XE5 cannot debug with "release" config

[Delphi® XE5 Version 19.0.14356.6604]
Hi all,
it seems it's no longer possible to debug (place breakpoints), with "release" build configuration.
Note that this was possible with XE4 and lower versions

For further infos, here are the steps to reproduce
1. create the simpliest win32 application
2. select build configuration as "release"
3. place a breakpoint somewhere in your code
4. goto menu > run > run (F9)
5. the breakpoint defined in 3. is disabled, altough it should not
0
Utf

Your example...

"Didier Cabalé" <=?Utf-8?Q?Didier_Cabal=C3=A9?=> wrote in message
> [Delphi® XE5 Version 19.0.14356.6604]
> Hi all,
> it seems it's no longer possible to debug (place breakpoints), with
> "release" build configuration.
> Note that this was possible with XE4 and lower versions
>
> For further infos, here are the steps to reproduce
> 1. create the simpliest win32 application
> 2. select build configuration as "release"
> 3. place a breakpoint somewhere in your code
> 4. goto menu > run > run (F9)
> 5. the breakpoint defined in 3. is disabled, altough it should not

doesn't seem to include changing settings so compiler and linker include
debug information... ?

(Note:  I don't have XE5, but that has generally been necessary to debug
release builds, at least with C++ side - I think I've seen it in Delphi
also.)
0
david
12/31/2013 7:32:14 PM
Didier wrote:

> it seems it's no longer possible to debug (place breakpoints),
> with "release" build configuration.

Makes sense, as no debug information is generated by default for "release"
builds.  You would have to go into the Project Options and enable debug info
for "release" build configuration(s).  That is true of any version, it is
not new to XE5.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
"Didier Cabalé" wrote in message news:642645@forums.embarcadero.com...
> [Delphi® XE5 Version 19.0.14356.6604]
> Hi all,
> it seems it's no longer possible to debug (place breakpoints), with
> "release" build configuration.
> Note that this was possible with XE4 and lower versions

The whole point of "release" is to compile *without debug info*.

If you were able to set breakpoints in release mode previously, it is
because you changed the settings for release mode to include debug info.

--
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
"You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work?
> {quote:title=david hoke wrote:}{quote}
> doesn't seem to include changing settings so compiler and linker include
> debug information... ?

no, your suggestion does not get better results.
-> I confirm my statement.
0
Utf
> Makes sense, as no debug information is generated by default for "release"
> builds.  You would have to go into the Project Options and enable debug info
> for "release" build configuration(s

no, your suggestion does not get better results.
-> I confirm my statement.
0
Utf
1/1/2014 9:19:21 AM
Didier Cabalé wrote:

> [Delphi® XE5 Version 19.0.14356.6604]
> Hi all,
> it seems it's no longer possible to debug (place breakpoints), with
> "release" build configuration.  Note that this was possible with XE4
> and lower versions
>
> For further infos, here are the steps to reproduce
> 1. create the simpliest win32 application
> 2. select build configuration as "release"
> 3. place a breakpoint somewhere in your code
> 4. goto menu > run > run (F9)
> 5. the breakpoint defined in 3. is disabled, altough it should not

It is absolutely possible.

I just tried the following:

- Create a new VCL application.
- Put code in form's OnClick event.
- Set a breakpoint on that code.
- Select the Release build configuration in the project manager.
- Run the application.

As expected, the break point is disabled.

- Stopped the application
- In Project|Options, I made sure the Target at the top is set to
Release.
- Under Delphi Compiler|Compiling, Debug Information is set to to "No
Debug Information".  I changed it to "Debug Information"
- Perform a full rebuild (Shift+F9).  This is important.
- The break point is enabled.
- Run the application.

The break point is still enabled, and execution stops there when I
click on the form.

Do these steps work for you?

Is it possible that you either made the configuration changes in a
target other than Release, or that you didn't do a full rebuild after
changing the settings?

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee
> {quote:title=Bruce McGee wrote:}{quote}
> - Under Delphi Compiler|Compiling, Debug Information is set to to "No
> Debug Information".  I changed it to "Debug Information"
> - Perform a full rebuild (Shift+F9).  This is important.

That's the point !
And indeed, after a full build, the debugger is enabled.
Thanks
Didier
0
Utf
1/2/2014 8:33:21 PM
Didier Cabalé wrote:

> That's the point !
> And indeed, after a full build, the debugger is enabled.
> Thanks
> Didier

I'm glad that helped.

