Where are my original setup sources?

I installed Delphi XE Update 1 Ok on my XP Pro desktop - at least there
were no errors.
Now I'm trying to install it on my Win 7 laptop.  I'm hung up at a
Browse for Folder dialog that says, "Please locate your original setup
sources to continue operation."
Well, I did a web install.
I've pointed the dialog at the "D:\Downloads\Delphi\Delphi XE" folder
and at the "web installer" folder under that, and at the "install"
folder under that.
I've also pointed the dialog at the Delphi XI "bin" directory in Program
Files.
The only thing that happens is that I get back to the Browse for Folder
dialog.

So, what file or files is it looking for?
And if the files aren't there, how the heck did I get Delphi installed
in the first place?
And if they don't NEED to be there to run Delphi, why should they need
to be there to update Delphi?

Color me confused.

John
0
John

Hi John,

> Browse for Folder dialog that says, "Please locate your original setup
> sources to continue operation."

I got that as well...

> So, what file or files is it looking for?

It should be C:\Users\All Users\{7DE921C9-42C8-4DA3-8A44-043C3349FD1D}
on Windows 7, or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\{7DE921C9-42C8-4DA3-8A44-043C3349FD1D} on XP.

> And if the files aren't there, how the heck did I get Delphi installed
> in the first place?

The files should be there. The problem may be that some people may have
removed these files to clean up some space on your hard disk. We're
talking 1.2 GB for the full package. 850 MB if you only have Delphi XE.

> And if they don't NEED to be there to run Delphi, why should they need
> to be there to update Delphi?

That's something I also wonder about. Especially if you do not have them
on your disk anymore.

I thought we had a similar discussion a few years / versions ago where
an update would also require the original installation files, and fail
to perform the update if they could not be found. Leaving no other
option that to install the original RTM version followed by the update
(which is bad if you do not have enough free disk space)...

> John

Groetjes,
           Bob Swart

Chairman Delphi Development Network (DDN) powered by SDN - www.sdn.nl
Embarcadero Technology Partner - Delphi & RAD Studio Reseller BeNeLux
http://twitter.com/eBob42 LinkedIn: http://nl.linkedin.com/in/drbob42
Delphi Win32 & .NET books on Lulu.com: http://stores.lulu.com/drbob42
Personal courseware + e-mail support http://www.ebob42.com/courseware
Blog: http://www.drbob42.com/blog - RSS: http://eBob42.com/weblog.xml
0
Bob
11/17/2010 6:42:02 AM
On 11/16/2010 10:42 PM, Bob Swart wrote:
> Hi John,
>
>> Browse for Folder dialog that says, "Please locate your original setup
>> sources to continue operation."
>
> I got that as well...
>
>> So, what file or files is it looking for?
>
> It should be C:\Users\All Users\{7DE921C9-42C8-4DA3-8A44-043C3349FD1D}
> on Windows 7, or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
> Data\{7DE921C9-42C8-4DA3-8A44-043C3349FD1D} on XP.

Well, I don't have that GUID on my Win7 computer.  I tried all three
GUID folders that were under C:\Users\All Users and none of them
satisfied the rather Sphinxian "Browse for Folder" dialog.

And BTW, I wouldn't think of looking in a GUID folder for setup sources.

> The files should be there. The problem may be that some people may have
> removed these files to clean up some space on your hard disk. We're
> talking 1.2 GB for the full package. 850 MB if you only have Delphi XE.

I'm sure I didn't remove any files; however, I did do a Web install, so
maybe they're in Scotts Valley rather than in my laptop. <sigh>
I have the ISO, I guess I'll have to do a reinstall.  I hope I don't
have to do a wipe first - that's a miserable chore.

Thanks for the information, Bob, even if it didn't work.

John
0
John
11/17/2010 7:42:09 PM
I reinstalled XE on my Win7 laptop.  I started Update1.EXE by
right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator", and I'm logged in
as an administrator. I accepted the UAE dialog, and things started
churning away.  I got to the "missing etm.exe" file error.  I created a
genuine fake etm.exe file, then got the error that the file couldn't be
modified.

