Multiple start of thunderbird.exe

Hi all,

we are using Thunderbird in a network environment and it happens that an unpatient user starts two thunderbird processes which of course makes the program unstable.

Is there a safe way to prevent starting thunderbird again if it is already running?

0
iso
1/15/2015 12:20:34 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

On 1/15/2015 7:20 AM, Rácz Miklós wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we are using Thunderbird in a network environment and it happens that an unpatient user starts two thunderbird processes which of course makes the program unstable.

What network specifically?

> Is there a safe way to prevent starting thunderbird again if it is already running?

1. How long does TB typically take to start up?  What addons are being used?
2. How long is user typically waiting before trying again?
3. What OS is being used? Is this happening mostly on idle PCs?  Or, is
it mostly when the PC is busy, like shortly after booting PC?

0
Wayne
1/15/2015 1:21:10 PM
On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 08:21:10 -0500, Wayne wrote:

> On 1/15/2015 7:20 AM, Rácz Miklós wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we are using Thunderbird in a network environment and it happens that an unpatient user starts two thunderbird processes which of course makes the program unstable.
>
> What network specifically?
>
>> Is there a safe way to prevent starting thunderbird again if it is already running?
>
> 1. How long does TB typically take to start up?  What addons are being used?
> 2. How long is user typically waiting before trying again?
> 3. What OS is being used? Is this happening mostly on idle PCs?  Or, is
> it mostly when the PC is busy, like shortly after booting PC?

This is a W7 that the user visits by RDP. It takes the normal times to fire up TB abt 8-10 seconds. No addons. However, there are over 50 IMAP folders in use, so that sometimes the system is really irresponsive for 2-5 seconds. Otherwise you would not say that you are not in front of the physical machine.
Maybe the user misses to click on system tray when willing to switch back to TB and clicks rather the icon on the desktop.

In my point TB should in this case switch to the running process rather than to start a new one.
0
iso
1/15/2015 8:00:06 PM
On 1/15/2015 3:00 PM, Rácz Miklós wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 08:21:10 -0500, Wayne wrote:
>
>> On 1/15/2015 7:20 AM, Rácz Miklós wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> we are using Thunderbird in a network environment and it happens that an unpatient user starts two thunderbird processes which of course makes the program unstable.
>>
>> What network specifically?
>>
>>> Is there a safe way to prevent starting thunderbird again if it is already running?
>>
>> 1. How long does TB typically take to start up?  What addons are being used?
>> 2. How long is user typically waiting before trying again?
>> 3. What OS is being used? Is this happening mostly on idle PCs?  Or, is
>> it mostly when the PC is busy, like shortly after booting PC?
>
> This is a W7 that the user visits by RDP. It takes the normal times to fire up TB abt 8-10 seconds. No addons. However, there are over 50 IMAP folders in use, so that sometimes the system is really irresponsive for 2-5 seconds. Otherwise you would not say that you are not in front of the physical machine.
> Maybe the user misses to click on system tray when willing to switch back to TB and clicks rather the icon on the desktop.
>
> In my point TB should in this case switch to the running process rather than to start a new one.

It would switch, if it were in a state that it knew it was running :)

This issue is it is in a transitional state - a short window in which
you can hit this condition - which been reported a few times in a few
years. The cause is not understood.

So the user's files are all local on the win7 machine?  And, does this
happen when user logs in the win7 locally, i.e. not with RDP?

0
Wayne
1/16/2015 5:24:50 PM
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 12:24:50 -0500, Wayne wrote:

> On 1/15/2015 3:00 PM, Rácz Miklós wrote:

>>> What network specifically?

>>> 1. How long does TB typically take to start up?  What addons are being
>>> used?
>>> 2. How long is user typically waiting before trying again?
>>> 3. What OS is being used? Is this happening mostly on idle PCs?  Or,
>>> is it mostly when the PC is busy, like shortly after booting PC?
>>
>> This is a W7 that the user visits by RDP. It takes the normal times to
>> fire up TB abt 8-10 seconds. No addons. However, there are over 50 IMAP
>> folders in use, so that sometimes the system is really irresponsive for
>> 2-5 seconds. Otherwise you would not say that you are not in front of
>> the physical machine.
>> Maybe the user misses to click on system tray when willing to switch
>> back to TB and clicks rather the icon on the desktop.
>>
>> In my point TB should in this case switch to the running process rather
>> than to start a new one.
>
> It would switch, if it were in a state that it knew it was running :)
>
> This issue is it is in a transitional state - a short window in which
> you can hit this condition - which been reported a few times in a few
> years. The cause is not understood.
>
> So the user's files are all local on the win7 machine?  And, does this
> happen when user logs in the win7 locally, i.e. not with RDP?

Yes, the user's profile is local on W7. This is a virtual machine which I
can not check without RDP - I could maybe with VNC but I do not think
this would make any difference.

It seems that a second process will be started IF TB is doing something
that makes it anyway irresponsive (e.g. refreshing an IMAP folder's
headers with very many messages) for a couple seconds AND the user clicks
on TB icon on the desktop. I never experienced this on a Linux
environment.

