Delphi 7 app to web app conversion [Edit]

My company has an old Windows engineering application that we would like to convert to a web application so that we can offer it as a software as a service. The application is written primarily in Delphi 7 with the heavy number crunching done in Fortran (I did say it was old!).  We would like to reuse as much of the existing Delphi code as possible and only modify the Fortran enough so that it will run in the background on the web server.

We have never developed a web application so we're looking for guidance on the best way to make this conversion.

Our questions at this point:

1.  Is it realistic to expect that we will be able to reuse most of our Delphi 7 code?

2.  We have about 60 forms in our application.  What level of effort should we expect for an experienced Delphi programmer to make the conversion?  Days?  Weeks?  Months?

3.  Judging by the amount of activity in this forum it appears that many of you are successfully using IntraWeb for web application development.  What are the strengths and weaknesses of IntraWeb?  Should we consider other frameworks like Morfik, Raudus and WebHub?

The website for our application is  [here|http://www.cablecad.com]  if you're interested.

Edited by: Terry Shimabukuro on Dec 14, 2011 5:13 PM
0
Terry
12/15/2011 1:14:54 AM
embarcadero.delphi.intraweb 3901 articles. 1 followers. Follow

unigui
0
hxh
12/15/2011 4:41:04 AM
<Terry Shimabukuro> schreef in bericht news:428977@forums.embarcadero.com...
> My company has an old Windows engineering application that we would like
> to convert to a web application so that we can offer it as a software as a
> service. The application is written primarily in Delphi 7 with the heavy
> number crunching done in Fortran (I did say it was old!).  We would like
> to reuse as much of the existing Delphi code as possible and only modify
> the Fortran enough so that it will run in the background on the web
> server.
>
> We have never developed a web application so we're looking for guidance on
> the best way to make this conversion.
>
> Our questions at this point:
>
> 1.  Is it realistic to expect that we will be able to reuse most of our
> Delphi 7 code?
>
> 2.  We have about 60 forms in our application.  What level of effort
> should we expect for an experienced Delphi programmer to make the
> conversion?  Days?  Weeks?  Months?
>
> 3.  Judging by the amount of activity in this forum it appears that many
> of you are successfully using IntraWeb for web application development.
> What are the strengths and weaknesses of IntraWeb?  Should we consider
> other frameworks like Morfik, Raudus and WebHub?

I have coverted a D6 app to DXE and then to DXE+IW.
The app was already heavy in html output (using Thtml -  a sort of native
webBrowser), had a dozen primary windows plus some support windows, no
database but immense in-core tables and very heavy number crunching.
1. A big issue in moving to a web app is the implicit move from single user
to multi-user. IW allows you to isolate all session variables but that may
not be what you want. For instance, duplicating the tables was not an option
my case. So they have to be multi-user / thread safe.
2. You can keep the UI more or less as-is but all forms need to be
re-developed with IW components. Most of the event handling code can be
re-used, except for one major complication: you don't have modal forms in a
web-app (which will be a complication when transforming user input modules)
and it is not trivial to have support windows without bothering the user
with browser warnings or pop-up de-blocking. There are some complications
when using form inheritance. This is all ill documented. You will find out.
3. IW's state of technology is great and it fits Delphi like a glove but
AtoZed's organisational state is mediocre. Bug-fixes are regular but will
fix only part of the bugs and introduce new ones. Documentation is lacking.
Best to avoid the latest version, stick with IW11 and work around the still
remaining bugs.
4. My conversion from XE to XE+IW took me four months or so plus another
half year to work around the remaining IW bugs. But these only came out
through user feed-back. The conversion from D6 to DXE was pretty trivial.
5. I have no experience with other web-dev tools. A decade ago I used
web-broker and the likes. IW is uncomparable. You more or less think
traditional Delphi and IW does all the translation for the web for you.
Tom
1
Tom

How do You Write a Web App that Looks like Your Delphi App
Hi I have written an application that I would like to port into a web application. What is the best language to choose. For example php, Ruby on Rails or some other language.. Thank you. > {quote:title=Peter Skinner wrote:}{quote} > Hi > > I have written an application that I would like to port into a web application. What is the best language to choose. > > For example php, Ruby on Rails or some other language.. > > Thank you. Here's something you can try with very little investment of time, which is to auto-convert your existing app's m...

