Compatability problem Windows7 and ADO database acces from Delphi XE

All,
I don't know where i need to post this, so i thought i'd try here, if someone can tell me where i need to put this posting.

I have an application written in Delphi XE which uses ADO database connectivity.
It retrieves data from an IBM i (AS400) using SQL either directly or via user defined table functions on the server side. (Queries are run via TADOConnection, TADODataset and TADOQuery)
The application runs 100% perfectly on Windows XP, but when i try to run the program on Windows7 i have the following issues:

32 Bit.
All the UDTFs work correctly except one. This is not related to user profile rights on the IBM i as the same user connecting with Windows XP functions correctly.

64 bit.
The software efrfectively doesn't work. It will run correctly if XP mode (ie a virtual machine) is used.

Questions:
Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour?
Would running Delphi XE on a Windows7 machine and compiling the source there make a difference?
Is there a difference in the way ADO works between XP & Windows7?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions
Geoff Cox
0
Geoff

On 2/20/2012 9:09 AM, Geoff COX wrote:
> All,
> I don't know where i need to post this, so i thought i'd try here, if someone can tell me where i need to put this posting.
>
> I have an application written in Delphi XE which uses ADO database connectivity.
> It retrieves data from an IBM i (AS400) using SQL either directly or via user defined table functions on the server side. (Queries are run via TADOConnection, TADODataset and TADOQuery)
> The application runs 100% perfectly on Windows XP, but when i try to run the program on Windows7 i have the following issues:
>
> 32 Bit.
> All the UDTFs work correctly except one. This is not related to user profile rights on the IBM i as the same user connecting with Windows XP functions correctly.
>
> 64 bit.
> The software efrfectively doesn't work. It will run correctly if XP mode (ie a virtual machine) is used.
>
> Questions:
> Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour?
> Would running Delphi XE on a Windows7 machine and compiling the source there make a difference?
> Is there a difference in the way ADO works between XP&  Windows7?
>
> Thanks for any help and/or suggestions
> Geoff Cox

I haven't got any experience with your exact setup but every problem
I've seen on Win7 with Delphi/ADO (Oracle, SQL Server and Access) have
been due to permissions issues on the client.

Even when the user is an admin on his/her own machine, Win7 effectively
degrades the user's permissions once login is complete.

Are there any folders on the client to which your application requires
write or execute permissions?

Ray
0
Lester
2/20/2012 5:02:59 PM
Geoff COX wrote:

> All,
> I don't know where i need to post this, so i thought i'd try here, if
> someone can tell me where i need to put this posting.
>
> I have an application written in Delphi XE which uses ADO database
> connectivity.  It retrieves data from an IBM i (AS400) using SQL
> either directly or via user defined table functions on the server
> side. (Queries are run via TADOConnection, TADODataset and TADOQuery)
> The application runs 100% perfectly on Windows XP, but when i try to
> run the program on Windows7 i have the following issues:
>
> 32 Bit.
> All the UDTFs work correctly except one. This is not related to user
> profile rights on the IBM i as the same user connecting with Windows
> XP functions correctly.
>
> 64 bit.
> The software efrfectively doesn't work. It will run correctly if XP
> mode (ie a virtual machine) is used.
>
> Questions:
> Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour?
> Would running Delphi XE on a Windows7 machine and compiling the
> source there make a difference?  Is there a difference in the way ADO
> works between XP & Windows7?
>
> Thanks for any help and/or suggestions
> Geoff Cox

Is your application accessing the AS/400 database directly via ADO or
is it passing through some ODBC or IBM data access drivers? I recall
that using IBM Client Access software needed to be installed to access
AS/400 from PCs.

The issue you are experience could be related to compatiblity issues
for the drivers between 32 and 64 bits versions. It could also be
related to a mismatch in Windows international format settings (found
in Control Panel). Could you run a trace on the host system CL to see
what happens (messages, database command execution trace) when you run
your app from Windows 7?

Have you tried posting this query on the IBM support forums?

--
Steve Faleiro
0
Am 20.02.2012 15:09, schrieb Geoff COX:
> All,
> I don't know where i need to post this, so i thought i'd try here, if someone can tell me where i need to put this posting.
>
> I have an application written in Delphi XE which uses ADO database connectivity.
> It retrieves data from an IBM i (AS400) using SQL either directly or via user defined table functions on the server side. (Queries are run via TADOConnection, TADODataset and TADOQuery)
> The application runs 100% perfectly on Windows XP, but when i try to run the program on Windows7 i have the following issues:
>
> 32 Bit.
> All the UDTFs work correctly except one. This is not related to user profile rights on the IBM i as the same user connecting with Windows XP functions correctly.
>
> 64 bit.
> The software efrfectively doesn't work. It will run correctly if XP mode (ie a virtual machine) is used.

You didn't tell us what fails. Any error messages? Does it display data
but messed up? ...

