Service application hangs after ending prior sessions

I have a service application developed in IW 8.022 under Delphi BDS
2006.  It's been running smoothly (thousands of client connections, no
need to restart for months at a time) for a couple of years, but
recently the back-end MS SQL server was brought from 2000 to 2005, and
the server is now running Windows Server 2008.  Now the application
hangs after the destruction of a usersession.

Whether as a service or standalone, I can get the application running,
and launch multiple usersessions that work fine.  I can log off
(closing the ADO connection to the SQL server) and create new sessions
with no problem, whether or not I close the browser between
connections.

However, a few minutes later when (I presume) the webapplication times
out, the application becomes unresponsive.  This is true whether I have
created one or a half-dozen sessions.  Each calls its destructor, but
after the first one does so I am unable to connect.

I am hoping this rings a familiar bell for someone.  If not, I can try
to pare down to a test app, but I'm hoping that someone will recognize
this symptom.

Thanks,

-- Stuart
0
Stuart
9/15/2008 12:45:56 AM
embarcadero.delphi.intraweb 3901 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Stuart Ray submitted this idea :
> the server is now running Windows Server 2008.  Now the application
> hangs after the destruction of a usersession.

> However, a few minutes later when (I presume) the webapplication times
> out, the application becomes unresponsive.  This is true whether I have
> created one or a half-dozen sessions.  Each calls its destructor, but
> after the first one does so I am unable to connect.

Problem solved by removing CodeSite logging calls from the destructor
of the datamodule and usersession.

When the migration to SQL2005 and Win2008 occurred, the app stopped
working and I used the additional log entries to solve that problem.
They, however, created the new problem I described.

Any sense whether this is CodeSite-specific, or a problem with doing
stuff in the usersession/datamodule destructors?  Odd that I did not
see an exception thrown, even when running as standalone from the IDE.

Anyway, I'm up and running again, and have to get back to the 10,000
things this made me neglect.

-- Stuart
0
Stuart
9/15/2008 10:45:59 PM
Could it have been intercepting the exceptions?

--
Chad Z. Hower a.k.a. Kudzu
http://www.KudzuWorld.com
"Stuart Ray" <stu.ray@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Stuart Ray submitted this idea :
>> the server is now running Windows Server 2008.  Now the application
>> hangs after the destruction of a usersession.

>> However, a few minutes later when (I presume) the webapplication times
>> out, the application becomes unresponsive.  This is true whether I have
>> created one or a half-dozen sessions.  Each calls its destructor, but
>> after the first one does so I am unable to connect.

> Problem solved by removing CodeSite logging calls from the destructor
> of the datamodule and usersession.
>
> When the migration to SQL2005 and Win2008 occurred, the app stopped
> working and I used the additional log entries to solve that problem.
> They, however, created the new problem I described.
>
> Any sense whether this is CodeSite-specific, or a problem with doing
> stuff in the usersession/datamodule destructors?  Odd that I did not
> see an exception thrown, even when running as standalone from the IDE.
>
> Anyway, I'm up and running again, and have to get back to the 10,000
> things this made me neglect.
>
> -- Stuart
0
Chad
9/18/2008 10:55:55 PM
Chad Hower presented the following explanation :
> Could it have been intercepting the exceptions?
>
> --
> Chad Z. Hower a.k.a. Kudzu
> http://www.KudzuWorld.com
> "Programming is an art form that fights back"

Not in any way that I know of - no try..except blocks or anything like
that.  Just simple calls [e.g. CodeSite.SendMsg('Destroying
UserSession...');].  Each one of those was getting to the logs, by the
way, so I don't suspect they were generating exceptions, either.

In any event, the app has been running flawlessly for the past 3 days
(since I removed those calls), handling plenty of traffic.  Some day I
may go back and try to figure out what in a destructor will break IW.

It's great to have you back on the IW ng's, Chad.