Maybe this is not TB but W7 itself that ignores that a thunderbird
process is already running if the process is not answering within timeout.

0
iso
1/18/2015 10:11:01 AM
On 1/18/2015 5:11 AM, Rácz Miklós wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 12:24:50 -0500, Wayne wrote:

>>> This is a W7 that the user visits by RDP. It takes the normal times to
>>> fire up TB abt 8-10 seconds. No addons. However, there are over 50 IMAP
>>> folders in use, so that sometimes the system is really irresponsive for
>>> 2-5 seconds. Otherwise you would not say that you are not in front of
>>> the physical machine.
>>> Maybe the user misses to click on system tray when willing to switch
>>> back to TB and clicks rather the icon on the desktop.
>>>
>>> In my point TB should in this case switch to the running process rather
>>> than to start a new one.
>>
>> It would switch, if it were in a state that it knew it was running :)
>>
>> This issue is it is in a transitional state - a short window in which
>> you can hit this condition - which been reported a few times in a few
>> years. The cause is not understood.
>>
>> So the user's files are all local on the win7 machine?  And, does this
>> happen when user logs in the win7 locally, i.e. not with RDP?
>
> Yes, the user's profile is local on W7. This is a virtual machine which I
> can not check without RDP - I could maybe with VNC but I do not think
> this would make any difference.
>
> It seems that a second process will be started IF TB is doing something
> that makes it anyway irresponsive (e.g. refreshing an IMAP folder's
> headers with very many messages) for a couple seconds AND the user clicks
> on TB icon on the desktop. I never experienced this on a Linux
> environment.

TBH, in stock Thunderbird I don't think it can happen in this way, nor
have I seen it reported.  In cases where people have seen stuff like
this it is because they had an addon like minimizetotray, or there were
multiple windows open when they perviously shut down thunderbird.

> Maybe this is not TB but W7 itself that ignores that a thunderbird
> process is already running if the process is not answering within timeout.

0
Wayne

Thunderbird to Thunderbird
Our laptop went bad but hard drive is good and have accessed it. How do I transfer the email etc. from the old laptop to a desktop computer with a fresh install of thunderbird? Thank you! zparky wrote: > Our laptop went bad but hard drive is good and have accessed it. How do > I transfer the email etc. from the old laptop to a desktop computer with > a fresh install of thunderbird? > Thank you! Find your profile folder on the old drive. (This will help you find it: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird Use the instructions for Vista if you are...

Thunderbird and Thunderbird portable
Hi I use thunderbird on my home computer but travel to other friends and family and would like to use thunderbird portable Pleas can someone give an idiot proff step by step on how to transfer my account settings etc to my U3 usb Thanks On 4/23/2009 10:16 AM, user@domain.invalid wrote: > Hi I use thunderbird on my home computer but travel to other friends and > family and would like to use thunderbird portable Pleas can someone give > an idiot proff step by step on how to transfer my account settings etc > to my U3 usb > > Thanks See: http://kb.mozillazin...

Thunderbird To Thunderbird #2
Just downloaded and set up Thunderbird on my PC laptop. I transferred my contacts from Opera to Thunderbird. I set up a bunch of eMail Accounts. I put fresh install on my desktop PC. I see how to get the contacts from the laptop to the desktop. How do I get the eMail account setup from the laptop to the desktop. I do not see any export / import for that. Is there a file to copy over? Some utility to maintain the Accounts? On 06/20/2013 10:56 PM, OldGuy wrote: > Just downloaded and set up Thunderbird on my PC laptop. > I transferred my contacts from Opera to Thunder...

Improving the Thunderbird Mail Start Page for Thunderbird 2
The Thunderbird mail start page is woefully out of date. It links to features that were new in Thunderbird 1.0 and 1.5. Nothing about all the new features available to users in Thunderbird 2. We'd like to replace the existing Feature items in the start page with a new list of features. It'd be really nice to highlight the new Thunderbird 2 features in the start page. But fixing this would require us to break the string freeze and is something we are reluctant to do without further conversation with all the localizers. For more details see: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_...

Thunderbird
Hi all, I have a thunderbird install on a pc, I want to transfer all the emails on a new pc, how do I go about it? Thanks Anastassios On 17.10.2007 08:01 UK Time, Anastassios Giannaras wrote: > Hi all, > > I have a thunderbird install on a pc, I want to transfer all the emails > on a new pc, how do I go about it? No need to import - simply move/copy your whole mail folder to the new PC and tell TB where to find it. Please ask again if you need more detailed instructions (or someone else will probably provide them anyway). -- Herbert Eppel www.HETr...

How to set Thunderbird to start or to not start when Windows starts?
New to this forum, and got only a week's worth of topics. I have recently migrated Thunderbird from XP to Vista, but I still use the XP workstation and want to keep Thunderbird on it, but I don't want it to start each time at boot up. Can someone tell me how to prevent Thunderbird from starting when Windows starts in WinXP ? I have looked in the registry, in the profiles.ini and in the Thunderbird help section. Also, how to set it up to start when Vista starts? Thanks. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070709080209030101050405 Content...