How to Change Tablet App to Phone app in Delphi XE8? [Edit]
Hi, i've created an app more specifically for tablets. So if the screen is smaller than 7 inch not everything fits. I do work with layouts and Align properties so everything gets scaled accordingly to the screen size. I know a few options to make the app useable for phones ass well. But not sure what the best way is. Option1: Create multiple Views for each size screen. Option2: Use ScaledLayout to make everything smaller or bigger. Option3: Use scrollBox. Option4: Edit component sizes in FormCreate after checking screen size. Option5: Devide in more Forms. *So what&...

Migrating a VCL Delphi 7 app to the web.
Hello all. Please forgive me if this topic has been discussed recently. I just couldn't find anything related in the last few hours. We have a VCL-MDI client-server application developed since delphi 2, and now ported to delphi 7. It has a separation between the data layer, business layer and UI layer (more-less strict). It is now running on a FireBird 1.5 database. What are the best options you know in order to make it a web application? I hope it's not too vague this question. I'm not THE expert, as you can see. Any help will be greatly appreciated. (Pointing to r...

How to build enterprise-grade Delphi app
Hi It would be nice to build enterprise-grade appl with Delphi, but are the options or third party software (like in J2EE) to do this? e.g. 1) there is J2EE middleware for hosting components - developer is not required to handle all the issues that are connected with session handling and different contexts in which the components can be stored (like application, session, request context, etc.). I understand that some of this can be done in DataSnap or in Web Services (can be even PHP, Java or .NET) and Delphi client - but in both cases there are some drawbacks: - for DataSnap - much shou...

calling a c++ dll from a delphi vcl app crashes the app upon exit [Edit]
I am using RAD Studio 2010 and I downloaded the latest updates. Since I can't see how I can attach a file to the message, I included in this message the source code for each file: To reproduce this problem follow these steps: Create a project group with two projects, one c++ dll project and one a Delphi VCL forms project. Save all the files in the same folder. 1. Use the wizard to create the c++ dll project, select c++ & Use VCL checkboxes. Make sure Project Options->C++ Linker->Dynamic RTL is set to true. I also added memmgr.lib and sharemem.obj to the project but I bel...

Make a Web App look like your delphi Program [Edit]
Hi What programming language would you use if you wanted to make a web page look like your Delphi program. For instance how would you put a page control or similar looking control on a web page. I'm not looking for a tool like morfik, but a language thx Thank you.. Edited by: Peter Skinner on Dec 5, 2010 12:56 AM > {quote:title=Peter Skinner wrote:}{quote} > Hi > > What programming language would you use if you wanted to make a web page look like your Delphi program. > > For instance how would you put a page control or similar looking control on ...

What advantages have to build one delphi xe7 app vs hybrid app as html5 bu? [Edit]
I need to know which mobile advanced hardware characteristics differences has delphi xe7 vs html5 builder for example. I need this characteristics: TEXT EDITING Text in different directions Changing Color On a picture Copy and paste Change Font delete uppercase lowercase Save phrases Select a saved phrase Bank of personal texts PHOTOS OR IMAGES Pulling photos or images already created cut paste Change in size turn Bank of personal images Drawings predefined Figures Lines or free strokes Change color and thickness Fillings Copy and paste delete Personal bank ...

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

Determining if an app is a web app or a windows app
Hi all,  I'm writing a generic utilites class and one of the methods needs to get the physical path of the application. I know Server.MapPath("~") gets the server path of the app for windows and also that Application.ExecutablePath gets the path for windows app. Now how would i determine which app is a windows app or a web app?   Thanks in advance. add a reference to system.web and then do the following  if (System.Web.HttpContext.Current == null)            {       &...

