delphi application to run, you need to configure the 32 bit ODBC client.

It is located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

See http://stackoverflow.com/a/1134854/458259
0
Arnaud
7/18/2013 6:21:31 PM
Yes. It is. All the programs I install are 32 bit versions but I'm running 64 bit W7. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that out. Very much appreciated.
0
Keith
7/18/2013 6:26:53 PM
My customer is running all W7 computers using my compiled D7 application (compiled on my 32 bit XP box). And when I install the app on my W7 box it runs fine as well. But it sounds like what you're saying is that for it to run from my 32 bit xp box and have it talk to the db on the 64 bit W7 box, I need to create an odbc client on the W7 box for the D7 app to connect with?

My D7 app builds a connection string at runtime from values in an ini file. I'm not sure how I'd modify that to use a DSN during development but still use what I'm doing now so it continues to work the same way for production. Maybe i'm not following you but I can create a dsn on the XP box that does connect fine to the database on teh W7 box. Wouldn't i just use that dsn and not need to create one on the W7 box?

Edited by: Keith Hicks on Jul 18, 2013 11:44 AM
0
Keith

Windows 7 ... Delphi 7
The new Windows 7 reminds me very strong of Delphi 7 ... a good feeling! > {quote:title=Ralf Stocker wrote:}{quote} > The new Windows 7 reminds me very strong of Delphi 7 ... a good feeling! Me too, from what I've heard so far. They are releasing it as a public beta tommorrow (the first 2.5 million in line only): Windows 7 page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ Information on Downloading and Installing Windows 7 Beta http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/01/07/information-on-downloading-and-installing-windows-7-beta.aspx How to Get in on th...

Delphi 7 and Windows 7 x64
I have a number of applications that cannot be migrated from Delphi 7 because of third party components. Is it possible to run Delphi 7 on Winows 7 or is it necessary to use VMWare? Will programs compiled with Delphi 7 run on Windows 7? Tom Thomas Hahn wrote: > I have a number of applications that cannot be migrated from Delphi 7 > because of third party components. Is it possible to run Delphi 7 on > Winows 7 or is it necessary to use VMWare? Will programs compiled > with Delphi 7 run on Windows 7? It run OK, you must have admin rights to install Cesar Rom...

Reinstall Delphi 7 on Windows 7?
My projects work fine in Delphi 7 on my old XP machine so the problems I am now experiencing under Windows 7 must be due to the Delphi set-up in Windows 7. I have attempted to reinstall this - after entering my serial number and authorization code the installer bombs out with the error "1311 file not found C:\Program Files\Borland\DELPHI~1.cab ...." certainly this file does not exist but nor does it exist on the XP machine. I downloaded the original Delphi from the old Borland site which is now not avai lable. Does anyone know what this *.cab file is all about or how I can get new...

Using Delphi 7 in Windows 7
I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7. I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms. View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself. Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties. Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying? > {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote} > I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7. I h...

Delphi 7 + Windows 7 = No Help
Okay, so has anyone figured a solution to this problem yet? Delphi 7 uses winhelp for it's help system and Windows 7 does not include winhelp. The problem: Although Vista has a winhelp download, Windows 7 does not, and the Vista winhelp download will not install on Windows 7. The solution: Waiting to find out. Anthony Walter wrote: > The solution: Waiting to find out. It was released about a half an hour ago for download... :-) http://tinyurl.com/yz6s397 Mark > {quote:title=Anthony Walter wrote:}{quote} > Okay, so has anyone figured a solution to this pro...

Problem with viewing Windows SDK help files from Delphi 7 under Windows 7
Hi, I recently installed Delphi 7 on a Windows 8 machine putting it into a non-system folder. When I found that it wasn't displaying (Delphi) help files I downloaded and installed WinHlp32.exe from the MS website http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=91 and this solved the problem. But when I try to view the Windows SDK by selecting the appropriate menu item under the IDE Help menu I get the Winhelp runtime error message "Microsoft Help has stopped working". Can anyone suggest what needs to be done to be able to view the Windows SDK files that sh...

Delphi 7 on microsoft windows 7 64bit.
Hi, I am running delphi 7 on xp box, but we are planning to upgrade to windows 7 64bit. 1) does delphi 7 installation works on windows 7 64bit. 2) Any problem running Delphi 7 IDE on 64bit. 3) Any other problem on 654bit. We have about 100+ apps on delphi 7 and we do not want to upgrade delphi... any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks Samir On 29.6.2010 17:07, samir patel wrote: > Hi, > > I am running delphi 7 on xp box, but we are planning to upgrade to windows 7 64bit. > > 1) does delphi 7 installation works on windows 7 64bit. > 2) Any prob...

Delphi 7, Upgrade Path, Windows 7
I have a large number of programs that were created with Delphi 7 and are difficult to upgrade because of third part components. I have several questions that others who have faced a similar problem may be able to answer. (I do not yet have a Windows 7 to answer some of these questions.) 1. Will Delphi 7 programs run under Windows 7x32 and 7x64? 2. Will Delphi 7 run under Windows 7x32 and 7x64? 3. If upgrading, what version of Delphi is the best path? Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Tom Thomas Hahn wrote: > I have a large number of programs that were created wit...

