I have delphi 7 interprise installed on my PC. Our company bought a delphi 2009 professional (upgrade). All of our projects now are made in delphi 7. We don't have time to move those projects to delphi 2009. Now, we are planning to create a new project using delphi 2009. Is it possible to install delphi 2009 in different windows profile without affecting delphi 7 projects?
0
Edwin

Edwin Aceron wrote:
> I have delphi 7 interprise installed on my PC. Our company bought a
> delphi 2009 professional (upgrade). All of our projects now are made
> in delphi 7. We don't have time to move those projects to delphi
> 2009. Now, we are planning to create a new project using delphi 2009.
> Is it possible to install delphi 2009 in different windows profile
> without affecting delphi 7 projects?

As far as I know, you can (and should) install Delphi 2009 in a different
directory from Delphi 7, and you should be able to run both Delphi 7 and
Delphi 2009 as you wish.  I have Delphi 4, Delphi 5, Delphi 2007 and
Delphi 2009 loaded on this PC.  Of course, you may want to stop .PAS or
..DPR files from being associated with any particular version of the
compiler.

Caveat: I don't do databases, so I don't know how any database engine
might be affected by the new install.

Cheers,
David
0
David
7/30/2009 6:38:40 AM
Edwin Aceron schrieb:

> I have delphi 7 interprise installed on my PC. Our company bought a
> delphi 2009 professional (upgrade). All of our projects now are made
> in delphi 7. We don't have time to move those projects to delphi
> 2009. Now, we are planning to create a new project using delphi 2009.
> Is it possible to install delphi 2009 in different windows profile
> without affecting delphi 7 projects?

Again my hint on virtual machines:

Using virtual machines for different Delphi versions, or even for every
single (independent) project, will allow to maintain legacy projects
forever, insensitive to changes of host machines, systems, third party
components or Delphi versions.

Virtual machines also can be configured for critical clients, with their
preferred Windows version and settings. You can test your applications
in those target environments, and you don't have to wait for user
complaints about bad appearance or behaviour of your GUI.

DoDi
0
Hans
7/30/2009 10:31:41 AM
Edwin Aceron schrieb:

> I have delphi 7 interprise installed on my PC. Our company bought a
> delphi 2009 professional (upgrade). All of our projects now are made
> in delphi 7. We don't have time to move those projects to delphi
> 2009. Now, we are planning to create a new project using delphi 2009.
> Is it possible to install delphi 2009 in different windows profile
> without affecting delphi 7 projects?

Again my hint on virtual machines:

Using virtual machines for different Delphi versions, or even for every
single (independent) project, will allow to maintain legacy projects
forever, insensitive to changes of host machines, systems, third party
components or Delphi versions.

Virtual machines also can be configured for critical clients, with their
preferred Windows version and settings. You can test your applications
in those target environments, and you don't have to wait for user
complaints about bad appearance or behaviour of your GUI.

DoDi
0
Hans
7/30/2009 11:50:13 AM
> {quote:title=Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:}{quote}
> Again my hint on virtual machines:

Which, while a nice idea, has absolutely nothing to do with the original question, which was "Can I install D7 and D2009 on the same system at the same time?". :-)

> Using virtual machines for different Delphi versions, or even for every
> single (independent) project, will allow to maintain legacy projects
> forever, insensitive to changes of host machines, systems, third party
> components or Delphi versions.

That's great, but it also requires a separate license for the OS for each VM. That might not be acceptable for the budgets of everyone. It also requires a machine capable of running multiple VMs; again, that might not be possible for everyone.
0
Ken
7/30/2009 1:02:43 PM
> {quote:title=Edwin Aceron wrote:}{quote}
> I have delphi 7 interprise installed on my PC. Our company bought a delphi 2009 professional (upgrade). All of our projects now are made in delphi 7. We don't have time to move those projects to delphi 2009. Now, we are planning to create a new project using delphi 2009. Is it possible to install delphi 2009 in different windows profile without affecting delphi 7 projects?

Yes. Just make sure to install them into different folders.

The only issue you'll have is that D2009's installation may change the path to D2009 instead of D7. That only affects the command-line compiler, so it may not be a problem for you.

Also, if you ever have to install them again on a new machine, it's important to install them in the order they were released (D7 first, and then D2009). This has always been the case with Delphi; at one point, when I was selling commercial components, I had D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6, and D7 (along with C++ Builder in various versions) installed on the same machine.
0
Ken
7/30/2009 1:04:53 PM

>Yes. Just make sure to install them into different folders.