-- Stuart
0
Stuart
9/19/2008 2:10:54 AM
> It's great to have you back on the IW ng's, Chad.

Thanks.  Its nice to be remembered. :)

--
Chad Z. Hower a.k.a. Kudzu
http://www.KudzuWorld.com

Service Application in Delphi
Hi, I made my first ‘service application’ in Delphi yesterday, installed it as a service and it works fine. However I notice there are very limited components, no listboxes etc… with this type of project. I need my service app to regularly check the contents of a folder for files .txt, if any exist, it will load them and then do something with the contents. I’ve added a timer to my project and that does what it’s supposed to, but not sure how to do the rest. Normally I’d add a listbox, add code to list the folder’s contents and put the filenames into the listbox. I would then have a f...

Service application
Hi, When my service application is stopped it needs sometime more time than expected to perfom some cleanup tasks that must not be interrupted. In this case, about 30s after having typed "net stop <service name>" Windows just give up, saying the service "could not be controlled in its present state." Most of the time, the service is stopped from within a batch file to perform some backup tasks, and the server shutdown cleanup tasks needs to be completed to backup a valid state. So I really want "net stop" to return sychronously even if t...

Installing Intraweb Application as a service
I have an Intraweb application that runs fine as a standalone application but cannot get it to install as a service since moving to Intraweb XI. APPNAME -INSTALL or APPNAME /INSTALL. I have tried building in both the old way (using iwRun) and the new way TIWStart.Execute(False); When running APPNAME -INSTALL at the command prompt it instantly returns to ther command prompt without installing as a service. I know it runs because in TIWServerController.IWServerControllerBaseCreate I create an INI file the first time it runs, and this is created successfully, before it drops out without install...

Deploy IntraWeb Application as a Service
How can I access to installed IntraWeb Service application? I mean how to use this application (service applicaion)? thanks. Edited by: Mohammad Khorsandi on Sep 28, 2008 3:52 AM Mohammad Khorsandi presented the following explanation : > How can I access to installed IntraWeb Service application? I mean how to use > this application (service applicaion)? thanks. > > Edited by: Mohammad Khorsandi on Sep 28, 2008 3:52 AM You'll probably get better answers than this one, but if your service is listening on port 8080 (this is a setting in the ServerController), an...

Application as Service is an advanced system utility which lets you run any application as Windows 2000/XP/2003 Service at system boot. Specify application priority, run your program without the need
Application as Service is an advanced system utility which lets you run any application as Windows 2000/XP/2003 Service. You can easily configure Application as Service using its intuitive GUI interface or command line configurator directly from your software. Application as Service features very low CPU usage, custom environment variables, monitoring and detailed logging as well as many other features. You can use Application as Service software to: Launch any application as Windows 2000/XP/2003 service at system boot, before user logon; Automatically start applications before and after ser...

Pass a session between Intraweb apps / services
Hi, Has anyone tried to pass user sessions between different IW Apps? I have a related set of apps that I'd like to allow users to flow into without having to authenticate again... I also prefer not to rely on cookies. Any ideas? A more concrete example is a login app which handles authentication that then allows the user to flow into a management app, accounting app, hr app, etc... based on their security criteria. Thanks! John Since sessions are tied to the IW App a better way might be a shared authentication context ...... I wonder if you could accomplish this by mana...

Session information persisting after an application ends
Is it possible that an InProc session is still persisting after the application end?I have a bug on my production server where the login name of application B which is stored in a session called "StaffName" is overwritten. To elaborate,1 of my application which after the user logs in (session "StaffName" is used to store the log in name after logging in), it will print out the login name which is stored in a session "StaffName".Occasionally,"StaffName" is printed out as "XXX Workshop" or "XXX store" which is an invalid login name...

