WHICH Delphi XE version is the most stable for windows desktop development? [Edit]

Hello there, I'm starting with delphi, because I'm nedding a whole environment letting me to develop some apps for windows desktop environment, but reading since some time ago about the topic, I'm not clear at all which delphi version(xe2,xe3,xe4,xe5) would be the best( the more stable, reliable, with less bugs, smaller .exe compilation, in broad terms the one with better performance) for desktop developing, I'm not interested in mobile develop yet, just native windows developing. Guess most of my apps wi
ll be the typical app with local database, use of 3rd components and access to remote mysql DBase systems, besides other things, guess.

So any recommendation about what delphi flavor would the best fit here?

Thanks in advance for your reply!
0
Douglas
11/8/2013 3:45:23 PM
embarcadero.delphi.ide 3925 articles. 0 followers. Follow

10 Replies
2650 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 58

Douglas javier wrote:
> Hello there, I'm starting with delphi, because I'm nedding a whole environment letting me to develop some apps for windows desktop environment, but reading since some time ago about the topic, I'm not clear at all which delphi version(xe2,xe3,xe4,xe5) would be the best( the more stable, reliable, with less bugs, smaller .exe compilation, in broad terms the one with better performance) for desktop developing, I'm not interested in mobile develop yet, just native windows developing. Guess most of my apps 
wi
> ll be the typical app with local database, use of 3rd components and access to remote mysql DBase systems, besides other things, guess.
>
> So any recommendation about what delphi flavor would the best fit here?
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply!
>
Unless you have a strong reason otherwise, you are always well advised 
to go with the current version. We are always making improvements - 
that's the nature of software, and you'll be missing out by not having 
the most current version. Also, should you find a defect, you would need 
the latest version for a fix.

I also strongly advise support and maintenance. It gets you access to 
all new versions in the next year and also provides 3 support incidents. 
To learn more about support and maintenance see: 
http://support.embarcadero.com/annual

It should also be noted that when you purchase XE5 you have access to 
previous versions if you need them. For details see: 
http://www.embarcadero.com/tw/products/delphi/previous-versions
0
quinn
11/8/2013 4:12:40 PM
> Unless you have a strong reason otherwise, you are always well advised 
> to go with the current version. 

Agreed. Being stuck on XE, XE2,XE3, or XE4 at this point would be stupid.

Frankly they're all pretty stable.  People will complain and pretend to have some idea what they're talking about, I suggest you disregard them all and do what makes sense; Track the latest version.   The last truly Terrible Delphi versions were Delphi 2005 and 2006.  Since then, 2007, 2009, 2010, XE, through XE5 have been pretty high quality releases.


Warren
0
Warren
11/9/2013 4:01:05 AM
Douglas


Couple of minor points that the other two have ignored:

1. You can only buy the latest version (I'd love someone to prove me wrong on this)
2. You need the Professional version as a minimum since you want database. That's assuming you use 3rd party components for db. If you want the built in database stuff then you need the next version up.

Once you've bought the latest version you have access to previous versions and then it becomes a matter of your choice. If you want unicode you need D2009 or later. Later versions include enhanced RTTI, 64 bit compilation and the latest cross compilation for other platforms (optional extras if you buy the Professional version) and FireMonkey.

Personally I'm still on D2006 (why do you think its so bad Warren?) and there are plenty on earlier versions.

Roy Lambert
0
Roy
11/9/2013 8:29:38 AM
"Roy Lambert" <roy@lybster.me.uk> wrote in message 
news:631702@forums.embarcadero.com...
>
> 2. You need the Professional version as a minimum since you want database. 
> That's assuming you use 3rd party components for db. If you want the built 
> in database stuff then you need the next version up.


Pro comes with the ADO ("dbGo") and IBX (Interbase) components. So you can 
still connect to a very wide variety of databases. It is missing only the 
remote dbExpress and FireDAC components which add more databases and easier 
multitier development.

-- 
Wayne Niddery (TeamB)
"You know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work? 
Medicine." - Tim Minchin
0
Wayne
11/9/2013 1:01:08 PM
Wayne

>Pro comes with the ADO ("dbGo") and IBX (Interbase) components. So you can
>still connect to a very wide variety of databases. It is missing only the
>remote dbExpress and FireDAC components which add more databases and easier
>multitier development.

I thought Emb had tried to alter the licence so that you weren't even allowed 3rd party db components let alone supplying any. I knew they'd backed off from that but I hadn't realised they'd added db components back in. Or is my memory slipping?

