Delphi 2010 - IBX - UTF8 - dbmemo problem

I am migrating an application from delphi 6 - ibx - firebird 1.5 that works great to delphi 2010 - Firebird 2.1 - UTF8 database.

The problem is that if I use a DBMEMO to display data from a BLOB I get the follwoing error

---------------------------
Debugger Exception Notification
---------------------------
Project accedo.exe raised exception class EAccessViolation with message 'Access violation at address 00686059 in module 'accedo.exe'. Read of address 000000EC'.
---------------------------

If I delete the DBMEMO component the program runs just fine whit out it

The blob is a text BLOB (sub_type 1).

Any help or workaround would be extremely appreciated.

My environment: Delphi 2010, IBX, Firebird 2.1

I know IBX doesn't support Firebird anymore, but has anybody experienced
problems using DBMEMOs to retrieve and display UTF8 blob text from Firebird 2.1

Thanks

Alejandro Jourdan
0
Luis
7/29/2010 12:11:08 AM
embarcadero.delphi.interbase 331 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Luis Jourdan wrote:

> I know IBX doesn't support Firebird anymore ...

	Correction: IBX never supported Firebird, ever. If it worked at all,
that was coincidence.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
> {quote:title=Craig Stuntz wrote:}{quote}
>> I know IBX doesn't support Firebird anymore ...
>
> 	Correction: IBX never supported Firebird, ever. If it worked at all,
> that was coincidence.
>
> --

Well, if I remember correctly, some time ago, firebird was the same as interbase!
0
Luis
7/29/2010 5:24:17 PM
Luis Jourdan wrote:

> Well, if I remember correctly, some time ago, firebird was the same
> as interbase!

	You can ignore what I said if it suits you, but it doesn't make it any
less true: If you use Firebird then you should not use IBX, because IBX
does not and has never supported Firebird.

--
Craig Stuntz · Vertex Systems Corp. · Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/
0
Craig
7/29/2010 5:41:31 PM
Luis Jourdan wrote:

> Well, if I remember correctly, some time ago, firebird
> was the same as interbase!

Which is true and which has nothing whatever to do with
whether IBX supports Firebird. I think there is a
misunderstanding of what we mean by "supports". In D2010
dbExpress supports FB which means that the code is written
to be compatible with the FB interface and the code is
tested against the FB server.

IBX is not written to work with FB and is not tested
against FB. People are able to use IBX with FB because
InterBase and Firebird have a common ancestry. However, if
you elect to use IBX with FB you should expect it to stop
working if the FB development team elects to change the API
at any time in the future.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
0
Luis Jourdan wrote:
> I am migrating an application from delphi 6 - ibx - firebird 1.5 that works great to delphi 2010 - Firebird 2.1 - UTF8 database.
>
> The problem is that if I use a DBMEMO to display data from a BLOB I get the follwoing error
>
> ---------------------------
> Debugger Exception Notification
> ---------------------------
> Project accedo.exe raised exception class EAccessViolation with message 'Access violation at address 00686059 in module 'accedo.exe'. Read of address 000000EC'.
> ---------------------------
>
> If I delete the DBMEMO component the program runs just fine whit out it
>
> The blob is a text BLOB (sub_type 1).
>
> Any help or workaround would be extremely appreciated.
>
> My environment: Delphi 2010, IBX, Firebird 2.1
>
> I know IBX doesn't support Firebird anymore, but has anybody experienced
> problems using DBMEMOs to retrieve and display UTF8 blob text from Firebird 2.1
>
> Thanks
>
> Alejandro Jourdan

Make sure you are setting the lc-ctype in the connection.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)
> {quote:title=Jeff Overcash wrote:}{quote}
>
> Make sure you are setting the lc-ctype in the connection.
>
> --

I have lc_ctype=UTF8 in the connection, is that correct?
Thanks
Alejandro Jourdan
0
Luis
7/30/2010 4:14:10 PM
Luis Jourdan wrote:
>> {quote:title=Jeff Overcash wrote:}{quote}
>>
>> Make sure you are setting the lc-ctype in the connection.
>>
>> --
>
> I have lc_ctype=UTF8 in the connection, is that correct?
> Thanks
> Alejandro Jourdan

Yes it should be, IBX will not convert based on a column's character type, it
needs the connection's character type to be set if you are not staying all ansi.
  If that one doesn't work then try a different one.  I know one of the
character sets in FB was not implemented the same as in InterBase, don't recall
which one though since I do not track FB changes at all.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
              (Fish)

problem delphi 2010 apps with a delphi 5 pro Pchar
Hallo I build on till now alle tools and programas with delphi 5 pro now i have delphi 2010 want don't want rewite alle my DLL Tools Like The tool i made for making PDF In case of This DLL i can't becose the vcl i use in delphi 5 will not work in delphi 2010 *This call in apps* {code} Function GenratePDF(Settings:Pchar):Boolean; stdcall external 'GUPPDF2.dll'; {code} *In delphi 5 DLL* {code} Function GenratePDF(Settings:Pchar):Boolean; stdcall; {code} if call the function i get a "Access violation" i think that the settings parameter empty is...

