Delphi XE3 Size Mismatch for field error

I already posted this in the Delphi/General group but  this is a better place for it so I'm reposting.

Can anyone tell me please where I can find the thread that Jeff Overcash mentioned below, or alternately tell me how to fix the problem please?

TIA

From my previous post.....

Satara IT Department wrote:
Hi,
I'm converting one of my apps to XE3 (from XE2), I thought it was all going splendidly , i.e. I didn't have to make any code changes (except something to do with the OnGetTableName event which I've asked about in a separate post) to get it to build, but when I run it I now get a "Size mismatch for field xxx, expecting: 8 actual: 4" error. The field(s) in question are TIBBCDFields (I'm using TIBQuery/TDatasetprovider/TClientDataset) on the TIBQuery and are just recovered from an Interbase XE database table

, i.e. they are not calculated or anything).

Does anyone know why this should stop working with the upgrade to Delphi XE3?

Jeff Overcash wrote:

Compiler bug that requires an interface change to fix. Of course this has
already been talked about in the interbaseexpress newsgroup.
0
Satara
1/8/2013 4:27:00 AM
embarcadero.delphi.interbase 331 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, also I realise you are rather limited as to what you can do to fix this. If I haven't calmed down by tomorrow I might try contacting "JT"  ;)

> {quote:title=Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:}{quote}
> Satara IT Department wrote:
> > Thanks for the explanation Jeff...
> >
> > I've tried fixing the field size in my form (setting it back to 4) but the compiler/IDE keeps changing it back to 8, so am I correct in saying that you weren't joking when you said I cannot fix this issue at present?
> >

> Every time you save the dfm it will use a default as 4.  Without an updated
> ibxpress170.bpl that has the attribute default for 8 it will continue to do that.
>
> > If this is the case then that makes the current version of XE3 unusable for us, any idea when it will be fixed?
> >
> Mobile is the next interface change.  I am bound by the teams decisions on id an
> interface breaking change is allowed.  In almost all cases the answer is no.
> They said no to this fix too.
>
> > Could you tell me please who I should email at Embarcadero to vent my frustration at?
> >

> JT is the product manager.
>

> --
> Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
>        (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
> And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor
> I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die.
> Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless
> faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted  corridors of Whitehall.
>               (Fish)
0
Satara
6/10/2012 11:56:08 PM
Satara IT Department wrote:
> I already posted this in the Delphi/General group but  this is a better place for it so I'm reposting.
>
> Can anyone tell me please where I can find the thread that Jeff Overcash mentioned below, or alternately tell me how to fix the problem please?

Like I said it is a compiler issue.  The default 8 for the size property is not
being honored, instead the parent classes default 4 is used.  This is caused due
to the parent class now using both the default directive and the newer attribute
style for that property.  The newer attribute style overrides the compiler
directive in child classes.

There is no fix until I can break the interface again or they fix the
compiler/streaming issues with a mix of old and new.  Adding the attribute style
at the child level is considered an interface breaking change and I am not
allowed to do that in a normal patch.

This default has not changed since I took over 13 years ago (it existed from the
FreeIB days actually) so there are 13 years worth of DFM's out there that has
missing as meaning 8 and not 4.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)
Thanks for the explanation Jeff...

I've tried fixing the field size in my form (setting it back to 4) but the compiler/IDE keeps changing it back to 8, so am I correct in saying that you weren't joking when you said I cannot fix this issue at present?

If this is the case then that makes the current version of XE3 unusable for us, any idea when it will be fixed?

Could you tell me please who I should email at Embarcadero to vent my frustration at?

> {quote:title=Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:}{quote}
> Satara IT Department wrote:
> > I already posted this in the Delphi/General group but  this is a better place for it so I'm reposting.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me please where I can find the thread that Jeff Overcash mentioned below, or alternately tell me how to fix the problem please?
> >

> Like I said it is a compiler issue.  The default 8 for the size property is not
> being honored, instead the parent classes default 4 is used.  This is caused due
> to the parent class now using both the default directive and the newer attribute
> style for that property.  The newer attribute style overrides the compiler
> directive in child classes.
>
> There is no fix until I can break the interface again or they fix the
> compiler/streaming issues with a mix of old and new.  Adding the attribute style
> at the child level is considered an interface breaking change and I am not
> allowed to do that in a normal patch.
>
> This default has not changed since I took over 13 years ago (it existed from the
> FreeIB days actually) so there are 13 years worth of DFM's out there that has
> missing as meaning 8 and not 4.
>
> --
> Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
>        (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
> And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor
> I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die.
> Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless
> faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted  corridors of Whitehall.
>               (Fish)
0
Satara
1/8/2013 9:53:13 PM
Satara IT Department wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation Jeff...
>
> I've tried fixing the field size in my form (setting it back to 4) but the compiler/IDE keeps changing it back to 8, so am I correct in saying that you weren't joking when you said I cannot fix this issue at present?