Kill Session Variable When Application Ends... :-?
Hopefully someone can help! We're miffed to understand what we're doing wrong... I’ve been round and round with this issue and have yet to come up with a satisfactory solution. Basically what I need is to set a session variable when a pop-up window is launched and subsequently kill that variable when the page closes. I want to disable the link that launched the window then enable that link once the window is closed. The simple solution of disabling the link client side (onload=”window.opener.linkID.style.disabled=true;”) and enabling it when the pop-up closes (onunload=”window.opener.l...

Combined Delphi forms application and Intraweb
Is it possible to combine a standard Delphi application with Intraweb? How can I then send information to the Delphi form? E.g call the follwing from Intraweb: {code} procedure TIWForm2.IWButton1AsyncExit(Sender: TObject; EventParams: TStringList); begin form1.Label1.Caption := timetostr(now); end; {code} Regards Tom You can create a VCL form, and manage it the way you like, but of course, you will not be able to view it. Sometimes this is needed when you require certain functions from a VCL. > {quote:title=Mohamed Hammady wrote:}{quote} > You can create a VCL...

Remove item from Application on session end?
Hello, I have a usercontrol that stores the e-mail of the logged-in user and the page he is currently viewing I add the user like this: Application(Trim(Session.Item("siteUser"))) = Request.RawUrl Is there a way to remove the users after the 20 minutes of inactivity have past? Thank you Hi ya, i could suggest you two ways of doing this:1) in case you insist on using the application object you could add a code to the event handler of Session_End event in the global.asax file and in this code to remove that data from the application object2) you could just simply use the Session ob...

Simple reply from an Intraweb handler to a delphi application
Hi, I am trying to make a simple intranet handler that can service a delphi program. Goal: to call an Intraweb SA application by using indy og ip*works HTTP components, and return a simple string. e.g. It could be returning the number of new records in a database. The Intraweb should do the following: accept the incomming URL request (to a handler?), create a string and return it to the caller and then kill the session. It seems quite simple, but I cannot get it to fly. I have implemented the "GiveMeSomeXML" handler example, but when I try to call the URL I get an unexpect...

Web Service, Web Application, and Sessions oh my!
Hi,I'm having a bit of a problem that I was hoping one of you might be able to help me with.I have a Web Service that requires a user to be authenticated.  I am currently receiving the username and password and using forms authentication once I check against our database. FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie()I store the cookiecontainer and then on following trips set the new proxy instance's cookiecontainer to the saved one and I can call methods.This works fine and dandy from a windows app, or testing from the browser, however here is the problem.When I connect from my web application's ...

How to maintain session+application state over web services?
Hi guys, Prototyping .NET system for our corporation and ran into an issue. I'm sure there's a solution. We currently have a VB6 client, and can't change that in the immediate future (trust me). Plan is, however, to introduce .NET web services as the middle tier and keep the interface (just acquire data differently). Now here's the thing - I need to maintain application state and session state objects on the server (for data caching and identification purposes). But I can't make a web application because we need it to talk to the VB6 client. (DHTML user interface is no...

Delphi 2010 Application hangs during UDP operation
Hello, I created a program in Delphi 2010 that communicates with another machine via UDP. I am using the Indy UDPServer and UDPClient components. I have 6 ports that I an binding to (4 with UDPServer and 2 with Client). When I run the program in debug mode, after a few minutes the program hangs. I set the madExcept timeout for a frozen main thread to 20 seconds and the exception window popped up saying that the main thread was frozen. The bug report shows the following status for each thread: Main thread: NT Delay Execution TIdListenerThread #1: NT Wait For Single Object TIdListenerT...

Web resources about - Service application hangs after ending prior sessions - embarcadero.delphi.intraweb

Application developers struggle to adapt to changing licensing models
Application producers are aware of rapid change impacting their ability to make money from their software products, but they're not adopting ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Slightly Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 0.2 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

LED market saturation to drive industry to seek profits in new applications in 2016, says LEDinside
According to LEDinside, LED makers had an especially tough year in 2015. "Despite rising LED lighting market demand and the large scale replacement ...