Delphi 7 TFontDialog and Windows 7 [Edit]

When using the TFontDialog on a Windows 7 box, it will not list the device fonts (printer fonts).  If I launch M$ Word on that same machine, Word will list them fine.

This works fine on an XP box.

Any ideas?

Edited by: Tim Muenstermann on Apr 29, 2010 9:05 AM
0
Tim
4/29/2010 4:05:39 PM
embarcadero.delphi.nativeapi 1236 articles. 1 followers. Follow

> {quote:title=Tim Muenstermann wrote:}{quote}
> When using the TFontDialog on a Windows 7 box, it will not list the device fonts (printer fonts).  If I launch M$ Word on that same machine, Word will list them fine.

What Word does (BTW, M$ went out about a decade ago) makes absolutely no difference. Office doesn't use the Windows Common Dialogs (or Controls, for that matter) for most of its' functionality, so comparing things to what Office products do is like comparing what a computer and a beanstalk can do.

> Any ideas?

Maybe a silly question, but did you remember to set TFontDialog.Device to fdBoth? (I don't have Delphi 7 installed on anything later than XP, so I can't test to see what the issue might be otherwise. I strongly suggest if you're developing for Vista or Win7 you upgrade to a more recent version of Delphi, though - you'll save yourself a lot of work and make your users much happier in the long run.)
0
Ken
4/30/2010 4:48:30 PM
> {quote:title=Ken White wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=Tim Muenstermann wrote:}{quote}
> > When using the TFontDialog on a Windows 7 box, it will not list the device fonts (printer fonts).  If I launch M$ Word on that same machine, Word will list them fine.
> >

> What Word does (BTW, M$ went out about a decade ago) makes absolutely no difference. Office doesn't use the Windows Common Dialogs (or Controls, for that matter) for most of its' functionality, so comparing things to what Office products do is like comparing what a computer and a beanstalk can do.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> Maybe a silly question, but did you remember to set TFontDialog.Device to fdBoth? (I don't have Delphi 7 installed on anything later than XP, so I can't test to see what the issue might be otherwise. I strongly suggest if you're developing for Vista or Win7 you upgrade to a more recent version of Delphi, though - you'll save yourself a lot of work and make your users much happier in the long run.)

Sorry for the M$ typo... bad habbit (from a decade ago).  Yes the dialog is set to "both".
0
Tim
5/3/2010 1:58:53 PM
Tim

>Sorry for the M$ typo... bad habbit (from a decade ago).

I wouldn't apologise - its still true today.

Roy Lambert
0
Roy
5/3/2010 3:52:32 PM
> {quote:title=Roy Lambert wrote:}{quote}
> Tim
>
> >Sorry for the M$ typo... bad habbit (from a decade ago).
>
> I wouldn't apologise - its still true today.

No, it's not, at least not in the way it was when M$ was coined.

The M$ had to do with the efforts to monopolize the computer industry. That's not the case any more, and hasn't been for years.

If you're going to accuse them now, you also have to accuse Apple for the Mac and i* product lines, Google for search engines and advertising, and so forth.

So the only ones that M$ would be true for today are the Linux fanbois that are still living in the 80's and 90's. Is that you, Roy?
0
Ken
5/4/2010 1:07:01 PM
Ken

>The M$ had to do with the efforts to monopolize the computer industry. That's not the case any more, and hasn't been for years.

Are you seriously trying to say Microsoft are NOT trying to monopolize the computer industry.

>If you're going to accuse them now, you also have to accuse Apple for the Mac and i* product lines, Google for search engines and advertising, and so forth.

Apple has always been closed. The only product of theirs I have ever owned is an iPod and that only because I was given it so I could write software to extract data and dump it on in vCard format. I did, however, have tremendous fun making an iMac "safe" for dumping.

Google, yes evil empite MkII, but they don't charge me anything. Their stuff has yet (to the best of my knowledge) to BSOD my PC.

How about Facebook?