Every time you save the dfm it will use a default as 4.  Without an updated
ibxpress170.bpl that has the attribute default for 8 it will continue to do that.

> If this is the case then that makes the current version of XE3 unusable for us, any idea when it will be fixed?

Mobile is the next interface change.  I am bound by the teams decisions on id an
interface breaking change is allowed.  In almost all cases the answer is no.
They said no to this fix too.

> Could you tell me please who I should email at Embarcadero to vent my frustration at?

JT is the product manager.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)
0
Jeff
1/9/2013 1:19:51 AM
On 09/01/2013 02:33 PM, Satara IT Department wrote:
> Thanks Jeff, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, also I realise you are rather limited as to what you can do to fix this. If I haven't calmed down by tomorrow I might try contacting "JT"  ;)
>
>> {quote:title=Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:}{quote}
>> Satara IT Department wrote:
>>> Thanks for the explanation Jeff...
>>>
>>> I've tried fixing the field size in my form (setting it back to 4) but the compiler/IDE keeps changing it back to 8, so am I correct in saying that you weren't joking when you said I cannot fix this issue at present?
>>>

>> Every time you save the dfm it will use a default as 4.  Without an updated
>> ibxpress170.bpl that has the attribute default for 8 it will continue to do that.

Hi

Please humour my ignorance.

I have tried to work around this by setting the size of the fields to 4
in code when I create the form containing the tibbcdfields. This seems
to work fine but is there a danger in doing this. I am using them to
access numeric(15,4) fields in my database.

Thanks
Tony
0
Tony

ArcGIS runtime errors after upgrading from Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE3
We have an application written in Delphi Pascal that accesses the ArcGIS 9.3 API through the COM interface. We recently upgraded from Delphi 2007 to Delphi XE3 and ever since we upgraded we have been getting runtime errors in the ArcGIS libraries that we were not getting before. Specifically the error is always "invalid floating point operation". The first one that was occurring was happening in the method "sg.SgCoordRefSetZ". I was able to eliminate this error by adding a call to FGeoSpatialReference.SetZDomain(-10000, 100000.0) even though there is nowhere that we&#...

XE3 Upgrade
Hi, I'm converting one of my apps to XE3 (from XE2), I thought it was all going splendidly , i.e. I didn't have to make any code changes (except something to do with the OnGetTableName event which I've asked about in a separate post) to get it to build, but when I run it I now get a "Size mismatch for field xxx, expecting: 8 actual: 4" error. The field(s) in question are TIBBCDFields (I'm using TIBQuery/TDatasetprovider/TClientDataset) on the TIBQuery and are just recovered from an Interbase XE database table , i.e. they are not calculated or anything). Does an...

Delphi XE3 plus CBuilder XE3 demo is still Delphi only
Have Delphi XE3 installed (and registered), tried to install the CBuilder XE3 demo to see if it work as required. The result is that only Delphi was updated and no CBuilder available. Is there a way to test it - I would have upgraded to full RadStudio but doubted the CBuilder 64 bit compiler would be available in time (deadline is almost here and already ported the code to VC++ but don't particularly like it). ...

Delphi 2010 professional to Delphi XE3

Migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE3

Error on Delphi 6 but not on Delphi Xe for Ftp
I am Experimenting with get a file from our webside server via Ftp. I have 2 Machines 1 a laptop runing XP Delphi 6 Indy 10.5.8.0 An a machine runing Window 7 Delphi XE2 with Indy 10.5.8.0. I am using the Same Code on Both. procedure TFrmMain.ProcessItemDalySpecial; var PathDest : String; FileName : String; begin with FrmTb2 do begin if ReadIniBoolean(IniCfg,'FTP','UseFtpDaly') then begin Ftp.Host := ReadIniStr(IniCfg,'FTP','HostDaly'); Ftp.Port := ReadIniInt(IniCfg,'FTP'...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi XE3
Hi The error insight does not underline faulty code in my apps. I have checked the Tools>Options>Code Insight and Error insight is ticked. What am I missing? Thanks Godfrey > {quote:title=Godfrey Fletcher wrote:}{quote} > Hi > > The error insight does not underline faulty code in my apps. I have checked > the Tools>Options>Code Insight and Error insight is > ticked. > > What am I missing? Did you do a full install? If you disabled or did not install certain features, it is possible that other features that rely on them will...