Problems
Hi; We have a software developed in the Delphi 2009 and we do NOT use the runtime themes. So, the option: Projetct / Options / Application / Enable Runtime Themes is UNCHECKED. When I'm on the Delphi 2009, it's all right. The problem is when I use the Delphi 2010. The same configuration (Projetct / Options / Application / Enable Runtime Themes is UNCHECKED). The form editor (IDE) insists on show the forms with the current Windows theme. I don't like this, I want the runtime themes off while I'm programming and editing my forms. How can I solve it? Thanks to...

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Delphi 2010 -> Interbase TIBStoredProc component problem [Edit]
Hello, Recently, Using Delphi 2010_3615 trial Version. When Executing Interbase TIBStoredProc is raised [*unsupport feature*] error message How to fix this problem? (there is Ok. in Delphi 2009 Version) Plesae Help Thanks. Edited by: Harrison Huang on Aug 5, 2010 2:38 AM Harrison Huang wrote: > Hello, > Recently, Using Delphi 2010_3615 trial Version. > When Executing Interbase TIBStoredProc is raised [*unsupport feature*] error message > How to fix this problem? (there is Ok. in Delphi 2009 Version) > > Plesae Help > Thanks. &...

Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Delphi 2010 professional to Delphi XE3

Delphi 2010 w Delphi 2007

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

Migrating From Delphi 7 to Delphi 2010

Free RAD Studio 2010 and Delphi Prism 2011 with purchase of Delphi 2010
Hi All, For those of you who complain that Delphi (and RAD Studio) is too expensive... for a few short weeks there are two overlapping special offers from Embarcadero that you can use to move up to RAD Studio 2010 including the latest Delphi Prism 2011 for the price of a single Delphi 2010 (New User or Upgrade)... The first "RAD Studio PROMO" offer is still valid until June 28th: when you order Delphi 2010, you get RAD Studio 2010 delivered instead (including Delphi 2010, C++Builder 2010 and Delphi Prism 2010). As of May 26th, the "Delphi Prism 2011" of...

delphi 2006 code in delphi 2010

Problem with Delphi 6 to Delphi 7 upgrade
I have just purchased Delphi XE because I have an immediate need of D7 which came for free with XE. I downloaded and installed D7 and I think I applied the Update 1 that I had also downloaded. After much messing around with old components, I have finally attempted to compile my D6 project with D7. I get the following error:- [Fatal Error] apm.dpr(225): Unit ExtDlgs was compiled with a different version of ExtCtrls.TPanel I have checked the library paths all point to D7 versions of everything and now am at a loss to know what to do next. Also checked the sequence to make sure that al...

package conversion from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2010
Hello, I am evaluating 2010 to convert a delphi 5 app up. My first task is to convert some custom control packages. My requires statment looks like this: requires vcl50, Vclx50, VclSmp50, Vcldb50, vcljpg50, What are the delphi 2010 equivalents if any? Is there documentation that I could look at to help with the conversion process? Thanks.. ...Joe.. joe alaimo wrote: > requires > vcl50, > Vclx50, > VclSmp50, > Vcldb50, > vcljpg50, 140 is the 2010 version. > > What are the delphi 2010 equivalents if any? Is t...

Web resources about - Delphi 2010 - IBX - UTF8 - dbmemo problem - embarcadero.delphi.interbase

WA fires: police deny looting problem in Waroona bushfire zone
Hundreds of people who fled West Australia's bushfire-ravaged towns are worried looters are stealing from their unguarded homes, but police insist ...

Trump’s dig at the NFL, like the rest of his campaign, blames “soft” progressive culture for bare-knuckled ...
... Butkus and Lawrence Taylor. And it’s just a cause that Trump, and the rest of the Republican Party, can’t dare admit: capitalism. The problem ...

New free app fixes people’s biggest problem with Netflix
Finding and discovering movies and TV series on Netflix might be an annoying chore for some people. There are many tricks to customize the way ...

An excellent discussion of the latest Hillary Clinton email problem on "Fox News Sunday."
This is a bit long and starts slow, but the different commentators bring different perspectives that I'll try to highlight, so stick with me: ...

The Middle East's big problem: Sectarianism - Business Insider Deutschland
Sectarian divisions in the Middle East are only getting worse, and there's little sign that tensions in the region will abate before they explode ...

Fewer U.S. teens smoking, but a smoke problem persists
Study shows what it is; lead researcher calls findings "concerning"

Windows tech support: Fixing Internet problems
Common solutions for slowdowns, disconnections, and spotty signals.

Chipotle Sued For Not Disclosing Food Quality Control Problems To Stockholders
... in different parts of the country. The outbreaks of e. Coli , Salmonella, and norovirus were unrelated to each other, but demonstrated problems ...

Cologne attacks: Does Germany have a problem with sexual assault? (+video)
Activists say violence against women has been ignored for too long – whether the perpetrators are immigrants or native-born Germans.