If you make any project settings changes, it's important that you do a
full build.  There was a discussion in non-tech about this a little
while ago where someone was actually seeing data corruption.

--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

Ajax Library
Hi everyone,Consider following code: var rows = (targetElement.getElementsByTagName("table")[0]).getElementsByTagName("tr"); try { Array.forEach(rows, AssignHandler, targetElement); // Here, error is thrown } catch (ex) { Sys.Debug.trace(ex.message); // Try/catch and tracing ddded for debugging, same // error is there with or without it } var AssignHandler = function(element, index, array) { var cell = element.childNodes[0]; $addHandler(cell, "click", function() { SomeMethod(cell, someElemen...

Delphi 2010 IDE throws error on "find" and "find in files"
I will greatly appreciate any advice how to cure the suddenly appeared misbehaviour: I just loaded the main project file and then tried to find code snippets fore re-use with "find" and "find in files" the Eurekalog extract is: 2.2 Address : 20EB30B6 2.3 Module Name : vclide140.bpl - (Integrated Development Environment Specific Components) 2.4 Module Version: 14.0.3593.25826 2.5 Type : EOutOfResources 2.6 Message : Unable to insert a line. 2.7 ID : 61FB 2.8 Count : 1 2.9 Status ...

Compilation debug = "true" vs. debug ="false"
If I run my site with debug="false" I get errors and can't make it past the login page.  If I run my site with debug="true" the whole site runs as it is supposed to.Is this common? What kind of errors are you getting? For whatever reason, I am no longer getting any errors.  I can't recall exactly what errors I was getting when things weren't working properly.At any rate, it's back to the way it should be.Thank-you for your reply, voodoo9055.  Your help, advice and expertise is always appreciated....

should we set "debug = false" in web.config after a release build?
I read from a book saying that it would gain performance to change the compilation section of web.config to "debug = false" after deployment. But I question its soundness. Since I do use "release build" for deployment and I believe at run time the compilation section in web.config should be simply ignored. Can anyone elaborate the reason this? Thanks. I suppose you have deliverables that will be compiled on-the-fly on the production server (aspx files for instance). Although the web.config compilation section won't apply to your precompiled dlls, it will apply to all...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

#include "config.h" or #include "parrot/config.h"
In perl5, we've had occasional header file name conflicts over the years. One common example is someone putting a file named "config.h" in /usr/local/include. Other conflicts with "string.h" and "memory.h" are also conceivable. I'd suggest cd parrot mkdir include mkdir include/parrot mv *.h include/parrot changing parrot.h to do #include "parrot/config.h" and then changing Makefile to add -I./include to CCFLAGS. -- Andy Dougherty doughera@lafayette.edu Dept. of Physics Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042...

<compilation debug="false">in web.config throwing "Thread abort exception"
In Production server, <compilation debug="false"> throwing "Thread abort exception" for long running processes for more than 15-20 mins Event log message : Exception type: ThreadAbortException  Exception message: Thread was being aborted Can anybody help us!!!    It may have nothing to do with the debug mode. Is it possible the Session or Application is timing out and shutting down your thread while it's still trying to run?  Steve Wellens My blog...

All the possible "environment" or "IDE" variables "$(....)" one can use
Good day Is there a list of all the possbile environment or IDE variable names that one can use in Delphi? I am talking about all the identifiers which are put inside $(...) to point to some value. Anything from $(Platform) to $(BDSCOMMONDIR) and in between. I have been searching in help and on the web and have not found any list. I suspect I might be searching for the wrong name. I reckon "Environment Variables" only cover those provided by the OS and also paths that Delphi uses but then there are ones provided by Delphi based on other criteria like "Platform" and &...

Do we need setup "Debug = True" in web.config for debugging client-side debug?
The question is as the subject. When we debug client-side script, we need uncheck "Disable script debugging" in IE; attach debugger to the process of iexplore.exe; set breakpoints in clientside codes, but is that for sure we need to config web.config to allow debug? But we do need this step if we want to debug ASP.NET applications, right?   Thanks...

replace the "." with a ","

"Using" or "With"

"Me" is better than "You"

Web resources about - XE5 cannot debug with "release" config - embarcadero.delphi.ide