Delphi 2009 book and licensing question

G'day guys,
I was hoping I could get some help with a little dilema I have. I've toyed
with Delphi on and off over the years, and haven't made anything really
serious, but from what I have used of it, I actually enjoyed it. Kind of
ironic for someone who is studying policing as a career. :-)

I would like to teach myself Delphi, and seeing that D2009 is out, does
anyone know of any reasonably good books (either specifically written for
D2009 or not significantly out of date) that would give me a run down of the
language and the IDE? It's been a long time since I have used it, and didn't
really learn it properly but do have Marco Cantu's Mastering Delphi
somewhere around here. One thing that I didn't like was that it had assumed
a background in the language, wish I had known that before I got it
(requested present).

Does anyone know where I could pick up a copy of D2009 Professional under
academic licensing (as I am a university student)? I'm living in Australia
and have not seen anyone online who stocks it, so would a licence still be
valid if I purchased it from say, the United States? I've seen it for around
$100
(http://www.provantage.com/delphi-2009-professional-academic-edition~220184728.htm)
though I'm semi-convinced this is US pricing as I've never heard of
Provantage here. Some places in Australia stock D2009 Architect, and while
I'd like it, it's wa-ay too expensive for me, especially since I'm just
wanting to learn the IDE and so I can play with the new Ribbon Controls,
which was the reason why I didn't want to use Turb Delphi. :-D

Thanks for your assistance guys, much appreciated.

Justin
0
Justin

Hello,

academic licences should be available everywhere. Here in germany they
are at least.

For books: look at lulu.com there are some "print on demand" books
available.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
4/15/2009 6:33:29 PM
Hello,

for that academic edition you could ask some CG staff directly, like
nick hodges. E-Mail can be found here as well or
prename.surename@codegear.com

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
4/15/2009 6:35:03 PM
> {quote:title=Justin Savidge wrote:}{quote}
>
> Does anyone know where I could pick up a copy of D2009 Professional under
> academic licensing (as I am a university student)? I'm living in Australia

Try one of these resellers:

Highcove (Academic Pricing Only) +61 7 33593776
Computelec (Academic pricing only) 1300 36 1988

Ref:

http://www.codegear.com/shop/apac/anz

--
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
> {quote:title=Justin Savidge wrote:}{quote}
> I would like to teach myself Delphi, and seeing that D2009 is out, does
> anyone know of any reasonably good books (either specifically written for
> D2009 or not significantly out of date) that would give me a run down of the
> language and the IDE? It's been a long time since I have used it, and didn't
> really learn it properly but do have Marco Cantu's Mastering Delphi
> somewhere around here. One thing that I didn't like was that it had assumed
> a background in the language, wish I had known that before I got it
> (requested present).

Marco has put the basics in "Essential Pascal" and "Essential Delphi," both available as free ebooks at his website, http://www.marcocantu.com

He has also written a book on Delphi 2009, available as a ebook to all Delphi 2009 registered users, and available in printed form from lulu.com

There are also articles and videos on Delphi 2009 -- start searching from http://edn.embarcadero.com/delphi
--
Rick Carter
Rick

> I would like to teach myself Delphi, and seeing that D2009 is out, does
> anyone know of any reasonably good books (either specifically written for
> D2009 or not significantly out of date) that would give me a run down of the
> language and the IDE?

I've also written a book specifically about the new (language) features
in Delphi 2009, available on Lulu.com as paperback, or as a free PDF
file for anyone who purchases *another* of my PDF courseware manuals (or
  just anyone who has hired me or purchased something from me in the
last decade - but you'd have received your copy already if you were
among these ;-)).

See http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42 for my storefront on Lulu.com or
http://www.eBob42.com/courseware for a list of my courseware manuals in
PDF format (more expensive, but with e-mail support and free updates).

> Justin

Groetjes,
           Bob Swart

CodeGear Technology Partner -- CodeGear RAD Studio Reseller (BeNeLux)
Delphi Win32 & .NET books on Lulu.com: http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42
Personal courseware + e-mail support http://www.ebob42.com/courseware
Blog: http://www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: http://eBob42.com/weblog.xml
0
Bob
4/16/2009 3:32:45 PM
Rick Carter wrote:

> He has also written a book on Delphi 2009, available as a ebook to all Delphi
> 2009 registered users, and available in printed form from lulu.com

How can I get this, Rick?