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
2/20/2012 8:39:48 PM
> {quote:title=Geoff COX wrote:}{quote}
> All,
> I don't know where i need to post this, so i thought i'd try here, if someone can tell me where i need to put this posting.
>
> I have an application written in Delphi XE which uses ADO database connectivity.
> It retrieves data from an IBM i (AS400) using SQL either directly or via user defined table functions on the server side. (Queries are run via TADOConnection, TADODataset and TADOQuery)
> The application runs 100% perfectly on Windows XP, but when i try to run the program on Windows7 i have the following issues:
>
> 32 Bit.
> All the UDTFs work correctly except one. This is not related to user profile rights on the IBM i as the same user connecting with Windows XP functions correctly.
>
> 64 bit.
> The software efrfectively doesn't work. It will run correctly if XP mode (ie a virtual machine) is used.
>
> Questions:
> Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour?
> Would running Delphi XE on a Windows7 machine and compiling the source there make a difference?
> Is there a difference in the way ADO works between XP & Windows7?
>
> Thanks for any help and/or suggestions
> Geoff Cox

A bit more detail...
There are no error messages on the IBM server job, so no access issues exists on the server side. The thing i find bizzare is that when running 32 bit is that all the queries work except one.
With no errors either SQL of CPF produced for the job, to me suggests a possible difference in behavour for the OLE/ADO driver. The only difference SQL wise is that the UDTF that does not work has 18 columns in the result table, but i fail to see why this should be an issue.
No Delphi exceptions are raised either, when trying to acces the dataset.
FrameClientDataSet.Eof is always true. Ie: it suggest that no results are found but the SQL works correctly on the as400 and the result set is always found for any user on a machine running XP.
TADOConnection uses the client access OLE Driver provided by IBM (IBM DB2 for i5/OS IBMDASQL OLE DB Provider), which is about the only free way you can access the as400. The standard DB2connect software used by the majority of AS400 ODBC access components requires a user lisence (payable) for the as400.
0
Geoff
2/21/2012 7:06:50 AM
[snip]

> The only difference SQL wise is that the UDTF that does not work has
18 columns in the result table, but i fail to see why this should be an
issue.

From that one I get that the majority of SQL queries run fine even in 64
bit?

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus
2/21/2012 6:11:32 PM
No, as stated in my original post, it doesn't work at all in 64 bit.
All the queries except one function in 32 bit.

> {quote:title=Markus Humm wrote:}{quote}
> [snip]
>
> > The only difference SQL wise is that the UDTF that does not work has
> 18 columns in the result table, but i fail to see why this should be an
> issue.
>
> From that one I get that the majority of SQL queries run fine even in 64
> bit?
>
> Greetings
>
> Markus
0
Geoff
2/22/2012 8:27:33 AM
Suggestion:

Check the locale format for date/time and decimal separator (comma or dot?) on the computer...

Lots of Delphi functions rely on this (DateToStr, FloatToStr...). The weirdest things start happening if the decimal separator is a comma and you try to submit a query containing a floating point number to a database server. Also, various SQL dialects expect different string formats for dates, never hardwire them...
0
Arthur
2/24/2012 1:19:39 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
0
Geoff
2/24/2012 1:50:39 PM
Am 24.02.2012 14:50, schrieb Geoff COX:
> Thanks for all the suggestions.

Another hint would be to ask in one of the database related groups, as
there are surely some database gurus reading those and they can give you
more and better advice. I for instance do use databases now and then but
not too deeply.

Greetings

Markus
0
Markus

Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE Crystal BPL problem [Edit]
I am in the process of migrating our application from Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE and, for ease of use, I have both 2006 and XE installed on my development computer. I access Crystal Reports XI RDC in our application and so I rebuilt the BPL in XE in order to add the new package to XE. However, when I try to add the package to XE I get the error message: “Registration procedure, Craxddrt_tbl.Register in the package c:\Documents and Settings\All Uers\Documents\RADS Studio\8.0\BPL\Crystal.bpl raised exception class EFilerError: Component TDatabase can’t be registered by package crystal.bpl be...

Problem upgrading web service client from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE
In trying to upgrade our web service client to Delphi XE we have now get a web service error of Invalid Format. When we examine the SOAP request we see the following differences from Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE In Delphi 7 we get <SomeStuff xmlns="" xsi:nil="true" /> In Delphi XE we get <SomeStuff xsi:nil="true" /> We have narrowed the failure down to these differences in the client request. Is there anyway to get Delphi XE to generate a SOAP request with the xmlns attribute set to blank as it used to be? Hello, > In trying to u...

Upgrade from Delphi 5 and Delphi XE: Variant and SysUtils unit problems.
Hi. I am a newbie to Delhi XE. I have just taken on the task of converting my stuff from Delphi 5 [sic] to Delphi XE. The first errors I got was "Variants unit out of data or corrupted" and "symbol deprecated" in SysUtils I hope I can fix the problem by simply pointing to the "up-to-date" units. I am also wondering wether I will not have to switch to Unicode, since the errors seem to be string related (not that I know what changing to Unicode entails). Any help? Marcus > {quote:title=Marcus de Bruin wrote:}{quote} > Hi. > > I...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Delphi XE Problems
I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this question. I've had a couple of problems with RAD Studio XE Pro. Firstly, the version on my desktop suddenly 'crashed' when loading AQ7BDS8.bp. l've used a 'workaround' by renaming AQ7BDS8, XE now loads without AQTime support (and interestingly the CodeSite options have also disappeared from the tools menu). I've logged the problem with Quality Central (89645). The copy on my laptop continued to work without a problem - until this evening. It appears to load OK, but then hangs just after the splash screen...