Roy
0
Roy
11/9/2013 4:48:59 PM
Roy Lambert wrote:
> Wayne
> 
>> Pro comes with the ADO ("dbGo") and IBX (Interbase) components. So you can
>> still connect to a very wide variety of databases. It is missing only the
>> remote dbExpress and FireDAC components which add more databases and easier
>> multitier development.
> 
> I thought Emb had tried to alter the licence so that you weren't even allowed 3rd party db components let alone supplying any. I knew they'd backed off from that but I hadn't realised they'd added db components back in. Or is my memory slipping?
> 
> Roy

The license for Pro has not changed since D2007 wrt what you can access with 
DBX.  The FireDAC licenses is the same as the DBX one for Pro.  ADO and IBX are 
not impacted nor are 3rd party components by the wording in the Pro license 
about remote DB access .

-- 
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
       (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor
I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die.
Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless
faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted  corridors of Whitehall.
              (Fish)
0
Jeff
11/9/2013 6:50:23 PM
> {quote:title=Roy Lambert wrote:}{quote}
> Douglas
> 
> 
> Couple of minor points that the other two have ignored:
> 
> 1. You can only buy the latest version (I'd love someone to prove me wrong on this)
> 2. You need the Professional version as a minimum since you want database. That's assuming you use 3rd party components for db. If you want the built in database stuff then you need the next version up.
> 
> Once you've bought the latest version you have access to previous versions and then it becomes a matter of your choice. If you want unicode you need D2009 or later. Later versions include enhanced RTTI, 64 bit compilation and the latest cross compilation for other platforms (optional extras if you buy the Professional version) and FireMonkey.
> 
> Personally I'm still on D2006 (why do you think its so bad Warren?) and there are plenty on earlier versions.
> 
> Roy Lambert
Correct me if I'm wrong but even the the Starter Edition can utilize BDE and IBExpress databases.
This requires the use of Components4Developers free CodeGear Edition if you send in an email specifying you are using it and for what purpose.
http://www.components4developers.com/

The Starter Editon however is for developers with sales of less than $1000 per year.

Norm
0
Norm
11/9/2013 11:24:54 PM
Norm Carlberg wrote:888
> Correct me if I'm wrong but even the the Starter Edition can utilize BDE and IBExpress databases.
> This requires the use of Components4Developers free CodeGear Edition if you send in an email specifying you are using it and for what purpose.
> http://www.components4developers.com/
> 
> The Starter Editon however is for developers with sales of less than $1000 per year.
> 
> Norm

Starter does not ship with TDataset TField and those classes so no components 
descending from them can be used in it.  Start also is not focused on under 
1000, it is focused at people learning to program.  If you look at the feature 
matrix and go down to DATABASE APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT AND CONNECTIVITY section 
you will see starter is not checked for anything.

-- 
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
       (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor
I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die.
Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless
faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted  corridors of Whitehall.
              (Fish)
0
Jeff
11/10/2013 5:08:31 AM
Thanks all of you for your recommendations and advices! I'll take all of them into account! bye!
0
Douglas
11/11/2013 4:34:01 PM
Roy Lambert wrote:
> 1. You can only buy the latest version (I'd love someone to prove me wrong on this)

If you ask sales really hard, they can give this to you. Why anyone 
would want it I don't understand, but some do. This because older 
versions cost the same, and newer versions give you access to older 
versions.
0
quinn
11/11/2013 10:26:05 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE: TBlobField to XML [Edit]
Hi, I'm migrating a Delphi7 application to Delphi XE. I'm using a TClientDataSet to communicate, by using a XML frame, with my server. In this TClientDataSet I'm using a TBlobField which is an array of 384 byte. The blobField is allocate by a code like this : {code} myStream : TStream; myStream := aClientDataSet.CreateBlobStream(myBlobField, bmwrite); vResult := myStream.Write(ArrayOf384Byte[0], length(ArrayOf384Byte)); //vResult = 384 => GooD ! (...) {code} For communicate with the server, we have to decode the Blobfield in XML before to sending it. We have...

Migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi XE 3! [Edit]
All, I am a Delphi developer working in an windows form application developed using Delphi 6. Now, we are planning to upgrade the development tool. Can anyone provide me information related to major roadblocks that we can face while migrating from Delphi 6 to Delphi XE 3? Should we migrate to Delphi XE 3 or any other preferred version of Delphi based on the fact that our target users will be using Windows 7 or Windows 8? Do we have any tools or utilities to migrate the source code from Delphi 6 to higher version of Delphi? Also, any suggestions related to best practices are welcome....

Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE Crystal BPL problem [Edit]
I am in the process of migrating our application from Delphi 2006 to Delphi XE and, for ease of use, I have both 2006 and XE installed on my development computer. I access Crystal Reports XI RDC in our application and so I rebuilt the BPL in XE in order to add the new package to XE. However, when I try to add the package to XE I get the error message: “Registration procedure, Craxddrt_tbl.Register in the package c:\Documents and Settings\All Uers\Documents\RADS Studio\8.0\BPL\Crystal.bpl raised exception class EFilerError: Component TDatabase can’t be registered by package crystal.bpl be...

multiple edit windows in delphi ide
Hi All, Like most developers I have a wide screen monitor and would like to keep two edtors open side by side. You can click New Edit Window and open files and adjust windows so the two files are side by side but it's tedious each time I open delphi. What I'd like to have is 1) Dockable edit windows so I can dock them side by side 2) Delphi remember the windows settngs when I open the project so it opens the two windows where I was before. Is there any way to do this? tia, Dave David Ninnes wrote: > Hi All, > > Like most developers I have a wide screen ...

Delphi Xe IDE error [Edit]
Hi, Getting the error: "Error in module : Declaration of class T_changeMeBack_s is missing or incorrect" when creating a new project as: New -> Other -> ActiveX Library Then adding New -> Other -> Active Form with the Include about box checked Project is created but the About1.pas file is not visible in the project manager (but a reference to it is found in the uses clause of the created unit and _TLB.pas files Edited by: mark buller on Nov 30, 2012 5:45 PM ...

ShowMessage/MessagDlg wordwrap Delphi 2006
Hi, I have used Delphi 2006 up to now. ShowMessage allowed a long text without a word wrapping. Now with Delphi XE I notice that a migrated program shows smaller message window sizes and a previously carefully aligned message now appears wrapped and misaligned. How to get back to the previous behaviour? I'm not experienced to create my custom form, so a code snippet may help. Thanks, Uli Edited by: Ulrich Brueggemann on Sep 18, 2010 8:46 AM > I have used Delphi 2006 up to now. > ShowMessage allowed a long text without a word wrapping. > > Now with Delphi ...

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE
Have been using Delphi 7 for many moons ( have got later versions but never upgraded to ) My first problem is: Component Palette. in XE it is a small toolbar docked in top right in Delphi 7 it gives a large view of all the components. I am struggling to be able to cope/access my components.in Delphi XE. Can I make the component pallette tool bar the same size as Delphi 7, or is there a fast way to view/choose all available components in XE, that I have not spotted yet? Kind Regards, Robert. Hi, What I know is that in Delphi 2010 and XE you can choose between t...

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010
Hello! I noticed that Embarcadero® Delphi® 2010 Version is not on the list of products on Embarcadero page. Or is it still possible to buy it? Will RAD Studio XE compile programs written in Delphi 2010 without problems.? Thanks. Am 13.09.2010 09:04, schrieb Petra Nemec: > Will RAD Studio XE compile programs written in Delphi 2010 without problems.? As always you will probably have to recreate the projects as the import is still a bit -- special. Christian Hello! Does anybody know if it is still possible to get a Delphi2010 trial version (if yes where)? ...

Delphi XE IDE code parser error ?!? [Edit]
After adding a IdUDPServer to my form and trying to put some code into the OnUDPRead event, I'm not able to add any component to my form at design time, nor can I run the application. here is the error i got: http://i54.tinypic.com/2j5jl0p.jpg i`ve asked about this on StackOverflow and Mike Justin suggested to +remove the +System.+ from +TArray<System.Byte>+ (in the interface and implementation)+, even so then OnUDPRead event doesn`t trigger. To test this i have made a simple app which uses 2 IdUDPServer comps, one to broadcast and one to Listen, works as expected in Delph...

Delphi XE: XMLDocument and windows-1250 encoding [Edit]
If I set XMLDocument.Encoding := 'windows-1250'; or XMLDocument.LoadFromXML('<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1250"?>') in Delphi 2007 - setting stays in Delphi XE - setting of encoding goes away (stays only <?xml version="1.0"?>) - only UTF-16 stays....... Why? I need another encoding for xfdf files. Thanks for Help. Henry Edited by: Jindrich Volek on Sep 30, 2010 1:45 AM On 30-Sep-10 01:46, Jindrich Volek wrote: > If I set > > XMLDocument.Encoding := 'windows-1250'; > or > XMLD...

