Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

Hello, all.

I have medium sized project which includes about 20Mb of source code (just
size of *.pas files). I use Delphi 2006. There are third party component
suites JVCL, DevExpress Bars, Pegasus Imaging. All updates applied. The main
problem is IDE stability. About four..five times a day IDE become unstable
after intensive usage of code insight functions (most often I press
Ctrl+Space key). The best outcome is that I have to save everything and
restart the IDE. The worst outcome is when IDE stalls or falls into endless
loop of error messages and any unsaved work is lost. OS - Vista.

I want to know if Delphi 2009 IDE have significantly improved stability or
its stability same as in Delphi 2006. Question to all D2009 users. How many
times you had to restart IDE because of IDE failure let's say last two
weeks?
0
Andrew

Hello,

> {quote:title=Andrew Fionik wrote:}{quote}
>
> I want to know if Delphi 2009 IDE have significantly improved stability or
> its stability same as in Delphi 2006. Question to all D2009 users. How many
> times you had to restart IDE because of IDE failure let's say last two
> weeks?

I restarted it one or two times because it made Windows look like it was out of GDI handles (both RAD Studio and other programs began to display incomplete window title bars, white areas instead of icons etc.), but I did not yet experience an IDE instability that forced me to restart.

--
Moritz

"Hey, it compiles! Ship it!"
0
Moritz
12/5/2008 7:22:27 AM
Hello,

I'm currently using D2007 with a project group which has > 100K LOC.
The only problem I sometimes face is, that when I do File/Close all I
get a Index out of bounds(1) message and have to restart the IDE. But
I'm not loosing source code with this.

I think D2009 is even more improved as far as I already saw it.
It has even faster startup times.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
12/5/2008 9:04:06 AM
Hi Andrew,

our main project has > 750k LoC "pure delphi". It was ported from D5 over 2006 (Turbo Delphi) to D2007, the move to D2009 is in the pipeline. D2006 was a pain, several times a day I had to restart the ide. With switching to D2007 all the pain was gone - it runs smooth, stable and well. I expect the same with D2009.

Greetings

Udo
0
Udo
12/5/2008 9:24:12 AM
> How many
> times you had to restart IDE because of IDE failure let's say last two
> weeks?

Zero :-)

FuturixImager 5.9 Beta 3 is now available at fximage.com
0
Alexander
12/5/2008 9:28:30 AM
Andrew Fionik wrote:
> I want to know if Delphi 2009 IDE have significantly improved stability or
> its stability same as in Delphi 2006.

I gave up on 2006 and went back to Delphi 7. It wasn't until 2007 that I
could even do a full days work in a version of Delphi higher than 7
without screaming, crying, and tearing out my hair.

Delphi 2007 is solid, but had its annoyances for me, including the darn
tool palette focus issue (solved in 2009) and a few editor .cpp
assertion failures (which send the IDE crashing to a halt).

Delphi 2009 has been rock solid, and it is the best version of Delphi
ever, in my humble opinion.  I have not tried the Remote Debug yet in
2009 but if it works great, then I am ready to retire Delphi 7 at last,
forever.

If it doesn't support remote debug, then I will have to keep Delphi 7
around until CodeGear gets it right.  But other than that, I have no
issues.  Has anyone tried remote debug in 2009?

Warren
0
Warren
12/5/2008 3:24:54 PM
"Warren Postma" <wp@tekran.com> wrote in message
> If it doesn't support remote debug, then I will have to keep Delphi 7
> around until CodeGear gets it right.  But other than that, I have no
> issues.  Has anyone tried remote debug in 2009?

Hmm.  Good to know.  Thanks.

-d
0
Dennis
12/5/2008 3:58:20 PM
Hello,

> {quote:title=Warren Postma wrote:}{quote}
>
> Has anyone tried remote debug in 2009?

Yes; it works well (although I can speak for C++Builder only).

--
Moritz

"Hey, it compiles! Ship it!"
0
Moritz

Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most important improvements between these versions of Delphi. The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for which we have licenses). Fire at will! -- Saluti, Alessandro Federici ------------------------------- "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." (Mark Twain) Alessandro Federici wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if any of yo...

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Importing Delphi 2009 project in Delphi 2006
I've been using Delphi 2006 for a while and have never really felt the need to upgrade to a newer release given the expense. I'm looking at taking over on a project from someone else who developed it in Delphi 2009. The only code incompatibilities he can think of is some of the Unicode changes that were introduced after D2006 but that should be fairly easy to fix. My main concern is whether or not a project that was created in Delphi 2009 can even be *opened* in Delphi 2006. I don't know how file exte nsions or formats have changed between the two versions. Can anyone give me...

vcljpg to vclimg, packages and Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2010 compatibility
Hello, everybody. I have a package A which has vcljpg in its "requires" clause. I have another several packages B, C, D, E, etc which has A in theirs "requires" clauses. All packages are both Delphi 2006 and Delphi 2010 compatible. The problem is that there is no vcljpg package in Delphi 2010 and in order to compile the whole bunch of packages I have to change vcljpg to vclimg and compile. Unfortunately it renders the whole set of packages incompilable under Delphi 2006. Is there a way to create an alias for vclimg or vcljpg in order to get the same code...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2009 Conversion

Upgrading to Delphi 2009 from Delphi 5

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

Delphi 2009 alongside Delphi 2007

delphi 2006 code in delphi 2010

is there a Delphi 2007

Delphi 2006 product activation (re end of support for Delphi 2006) [Edit]
Apologies if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I recently got an email informing me support for Delphi 2006 was going to be dropped. I have mostly converted to Delphi 2009 now, but I'll still be able to activate my copy of 2006 on any future installation right? Edited by: David Howes on Jul 18, 2009 9:53 AM David Howes wrote: > Apologies if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I recently got an email informing me support for Delphi 2006 was going to be dropped. I have mostly converted to Delphi 2009 now, but I'll still be able to acti...

Web resources about - Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Longitudinal static stability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Longitudinal static stability is the stability of an aircraft in the longitudinal, or pitching, plane under steady-flight conditions. This characteristic ...

F8: Mark Zuckerberg Stresses Platform Stability, Users’ Control Of Data, Gap Between Mobile Platforms ...
... global developer conference in San Francisco Wednesday with a keynote address during which he focused on steps being taken to ensure the stability ...

Facebook Improving Chat Stability, Asking Users to Upgrade from IE6 by September 15
... sharing exact usage numbers). But the main news is this: Chat has been getting some technical upgrades intended to resolve long-standing stability ...

Using Camera Strap for Stability - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
This picture shows how the strap goes over my right shoulder (not visible) and comes under my left arm. I can then use my forearm to keep tension ...

New Egypt President Sworn In, Urges Stability - YouTube
Egypt's former army chief Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi was sworn in Sunday as president for a four-year term, assuming the highest office of a deeply ...

43% Confident In Stability of U.S. Banking Industry
Confidence in the stability of the U.S. banking system has fallen to its lowest level in over a year of monthly tracking. A new Rasmussen Reports ...

The old medicine: Henry Kissinger’s prescription for global stability
Kissinger’s latest work proposes a return to the balance-of-power system that produced relative peace in Europe in the 19th century – an idea ...

Stability helps secure a loan
Here are my top tips to ensure first-time mortgage borrowers can secure a loan.

Inskip sinkhole: Geotechnical engineers to use radar to assess camping area stability
Engineers to use ground-penetrating radar to assess the area surrounding a massive sinkhole that closed campgrounds at Inskip Point near Fraser ...

Xinhua Insight: China stresses stability, security on Xinjiang's founding ...
CCTV Xinhua Insight: China stresses stability, security on Xinjiang's founding ... CCTV URUMQI, Oct. 1 (Xinhua) Top political advisor Yu Zhengsheng ...