Delphi 7 TFontDialog and Windows 7 [Edit]
When using the TFontDialog on a Windows 7 box, it will not list the device fonts (printer fonts). If I launch M$ Word on that same machine, Word will list them fine. This works fine on an XP box. Any ideas? Edited by: Tim Muenstermann on Apr 29, 2010 9:05 AM > {quote:title=Tim Muenstermann wrote:}{quote} > When using the TFontDialog on a Windows 7 box, it will not list the device fonts (printer fonts). If I launch M$ Word on that same machine, Word will list them fine. > What Word does (BTW, M$ went out about a decade ago) makes absolutely no difference. Office ...

Install Delphi 2010 Ent in Windows XP or Windows 7
What operating system would you recommend installing and using Delphi 2010 Enterprise in? Windows XP or Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit. And why? Thanks Greg Saunders wrote: > What operating system would you recommend installing and using Delphi > 2010 Enterprise in? > > Windows XP or Windows 7 Windows 7. > > 32 bit or 64 bit. 32 bit. > > And why? Windows 7 is a lot supperior and more stable than windows XP, also it recognizes more than 3 GB of RAM. Delphi 2010 supports Windows 7 Libraries, you can take advantage of this in yo...

I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, after i bought delphi 7
I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? "I embezzled some money from my employer, returned the funds, and then got it back as a bonus. Can I still be arrested?" Uhhh .... didn't you just confess to a crime? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an appli...

Delphi 7 won't start up anymore on Windows 7 (except in Windows safe mode) [Edit]
I'm using Delphi 7 PE under Windows 7 Home Edition. Since four days Delphi will not start anymore. When I start, I see an entry "delph32.exe" in the Windows Task Manager (process tab, not application tab) but this will disappear sillently after some seconds. No error or warning message is given. I tried several things already, after searching the internet for a solution: - start delphi in comptability mode - start delphi as administrator - give full right on the installation directory of delphi - disable UAC - restore windows to the previous restore point None of ...

Lock Time Out
A D7 BDE/Paradox application that has been problem free on a W2k platform has started throwing "Lock time out" errors having been moved to a Windows 7 platform. Multiple instances of a front end application run on workstations in a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain, with the database hosted on a shared folder on the server. The applications run OK interactively and only appear to raise the "Lock time out" error if left unattended overnight when all instances apepar to hit the same problem at some point. "Lock time out" is clearly a prevalent problem judging ...

Delphi 7 Translation Manager problem on Windows 7
Using Windows 7 Ultimate + Sp1 64 bit. When I try moving to the Workspace tab I get this error: "Cannot open file D:\myproject\ENU\MyFile.dfn? The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." I had no problem moving to this tab on Win-XP. Did you manage to use the Translation manager with a project containing many forms on Win7? Thanks in advance Am 05.11.2014 11:16, schrieb lior ilan: > Using Windows 7 Ultimate + Sp1 64 bit. > When I try moving to the Workspace tab I get this error: > "Cannot open file D:\myproject\ENU\M...

Web resources about - Delphi 7 on XP connect to SQL 08 on Windows 7 - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

First Capital Connect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( FCC ) is a British train operating company , owned by FirstGroup , operating the Thameslink Great Northern franchise . FCC operates passenger ...

Connect
mobile photography technology, culture and community www.dpreview.com News Reviews Features Phones Tablets Cameras Apps Forums Mobile photography ...

CloudCraze Connects Consumers To Facebook Brands Via Cloud Technology
Brands on Facebook are always looking for new, efficient ways to connect with customers . CloudCraze, which recently released its 3.0 e-commerce ...

Law Firm Partners Need To Connect Personally With Each Other To Manage Their Firm Well Together
... private lawyers must remember that their firms are businesses (if not typical businesses), in order to run their firms well, they need to connect ...

IFTTT gains support for Honeywell Total Connect Comfort with new channel
... creative ideas to make this even better and one of those is home automation. With that in mind, IFTTT is unveiling its Honeywell Total Connect ...

Hillary Clinton connects with Latina voters - Business Insider Deutschland
Clinton is building a targeted campaign infrastructure aimed at Latinas.

Crave giveaway: 128GB SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick
Win a $99.99 compact storage device for the mobile era that has its own Wi-Fi network built right in. Can't beat that for a Black Friday deal. ...

Google Search Connects Trump To Hitler
Searching for Trump's book suggests Mein Kampf as related search

Salesforce Connect Improves Data Integration for Enterprise Apps
Salesforce has renamed and updated its Lightning Connect services to help users access and manage data in external enterprise apps.

Trends For 2016, Part 2: Consumers Find Tech Transformed, Connect With Their Tribes, Reel From Shock
My research, business experience, discussions with clued-in clients, and a mountain of data point to the following trends as the ones to watch ...