Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Hello,

Thanks to all who answered my previous question. That was a great help.
And atlast our client agreed to upgrade our delphi version from 4 to Delphi 2009. *Sigh*.
But before that, I need to give the estimation and cost regarding the migration to delphi 2009.

Can anyone tell me is there any tool to migrate from delphi 4 to delphi 2009 or just I need to compile our Delphi 4 application in Delphi 2009.
I have read from the delphi 2009 feature matrix that Delphi 1 through Delphi 2007 import is possible in delphi 2009. But i am not that sure considering the size of our application.

I am not using any third party components except the Report builder 6.03. I am aware i need to upgrade the report builder to 11.04 since it is compatible with Delphi 2009.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Ashish
0
Ashish
5/21/2009 8:48:07 AM
embarcadero.delphi.non-tech 5934 articles. 1 followers. Follow

<Ashish Sapkal> wrote in message news:119189@forums.codegear.com...
> Can anyone tell me is there any tool to migrate from delphi 4 to delphi
> 2009 or just I need to compile our Delphi 4 application in Delphi 2009.

AFAIK, there is no such tool. You must re-compile your app in D2009 and then
go through every error, warning and hint that compiler generates and fix
them manually. However, removing all errors and warning won't mean that your
app will work as intended. It highly depends on your code and the way it
uses the "string" data type.
0
farshad
5/21/2009 8:58:29 AM
Hi

I believe a tool in in the making.  It was mentioned in a writeup on the
lastest Delphi live seminar.

"Farshad Mohajeri" <farshad@ATfmsoftDOT.net> wrote in message
> <Ashish Sapkal> wrote in message news:119189@forums.codegear.com...
>> Can anyone tell me is there any tool to migrate from delphi 4 to delphi
>> 2009 or just I need to compile our Delphi 4 application in Delphi 2009.
>
> AFAIK, there is no such tool. You must re-compile your app in D2009 and
> then go through every error, warning and hint that compiler generates and
> fix them manually. However, removing all errors and warning won't mean
> that your app will work as intended. It highly depends on your code and
> the way it uses the "string" data type.
0
Godfrey
5/21/2009 3:01:07 PM
Ashish Sapkal wrote:
> Thanks to all who answered my previous question. That was a great help.
> And atlast our client agreed to upgrade our delphi version from 4 to Delphi 2009. *Sigh*.
> But before that, I need to give the estimation and cost regarding the migration to delphi 2009.
>
> Can anyone tell me is there any tool to migrate from delphi 4 to delphi 2009 or just I need to compile our Delphi 4 application in Delphi 2009.
> I have read from the delphi 2009 feature matrix that Delphi 1 through Delphi 2007 import is possible in delphi 2009. But i am not that sure considering the size of our application.
>
> I am not using any third party components except the Report builder 6.03. I am aware i need to upgrade the report builder to 11.04 since it is compatible with Delphi 2009.

The tool is forthcoming. But it sounds like it could be a very easy
migration, especially since you only use one third-party component
library. Another main factor is if you have any assumptions based on the
size of a character. If not, the migration should be very easy.

Read Nick's articles. But beyond that, simply make a copy of your
project, and try to compile it with the newest RB. I migrated 5
applications totaling 2 million loc in a couple of days.

Loren sZendre
0
Loren
5/21/2009 5:11:28 PM
Loren Szendre wrote:

> Read Nick's articles. But beyond that, simply make a copy of your
> project, and try to compile it with the newest RB. I migrated 5
> applications totaling 2 million loc in a couple of days.

Good to hear. One more proof that converting a project to D2009 is not
nearly as hard as some people here (who are pretty silent right now)
loved to claim it would be.

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an
 hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a
 minute. THAT'S relativity." -- Albert Einstein?
0
Rudy
5/21/2009 5:42:59 PM
Ashish Sapkal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to all who answered my previous question. That was a great help.
> And atlast our client agreed to upgrade our delphi version from 4 to Delphi 2009. *Sigh*.
> But before that, I need to give the estimation and cost regarding the migration to delphi 2009.
>
> Can anyone tell me is there any tool to migrate from delphi 4 to delphi 2009 or just I need to compile our Delphi 4 application in Delphi 2009.
> I have read from the delphi 2009 feature matrix that Delphi 1 through Delphi 2007 import is possible in delphi 2009. But i am not that sure considering the size of our application.
>
> I am not using any third party components except the Report builder 6.03. I am aware i need to upgrade the report builder to 11.04 since it is compatible with Delphi 2009.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish

If you have components, they might be the biggest issue. You have to
have an additional unit for the design time links as I recall.

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2009 Conversion

Delphi 2009 alongside Delphi 2007

Upgrading to Delphi 2009 from Delphi 5

is there a Delphi 2007

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

ShareMem Delphi 6 --> Delphi 2009
I have just upgraded from Delphi 6 to Delphi 2009. My software uses about 20 files, plus literally dozens more plug-ins. Every project has ShareMem as its first unit and borlndmm.dll is distributed with the software. I am aware that the Borland Memory Manager was replaced to use FastMM quite some time ago. Will I have to rebuild every EXE and DLL in DElphi 2009 that uses ShareMem, or will supplying the new borlndmm.dll be enough? i.e. I would like to just update the main application EXEs and DLLs, but leave the plug-ins alone. Will this work? Thanks, Jason. -- Jason Sweby ...

Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most important improvements between these versions of Delphi. The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for which we have licenses). Fire at will! -- Saluti, Alessandro Federici ------------------------------- "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." (Mark Twain) Alessandro Federici wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if any of yo...

ShareMem Delphi 6 --> Delphi 2009
I have just upgraded from Delphi 6 to Delphi 2009. My software uses about 20 files, plus literally dozens more plug-ins. Every project has ShareMem as its first unit and borlndmm.dll is distributed with the software. I am aware that the Borland Memory Manager was replaced to use FastMM quite some time ago. Will I have to rebuild every EXE and DLL in DElphi 2009 that uses ShareMem, or will supplying the new borlndmm.dll be enough? i.e. I would like to just update the main application EXEs and DLLs, but leave the plug-ins alone. Will this work? Thanks, Jason. -- Jason Sweby So...

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Why does this work fine in Delphi 2009, but not in Delphi 2010
I've been racking my head trying to figure this out and can't understand what is wrong, TFileStream.ReadComponentRes fails when I try to read a component containing a record, it works fine in Delphi 2009 and Delphi 2007, but fails with Delphi 2010 Here is the unit source and DFM *+//UnitSource+* unit Unit1; interface uses Windows, Messages, SysUtils, Variants, Classes, Graphics, Controls, Forms, Dialogs, StdCtrls; type TThresholdMode = (tm0,tm1,tm2,tm3,tm4,tm5); TThreshold = Record Mode:TThresholdMode; Filter,Start,Stop:Integer; end; ...

Code Porting
Hi people, Basically, I am moving an app from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2009 which is all great (yeah right!) and I am having a couple of issues with some thirdparty components that we have the source code for. Being that I wanted to make the task as easy as possible, I was able to download the component in Delphi 2007 format. I have now managed to port that to 2009 so it compiles only with warnings and no errors. So all is good at this moment. Now I am trying to install the component into the IDE by using the install menu option from the project manager. This is where I run into errors. ...

Web resources about - Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009 - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Domestic firms eye Delphi
BizChina offers latest business and market information of China, online updates of 17 industries, investment guides, business events and industry ...

Official: Verizon's Vehicle Diagnostics by Delphi now on sale for $250
Filed under: Technology Partnering with Verizon Wireless, Delphi Automotive has released its Vehicle Diagnostics by Delphi product that allows ...