Roy Lambert
0
Roy
5/4/2010 1:41:29 PM
> {quote:title=Roy Lambert wrote:}{quote}
> Are you seriously trying to say Microsoft are NOT trying to monopolize the computer industry.

Yes. They tried at one time, but aren't any longer. If they were, they wouldn't be giving away VS, open sourcing some of their product line, submitting .NET stuff to ECMA for other input, and so forth.

I'm not saying they're not trying to increase their sales and revenue; that's simply good business. Trying to monopolize means using unfair practices to stifle competition, and they're not doing that any longer. If you think they are, you need a refresher on modern computing and the current state of the software industry.

> Apple has always been closed. The only product of theirs I have ever owned is an iPod and that only because I was given it so I could write software to extract data and dump it on in vCard format. I did, however, have tremendous fun making an iMac "safe" for dumping.

Apple just became more closed with the changes they're making to the iPhone OS 4 licensing agreement, where they're dictating what languages you can use to develop and how you can distribute your software. That's an effort to monopolize the portable device industry. If they were just trying to compete, they'd be encouraging more people to develop for their product lines by doing exactly what MS is doing - helping people write more applications that utilize those products and encouraging distribution of th
ose applications.

> Google, yes evil empite MkII, but they don't charge me anything. Their stuff has yet (to the best of my knowledge) to BSOD my PC.

You obviously know nothing about Google, either. They charge for ads placed so that companies can be found (and sell their goods/services). They're the only real game in town for getting your name out to consumers via web searches. That's a monopoly if MS is (which neither MS or Google is, which is my entire point).

You really need to get current. You're living in the past, if you can't see the changes in the past decade that have made MS not a monopolistic evil empire; now they're just a major factor in a highly competitive industry (which is the exact OPPOSITE of having a monopoly, BTW).

> How about Facebook?

What about Facebook? They're no more a monopoly than MS or Google, either, unless you've never heard of things like MySpace and Twitter. Are those news to you as well?
0
Ken
5/4/2010 3:33:41 PM
Ken

>Trying to monopolize means using unfair practices to stifle competition, and they're not doing that any longer. If you think they are, you need a refresher on modern computing and the current state of the software industry.

Fair enough. I accept that we are living in similar but different universes, or possibly I've been ingesting hallucinogenic substances <g>

Seriously Ken if you think Microsoft have ceased unfair practices you really need to read more, or different, newspapers.

>> Apple has always been closed. The only product of theirs I have ever owned is an iPod and that only because I was given it so I could write software to extract data and dump it on in vCard format. I did, however, have tremendous fun making an iMac "safe" for dumping.
>>

>Apple just became more closed with the changes they're making to the iPhone OS 4 licensing agreement, where they're dictating what languages you can use to develop and how you can distribute your software. That's an effort to monopolize the portable device industry. If they were just trying to compete, they'd be encouraging more people to develop for their product lines by doing exactly what MS is doing - helping people write more applications that utilize those products and encouraging distribution of t
hose applications.

Hmmm. I wonder what percentage of the mobile device market Apple own? A bit old but a quick Google gives me

<<Released on Wednesday, the newest data from Gartner shows that Apple's share of worldwide smartphone sales grew from 5.3 percent in the first quarter of 2008 to 10.8 percent in the first quarter of 2009. In terms of unit sales, Apple jumped from 1.7 million in the first quarter of 2008 to 3.9 million during the same period in 2009. >>

Microsoft still have 85%+ of the desktop market.

>> Google, yes evil empite MkII, but they don't charge me anything. Their stuff has yet (to the best of my knowledge) to BSOD my PC.
>>

>You obviously know nothing about Google, either. They charge for ads placed so that companies can be found (and sell their goods/services). They're the only real game in town for getting your name out to consumers via web searches. That's a monopoly if MS is (which neither MS or Google is, which is my entire point).

Get real. I said "but they don't charge me anything" Weirdly enough, even in my universe I know Google's revenues are ad based. The only stats I can find easily relate to the number of searches and there Google is 90%+ I have no idea of the ad spend on Google vs TV vs papers. I also don't read the ads on Google.

