Problem with Delphi 6 to Delphi 7 upgrade

I have just purchased Delphi XE because I have an immediate need of D7 which came for free with XE.  I downloaded and installed D7 and I think I applied the Update 1 that I had also downloaded.  After much messing around with old components, I have finally attempted to compile my D6 project with D7.  I get the following error:-

[Fatal Error] apm.dpr(225): Unit ExtDlgs was compiled with a different version of ExtCtrls.TPanel

I have checked the library paths all point to D7 versions of everything and now am at a loss to know what to do next.  Also checked the sequence
to make sure that all the $(DELPHI) entries come at the front ...

$(DELPHI)\Lib;$(DELPHI)\Bin;$(DELPHI)\Imports;$(DELPHI)\Projects\Bpl;$(DELPHI)\Rave5\Lib;c:\delphi\components\delphi 7\ace\d7;C:\Delphi\COMPON~1\JEDI\jcl\lib\d7;C:\Delphi\Components\JEDI\jcl\source\include;C:\Delphi\Components\JEDI\jvcl\lib\D7;C:\Delphi\Components\JEDI\jvcl\common;C:\Delphi\Components\JEDI\jvcl\Resources;c:\delphi\components\delphi 7\edocengine vcl\lib\d7;C:\Program Files\Gnostice\eDocEngine VCL\Lib\D7;C:\Program Files\Gnostice\Shared\Lib\D7;c:\program files\madcollection\d7\madbasic\delp
hi 7;c:\program files\madcollection\d7\maddisasm\delphi 7;c:\program files\madcollection\d7\madexcept\delphi 7

The reason I said that "I think" I installed Update 1 is that it didn't behave like the installation instructions.  I expected it to ask for serial numbers or something, but it just cruised on through error messages.  The About screen now says "Delphi 7 Professional Version 7.0 Build 8.1" - I would have expected it to say "7.1" ...

The instructions on the website said ...
===============
* You will need the original Delphi 7 installation CD available
to install this update.
===============
.... which I was worried about as I had a download product and thus no CD.

If you are wondering why I am messing around with D7 ...

I'm running Delphi 6 at present and I need to upgrade my ICS components to v7 which need a minimum of Delphi 7 BUT I am also running DBISAM3 which won't run on any later version than Delphi 7.  In order to do a quick upgrade I need to move to D7 first - leaving a major overhaul of component sets until I have time to do a proper job.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction - maybe one of you had the same problem in the dim and distant past!  I have searched these forums too but though I can see some people did ask similar questions, I can' see any answers - maybe I'll be more lucky.

Cheers

Jeff
0
Jeff

Jeff Cook wrote:

> I have just purchased Delphi XE because I have an immediate need of
> D7 which came for free with XE.  I downloaded and installed D7 and I
> think I applied the Update 1 that I had also downloaded.

That should not have been necessary, I think the D7 version you get
with the XE license *is* update 1.

> After much
> messing around with old components, I have finally attempted to
> compile my D6 project with D7.  I get the following error:-
>
> [Fatal Error] apm.dpr(225): Unit ExtDlgs was compiled with a
> different version of ExtCtrls.TPanel

You have either old D6 DCUs or D6 or D7 RTL/VLC source files on your
library path or the project search path. Remove these path entries.
Also check the project manager view (or the DPR file source) to make
sure you did not actually *add* a RTL or VCL unit explicitely to the D6
project. Delete all non-source files for the D6 project (especially
dcu, dsk, cfg), open the dpr file in D7, check the project options and
modify them, if needed, then try a build of the project.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
use the newsgroup archives :

There was a copy of ExtCtrls.pas in my project source folder.  How that got there I have no idea - must have happened a while ago ...

Anyway, deleting that and fixing up a few library paths and I have a compiled application that apparently works!

Thank you so much.  I can't count the number times your posts have helped me over the last ten or so years.  As we say in New Zealand "Good on yer, Peter"

Cheers

Jeff
0
Jeff
12/14/2010 10:34:40 PM
Jeff Cook wrote:

> There was a copy of ExtCtrls.pas in my project source folder.  How
> that got there I have no idea - must have happened a while ago ...

I my experience that's a result of someone making custom changes to a
VCL source file.  You might consider comparing the ExtCtrls.pas that
you just deleted to the original D6 version to make sure they were the
same.

--
-Mike (TeamB)
0

In this case I've been the sole developer, so I doubt that I'd have amended ExtCtrl.pas - not the sort of thing I do and if I did I think I would have remembered.

I will check tho as with advancing senility who knows what I might have done yesterday!