I had installed XE in the default location, which is Program Files.
I've read here that that's a Bad Place to install programs, so I've
uninstalled XE and install in a directory off C:\ and see how that goes,
even though it seems to me like stepping back into the Dark Ages of DOS.

Here we go again!

John
0
John
11/17/2010 9:21:31 PM
John,

| Here we go again!

I really, really, REALLY HATE Win7!!!!!!!!!!!

11/17/2010 14:22:04

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q'sBrokenToolBar]
0
Quentin
11/17/2010 10:22:36 PM
I installed XE, this time, in C:\Users\All Users\Embarcadero\Delphi XE.
I registered and started it, closed it and got a Windows message from
the "Compatibility Assistant" saying that it had made changes.  There
was only an Ok button.
I restarted and everything "seems" Ok.

Is there actually a recommended installation folder other than Program
Files?  I don't seem to remember anything specific.

John
0
John
11/17/2010 10:26:38 PM
Installation of Update 1 failed again.  I started Update1.EXE by
right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator", and I'm logged in
as an administrator. I accepted the UAE dialog, and things started
churning away.
This time the error was "Unable to modify etm.exe" again because of
insufficient privileges.

Ok, now I'm really flummoxed.

Where does Embarcadero recommend installing XE on a Win 7 computer, such
that it won't upset Windows and will be updatable?

A day and a half and I'm behind where I started.  <sigh>

John
0
John
11/17/2010 11:20:01 PM
I opened an installation support case and got the help I needed, in just
a few minutes. Nate Sharp responded and referred me to
http://support.embarcadero.com/article/41082
and indeed I had declined to install the automatic translator feature.
I followed the steps in the article and got XE updated on my laptop.
Now all I have to do is reinstall all the third-party stuff, since at
one point I did blow away and reinstall XE.  <sigh>

John
0
John
11/18/2010 4:20:51 AM
John,

| Nate Sharp responded and referred me to
| http://support.embarcadero.com/article/41082
| and indeed I had declined to install the automatic translator
| feature.

Does make one wonder why they make something selectable when it is
actually REQUIRED to make things work!  <sigh>

Thanks for your dedication.  When I finally get around to trying to
install XE on into my Win7 system I may have an easier time of it than
you did.

--

   Q  <Still waiting for the XE Update1 ISO.>

11/18/2010 09:56:15

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q'sBrokenToolBar]
0
Quentin
11/18/2010 5:58:34 PM
On 11/18/2010 9:58 AM, Quentin Correll wrote:
> John,
>
> Thanks for your dedication.  When I finally get around to trying to
> install XE on into my Win7 system I may have an easier time of it than
> you did.

I'm not sure whether the proper term is "dedication" or
"bullheadedness".  :/

John
0
John
11/18/2010 6:03:02 PM
John,

| I'm not sure whether the proper term is "dedication" or
| "bullheadedness".  :/

In any event it seems to be a human propensity to not let machines get
the better of us. <g>

11/18/2010 18:55:34

XanaNews Version 1.19.1.278  [Q'sBrokenToolBar]
0
Quentin

Basic Install/virt-install to test out changes, it can be done from the source directory: ./virt-manager To install the software into /usr/local (usually), you can do: python setup.py insta
Basic Install ============= For starters, if you just want to run virt-manager/virt-install to test out changes, it can be done from the source directory: ./virt-manager To install the software into /usr/local (usually), you can do: python setup.py install To build an RPM, you can run: python setup.py rpm setup.py generally has all the build and install commands, for more info see: python setup.py --help-commands python setup.py install --help http://docs.python.org/inst/standard-install.html -- Vink ...