>You really need to get current. You're living in the past, if you can't see the changes in the past decade that have made MS not a monopolistic evil empire; now they're just a major factor in a highly competitive industry (which is the exact OPPOSITE of having a monopoly, BTW).

You mean the attempts of various governments legal system to prevent Microsoft's unfair business practices? Most of which haven't really worked.

>> How about Facebook?
>
>What about Facebook? They're no more a monopoly than MS or Google, either, unless you've never heard of things like MySpace and Twitter. Are those news to you as well?

Nope just never use them. I just thought I'd throw it in and see if you were on their payroll as well.

Roy Lambert
0
Roy
5/4/2010 5:18:18 PM
Guys, this group is for tech issues, not arguing about who is most
evil.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/

Lock Time Out
A D7 BDE/Paradox application that has been problem free on a W2k platform has started throwing "Lock time out" errors having been moved to a Windows 7 platform. Multiple instances of a front end application run on workstations in a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain, with the database hosted on a shared folder on the server. The applications run OK interactively and only appear to raise the "Lock time out" error if left unattended overnight when all instances apepar to hit the same problem at some point. "Lock time out" is clearly a prevalent problem judging ...

Delphi 7 won't start up anymore on Windows 7 (except in Windows safe mode) [Edit]
I'm using Delphi 7 PE under Windows 7 Home Edition. Since four days Delphi will not start anymore. When I start, I see an entry "delph32.exe" in the Windows Task Manager (process tab, not application tab) but this will disappear sillently after some seconds. No error or warning message is given. I tried several things already, after searching the internet for a solution: - start delphi in comptability mode - start delphi as administrator - give full right on the installation directory of delphi - disable UAC - restore windows to the previous restore point None of ...

Windows 7 ... Delphi 7
The new Windows 7 reminds me very strong of Delphi 7 ... a good feeling! > {quote:title=Ralf Stocker wrote:}{quote} > The new Windows 7 reminds me very strong of Delphi 7 ... a good feeling! Me too, from what I've heard so far. They are releasing it as a public beta tommorrow (the first 2.5 million in line only): Windows 7 page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ Information on Downloading and Installing Windows 7 Beta http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/01/07/information-on-downloading-and-installing-windows-7-beta.aspx How to Get in on th...

Delphi 7 & Windows 7
win7 also have language problems. I used to fix the code below. But it did not work. I tried to indicate in the images. Thanks for your help. // initialization SetThreadLocale(LANG_TURKISH); GetFormatSettings; // [url=www.resimupload.com/ds144165673_screenhunter_01may.html][img=http://pic1.resimupload.com/r3/thumb_144165673.jpg[/url] [url=www.resimupload.com/ds116050513_screenhunter_02may.html][img=http://pic1.resimupload.com/r7/thumb_116050513.jpg[/url] [url=www.resimupload.com/ds501028062_screenhunter_03may.html][img=http://pic1.resimupload.com/r8/thumb_501028062.jpg[/url] ...

Delphi 7 & Windows 7
win7 also have language problems. I used to fix the code below. But it did not work. I tried to indicate in the images. Thanks for your help. // initialization SetThreadLocale(LANG_TURKISH); GetFormatSettings; // http://www.resimupload.com/ds144165673_screenhunter_01may.html http://www.resimupload.com/ds116050513_screenhunter_02may.html http://www.resimupload.com/ds501028062_screenhunter_03may.html Edited by: Mesut Yaz�l�m User on May 14, 2010 3:26 AM I suspect the TDateTimePicker component was initialized before the launch of the code overriding the current date ant time. U...

Using Delphi 7 in Windows 7
I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7. I have Delphi 7 working to some extent - it will open my projects and display my units and allow me to edit the code then compiles the *.exe file - BUT it will not display my forms. View/Forms - shows the list of forms and will open the associated unit but neither this nor F12 will display the form itself. Consequently I am unable to edit the form itself or its properties. Any ideas about what might be preventing these from displaying? > {quote:title=Ian BASIRE wrote:}{quote} > I have recently upgraded my system to Windows 7. I h...

