Iphone monotouch client <-> Delphi 2010 datasnap server

So,

Monotouch has been released and it is now simpler to get into making iphone apps (and soon also android apps).

But what is the easiest way to tie an monotouch developed iphone client to a delphi 2010 datasnap server? Any ideas?

Rant: "Monotouch" should have been a delphi tool. Then it would have flown of the shelves! But noooo. Not even in the next version is such fat clients and native compiled enviroments catered for. Instead there are talks about linux, mac os, etc. *sigh*
0
Tim
9/16/2009 2:11:19 PM
embarcadero.delphi.multi-tier 396 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Rants are not productive and kill one's desire to be helpful.  Fortunately, I decided to ignore the rant.  :)

I'd take a look at connecting to DataSnap (2009/dbExpress) from Prism for some insight on doing the same from monotouch.

I know there are people developing apps for mono using Prism.  (I don't know how successful they are. :) )  So the two possibilities I can think of would be to use Prism to build an app for monotouch, or use C# and the dbExpress providers from Prism.

I know very little about .NET, and even less about mono, so all I can do is point you towards other resources.  Here are some CodeRage replays that demonstrate using DataSnap in .NET, via Prism:

DataSnap Tooling
This session demonstrates the tooling in Delphi and Delphi Prism for developing DataSnap servers and clients. Topics include wizards, proxy generators, data explorer, and server explorer.  http://cc.embarcadero.com/download.aspx?id=27287

Connecting to Blackfish SQL, InterBase and DataSnap with Delphi Prism
The session demonstrates the tools that can be used to work with tables, views, stored procedures and DataSnap server methods. Topics include connection dialogs, Server Explorer, Query Window and SQL Window.  http://cc.codegear.com/Download.aspx?id=26394

ASP.NET Database Application Development with Delphi Prism
This session demonstrates some of the tools, components, and designers that can be used to build ASP.NET database applications. Topics include GridView, SqlDataSource, ObjectDataSource, InterBase and DataSnap.  http://cc.codegear.com/Download.aspx?id=26433

Exploring DataSnap with Delphi 2009 (Win32) and Delphi Prism (.NET)
In this session, we will demonstrate how we can use DataSnap to build COM-less multi-tier applications using Delphi 2009 on the Win32 server side and Delphi 2009 as well as Delphi Prism on the (Win32 and .NET) client side. This session will go beyond the simple DataSnap demos that we’ve seen in the webinars and will also cover updates to datasets and deployment details.  http://cc.codegear.com/Download.aspx?id=26458

CodeRage session information copied from http://conferences.embarcadero.com/coderage/sessions and http://conferences.embarcadero.com/coderage/article/38874
0
Anonymous
9/16/2009 2:50:49 PM
Thank you for the answer ;)

I actually have a prism 2009 somewhere that I can loook into. I'll see what I can find.

If nothing else, I suppose I can use .net to create a IIS driven SOAP service that the monotouch libs are able to consume.
0
Tim

ANN: DataSnap-like Client-Server JSON RESTful Services in Delphi 7-2010 [Edit]
How to implement a very useful service... say... adding two numbers? In our framework, you code Server-Side: {code} function TSQLRestServerTest.Sum(aRecord: TSQLRecord; aParameters: PUTF8Char; const aSentData: RawUTF8; var aResp, aHead: RawUTF8): Integer; var a,b: Extended; begin if not UrlDecodeNeedParameters(aParameters,'A,B') then begin result := 404; // invalid Request exit; end; while aParameters<>nil do begin UrlDecodeExtended(aParameters,'A=',a); UrlDecodeExtended(aParameters,'B=',b,@aParameters); end; aRes...

Messy Help Conversion: Delphi 5-->Delphi 2010 + Winhelp-->HTMLHelp
Hoping someone can give me guidance on this Help problem... I am a tech writer (not a programmer). We have an old Windows App that was created in Delphi 5. The app used Winhelp, which was authored in RoboHelp for Word. The help included context sensitive topics using mapping IDs. So now we have upgraded to Delphi 2010. And I have converted to Microsoft HTMLHelp, using RoboHelp. That is, instead of an .HLP file, we now have a .CHM file. What do the developer's need to reconfigure in Delphi? They have been able to get the new .CHM file to open with the app, but the help windo...

Delphi 2009 Datasnap server and client
Hello, I am trying develop Datasnap server and client. I have a type TStringArray = array of string;. I used this type in one of server method. When I am trying to Generate Datasnap Client classes it says 'Remote error:Unknow data type: TStringArray'. How can I register this data type? -- Best Regards Md. Shariful Alam Khan Hello, Isn't there anyone to answer my question? Also I am getting same error if I use TStrings or TWideStringArray. Best Regards Md. Shariful Alam Khan "Md. Shariful Alam Khan" <murad_mouri@yahoo.com> wrote in messag...

Delphi 2010 DataSnap with multiple server modules
Hi, We're going to upgrade the multi-tier project from Delphi 2007 to 2010 using DataSnap. That is, we will convert the Remote Data modules to DataSnap server modules. Previously (in D2007) we shared one ADO connection between the remote data modules, I've managed to share the ADO connection between the DataSnap server modules. It (APP Server) "seems" work fine, however, some colleague mentioned that ADO is not thread safe. If that's the case, is there any easy way to verify the issue? BTW, to keep the minimal changes to the existing remote data modules, we h...

