Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Hello,
I will have to port a D4 application (with source) to D2007.
what kind of problem could I face ?
I will have to go to customer site tommorow to analyse its source code
to quote the work, what should I care of to hestimate the porting time ?
John
9/10/2008 9:30:46 AM
embarcadero.delphi.non-tech 5934 articles. 1 followers. Follow

John Terry wrote:
> Hello,
> I will have to port a D4 application (with source) to D2007.
> what kind of problem could I face ?
> I will have to go to customer site tommorow to analyse its source code
> to quote the work, what should I care of to hestimate the porting time ?

You can probably do it by just changing a few uses clauses, opening all
forms from within the IDE and then save them, and open the project dof
file and cfg file in a text editor and re-enter the settings in the
project options dialog of D2007. If the project uses a lot of 3rd party
components things /might/ get more complicated.
0
Utf
9/10/2008 9:57:43 AM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 02:30:46 -0700, John Terry wrote:

> I will have to port a D4 application (with source) to D2007.
> what kind of problem could I face ?
> I will have to go to customer site tommorow to analyse its source code
> to quote the work, what should I care of to hestimate the porting time ?

The biggest problems I have are almost always 3rd party controls with
no source code or available updates. You need to include costs for
purchasing updates of controls where necessary. As a warning some
libraries chnage a lot over time (for example Indy 9 to 10) so don't
upgrade if you don't need to.

The other problem I always encounter is that most larger 3rd party
libraries have an include (*.inc) file with defines for each version
of Delphi. I usually need to add one for the newest version of Delphi.
There were also some changes in the way design and runtime packages
were split in later versions of Delphi:
http://tinyurl.com/694w68

Something else I see a lot is that variant functions have moved and
you need to add 'variants' to your uses clause.

--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com
> {quote:title=John Terry wrote:}{quote}
> Hello,
> I will have to port a D4 application (with source) to D2007.
> what kind of problem could I face ?
> I will have to go to customer site tommorow to analyse its source code
> to quote the work, what should I care of to hestimate the porting time ?
> Thanks

I recently did the exact same thing.  Had to replace a few 3rd party controls and update a couple of custom components.  I had a bug that didn't surface until the upgrade to D2007, and some declarations had moved to other units.  All in all not too difficult.  Had around 50 forms and maybe 20 QuickReports (conservative estimate).  It took a 1-2 months working 10-15 hours a week.

The next step is to replace the BDE.  I don't think it will be too difficult.  There are a couple of datamodules that use the old cached updates, but I think TClientDataset, or a disconnected TAdoDataset will work even better.  This will coincide with moving off an old Oracle DB to either the latest Oracle DB or a new DB.
0
Iman
9/10/2008 3:04:53 PM
John Terry wrote:

>I will have to port a D4 application (with source) to D2007.
>what kind of problem could I face ?
>I will have to go to customer site tommorow to analyse its source code
>to quote the work, what should I care of to hestimate the porting time

If I remember correctly, this is also when the Design time and Run Time
separation of components was enforced, so DesignIntf was added to a lot of
uses clauses, and lots of 3rd party control source code for controls with
visual designers had to be rewritten or at the very least segregated.  For
those type of components, it's often easier to purchase upgrades or
outright replacements.

Without doing at least a preliminary investigation of what kind of
components they're using now, it'd be impossible to do even a wild
estimate, IMO.  For example, Delphi 4 still encouraged NetMasters
controls, although WinShoes/Indy was being promoted as an option at the
time.  ADOExpress (soon to become dbGo) wasn't in the product, although
there were a ton of 3rd party wrappers around.

--

-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

John
0
John
9/10/2008 4:03:35 PM
John Terry escreveu:
> Is there a delphi tool that list all the unit used by a project (in
> order to see quickly thirds party units instead of opening each form) ?

GExperts/Project Dependencies?

--

Regards,

Jeferson Oliveira
Brazil

Sent by Mozilla Thunderbird
http://br.mozdev.org/thunderbird
0
Jeferson

> GExperts/Project Dependencies?

but this mean that I should install in on the Customer IDE.

is there a standalone tool that can do this ?
0
John
9/11/2008 8:36:23 AM
"John Terry" <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:13782@forums.codegear.com...
> Thanks
>
>> GExperts/Project Dependencies?
>
> but this mean that I should install in on the Customer IDE.
>
> is there a standalone tool that can do this ?

Yes: the free ModelMaker Tools dependency analyzer does this
(either GUI or command line based):
http://www.modelmakertools.com/articles/unit-dependencies.html
Check towards the top of page for a link to the demo movie
Check bottom of page for link stand-alone version.

You can create (text) reports from both the GUI and cmd line version,

Gerrit Beuze
ModelMaker Tools
0
Gerrit
9/11/2008 9:10:34 AM
Thanks Gerrit !
0
John

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 2009 alongside Delphi 2007

is there a Delphi 2007

Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Delphi 2007 RTL in Delphi 7

Moving from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007
Is there any compelling reason to move (quite a large project) from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007? Specifically, is there better Vista/Win7/Win8 integration provided by Delphi 2007? (In the project I am already using a custom manifest file for Vista/Win7 etc.. and not the std XPMan component) Does 2007 add any new bugs to the scene? Thanks Rael Rael wrote: > Is there any compelling reason to move (quite a large project) from > Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007? If you are going to upgrade, why not upgrade to something newer? > In the project I am already using a custom man...

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2009 Conversion

Delphi 2010 w Delphi 2007

Code Porting
Hi people, Basically, I am moving an app from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2009 which is all great (yeah right!) and I am having a couple of issues with some thirdparty components that we have the source code for. Being that I wanted to make the task as easy as possible, I was able to download the component in Delphi 2007 format. I have now managed to port that to 2009 so it compiles only with warnings and no errors. So all is good at this moment. Now I am trying to install the component into the IDE by using the install menu option from the project manager. This is where I run into errors. ...

Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE2 paint order change
Hello all, I have a program here that does some very specific work in the paint handlers and requires that the controls are painted from bottom to top. This worked just fine under Delphi 2007 but now that we have migrated to Delphi XE2, it no longer works. Tracing the paint order, we discovered that there are cases when the bottom most component (the form for instance) is drawn last instead of first, which means that the painting code we do in the program gets a black area for the bottom most control instead of its background. This was observed with D2007 and DXE2 on the same c...

can i use delphi 2007 bpls in delphi 2009

Web resources about - Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007 - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech