Turbo Delphi and installing components...

I just donwload the free veriosn of Turbo Delphi, and when I try to install
my packages (tested with D6), it says I have no licence for that !

DH
0
David

> {quote:title=David HAROUCHE wrote:}{quote}
> I just donwload the free veriosn of Turbo Delphi, and when I try to install
> my packages (tested with D6), it says I have no licence for that !
>
> DH
You can't install custom components into the IDE in the free version of Turbo Delphi.  That's one of the major factors that differ it to Turbo Delphi Professional.

You can create components dynamically however.
0
Matthew
7/15/2009 3:18:07 AM
>> You can't install custom components into the IDE in the free version of
>> Turbo Delphi.  That's one of the major factors that differ it to Turbo
>> Delphi Professional.
Of course...

>> You can create components dynamically however.
So only the nice text editor of the IDE would be usable...?

DH
0
David
7/15/2009 11:27:12 AM
David HAROUCHE wrote:
> I just downloaded the free version of Turbo Delphi, and when I try to install
> my packages (tested with D6), it says I have no license for that !

They might have told you about this somewhere.

I was going to raz on you about that, then I looked here:

http://www.turboexplorer.com/article/33890/images/33890/turbo_delphi_feature_matrix.pdf

Since they don't sell 2006 era code anymore, and they don't relabel
Delphi 2009 as "Turbo Pro", their "Explorer versus Pro" document,
they redid the above document as a single column feature matrix which
has EIGHT PAGES of stupid pointless details on "what Explorer will do",
without the all-important "what explorer won't do" list, which is really
what they should have written in this document.

"Can't install components?". The only useful place you could have
possibly found this information doesn't contain it.

Wow Codegear?   Take that worthless PDF down.  Replace it with a real
explanation:

"Explorer is a free version of the crappy 2006 IDE, that you should
probably not use for any real work, and in fact, the license prohibits
commercial use, and also, you can't install components, and the thing
crashes easily and uses up memory and makes you think we can't write IDE
products properly, which actually in 2006, was true. But we've learned
our lesson now. So download the trial version of Delphi 2009 instead
please, and form a better opinion of our new improved Delphi IDE which
is actually quite pleasant to use right not, unlike Turbo Explorer,
which used to be one of two different Turbo editions, one of which was
mercifully killed.  This one is on life support, and we would pull it
off the internet if we didn't fear the amount of whinging we'd hear from
some people if we did."

Warren
0
Warren
7/15/2009 1:36:31 PM
The editor is very well done, indeed !

DH
0
David
7/15/2009 1:55:26 PM
Hello,

Warren Postma wrote:

> and in fact, the license prohibits commercial use

who says that?

--
Moritz

"Hey, it compiles! Ship it!"
0
Moritz
7/15/2009 1:58:09 PM
> {quote:title=Warren Postma wrote:}{quote}
> "Explorer is a free version of the crappy 2006 IDE, that you should
> probably not use for any real work, and in fact, the license prohibits
> commercial use, and also, you can't install components, and the thing

Wrong. Nothing in the license prohibits commercial use, and the inability to install components into the IDE was documented and widely publicized when the Turbo product was released.

Warren, we're all aware that you love to bash Delphi and CG, but you could at least do so without posting outright lies and misinformation.

> crashes easily and uses up memory and makes you think we can't write IDE
> products properly, which actually in 2006, was true. But we've learned

No, it doesn't. But nice try.

You are right in that it was an earlier version of the current IDE and therefore was still undergoing changes. But it wasn't as bad as you're trying to make it sound. Of course, when you're making up your misinformation as you do, accuracy would be your enemy, wouldn't it?

> off the internet if we didn't fear the amount of whinging we'd hear from
> some people if we did."

Chief "whinger" Warren says so, so it must be true. Not.

If you dislike CG and Delphi so much, go away and quit wasting everyone's time. No one is interested in your FUD.
0
Ken
7/15/2009 2:04:18 PM
Warren

Now be fair it does state

Delphi 1 through 2005 VCL project import into Turbo Delphi VCL Projects (does not include external 3rd party
components)

Roy Lambert
0
Roy
7/15/2009 2:06:49 PM
Hello,

Ken White wrote:

> Warren, we're all aware that you love to bash Delphi and CG

I'm not. I view his comment as the exaggerated but understandable
statement of someone who invested lots of hours for the Delphi
community and sometimes is a bit disappointed.

> but you could at least do so without posting outright lies and
> misinformation.

Not sure how you justify your accusation of "lying".

> No, it doesn't. But nice try.

Opinions diverge on this. Delphi 2006 definitely had its share of
trouble.

> You are right in that it was an earlier version of the current IDE
> and therefore was still undergoing changes.

"Still undergoing changes" is, IMHO, a shameless euphemism for the
deficits of the early incarnations of the Galileo IDE. I guess you
could call Delphi 2005 "fairly stable" without blushing.

> If you dislike CG and Delphi so much, go away and quit wasting
> everyone's time. No one is interested in your FUD.

I for one am very happy about Warren's contributions to the JVCL, which
is quite relevant for the Delphi community, IMHO. But then, we're all
aware that you love to bash CG's critics.

--
Moritz

"Hey, it compiles! Ship it!"
0
Moritz
7/15/2009 2:46:09 PM
Moritz Beutel <Moritz Beutel wrote:
> I'm not. I view his comment as the exaggerated but understandable
> statement of someone who invested lots of hours for the Delphi
> community and sometimes is a bit disappointed.

I'm a 100% die-hard delphi fan.

2006 almost killed me.

But I'm still here.

:-)

Warren
7/15/2009 2:50:08 PM
Roy Lambert wrote:
> Warren
>

> Now be fair it does state
>
> Delphi 1 through 2005 VCL project import into Turbo Delphi VCL Projects (does not include external 3rd party
> components)

That Takes the Cake for most obscure sideways reference (within 8 pages
of rambling pointless PDF text) to what should have been a one paragraph
summary of "here be the sad remains of the mostly failed bid to bring
back the venerable Turbo brand name".

:-)

Warren
0
Warren
7/15/2009 2:51:40 PM
Warren

I just couldn't resist looking at the link you posted and then I found that bit. Personally, and being truthful my interpretation was not that you couldn't install components but rather that it had versions of the normal standard components built in. I just couldn't resist the wind up - sorry.

Like yourself I'm a D2006 sufferer. I've learnt to live with its foibles (different on my installation to other peoples) and I'm stuck because I refuse to go through the pain of converting to unicode.

Roy Lambert
0
Roy
7/15/2009 6:03:29 PM
Roy Lambert wrote:
> Like yourself I'm a D2006 sufferer. I've learnt to live with its foibles (different on my installation to other peoples) and I'm stuck because I refuse to go through the pain of converting to unicode.

This just might be causing yourself more pain than you're avoiding.

I am now using only 2009. I ran 2007 before that, and my attempts to use
2006 ended in so much pain and frustration that I reverted to Delphi 7,
and all attempts to get me to use 2005 lead only in pain, laughter, or
screaming.  So 2005, and 2006 are versions I'm trying very hard to
forget ever existed.  2007 was very stable, but with a few glitches.
2009 is the best version EVER.  So I have huge hope for the future.

Warren
0
Warren
7/15/2009 7:35:06 PM
Warren Postma wrote:
> Roy Lambert wrote:
>
>> Warren
>>

>> Now be fair it does state
>>
>> Delphi 1 through 2005 VCL project import into Turbo Delphi VCL Projects (does not include external 3rd party
>> components)
>>

> That Takes the Cake for most obscure sideways reference (within 8 pages
> of rambling pointless PDF text) to what should have been a one paragraph
> summary of "here be the sad remains of the mostly failed bid to bring
> back the venerable Turbo brand name".
>
> :-)
>
> Warren

I saw the limitation when I downloaded Turbo 2006,  it was very clear -
- - - a couple of years ago - - - -
and why in the world would you expect a free version to be completely
fully featured?   If it was - - would they have been
able to sell the other version - - - - - think about it - - - - -

What surprised was the license limit - - - saw it and went what the - -
- limited time only and then went - - OK good for
10 years and then went - - uh the license has a limit of 100 years - - -
more than enough - - - and did quite a bit of work
on Turbo 2006 for upgrading to 2009.   and my 13 year old God Son is
truly enjoying programming in Delphi
and after a bit of time and cussing and finally catching on to the
delphi way - - - he was able to program in C and VB before I got him to
delphi and would cuss that he would do a couple of pages of code and
then realize the delphi way reduced all of his work to only a dozen
lines - - -

he read a book that I gave him on Learning Delphi before he got started
- - - to page about 500 of a 1000 page book and then got started - - -
and looking over his code he has caught me by surprise in terms of some
of the things that he was doing - - I asked him about it and said the
book showed him - - - - -

and has found Delphi great compared to - - -

just as I have - - - - - and done a lot of work in Delphi - - - - so
feel that lots of the delphi bashing is out of line - - -
maybe not perfect but what language is - - - C has it limitations - - -
so does C++, and so does VB and others - - -
that is normal - - - - over all Delphi allows me to code faster and
debug quickly - - - -

without the little aspects of C that you have to watch out for - - - as
a language that has grown by creeping features and
things added - - -

VB is controlled by MS - - and their concept - - -

Delphi responds to customer input and evolves with that in mind - - -
and is not frozen like a standard language that takes committees to
decide upon the next version or enchancements -  5 plus years later - -
- - -

Just one man's comments
0
Jim

Can I safely install Turbo Delphi 2006 .NET on top of Delphi 2005 (Win 32)
I have a Delphi 2005 Win32 installation. When I originally installed it I had no need for the .NET Framework. Now I would like to learn the .NET framework. Going back to the Delphi 2005 install disk and trying to install the . NET Framework has not been succesful. Can I install the Turbo Delphi 2006 .NET Framework and have it co-exist nicely with my existing Delphi 2005 Win32 system? Thank you. ...

Turbo Delphi IDE bug ?
in Delphi 7 will be notified if source modified from outside delphi IDE or by another user but in Turbo Dephi not happen. Is Turbo Delphi bug ? sorry my english bad Imam Chalimi Malang, Indonesia ...

Delphi Compatible Installation Component
I am looking for a "delphi compatible" installation component. This means one which I can compile in delphi and create an installation like "setup.exe" or "setup.msi" All systems I see, have their own scripting of use VB scripting or macros. What I need, is one that is completely compilable with in Delphi. Does anyone know of one? Robert wrote: > Does anyone know of one? I have never seen any third-party installation tool that allows you to create install scripts from within Delphi itself. They are always used externally. Creating an i...

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Installing Delphi Component Package
I have component package that is written in Delphi and for C++ Builder XE. The supplier provided install instructions, but it will not install. When I select Build/Install a file called "pasall.tmp" is created in one of the source folders. The IDE then reports this error, and opens the file in the IDE [DCC Fatal Error] pasall.tmp(1): F1027 Unit not found: 'System.pas' or binary equivalents (.dcu) This is the contents of the *.groupproj file that I am opening. Is there something wrong with it ? Ray. {code}  <Project xmlns="http://sc...

DesignIDE package and porting Delphi 7 components to Delphi XE2
HI I am porting components from Delphi7 to Delphi XE2, and started run in problems regarding MaskProp.dcu, some of the components uses this, and is looking for TMaskProperty class. After a lot of browsing on the net i figured out that all these units is packaged in the designide.dcp. So i have the design time component in a package that requires the designide.dcp and then the runtime component package that reguires the designtime package for the component. In the runtime component package i get errors regarding the MaskProp.dcu and the TMaskProperty class. I dont know what to do from ...

How to install Delphi component in C++ personality
I have a number of custom components written in Delphi. I can install these for use in the Delphi personality easily enough. How do I install them into the C++ personality? "Stephen Boyd" <steve.boyd@amtelecom.net> wrote in message news:17429@forums.codegear.com... > I have a number of custom components written in Delphi. I > can install these for use in the Delphi personality easily enough. > How do I install them into the C++ personality? Make sure the "Generate all C++ files" option is enabled in the Project Options for the package, an...

Installing Components Problem Delphi 2009
Hello, I´am trying to install some Thirdy Party Components in Delphi 2009 but I´am having trouble with the location. When I build the Package they go to another folder,my old delphi 2007 folder, and on the one that I choose. I aredy configureted the Path for BPL,DCUs and DCPs but this componentes don´t go follow it.I mean, I can build my old projects fine, but thoose ones no[ o.0 ]. Some information: on the "Target Core Compile:" there is a line who contains: -LE"C:\Delphi2007"(my old folder for delphi) -Le"c:\Delphi2007" -No"C:\Temp&quo...

Trouble installing components on Delphi 2009
Hi, I am using Delphi 2009. Components that I managed to install under XP - JVCL, Zeos and EhLib - don't want to install on my new Windows 7 environment. Is this a common problem? Does it go away with Delphi 2010? (I have downloaded the 30-day trial, but that doesn't do command lines). TIA -- Mark Patterson www.piedsoftware.com > {quote:title=Mark Patterson wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > I am using Delphi 2009. Components that I managed to install under XP - JVCL, Zeos and EhLib - don't want to install on my new Windows 7 environment. Is this a common proble...

Web resources about - Turbo Delphi and installing components... - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper