Crystal Reports 2008 and Delphi 2007

Hello all.

As a technical support representative for Crystal Reports and BOE SDKs, I often come across Delphi developers requesting assistance with Crystal Reports.
With help from a couple of co-workers, I wrote an article on Crystal Reports SDKs and Delphi. The article "Crystal Reports Support for Delphi – History and Present" is available at this link:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70533725-7926-2c10-f3b5-dd99fcfcd482

Feedback from the Delphi developer community, is very much appreciated. Feedback can be either through this forum, the Crystal Reports "Development - Other"
support forum:

https://forums.sdn.sap.com/forum.jspa?forumID=317

or the blog at this link:
https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14384

Happy coding all,
Ludek
0
Ludek

Ludek Uher wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>As a technical support representative for Crystal Reports and BOE
>SDKs, I often come across Delphi developers requesting assistance
>with Crystal Reports.  With help from a couple of co-workers, I wrote
>an article on Crystal Reports SDKs and Delphi. The article "Crystal
>Reports Support for Delphi – History and Present" is available at
>this link:

Thanks, but the most recent delphi version is 2009 and i think most of
us are interested in that version (with backward compatibiliy to 2007
and lower).

Any news on that?

Thanks,
Marius
0
Marius
5/20/2009 11:18:33 PM
It should work - no magic. In the blog (https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14384)
related to the article we added a note:

With Embarcadero's latest Delphi .NET offering, Delphi Prism, you no longer need to go through these steps to use our .NET SDK.

Using the trial version of Delphi Prism which installed into a Visual Studio 2008 shell, on install of our Crystal 2008 product it automatically updated the shell to include our SDK. Everything just works as you expect.

Please note that Crystal Reports does have to be the last product to be installed.

Ludek
0
Ludek
5/21/2009 3:54:38 PM
Ludek Uher wrote:

>It should work - no magic. In the blog
>(https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14384) related
>to the article we added a note:
>
>With Embarcadero's latest Delphi .NET offering, Delphi Prism, you no
>longer need to go through these steps to use our .NET SDK.
>
>Using the trial version of Delphi Prism which installed into a Visual
>Studio 2008 shell, on install of our Crystal 2008 product it
>automatically updated the shell to include our SDK. Everything just
>works as you expect.
>
>Please note that Crystal Reports does have to be the last product to
>be installed.

Sorry, we only use VCL so the above .net remarks isn't usefull for us.
(Please mention Delphi Prism or Delphi 2007 .NET the next time you
advertise Crystal)

Reading that Crystal VCL is a dead product makes me (and problably many
other VCL users) really sad. Delphi prism and .net has no future in our
compagny (mainly because of how borland and CG dealed with it) so we
will phase out the use of crystal or just simply stick with XI.

FYI: Did you see the thread in embarcadero.public.delphi.non-technical
with subject "Delphi 2009 and Crystal Reports XI". If you want to do
anything for the delphi VCL community you could ask Nils for the
adjusted sources and unofficially distribute it.

Greetings,
Marius
0
Marius
5/21/2009 6:25:00 PM
Understood re. the VCL. Unfortunately, the VCL has a rather "interesting" history. The component was actually developed by a support rep (Frank Zimerman) a long, long time ago. R&D never wanted to go near it. So, Frank kept upgrading the VCL as each version of CR was released. Frank eventually retired to the Ozarks, or Kootneys or some place, but TS kept updating the VCL as far as possible. Unfortunately, as the VCL is just a wrapper around the print engine APIs (crpe32.dll) and the print engine win APIs
(and thus the header files) were retired in version 9 of CR, it became harder and harder to keep updating the VCL with new CR features. You can still update the VCL so it works with CR 2008, but obviously you will not be able to take advantage of any new CR features (cascading / dynamic parameters, flash, etc.). Similar story with the COM RDC. This component was retired in CR 20089, but was "deprecated" in version 9, so new feature support was tricky at best.
I suppose this is a story of the inexorable march of technological "progress"...

I will ask Nils for the adjusted source. From the thread, I am not sure if this is the VCL. If it is, then this is covered in this article:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/80c191b8-6664-2b10-498e-e1295146891f

and anyone can do that. Rather a trivial process I suppose since even I was able to do it in minutes.

Anyhow, have a great weekend and happy coding,
Ludek
0
Ludek
5/22/2009 8:14:08 PM
Hello,

no I feel this is a totally different story: the story of mismanagement.
If something was developed by the support department in contrast to R&D
and R&D didn't take over it but it was sold anyway "because it works"
that's bad. It's not the job of the support guys to update such things.
So it will fall off sooner or later, just a matter of time.