Cheers

Jeff
0
Jeff

Problem upgrading web service client from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE
In trying to upgrade our web service client to Delphi XE we have now get a web service error of Invalid Format. When we examine the SOAP request we see the following differences from Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE In Delphi 7 we get <SomeStuff xmlns="" xsi:nil="true" /> In Delphi XE we get <SomeStuff xsi:nil="true" /> We have narrowed the failure down to these differences in the client request. Is there anyway to get Delphi XE to generate a SOAP request with the xmlns attribute set to blank as it used to be? Hello, > In trying to u...

Language like Delphi 6 or Delphi 7
Hi I like to make application what will connect to web services(SOAP or REST) and send data to server via HTTPS. I have previous experience with Delphi 6 and Delphi 7.I know that language in Delphi 2009 is changed. Which is the last Delhi(Delphi 2005, Delphi 2009) what have the languages like Delphi 6 or Delphi 7. Additional ,which edition(home,professional ,architect) I should use if i like to achieve my task? Pero perov wrote: > I know that language in Delphi 2009 is changed. That is not true. > Which is the last Delhi(Delphi 2005, Delphi 2009) what > have the lan...

Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010 upgrade and ADO

Upgrad to Delphi 2010 Enterprise from Delphi 6 Enterprise
Hi, Is it possible to use the upgrade offer when upgrading to "Delphi 2010 Enterprise" from "Delphi 6 Enterprise" ? I can find a lot of different examples on upgrades.... but not this one ;-( Why is the price in the Nordic region higher than if I was buying in US? (40% off....) I've tried to registre my "Delphi 6" in order to reveive the Promo offer key, but I can't registre. Why is this ? Best regards Nils Unfortunately Embarcadero has changed the upgrading rules since February 1st. You can see it at http://www.embarcadero.com/upgrade...

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 5 to Delphi 6 and up

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

Upgrade from Delphi 5 and Delphi XE: Variant and SysUtils unit problems.
Hi. I am a newbie to Delhi XE. I have just taken on the task of converting my stuff from Delphi 5 [sic] to Delphi XE. The first errors I got was "Variants unit out of data or corrupted" and "symbol deprecated" in SysUtils I hope I can fix the problem by simply pointing to the "up-to-date" units. I am also wondering wether I will not have to switch to Unicode, since the errors seem to be string related (not that I know what changing to Unicode entails). Any help? Marcus > {quote:title=Marcus de Bruin wrote:}{quote} > Hi. > > I...

Does anyone know if Delphi 8 Pro Upgrade (HDB1380WWCS181) contains Delphi 7?
Hello Delphi Community, Does anyone know if Delphi 8 Pro Upgrade (HDB1380WWCS181) contains Delphi 7? Thank you, Dean Atteberry. Dean Atteberry wrote: > Does anyone know if Delphi 8 Pro Upgrade (HDB1380WWCS181) contains Delphi 7? Unlikely - my Delphi 8 Architect Upgrade did not. Eric > {quote:title=Dean Atteberry wrote:}{quote} > Does anyone know if Delphi 8 Pro Upgrade (HDB1380WWCS181) contains Delphi 7? It did when it was originally released (actually, Delphi 7.1). I don't know if it still does, however. (The only reason we bought Delphi 8 was that we n...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Web resources about - Problem with Delphi 6 to Delphi 7 upgrade - embarcadero.delphi.ide

'Deported' from Pakistan: Dean Jones says visa problem was 'my fault'
When the former Test batsman turned up at Islamabad airport at the weekend he didn't count on his arrival becoming an international incident. ...

Where will ISIS attack next? Christmas travel a problem for intelligence agencies
IT’S that time of year when we let our guards down, when we relax and look forward to spending time with our loved ones over the festive break. ...

China's Shenzhen ignored warnings of waste problem a year before landslide disaster
A government official warned a year ago that China's boomtown Shenzhen would run out of space to dump building waste. On Sunday his worst fears ...

Dot-Sucks Domain Name Not Our Problem, Ottawa Says 2
The Canadian government has washed its hands of the "dot-sucks" controversy, as the new internet domain name begins to take root beside the more ...

Lawler: "Yes, Houston will have a problem next year"
Some thoughts on the Houston housing market from housing economist Tom Lawler: Earlier this week I sent out a message with a link to the Houston ...

Court secrecy is a dangerous problem
Recently unveiled documents in the Remington faulty-trigger case show court secrecy can lead to unnecessary deaths, says Arthur Bryant.

Yesterday’s technologies, today’s problems
When I first heard the story, I didn’t believe it. I mean, really, a Paris airport forced to shut down because a computer running Windows 3.1 ...

Michael Moore Reveals European Solutions To American Problems
... that we as Americans should also enjoy: free (University) education, child care, maternity leave, paid vacation, health care for all. Problems ...

KORWIN: America’s Real Gun Problem – The Gun Myths
We deal with serial myths instead of the real issues, and the media keeps us misinformed - let's debunk right now