--
Warm Regards,

Lee
0
Lee
4/16/2009 3:58:07 PM
Hello,

if you're a registered D2009 user you can go to the website for updates
for registered users and download it there. Otherwise go to lulu.com and
buy it.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus

Delphi and Delphi Prism licensing question
When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence" or a "workstation licence"? Can I install both products on two machines I use with the same licence keys? I have a Mac Pro ("Cyrus") running Vista 64 in VMware and a MacBook ("Blacky") running Vista 32 in Parallels. Can I install Delphi and Delphi Prism on both Cyrus and Blacky since I use both machines (and like to have all dev tools I use installed on both machines at all times)? Andrew Brehm wrote: > When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence...

Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most important improvements between these versions of Delphi. The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for which we have licenses). Fire at will! -- Saluti, Alessandro Federici ------------------------------- "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." (Mark Twain) Alessandro Federici wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if any of yo...

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Nice, Delphi XE includes free access to earlier version licenses and downloads for Delphi 2010, 2009, 2007 and 7.
Looking at the details for Delphi XE Professional while checking the prices etc and found the above as part of a paragraph. "Delphi XE includes free access to earlier version licenses and downloads for Delphi 2010, 2009, 2007 and 7. Details will be included with your order confirmation email and in the product readme." Very nice bonus! Brian > {quote:title=Brian Evans wrote:}{quote} > Looking at the details for Delphi XE Professional while checking the > prices etc and found the above as part of a paragraph. > > "Delphi XE includes free acce...

Upgrading to Delphi 2009 from Delphi 5

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2009 Conversion

Delphi 2009 alongside Delphi 2007

is there a Delphi 2007

Delphi 2009 Questions
I have been using Delphi 7 for years, but would like to consider 2009, but have third party issues. Perhaps someone has some suggestions for the following: 1. I make heavy use of the GTSizer component to make the forms adjust to whatever screen resolution is being used and to keep all the components and label and grid text proportional for any screen resolution. GTSizer will not support 2009. Does anyone know of another component or method to keeps components proportional? Sure would be nice of Delphi would provide a built in option for this. 2. I have been using the TextControl libra...

Delphi 2009 books
Hi All I searched for books on Delphi 2009. Why so few. There is only about 2 and the sites like amazon dont seem to stock them. Regards Godfrey > {quote:title=Godfrey Fletcher wrote:}{quote} > > I searched for books on Delphi 2009. Delphi 2009 Handbook by Marco Cantu. > {quote:title=Godfrey Fletcher wrote:}{quote} > Hi All > > I searched for books on Delphi 2009. Why so few. There is only about 2 and > the > sites like amazon dont seem to stock them. > > Regards > Godfrey look in www.lulu.com for newer Delphi books. Fro...

Delphi licensing question
Hello! I am using Delphi 7 (developer licence). For debugging purposes I would like to install a copy of Delphi on a production server owned by a business partner. This computer is a dedicated server used only for our system and I am the only one one who would be using Delphi installled on this server. Am I allowed to do this or is there another way (Remote debugging is out of the question for security reasons) Thank you for your answers Habo habo habo schrieb: > Hello! > > I am using Delphi 7 (developer licence). For debugging purposes I would like to install a copy o...

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Web resources about - Delphi 2009 book and licensing question - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Copyright Licensing Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article reads like a news release , or is otherwise written in an overly promotional tone. Please help by either rewriting this article ...

Supshot: photo sharing and licensing in one app
We’ve established that I’m not much of a photographer, but this seems like a good idea to me. The app is free to download on the App Store.

Licensing.biz - LinkedIn
A place for like-minded licensing industry professionals to meet and exchange ideas.

How does turntable.fm's licensing work?
3 question followers. Be the first to answer.

Hulu Licensing Twat Up - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Seriously hulu, I know you're working out deals with distributes but remember, a link in the inter-tubes is global and some of us aren't 'fortunate' ...

Licensing Gone Wild: Armed Government Agents Raiding Barber Shops - YouTube
IJ CITY STUDIES: http://ij.org/citystudies PAUL SHERMAN: http://ij.org/staff/627 POWER OF ONE: http://ij.org/about/3425 NEWS ARTICLE: http://bit.ly/ddqEGA ...

New licensing law for UAE transport firms
Companies will be charged varying amounts for each vehicle depending on what it carries, with tough penalties for those who fail to pay

Man behind famous Windows XP wallpaper wishes he'd negotiated a better licensing deal
The default Windows XP wallpaper containing rolling green hills, blue sky and fluffy white clouds may be more recognisable than the Mona Lisa, ...

Brand Licensing Europe 2015: YouTube Stars and European Americana
The European licensing market has been growing. The region is now responsible for 25% of the world's licensed merchandise sold at retail, according ...

Qualcomm could face fines in Korea over licensing practices
... 10 percent, hitting a four year low, following revelations that an antitrust investigation in South Korea has raised issues over its licensing ...