Delphi XE Problems
I posted this originally in the Non-technical area. I've had a couple of problems with RAD Studio XE Pro. Firstly, the version on my desktop suddenly 'crashed' when loading AQ7BDS8.bp. l've used a 'workaround' by renaming AQ7BDS8, XE now loads without AQTime support (and interestingly the CodeSite options have also disappeared from the tools menu). I've logged the problem with Quality Central (89645). The copy on my laptop continued to work without a problem - until this evening. It appears to load OK, but then hangs just after the splash screen closes. Wi...

Migrating to Delphi XE from Delphi 7.0
Below is my code in Delphi 7.0, this is how to call another units in webmodule... Hello All, I create a web application in Delphi 7.0, using the Web Server Application, CGI, IntraWeb 7.0.15. And I used TIWPageProducer to view like this url "http://localhost/mcr/mcr.exe/main". I built and run. I viewed in thru IIS and it is running... This is my code in Delphi 7.0 .... .... procedure TWebModule1.proMainGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmMain.Create(AWebApplication); end; procedure TWebModule1....

Migrating to Delphi XE from Delphi 7.0
Below is my code in Delphi 7.0, this is how to call another units in webmodule... Hello All, I create a web application in Delphi 7.0, using the Web Server Application, CGI, IntraWeb 7.0.15. And I used TIWPageProducer to view like this url "http://localhost/mcr/mcr.exe/main". I built and run. I viewed in thru IIS and it is running... This is my code in Delphi 7.0 .... .... procedure TWebModule1.proMainGetForm(ASender: TIWPageProducer; AWebApplication: TIWApplication; var VForm: TIWPageForm); begin VForm := TfrmMain.Create(AWebApplication); end;...

Is GNU Gettext for Delphi compatible with Delphi XE2 ?
The site http://dxgettext.po.dk declare support for Supports for Delphi 5-2009. Thanks in advance lior ilan wrote: > The site http://dxgettext.po.dk declare support for Supports for Delphi > 5-2009. > Thanks in advance It is, if you look in the forums mentioned in that website http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dxgettext/ http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dxgettext/message/3639 Regards Olivier ...

Problem with Delphi 6 to Delphi 7 upgrade
I have just purchased Delphi XE because I have an immediate need of D7 which came for free with XE. I downloaded and installed D7 and I think I applied the Update 1 that I had also downloaded. After much messing around with old components, I have finally attempted to compile my D6 project with D7. I get the following error:- [Fatal Error] apm.dpr(225): Unit ExtDlgs was compiled with a different version of ExtCtrls.TPanel I have checked the library paths all point to D7 versions of everything and now am at a loss to know what to do next. Also checked the sequence to make sure that al...

Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010 upgrade and ADO

Web resources about - Compatability problem Windows7 and ADO database acces from Delphi XE - embarcadero.delphi.non-tech

Viber update adds Ice Cream Sandwich compatability
... cross-platform VoIP app popular for its free voice calling and text messaging, has received its official upgrade for Ice Cream Sandwich-compatability, ...

Vista compatability: Still dead on arrival
A few days ago, to counter bad press about Vista, Microsoft announced the launch of the Windows Vista Compatibility Center, a web site to prove ...

Xbox One Getting A Lot More Useful With Backwards Compatability
( Alan Rappa ) When Microsoft and Sony announced their current slate of gaming consoles in 2013, neither manufacturer included backwards compatibility, ...

Rumor claims Castle Crashers and Borderlands getting Backwards Compatability
According to some images floating around on the internet this morning, Castle Crashers and Borderlands might be some of the next games getting ...

Sony: Backwards Compatability Definitely Not Coming To PS4
LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 15: President of Sony's Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images) Backwards compatibility ...

Release 1.2.0.0 - Pri v2 Compatability - SHOULD FIX CAN'T LOGIN ISSUES · PFCKrutonium/Windows-10-Log ...
Windows-10-Login-Background-Changer - Changes the Windows 10 Login Screen Background

DNA-Compatability Dating Works, Kind Of
Jezebel is gossip, culture, fashion, and sex for the contemporary woman.

Retailers Listing 40GB PS3, Backward Compatability Nixed
More evidence of the all-but-confirmed "low cost model" 40GB version of the PLAYSTATION 3 has popped up in a variety of locations, with Best ...

Nexus Q app updated for Android 2.3.3+, YouTube gains Nexus Q compatability
The Nexus Q has been one of the most elusive items of the year so far, but that doesn't stop Google from supporting it. They've updated their ...

Xbox One gets Xbox 360 backward compatability — something the PlayStation 4 doesn’t have with PS3
For all of GamesBeat's E3 2015 coverage, click here . LOS ANGELES — Microsoft announced today that it will open up backward compatibility for ...