Reinstall Delphi 7 on Windows 7?
My projects work fine in Delphi 7 on my old XP machine so the problems I am now experiencing under Windows 7 must be due to the Delphi set-up in Windows 7. I have attempted to reinstall this - after entering my serial number and authorization code the installer bombs out with the error "1311 file not found C:\Program Files\Borland\DELPHI~1.cab ...." certainly this file does not exist but nor does it exist on the XP machine. I downloaded the original Delphi from the old Borland site which is now not avai lable. Does anyone know what this *.cab file is all about or how I can get new...

Delphi 7 + Windows 7 = No Help
Okay, so has anyone figured a solution to this problem yet? Delphi 7 uses winhelp for it's help system and Windows 7 does not include winhelp. The problem: Although Vista has a winhelp download, Windows 7 does not, and the Vista winhelp download will not install on Windows 7. The solution: Waiting to find out. Anthony Walter wrote: > The solution: Waiting to find out. It was released about a half an hour ago for download... :-) http://tinyurl.com/yz6s397 Mark > {quote:title=Anthony Walter wrote:}{quote} > Okay, so has anyone figured a solution to this pro...

Delphi 7 and Windows 7 x64
I have a number of applications that cannot be migrated from Delphi 7 because of third party components. Is it possible to run Delphi 7 on Winows 7 or is it necessary to use VMWare? Will programs compiled with Delphi 7 run on Windows 7? Tom Thomas Hahn wrote: > I have a number of applications that cannot be migrated from Delphi 7 > because of third party components. Is it possible to run Delphi 7 on > Winows 7 or is it necessary to use VMWare? Will programs compiled > with Delphi 7 run on Windows 7? It run OK, you must have admin rights to install Cesar Rom...

Problem with viewing Windows SDK help files from Delphi 7 under Windows 7
Hi, I recently installed Delphi 7 on a Windows 8 machine putting it into a non-system folder. When I found that it wasn't displaying (Delphi) help files I downloaded and installed WinHlp32.exe from the MS website http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=91 and this solved the problem. But when I try to view the Windows SDK by selecting the appropriate menu item under the IDE Help menu I get the Winhelp runtime error message "Microsoft Help has stopped working". Can anyone suggest what needs to be done to be able to view the Windows SDK files that sh...

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Delphi 7, Upgrade Path, Windows 7
I have a large number of programs that were created with Delphi 7 and are difficult to upgrade because of third part components. I have several questions that others who have faced a similar problem may be able to answer. (I do not yet have a Windows 7 to answer some of these questions.) 1. Will Delphi 7 programs run under Windows 7x32 and 7x64? 2. Will Delphi 7 run under Windows 7x32 and 7x64? 3. If upgrading, what version of Delphi is the best path? Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Tom Thomas Hahn wrote: > I have a large number of programs that were created wit...

Delphi 7 on microsoft windows 7 64bit.
Hi, I am running delphi 7 on xp box, but we are planning to upgrade to windows 7 64bit. 1) does delphi 7 installation works on windows 7 64bit. 2) Any problem running Delphi 7 IDE on 64bit. 3) Any other problem on 654bit. We have about 100+ apps on delphi 7 and we do not want to upgrade delphi... any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks Samir On 29.6.2010 17:07, samir patel wrote: > Hi, > > I am running delphi 7 on xp box, but we are planning to upgrade to windows 7 64bit. > > 1) does delphi 7 installation works on windows 7 64bit. > 2) Any prob...

I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, after i bought delphi 7
I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? "I embezzled some money from my employer, returned the funds, and then got it back as a bonus. Can I still be arrested?" Uhhh .... didn't you just confess to a crime? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an appli...

Web resources about - Delphi 7 TFontDialog and Windows 7 [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.nativeapi