No problem indeed. These day's i just install it all under
c:\delphi\delphiX

>The only issue you'll have is that D2009's installation may change
>the path to D2009 instead of D7. That only affects the command-line
>compiler, so it may not be a problem for you.

Yes, this behaviour of changing paths and dumping loads of bpl's in the
windows system map is totally unneeded. Moving back the bpl's (+change
the registry entries) to the bin and remove any path changes is working
perfectly. You need to repeat this with every delphi update which is
boring ;)
0
Marius
7/30/2009 4:25:57 PM
Thanks for the information guys. I'm glad I've found this forum.
0
Edwin

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

Upgrading to Delphi 2009 from Delphi 5

Can delphi 2009 and delphi 7 be on the same computer?
Can I install and run delphi 2009 and delphi 7 separately on the same computer or will they interfer with each other? I have delpi 7 already so do I need to choose a new folder (not c:\Borland) when installing 2009? Lorne Anderson wrote: > Can I install and run delphi 2009 and delphi 7 separately on the same > computer or will they interfer with each other? > > I have delpi 7 already so do I need to choose a new folder (not c:\Borland) > when installing 2009? It works fine. You usually want to install the older version first. As for folders, the root folde...

Convert Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 [Edit]

Problem with Delphi 6 to Delphi 7 upgrade
I have just purchased Delphi XE because I have an immediate need of D7 which came for free with XE. I downloaded and installed D7 and I think I applied the Update 1 that I had also downloaded. After much messing around with old components, I have finally attempted to compile my D6 project with D7. I get the following error:- [Fatal Error] apm.dpr(225): Unit ExtDlgs was compiled with a different version of ExtCtrls.TPanel I have checked the library paths all point to D7 versions of everything and now am at a loss to know what to do next. Also checked the sequence to make sure that al...

Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most important improvements between these versions of Delphi. The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for which we have licenses). Fire at will! -- Saluti, Alessandro Federici ------------------------------- "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." (Mark Twain) Alessandro Federici wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if any of yo...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Installing Delphi 2009...
We currently are using Delphi 5. We are contemplating upgrading to Delphi 2009. I have been asked to evaluate this new version of Delphi. I understand that I can download a 30-day trial. I believe that I should be able to install the trial version on the same computer that currently 'host' Delphi 5 but in a different folder. However, before actually installing Delphi 2009, I would like to confirm that my assumption is correct. Is anybody able to confirm that Delphi 2009 and Delphi 5 may reside on the same computer without interfering with each other? Thank you. John...

Web resources about - Is possible to install delphi 7 and delphi 2009 upgrade? - embarcadero.delphi.install

Chicago Paying the Price for Bad Cops
Chicago has had a history of police brutality, LZ Granderson says.

YouGov poll: Trump leads Rubio and Cruz head to head — by double digits
This same poll has Hillary up by five points over Bernie Sanders, with Martin O’Malley in double digits at 10 percent. No other national poll ...

Google Launches 'Choose Your Side' Promo with 'Star Wars' Themes
Do you follow the Light Side, or the Dark Side, of the Force? That is the question. With the release of the new Star Wars just weeks away, marketing ...

Turkey releases purported audio of warning it gave Russia's fighter jet
While the surviving pilot of a Russian fighter jet shot down over Turkey on Monday said he received no notice that the jet had entered Turkish ...

ISIS claims bomb attack on Tunisian presidential guard that killed 12
CNN ISIS claims bomb attack on Tunisian presidential guard that killed 12 CNN The aftermath of a bus explosion that left several people dead ...

Google unveils the hottest search topics for Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is rolling around in the US, kicking off the holiday season. Of course this also means shopping, but at the moment minds are mostly ...

Watch Eagles Of Death Metal’s First Interview About The Paris Terror Attacks
Eagles Of Death Metal found themselves at the center of a horrifying international tragedy a little over a week ago when their concert at Paris' ...

Andreco paints climate change mural ahead of COP21 in Paris
To welcome the upcoming Paris’ COP21 Climate Meeting, Italian artist Andreco is launching CLIMATE 01, an international art project comprising ...

Arrests of senator, bank CEO deepen Brazil graft probe
Brasília (AFP) - Brazilian police on Wednesday arrested a senior ruling-party senator and a billionaire investment banker in the intensifying ...

Watch: Thanksgiving By the Numbers
Discover the statistics behind America's favorite fall holiday.