But if it helps selling the product, means is getting important enough
somebody must decide that R&D has to take it, whether they like it or
not. It has to be made properly then. If that doesn't happen, sales (if
they are intelligent enough) must press that this happens.

So the question from a not crystal using Delphi user: was the VCL
product any success or of any importance?

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
5/24/2009 8:51:33 PM
> Understood re. the VCL. Unfortunately, the VCL has a rather "interesting"
> history.
> The component was actually developed by a support rep (Frank Zimerman) a
> long, long time ago. R&D never wanted to go near it.
> So, Frank kept upgrading the VCL as each version of CR was released.

Frank did describe this history of the VCL at his website. For the ones who
want to read it, I kept a copy:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/gdeboom/Frank%20Zimmerman/users.uniserve.ca/_zimmerman/delphi.htm

Gert
0
Gert
5/25/2009 6:42:16 PM
Good morning @all,

I've written a bridge between the .NET Crystal Reports 2008 and Delphi 2009.
Right now I don't have to time to finish all of it - I will try to do so in
September - I will make it open source then.

Nils

"Ludek Uher" wrote in message news:119022@forums.codegear.com...
> Hello all.
>
> As a technical support representative for Crystal Reports and BOE SDKs, I
> often come across Delphi developers requesting assistance with Crystal
> Reports.
> With help from a couple of co-workers, I wrote an article on Crystal
> Reports SDKs and Delphi. The article "Crystal Reports Support for Delphi –
> History and Present" is available at this link:
>
> https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70533725-7926-2c10-f3b5-dd99fcfcd482
>
> Feedback from the Delphi developer community, is very much appreciated.
> Feedback can be either through this forum, the Crystal Reports
> "Development - Other"
> support forum:
>
> https://forums.sdn.sap.com/forum.jspa?forumID=317
>
> or the blog at this link:
> https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14384
>
> Happy coding all,
> Ludek
0
Nils
5/27/2009 7:52:16 AM
> I've written a bridge between the .NET Crystal Reports 2008 and Delphi
> 2009.
> Right now I don't have to time to finish all of it - I will try to do so
> in
> September - I will make it open source then.

I did some tests with the viewer. Yet, the other component did not expose a
COM interface if i remember correctly. You talk about a bridge, do you mean
you have solved this by writing a COM enabled .NET interface to the Crystal
..NET classes?

For performance reasons (it took simply too long to load the Crystal .NET
components - first time only) I switched to using the ActiveX viewer with
the Active Data driver (still on my to do list). How did you solve the
performance problem? Or was it just slow because of my implementation?

I'll keep an extra eye on the newsgroups in September...

Gert
0
Gert
5/29/2009 6:39:01 PM
> As a technical support representative for Crystal Reports and BOE SDKs,
>  I often come across Delphi developers requesting assistance with Crystal
> Reports.

Ludek,

At first I thought you were announcing a return of native code interfaces to
Crystal. Too bad the news was not that good. Yet, it has been years since
someone from Crystal Reports has been around in these newsgroups (I suppose
Frank was the last one). Thank you for your informative posting.

Could I ask a related question? Will you keep supporting the ActiveX viewer
and the Active Data driver for newer versions of Crystal Reports? I'm
planning to switch from RDC/ActiveX Viewer to this new combination. Still
I'm a bit reluctant because when I changed from the VCL to the RDC (as
advised) only shortly after that move was finished it was mentioned the RDC
was also deprecated technology.

Or would it be better to wait for Nils' .NET bridge solution he announced
else in this thread?

Gert
0
Gert
5/29/2009 6:39:02 PM
Hello Gert:

Unfortunately, all I have is more bad news. The RDC has been retired and no longer ships with CR 2008 (12.0). Last version to ship the RDC is CR XI release 2 and patch support for it terminates in June of this year.

From CR 2008 on, the only SDks will be for .NET and Java.

Ludek
0
Ludek
5/29/2009 10:04:03 PM
Very much looing for Crystal Reports 2008 and Delphi 2009, Thanks

> {quote:title=Ludek Uher wrote:}{quote}
> Hello all.
>
> As a technical support representative for Crystal Reports and BOE SDKs, I often come across Delphi developers requesting assistance with Crystal Reports.
> With help from a couple of co-workers, I wrote an article on Crystal Reports SDKs and Delphi. The article "Crystal Reports Support for Delphi – History and Present" is available at this link:
>
> https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70533725-7926-2c10-f3b5-dd99fcfcd482
>
> Feedback from the Delphi developer community, is very much appreciated. Feedback can be either through this forum, the Crystal Reports "Development - Other"
> support forum:
>
> https://forums.sdn.sap.com/forum.jspa?forumID=317
>
> or the blog at this link:
> https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14384
>
> Happy coding all,
> Ludek
0
Tony