Error "Multiple-step operation generated errors. Check each status value setting datetime field value" with TADOQuery and TDateTime (Delphi XE2)
Hello all, I've created an application which should do some automated tasks. When I run the application normally (as admin on a Window Server 2008 R2 x64 + MSSQL Server 2008 R2) everything works just fine. But whe I run the application a a 'sceduled taks' (with a different Windows User account), I get the following error when I modify a datetime field of a SQL query and I try to post the record Multiple-step operation generated errors. Check each status value setting datetime field value This is what I do (not exact query...): procedure Edit(aConn: T...

Delphi XE3 EXE file sizes..
Is it just me, or has the base Delphi XE3 exe sizes doubled yet again as compared to XE (base as in minimum using classes and sysutils for console, or no modification in code for gui)? no packages, release build, optimization:false and inline:off An empty console app (only classes,sysutils in uses list, try-except for Exception, 1 writeln line with e.message, nothing else) uses minimum ~300KB in XE, but in XE3 it's 900+ for same. An empty gui app "New VCL Forms Application" (no components added, no code written) used minimum ~900KB in XE, but with XE3 it's about 2,1MB ...

Delphi 2010: Error in blob field
Hello When trying to save a blob field with ONE character always shows an error access violation at address ..... The sentence I am using is: insert into table (...) values (...) and I am passing the parameter as follows: Consulta.parambyname ('field') .. Assign ('fieldname'). I worked in D2006 and it worked perfectly, we are now migrating to the D2010 and is presented for this inconvenience. What could be? ... Thanks for any help and please excuse my English. Juan Carlos Camacho Juan Carlos Camacho Castillo explained on 9/16/2010 : > Hello > &...

Delphi error with WSDL field names
Hi; I have an ugly situation where my client is constructing the message to post to the service poorly. when I intercept the message prior to posting the tage is cased incorrectly. I have created the following work around, but this seems to be a very heavy handed and brittle solution. In the WSDL all instances of the definition of the input tag are all lowercase, however when delphi generates the submission the I is capitalized. I presume I have missed something very elementary but cant for the life of me figure it out. Thanks in advance for any assistance. -Allen {code...

Delphi XE3 EXE file sizes.
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_78381.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" See post with same subject in embarcadero.public.delphi.non-technical --JohnH --JivePart=_78381.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel; name="DelphiExeSizeVsCompilerVerDate 120910.xls" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="DelphiExeSizeVsCompilerVerDate 120910.xls" 0M8R4KGxGuEA...

Web resources about - Delphi XE3 Size Mismatch for field error - embarcadero.delphi.interbase

Spatial mismatch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spatial mismatch is the mismatch between where low-income households reside and where suitable job opportunities are available. In its original ...

Skills mismatch behind youth jobless: B20
Making graduates more attractive to employers is key to reducing youth unemployment, a conference heard today.

Retirement dreams a mismatch with savings reality
Australians have unrealistic expectations about the lifestyle they will be able to afford in retirement.

'Mismatch' now too close to call
'Mismatch' now too close to call

Newcastle Next: Powerful mismatch of architectural styles
WILL Newcastle be all that different from the Newcastle we see now, or the one 100 years ago?

Soccer mismatch
Dutch scientists claim that mistakes are inevitable when assistant referees are judging whether soccer players are offside or not. Raôul R. ...

Free to play iOS game marketing cost ‘mismatch is insane’
Free-to-play iOS game makers say the mismatch is “insane” between what it costs to acquire a new customer and how much revenue they’ll get through ...

Skills mismatch or ‘labour market failure’? Canada’s newcomer conundrum
In the past seven years, the number of people brought to Canada to do a job and then leave has eclipsed the number of people moving here annually ...

Labour Mismatch Canada: CIBC Report Warns Country's Standard Of Living At Risk
... workers languish in unemployment."We have people without jobs and jobs without people," said author and deputy economist Benjamin Tal.The mismatch ...

Mismatch
... itself. The company treats the stores as a sales channel but also as a communications channel with its customers. A complete and total mismatch. ...