CGDec2007 Update wants original installed sources but Orig Install never told me where
I just installed CG2007 [c++] on my new laptop, during the install I requested the original sources be kept...now I'm installing the DEC2007 update and its ASKING me where they are...but the original install NEVER gave me that info...does anyone know where the original sources are saved????????? I reinstalled it and it found the update sources on its own...all is good here in programming land. "charles leggette" <charles.leggette@leggette.com> wrote in message news:105705@forums.codegear.com... >I just installed CG2007 [c++] on my new laptop, during the...

Importing installation sources from a previous setup
I would like to import installation sources from my previous openSUSE setup (by the software management tool "zypper addrepo"). Unfortunately, I did not export my fine-tuning of 'the additional package repositories' (http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories) for openSUSE 12.1 before I was affected by 'another distribution upgrade hiccup' (http://tinyurl.com/7blen8s). Is it possible to extract anything from the other data structures so that I can reuse details in my current configuration? -- elfring -------------------------------------...

How to detect if my Delphi Win32 application has been installed by Setup ?
Hi, What I would like to know is how can I detect if my delphi application Win32 (from this EXE) has benn installed by a Setup.exe or .MSI ? How can I retrieve the list of applications installed under the current windows version (from XP and Vista too) ? Thank you for any suggestion or link or whatever... Regards, Laurent laurent pierre wrote: > How can I retrieve the list of applications installed under the current windows version (from XP and Vista too) ? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall ...

How do you install the install the kernel source?
In OES linux, how do you install the kernel source and what's the recommend source cd - that is, oes sp2 or the original disks. Thank you. * zavi@hotmail.com wrote, On 01/19/2007 06:21 PM: > In OES linux, how do you install the kernel source and what's the recommend > source cd - that is, oes sp2 or the original disks. Just go into Yast, Software Management and install the kernel sources. It will ask you for the right CD. Then do an update through rug or Red Carpet to have the sources updated, i.e. match the version of your running kernel. Uwe -- Novell Support...

Installing a single source Delphi component into an existing Package
Can someone tell me how to do this in D2007? In D7, there is an option in Component called Install Component, but that doesn't exist in D2007. Thanks in advance, Alan > {quote:title=Alan Sawyer wrote:}{quote} > Can someone tell me how to do this in D2007? > > In D7, there is an option in Component called Install Component, but that doesn't exist in D2007. Pesky annoyance, isn't it? Can someone with Delphi 2009 installed tell me whether it's finally added back in? Anyway, Steve Trefethen wrote a blog with step-by-step instructions here: http://...

Update installation source for autoyast installation
Hi, I'm trying to set up an autoyast installation. How can I add all available updates to the installation source. I tested with create_update_source.sh, but now I have wrong dependencies with older rpms like glibc. I marked "do not install glibc-2.4-31.30", so I get more and more dependency problems. How can I fix this? Thanks! Nicole #### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2008-04-29 07:37:42 #### Installation von glibc-2.4-31.30.i686[SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1] nicht m.glich glibc-2.4-31.30.i686[SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1] kann n...

Convert Source Install into Binary Install
What is the best way to take an existing DNN site that was installed via source install, and remove all the unneeded files to create a binaries only version? *Note this is a production site, that is already in use, and has many custom modules. Thanks in advance. Regards,Scott SchecterEntitySpacesSchecter Technology Solutions Scott, I would recommend using Beyond Compare and remove all unnecessary files (when you compare your production site with the Install version that you can download from the dnn website) manually.However, be extra carefull around the /Portals, /Install and /D...

FTP installation source broken after install
Greetings, I know this is something stupid that I'm doing wrong but....I have some older servers without DVD drives, so I set up a SLES10SP3 32-bit installation folder on our ftp server, under the root in the pub/sles10sp3 folder. I coped all the files from the DVD there. So the install goes fine, I boot from the 32-bit CD, choose FTP during install and configure the server and folder, anonymous access. It finds all the files and installs. Then, once the install is done, anytime I access anything with software I'm told it can't access the installation media, when I...