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

Delphi 2010 RTTI for On<Event> properties
Hello, Firstly I'm posting this in "Non-Technical" because I don't know which forum category best suits it (would be nice to know this for future reference) Basically my problem is this: I'm working on a project where it is necessary to be able to access RTTI information for On<Event> properties (where <Event> = the name of the Event such as "OnClick" etc.). Delphi 2010's wonderful RTTI system allows me to get the Base Type name (and QualifiedName) data for these property types, but I need to access more in depth information as explained bel...

Blob Field through DataSnap Client/Server Delphi 2009
I can't pass Blob Field through DataSnap Client/Server Delphi 2009, when I try to Open the TSqlServerMethod this says Remote Error: unexpected metadata type, but, that only when the Table or Query have Blob fields. > {quote:title=ALEXANDER DAVID CRUZ MARQUEZ wrote:}{quote} > I can't pass Blob Field through DataSnap Client/Server Delphi 2009, when I try to Open the TSqlServerMethod this says Remote Error: unexpected metadata type, but, that only when the Table or Query have Blob fields. Hi. I have exactly the same problem. Seems it's not a just an error but it's a D...

Delphi XE2 DataSnap Server
I'm building an XE2 DataSnap server which will serve connections from REST clients. My DSServerClass LifeCycle property is set to 'Invocation'. What I want to do is to log the details of all client connections to the server, including the following details : username, IP address, protocol, application name. I can currently get these details using the following events : DSAuthenticationManager - UserAuthenticate() : username, protocol (using the standard parameters passed in) DSServer - Connect() : protocol, IP address, application name (using DSConnectEventObject.ChannelInf...

Upgrading Delphi 7 Datasnap to XE: client fails to connect to server [Edit]
Hi, I'm currently working on upgrading a codebase from Delphi 7 to XE, and am currently just trying to get an older school Datasnap application working under XE. For reference: I'm developing/testing on Windows 7 64bit and currently using Delphi XE. The client application connects to the app server via a socket connection currently, and thus uses Borland Socket server, which includes using a registered "Interceptor" which does data compression/decompression. Now the problem: Currently I'm running into a problem trying to get the client to actually talk to t...

Example for "Delphi 2010 RTTI for On<Event> properties"
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_30477.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" This is an example for "Delphi 2010 RTTI for On<Event> properties" in .delphi.non-technical https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?messageID=197671&tstart=0#197671 Message-ID: <199071@forums.codegear.com> -- Uwe --JivePart=_30477.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl-- ...

<abc:Control>NESTED TEXT AND CONTROLS <asp:TextBox runat="server"></asp:TextBox> </abc:Control>
Hey everyone,I'm trying to make a custom control that supports nested controls inside. Right now my control already supports literal content but for some reason it wont accept server controls. When I try to run the code it returns an error saying:Control 'nestedControl' of type 'TextBox' must be placed inside a form tag with runat=server. _ctl0' is actually the text box control inside my Customer Control (as shown in the example at the bottom of this post). It appears as though it doesn't inherit the server form from its parent control. I've been searching all over for a way to do thi...

I just got a warning from Norton that "PamelaSetup-Basic.exe" has a virus in it. The name is "VirusBurst" Luckily, I did not install this software and Norton's quarantined it so I could delte it, which I have done. Symantec has not completed analysis of this particular piece of garbage but it did catch the sig. If you have installed Pamela, you may be in trouble. Duffy wrote: > I just got a warning from Norton that "PamelaSetup-Basic.exe" has a virus > in it. The name is "VirusBurst" > > Luckily, I did not install...

Web resources about - Iphone monotouch client <-> Delphi 2010 datasnap server - embarcadero.delphi.multi-tier

MonoTouch - Create amazing iPhone and iPad apps with C# and .NET
Everything you love about .NET, including LINQ, Delegates and Events.

monotouch 1.0
Read all 'monotouch 1.0' posts on .

Xamarin Climbs To MonoTouch 5.2 Release
New testing framework, memory profiler, and rapid UI creation library for iPhone and iPad development

Xamarin Delivers iOS 6 Support in New MonoTouch Release
Xamarin has updated its MonoTouch cross-platform application development tool to support Apples new iOS 6 platform. - Xamarin, a maker of cross-platform ...

Herding Code 148 – Chris Hardy on Xamarin, MonoTouch and Mono For Android
Here’s the last of K. Scott and Jon’s interviews from NDC Oslo 2012: a conversation with Chris Hardy about Xamarin, MonoTouch, Mono For Android, ...

Xamarin - LinkedIn
Welcome to the company profile of Xamarin on LinkedIn. Xamarin was founded in 2011 with the mission to make it fast, easy and fun to build great ...

Mono (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mono is a free and open source project led by Xamarin (formerly by Novell and originally by Ximian ) to create an Ecma standard compliant .NET ...

Netcoders - Biz
A blog written by two danish iphone / asp.net developers

What I Learned After 3 Weeks of Writing Mobile Apps
... Fire SDK which only supports games, I focused on learning as much as I could about Android development options . The Xamarin guys have MonoTouch ...

Apple 4.0 and Titanium
A developer-focused blog for Appcelerator Titanium developers