Printer is a Printer

Is there a way to determine if a printer is really a printer and not a fax or pdf writer/creator?

Our application requires that once a button is press, we print a form and the client signs it.  We display a dialog allowing you to pick a printer, but the printer list contains, 'non-printers'.  And we do not want to show them.

I realize that this may not be possible, but I have to ask.

Edwin
1/29/2009 5:49:45 PM
embarcadero.delphi.nativeapi 1236 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Edwin,

> Is there a way to determine if a printer is really a printer and not a fax or pdf writer/creator?
>
> Our application requires that once a button is press, we print a form and the client signs it.  We display a dialog allowing you to pick a printer, but the printer list contains, 'non-printers'.  And we do not want to show them.
>
> I realize that this may not be possible, but I have to ask.

Warning: I've never done this myself.

The idea is to use DeviceCapabilities.  I suspect printers and
non-printers will return different results for some of the capabilities.
 For example: Calling DeviceCapabilities for DC_BINS or DC_BINNAMES may
return a failure for non-printers.

The risk is that an actual printer may be excluded.

You can identify FAXs with GetPrinter / PRINTER_INFO_2.

Good luck,
Brian
0
Brian

Printers Printers Printers!!
Hi All, I have two Printers installed on win2k with default set. However, I another user logs in, default changes......can I force the default printer set?? I'm also using DLU - Volitile and Zen 4. Can I force the default for that particular room each time? Examples would be of great assistance...;-) Many thanks. Using NWadmin, do a properties on the user, group, or container, and go to the NDPS Remote printer button, highlight the printer then click set as default. ...

Printer.Printers does not show all installed printers
I use this code with Delphi 2007: for I := 0 to Pred(Printer.Printers.Count) do Listbox1.items.add(Printer.Printers[I]); I have a customer that has a Xerox Phaser printer installed which is his default printer but it does not show in the list. He is using Windows 7, 64bit. Anyone have an idea as to why this might happen ? Thanks JT ...

Printer.Printers not showing all redirected client printers.
A user is having an issue in a terminal server environment in that not all the users local printers are being shown within our XE2 application, specifically a label printer called a Monarch 9825. Our application uses Printer.Printers to populate a dropdown of selectable printers. To see what was happening I created a simple test app that populated 3 lists using the Printer.Printers method, dxPrintDevice.Printers using the DevExpress suite, and EnumPrinters using PrinterInfo2. I also had 3 buttons that ran TPrinterDialog.Execute, TPrinterSetupDialog.Execute and TdxPrintDialog.Execute. Whe...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #3
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #2
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #4
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

Printer driver deleted immediately after printer driver installation by remote printer management
I have a Windows 2000 Pro SP4 with Novell Client 4.9 SP2. The printer drivers installed after the user login, but it will be deleted immediately after a meanwhile. The system event log show "Printer xxxx is pending deleted". And finally no network printer is installed on client side. I tried to add the printer driver manaually by access NDPS Controlled Printer, Windows alerted that it cannot locate the printer and cannot download the printer driver, but it can shows the printer status is "Ready" at add printer dialog. Any advice about this? Thanks. What first comes...

Printer.Printers via WebService
Hi, When I try to get the printers available in the server via webservices using Printer.Printers, it always returns 0. Anyone knows what's wrong? Using the same code with simple exe app works fine. Here's my testing code: ************************************************************* var i: integer; FList: TStrings; tes : string; begin FList:= Printer.Printers; if FList.Count > 0 then begin for i := 0 to FList.Count - 1 do begin tes:= FList.Strings[i]; OutPutDebugString(Pc...

Printer agent and off-line printers
I am having a major headache with printer agents not refreshing their status. We are almost exclusively using HP devices and the HP gateway. A printer will go off-line for some reason (paper jam, powered off, etc.) but when the printer comes back on-line, the agent remains in the "needs attention" state, still showing the printer as off-line. I have the Status Update Interval set to 15 minutes when Idle and 10 seconds when printing on the gateway configuration. Is there any way to address this without manually stopping and starting each agent? (Other than restarting th...

Printing to a printer other than the default printer
Hi : We are trying to print some reports on pre-printed stationery. At each location there is a dedicated printer that contains only the pre-printed forms. The name of the printer/print server/print queue etc is stored in the application database as part of each user's profile. We need to print only selected reports to this specific printer. All other reports should continue to be printed on the default printer. The pre-printed reports can be fairly high volume - 1-300 pages at a time. We are using PB 6.5 on windows NT and windows 95 client machines. Any suggestions, tips...

Printer driver deleted immediately after printer driver installation by remote printer management #2
I have a Windows 2000 Pro SP4 with Novell Client 4.9 SP2. The printer drivers installed after the user login, but it will be deleted immediately after a meanwhile. The system event log show "Printer xxxx is pending deleted". And finally no network printer is installed on client side. I tried to add the printer driver manaually by access NDPS Controlled Printer, Windows alerted that it cannot locate the printer and cannot download the printer driver, but it can shows the printer status is "Ready" at add printer dialog. I also tried to reinstall the Novell Cli...

Printer
Has anyone come to an issue with powerbuilder not being able to print bitmaps correctly to multifunction printer(lanier), same setup of the application works fine in HP Laser 4 series. Thanks, Ashish Added information: Powerbuilder 8.0.1 ...

Printer
I want to display the printers installed on the client machine as well as server printers on a drop down. how to do this?? I think therefore i'mvPras© Imports System.Drawing.Printing Dim impressoras As New PrinterSettings() Dim p As String For Each p In impressoras.InstalledPrinters Response.Write("<br>" & p) Next ...

Web resources about - Printer is a Printer - embarcadero.delphi.nativeapi

App Store - EPSON Printer Finder

Paragon Printers in voluntary liquidation, leaving 50 people out of work
Fyshwick's Paragon Printers is in voluntary liquidation, owing creditors more than $3 million.

Review: da Vinci Jr budget 3D printer
The da Vinci Jr makes 3D printing more affordable than ever, but it's a long way from the Star Trek replicator-style precision instrument you ...

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Brother Laser Printer $40, Nomad Apple Watch Stand $41, Samsung 48″ 4K UHDTV $500 ...
... us out on: Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: Brother compact Laser printer: ...

In the Garden of 3D Printers
... (the long tube it uses as a mouth)." Of course, a very similar experiment could have been done using handmade model flowers—not 3D printers—and ...