Delphi app in Apple App Store for iOS
Have you guys with iPhones and iPads seen that there is a Delphi produced app, running Interbase To Go, approved for download on the Apple App Store? I can't find a link on the web, but search "Embarcadero" on the app store and it shows up. (My daughter showed me. ;-) ) -- Nick > I can't find a link on the web, but search "Embarcadero" on the app > store and it shows up. (My daughter showed me. ;-) ) There are 6 apps that shows up... which one is it? - Palo Alto - Embarcadero (Fom Scott James, mapping software or something..) - Heart of...

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

conversion of windows app to web-enable apps
guys i know this may sound strange but a friend of mine told me that he saw a software/application that can somehow convert windows application into a web-enabled application or at least make these windows applications accessible to the internet without rewriting the whole system... is there such a thing? Maybe he was talking about Smart Client applications?  These are still windows applications, but connect to the internet via such mechanisms as web services for data exchange.Terri MortonEngagement Manager, NeudesicHow to ask a question mr. tmorton i found something i dont ...

Dragging and dropping a .WAV from Delphi App to other apps
Is there an easy way to drag a .WAV file from a Delphi 2006 App to another app. It's not from a listbox or anything like that. It's from a custom window. My code would need to be responsible for generating a .WAV file based on where the person initially clicked on a window. Is the only way to drop a file from a Delphi 2006 to use complicated COM routines? If so, then would the other app that receives the file need complicated com routines too, or would it work with any app that could accept a the same dropped file type from Explorer? Thanks. "Jeff Ya...

Are there any Delphi apps on the iTunes or Mac App Store?
So XE2 has been out for a while now. Surely there must be some apps created with it on either app store (or otherwise). Can someone point me out to those? > {quote:title=Martin Kammann wrote:}{quote} > So XE2 has been out for a while now. Surely there must be some apps created > with it on either app store (or otherwise). > Can someone point me out to those? Anders has one: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anders-analog-clock/id475178939?mt=8 And I believe Bob Swart does too. Note that you're not required to use the Mac App Store to deploy your apps to OS X. ...

Web resources about - Delphi 7 app to web app conversion [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.intraweb

Conversion (law) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its criminal counterpart is theft . Examples are seen in cases where trees are cut down and the lumber hauled from the land by someone not having ...

Sonny Bill Williams' transformation due to conversion to Islam, Anthony Mundine says
He went from being savaged for walking out on the Bulldogs to becoming one of the world's most respected rugby union stars. Anthony Mundine believes ...

Government report: End ex-gay conversion “therapy” for LGBT youth
... endorsed efforts to ban the practice, which aims to change a person’s sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. “Conversion ...

Tory MP: 'It is time to make gay conversion therapy illegal'
Gay-conversion therapies were debated in the house of parliament this afternoon with one Conservative MP calling for legislation to make them ...

Russian Minister Confirms Plans to Ban Bitcoin-to-Fiat Conversions
Russia's Deputy Finance Minister has confirmed the country's plans to penalise the conversion of cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin into the ruble. ...

Get a free copy of powerful DVD ripping and video conversion software
DVD players are going the way of the Walkman, leaving many of us with vast libraries of obsolete discs. Of course the movies and TV shows themselves ...

This Texas Tech Two-Point Conversion Is A Work Of Art
Every college football play should start like this. Read more...

Advocates back Ohio bill to ban conversion therapy on gay, transgender minors
As a registered nurse and state-licensed social worker, Jody Davis spends much of her time helping others. But as a teen, she was put into conversion ...

5 Ways to Analyze the Path to Conversion
There are many different ways to analyze how a visitor comes to the point of conversion on your website. Over the past month I've been figuring ...

PRO-LIFE CONVERSION Ex-Planned Parenthood clinic reborn in Texas
PRO-LIFE CONVERSION Ex-Planned Parenthood clinic reborn in Texas