Crystal report 2008 in Delphi 2010
Hi there, I’m using Delphi 2010 & Crystal report 2008 vcl in our application. We have changed the version number in ucrpe32.pas file & modified the related files to work with version 2008. But we are getting the following error Error: 538 Error in File Employee.rpt: Parameter has invalid structure size. ‘PrintOptions.GetCopies<PEGetPrintOptions>' Could you please help me to resolve this problem. Thanks & regards, Mary > {quote:title=Mary James wrote:}{quote} > Hi there, > > I’m using Delphi 2010 & Crystal report 2008 vcl in our applicat...

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Migrate Crystal Reports 8.5 to 2008 in Delphi via RDC... Help !!!
Hello, I use Delphi 2005 with Crystal 8.5 RDC and need upgrade to Delphi 2007 and Crystal 2008 (v12)... I´m looking for using Crystal Reports 2008 in Delphi 2007 via RDC ... its possible? (Or some other option?) Someone have some patch to it? thanks . > {quote:title=aeeeeeeee beeeeeeee wrote:}{quote} > Hello, > I use Delphi 2005 with Crystal 8.5 RDC and need upgrade to Delphi 2007 and Crystal 2008 (v12)... > > I´m looking for using Crystal Reports 2008 in Delphi 2007 via RDC ... its possible? > (Or some other option?) > > Someone have som...

is there a Delphi 2007

ANN: Delphi HTML Reports preview

Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Moving from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007
Is there any compelling reason to move (quite a large project) from Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007? Specifically, is there better Vista/Win7/Win8 integration provided by Delphi 2007? (In the project I am already using a custom manifest file for Vista/Win7 etc.. and not the std XPMan component) Does 2007 add any new bugs to the scene? Thanks Rael Rael wrote: > Is there any compelling reason to move (quite a large project) from > Delphi 7 to Delphi 2007? If you are going to upgrade, why not upgrade to something newer? > In the project I am already using a custom man...

Delphi 2010 w Delphi 2007

Delphi 2007 RTL in Delphi 7

Delphi 2009 alongside Delphi 2007

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2009 Conversion

Code Porting
Hi people, Basically, I am moving an app from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2009 which is all great (yeah right!) and I am having a couple of issues with some thirdparty components that we have the source code for. Being that I wanted to make the task as easy as possible, I was able to download the component in Delphi 2007 format. I have now managed to port that to 2009 so it compiles only with warnings and no errors. So all is good at this moment. Now I am trying to install the component into the IDE by using the install menu option from the project manager. This is where I run into errors. ...

Web resources about - Crystal Reports 2008 and Delphi 2007 - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Crystal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about crystalline solids. For the type of glass, see Lead glass . For other uses, see Crystal (disambiguation) . A crystal or ...

Wellington, the town in NSW where crystal meth costs less than beer
One NSW town is so overrun by the drug ice that it is known as &quot;little Antarctica&quot;, and police say children as young as 10 are experimenting. ...

Steve McClaren irate after Newcastle United's humiliating loss to Crystal Palace
Steve McClaren will haul his embattled Newcastle squad in for an extra training session on Sunday following their humiliating defeat at Crystal ...

Whoomp! There It Is Crystal Pepsi Is Coming Back
PepsiCo has made it official: Crystal Pepsi is coming back, but only for a limited time via a sweepstakes. The marketer hinted at a comeback ...

Crystal Security is a compact cloud-based malware detector
... with real-time protection and you’re generally weighing down your system with services, drivers, DLLs, background processes and more. Crystal ...

Former CIA Chief Morell: ‘Crystal Clear’ Obama’s ISIS Strategy Is Not Working
Former CIA Chief Morell: 'Crystal Clear' Obama's ISIS Strategy is Not Working

Statement from Premier League’s Crystal Palace Football Club
Crystal Palace Football Club is delighted to announce that it has today signed a deal with investors Josh Harris and David Blitzer. The deal ...

Crystal Lake man, 18, killed kitten over fight about bong: prosecutor
The 18-year-old man accused of killing a kitten with his bare hands had become enraged during an argument with his sister over a bong, a prosecutor ...

CEO: My 'crystal ball' is smoky
Here's what is keeping Corporate America on the sidelines, according to Waste Management CEO David Steiner.

Return Of Crystal Pepsi Confirmed, But You Can’t Actually Buy It
A few months ago, the word on the street was that Pepsi was bringing back a carbonated ’90s icon, Crystal Pepsi . The clear-caffeine-free beverage ...