Annoying window on IDE on debug desktop(Delphi 2010)
Hi, When I change my IDE desktop(with a loaded project) from default to Debug, a window is displayed at the top left of the IDE for about 1/4 of a second and then hides, I have tried to track down this window(Messages, Tool Palette, etc...) with no success , because is annoying the effect of just show and hide this window every time I debug an app. Anybody else have seen these behavior? Thanks in advance, Omar Zelaya > {quote:title=Omar Edgardo Zelaya Medrano wrote:}{quote} > When I change my IDE desktop(with a loaded project) from default to Debug, a > windo...

Best windows for delphi development under MacOS VM? [Edit]
Ive recently made the jump to a macbook pro so I can develop for both platforms on one box and was wondering from other peoples experience what version of windows (xp, vista, win7) is best to use in dual boot and VM for delphi development? Im thinking XP would have the lowest memory requirements but curious if there are any drawbacks to it or if others have advantages. Edited by: Dan Ridenhour on Jul 19, 2009 11:10 AM Dan Ridenhour a écrit : > Ive recently made the jump to a macbook pro so I can develop for both > platforms on one box and was wondering from other peoples...

Old delphi versions recommended 2007-XE [Edit]
Very Happy that I just got my new Delphi Pro XE2 and since I have access to old delphi versions, I want to know your opinion on which versions are recommended to download. Previously I only owned Delphi 7 Pro, so 2007-XE were not available to me. I read in some places that 2009 was deemed at some point the best delphi package ever. Should I go for that one only? Thanks. Edited by: charly saenz on Sep 30, 2011 11:32 AM charly saenz wrote: > I want to know your opinion on which versions are recommended to > download. Depends on the reason for wanting the previous versions. Wh...

Delphi XE DataSnap Development Essentials
Hi All, I've just published the first 143-page PDF edition of Delphi XE DataSnap Development Essentials at http://www.eBob42.com/courseware available for 99 Euro (plus 19% VAT where required), for which you also get the 290-page Delphi XE Development Essentials as a free bonus PDF. The first edition of the Delphi XE DataSnap Development courseware manual contains sections about: - DataSnap History and Example Data - DataSnap Server Targets (and Wizards) - DataSnap Security - DataSnap Server Components - DataSnap Server Deployment - DataSnap Clients - DataSnap and Datab...

Web resources about - WHICH Delphi XE version is the most stable for windows desktop development? [Edit] - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Agile Software Development - Better ways of developing software
- All things cross-platform, mobile, and mobile-web. Especially Qt/QML related - I love developing software, but also practice managing projects ...

Doha Development Round - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Doha Development Round or Doha Development Agenda ( DDA ) is the current trade-negotiation round of the World Trade Organization (WTO) which ...

Apple announces first iOS App Development Center coming to Europe
Apple this morning has announced its first iOS App Development Center for Europe. The facility will be located in Naples, Italy and offer a place ...

Interview with Ian Livingstone CBE: Gaming in VR and Development in the UK
... Kite at the time. As an industry we’re struggling to find enough computer programmers of a high enough quality for some of the games in development. ...

Apple to open first iOS App Development Center in Europe
Apple is set to open its first official facility focused on iOS app development in Europe. As announced by the company in a press release, the ...

Apple Opening Europe’s First iOS App Development Center in Italy
ROME — January 21, 2016 — Apple® today announced the creation of Europe’s first iOS App Development Center in Italy, to give students practical ...

China, Egypt Sign $15 Billion in Deals as Xi Touts Development
IBNLive China, Egypt Sign $15 Billion in Deals as Xi Touts Development Bloomberg China and Egypt signed $15 billion worth of agreements before ...

Apple is opening a European development centre to teach children to code
Apple is going to open its first iOS development centre in Europe, with the aim of teaching children and young adults how to code. In a press ...

MPEG LA Facilitating Development of Enhanced Voice Services Patent Pool License
MPEG LA announced today that in response to market demand, a number of companies responsible for developing the Enhanced Voice Services (EVS) ...

East Anglia Wind Farm Development Reveals Lost WWI Germany Submarine
Seabed scanning in preparation for wind farm development in the East Anglia Zone off the coast of Norfolk and Suffolk has revealed a Germany ...

Resources last updated: 1/22/2016 4:14:13 PM