How to start thunderbird and attach multiple files?
Hi, i'm a betatester and translator for digikam http://digikam.sourceforge.net/ a photo management application for Linux. We are planing a direct access from digikam to various mail clients and we are now searching or informations (and because i don't find them for mozilla -mail and thunderbird...) about how to start mozilla and thunderbirds mail composer and attach some photos to the mail. Basicly we want to offer an option to mail photos directly from digikam with the mailclients. Therefore we need a way to attach multiple files. What we found is... 1. Solution: m...

Rel. 11.4: Thunderbird Icon Jumping, stops jumping; Thunderbird does not start
Hello, I have installed 11.4, and it seems (seemed) to work OK so far. I installed Thunderbird via the opensuse "1 click install". the installation ran smoothly, but now a click on the Thunderbird icon does not activate any mail client; the only success is that Thunderbird icon jumps joyfully and then disappears. Could anybody kindly suggest what I should look for? Thanks and best regards, J C Anker -- jc_anker ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Not sure why you installed thunderbird via 1-click? Which repository...

Thunderbird
Hi, All email for our family is sent to a single domain e.g. domain.org.uk. We each have one or more email addresses e.g. I have ones for personal and business uses. We subscribe to mailing lists e.g. yahoogroups, often two or more of use will subscribe to the same mailing list. Each person might also have rules/filters to handle the mail that is being sent to them. Our current software handles this nicely. Each person is given a username, each username may create email 'aliases' - from this the software can accurately get the right email to the right person. It's...

Thunderbird start
Hallo everybody. I am just a beginner with Thunderbird (and news groups) and have a simple question. How do I make Thunderbird start in the INBOX and not with LOCAL FOLDERS? Hi Bernd, When using the most recent Tb 1.5rc1, use "Tools > Options > General" and remove the tick before "When Thunderbird launches, show...". That did the trick for me. Regards, Cigno Cigno schrieb: > Hi Bernd, > When using the most recent Tb 1.5rc1, use "Tools > Options > General" > and remove the tick before "When Thunderbird launches, show...&q...

thunderbird portible and thunderbird desktop.
Hi, How can I sync my emails between thunderbird portable and the desktop version? thanks -- Daniel Dalton http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/ daniel.dalton47@gmail.com Daniel Dalton wrote: > Hi, > > How can I sync my emails between thunderbird portable and the desktop > version? > thanks > with TB Port, it keeps its profile with the program. If you install it to a thumb drive [or whatever], then the profile is also located there. In other words, the profile is fixed and you can't change that. With TB desktop, the profile can be any...

Thunderbird Start
I'd like to click the TB icon and have it start right at my Inbox, downloading mail. I know how to find Tools>Options>General>TB Start Page, but what do I put in that window? On Oct 7, 5:40 pm, bill lurie <billu...@nospam.net> wrote: > I'd like to click the TB icon and have it start > right at my Inbox, downloading mail. > I know how to find Tools>Options>General>TB Start Page, > but what do I put in that window? Just uncheck the box that reads "When Thunderbird Launches..." and it should start you up in your Inbox. -- Jere...

Import mail into Thunderbird from Thunderbird
How can I import the mail from one Thunderbird (different computer) into my computer? I recently left a job where I used thunderbird as well. I just copied the whole Thunderbird directory and removed Thunderbird from my work computer. Is there a way to import the mail from the work computer and integrate it with my existing mail? What files do I need under that directory? Thank You Who knows which mail you are using ?? > How can I import the mail from one Thunderbird (different computer) into my > computer? I recently left a job where I used > thunderbird a...

Web resources about - Multiple start of thunderbird.exe - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control and shaping the future of the web for the public ...

Thunderbirds Are Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thunderbirds Are Go is a 1966 British science-fiction film based on Thunderbirds , a 1960s television series starring marionette puppets and ...

Edit - Thunderbird - CrunchBase Product Profile
TechCrunch CrunchBase More TechCrunch Europe TechCrunch France TechCrunch Japan Register - Login or Advanced Search Home > Products > Thunderbird ...

F-16C Thunderbirds Formation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
USAF Thunderbirds at the 2008 Battle Creek Air Show

Thunderbirds Are Go - Introducing The World - YouTube
The world of Thunderbirds Are Go, Tracy Island, miniature sets and craft have been lovingly made by none other than WETA Workshop - the model ...

Thunderbirds are go: First pictures of TV remake
The first images of the upcoming TV reboot of the iconic series Thunderbirds have been released, recasting the iconic puppets from the 1960s ...

Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson dies aged 83
... puppet TV shows Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90 died in his sleep, his son announces. Gerry Anderson, best known as the creator of Thunderbirds ...

Firebirds hold nerve to hold out Thunderbirds
It was another close shave but Queensland Firebirds coach Roselee Jencke was happy for her side to take a second straight win.

Thunderbirds are go, puppets are gone
Human Thunderbirds? What does this mean, writes James Cockington. - The Age Online

Southerners steal last-gasp draw against Thunderbirds
Southern Steel stole a 53-53 draw in the chaotic final seconds of their trans-Tasman netball league clash against Adelaide Thunderbirds.