Delphi install issue "Cannot create drectory f:\temp\mia3793.tmp\setup.exe" [Edit]
I had Delphi 7, Delphi XE2 and Delphi XE3 all installed in my machine. All fine and working fine, all licensed. My folders were not well organized (a mess) so I decided to uninstall XE3 and XE2 and start from scratch. Same as I did always, I mounted the XE3 ISO thru Virtual Clonedrive and first thing I notice is that the path suggested for demos was: F:\temp\mia3793.tmp\Setup.exe\RAD Studio\9.0\Samples\ I went ahead and modified it to something more sensible. Then after a while I get the error "Cannot create the directory f:\temp\mia3793.tmp\Setup.exe. A file with this name alre...

The project appears to be under source control, but the associated source control plug-in is not installed on this computer. Source control will be disabled for this project.
Hi EveryoneNot sure if this is the right forum to post this on but here goes anyway.I have a project built in VS2003. I would like to open this with VS2008.  It was created by another company and we have been asked to modify the project. When I open the project it comes up with a message "The source control provider associated with this solution could not be found. The projects will be treated as not under source control.This makes a large amount of the project unavailable. How do I stop this and view the whole project?  Rob"Man is the best computer…and the only one that ...

How to install Source after a module Install is already loaded
I had a problem loading the "ForumBlog_03[1].10.01_Source.zip" file where it indicated some files were missing (File specified in the dnn could not be found in the zip file: DotNetNuke.Modules.Forum.dll).  I looked for other zip files in that zip file to make sure I was using the correct one, but I didn't see anything.  So I then loaded the "install" zip file instead of the "source" one.  That worked great.Now the problem exists that I need to modify the source code for the Blog and I'm not sure how/if it's possible to add the source code some other way besides the Module uplo...

error when we install setup conflict with a previous installation
I've just tried to install .net framework 2.0 but couldn't. I get an error message saying that there is a conflict with a previous installation. Is .net framework required "only" to extract/start the program? Is there any way around  it? Please let me know .Net Framework is an essential part of the .Net. You need it to be able to run managed code. So you must look for solving the conflict and install it on your machine.Reza Nassabehwww.professionalcsharp.comDon't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will ...

Web resources about - Where are my original setup sources? - embarcadero.delphi.install

Viacom (original) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the original Viacom (founded 1971). For the current state of the company since 2006, see CBS Corporation . For the new ...

Netflix announces premiere dates for 12 original series, including ‘Orange is the New Black’
... coming out of Netflix that it can sometimes be hard to keep up. Just when you think you've finally managed to binge watch every Netflix original ...

Scoop: THE ORIGINALS on THE CW
Scoop: THE ORIGINALS on THE CW - Friday, February 12, 2016 Broadway World ... elusive weapon, she quickly realizes she may be in over her head. ...

Review: The new 'X-Files' is a huge and satisfying departure from the original episodes
... in, is a lie?" Mulder asks Scullly as the first episode progresses. I'm not trying to sound any alarms. Truthfully, fans of all types — original ...

Original Jurassic Park To Screen With Live Orchestra
The music of Jurassic Park ranks right up there with some of the most recognizable cinematic [...]

Caption This: Obama Tours Original Shinola Store In Detroit
“Interesting. So this appears to be… um… some sort of excrement?” (Image courtesy of Valerie Jarrett)

Original ‘Two And A Half Men’ Stars To Reunite For James Burrows NBC Special
Charlie Sheen will be among the stars honoring veteran sitcom director James Burrows in NBC ’s special Must See TV: A Tribute to James Burrows ...

You can now import the original Rock Band into Rock Band 4
Harmonix is making good on their promise to get you more legacy tracks in Rock Band 4 , and that includes the original game. Although the Xbox ...

The Original Aunt Viv And Will Smith’s Forever-Long Feud Isn’t Ending Anytime Soon
Over the weekend, Jada Pinkett Smith declared in a video she posted on Facebook that she's not watching or going to the Oscars because the acting ...

DEAL: Grab an Original Nexus 5 32GB for $189
Yeah, yeah, it’s really old at this point, but look, the original Nexus 5 is still being supported by Google. It also runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow ...