Missing tooltips/hints in Delphi 2007 IDE and Application

Hi everybody,

In Delphi 2007, I am missing toolip hints. When I try to debug it also doesn't show me the tooltips when I hover above variables. At runtime, buttons and other components do not show the hint text.

Of course, the hint property is filled and showhint is True.

I am having this problem for a while now, so restarting delphi / rebooting system is not the sollution.

Does anybody have a suggestion maybe??

Kind regards,

Roger Hoen
0
Roger

Roger Hoen wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> In Delphi 2007, I am missing toolip hints. When I try to debug it
> also doesn't show me the tooltips when I hover above variables. At
> runtime, buttons and other components do not show the hint text.
>
> Of course, the hint property is filled and showhint is True.
>
> I am having this problem for a while now, so restarting delphi /
> rebooting system is not the sollution.
>
> Does anybody have a suggestion maybe??

If you have not done that for a time: reboot your computer. What you
see is a Windows problem (XP specific as far as I know), the effect is
that the tooltips come up beneath the window they are supposed to
appear above on. Whenever my XP gets into this state it also affects
the tooltips for the taskbar buttons, for example. A reboot has always
fixed it for me. Fortunately it is quite rare and I have in fact not
seen it for several month now.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
use the newsgroup archives :

Like I said in my message: I have this problem for quite a while, so I reboot every day? Sorry but it isn't the solution for me...

Regards,
Roger

> {quote:title=Peter Below wrote:}{quote}
> Roger Hoen wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > In Delphi 2007, I am missing toolip hints. When I try to debug it
> > also doesn't show me the tooltips when I hover above variables. At
> > runtime, buttons and other components do not show the hint text.
> >
> > Of course, the hint property is filled and showhint is True.
> >
> > I am having this problem for a while now, so restarting delphi /
> > rebooting system is not the sollution.
> >
> > Does anybody have a suggestion maybe??
>
> If you have not done that for a time: reboot your computer. What you
> see is a Windows problem (XP specific as far as I know), the effect is
> that the tooltips come up beneath the window they are supposed to
> appear above on. Whenever my XP gets into this state it also affects
> the tooltips for the taskbar buttons, for example. A reboot has always
> fixed it for me. Fortunately it is quite rare and I have in fact not
> seen it for several month now.
>
> --
> Peter Below (TeamB)
> Don't be a vampire (http://slash7.com/pages/vampires),
> use the newsgroup archives :
> http://www.tamaracka.com/search.htm
> http://groups.google.com
0
Roger
12/3/2008 10:22:08 AM
On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:19:52 +0200, Roger Hoen  wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> In Delphi 2007, I am missing toolip hints. When I try to debug it also
> doesn't show me the tooltips when I hover above variables. At runtime,
> buttons and other components do not show the hint text.

As strange as it may sound, I once had this exact problem and the cause
was a particular version of a Lexmark printer driver.  I reproducibly
tested it by several iterations of installing and uninstalling the
drivers.   It took a while to figure out.  Others have reported similar
weirdness with Logitech web-cams, but that was not my case so I don't
remember whether the symptoms of those problems were also missing debugger
popup hints or not.  But you can do a search for it in the groups.
0
Caleb
12/3/2008 10:31:29 AM
Hmmmmm Indeed I have a Logitech Webcam... In the Registry, HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ there is a program LVCOMSX, which is loaded each time. I'll try to delete it.

However, I found a (really strange) workaround:

In the FormCreate, just set the following 2 lines:

Application.ShowHints := False;
Application.ShowHints := True;

This seemed to trigger these hints. Than I remarked these two lines again:
//Application.ShowHints := False;
//Application.ShowHints := True;

.... and it still keeps working, also after rebooting my system??

So I don't know why, but it is fixed.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Roger Hoen

> {quote:title=Caleb Hattingh wrote:}{quote}
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:19:52 +0200, Roger Hoen  wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > In Delphi 2007, I am missing toolip hints. When I try to debug it also
> > doesn't show me the tooltips when I hover above variables. At runtime,
> > buttons and other components do not show the hint text.
>
> As strange as it may sound, I once had this exact problem and the cause
> was a particular version of a Lexmark printer driver.  I reproducibly
> tested it by several iterations of installing and uninstalling the
> drivers.   It took a while to figure out.  Others have reported similar
> weirdness with Logitech web-cams, but that was not my case so I don't
> remember whether the symptoms of those problems were also missing debugger
> popup hints or not.  But you can do a search for it in the groups.
0
Roger
12/3/2008 10:48:04 AM
Peter,

| Fortunately it is quite rare and I have in fact not
| seen it for several month now.

Have you been doing the MS Updates?  I also have not seen the problem
for quite a while now.  I am presently making an assumption that it may
have gotten "fixed," either on-purpose or incidently, with an update.
(I don't bother to find or read the published update notes. <g>)

12/03/2008 08:49:02

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everyone's & Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
12/3/2008 4:53:14 PM
Quentin Correll wrote:

> Peter,
>
> >  Fortunately it is quite rare and I have in fact not
> >  seen it for several month now.
>
> Have you been doing the MS Updates?

Yes, the automatic updates are enabled on my PC.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
use the newsgroup archives :
http://www.tamaracka.com/search.htm
http://groups.google.com
0
Peter
12/3/2008 5:21:47 PM
Peter,

| |  Have you been doing the MS Updates?
|
| Yes, the automatic updates are enabled on my PC.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. <g>

12/04/2008 10:16:08

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everyone's & Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
12/4/2008 6:17:48 PM
Maybe the Showhints state got streamed to the dfm oddly.

I have seen properties where I made a choice (for instance in an event
handler) and then decided I didn't want an event handler.  So I deleted the
on event handler property and instead of clearing it from the dfm, it STORED
a NIL event handler.  This caused problems with a descendent form.

Anyway, my explicitly coding the property, you have forced the DFM to be
rewritten (perhaps now correctly).

"Roger Hoen" wrote in message news:50576@forums.codegear.com...
> Hmmmmm Indeed I have a Logitech Webcam... In the Registry,
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ there is a program
> LVCOMSX, which is loaded each time. I'll try to delete it.
>
> However, I found a (really strange) workaround:
>
> In the FormCreate, just set the following 2 lines:
>
> Application.ShowHints := False;
> Application.ShowHints := True;
>
> This seemed to trigger these hints. Than I remarked these two lines again:
> //Application.ShowHints := False;
> //Application.ShowHints := True;
>
> ... and it still keeps working, also after rebooting my system??
>
> So I don't know why, but it is fixed.
>
> Thank you all for your suggestions.
>
> Roger Hoen
>

>> {quote:title=Caleb Hattingh wrote:}{quote}
>> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:19:52 +0200, Roger Hoen  wrote:
>>
>> > Hi everybody,
>> >
>> > In Delphi 2007, I am missing toolip hints. When I try to debug it also
>> > doesn't show me the tooltips when I hover above variables. At runtime,
>> > buttons and other components do not show the hint text.
>>
>> As strange as it may sound, I once had this exact problem and the cause
>> was a particular version of a Lexmark printer driver.  I reproducibly
>> tested it by several iterations of installing and uninstalling the
>> drivers.   It took a while to figure out.  Others have reported similar
>> weirdness with Logitech web-cams, but that was not my case so I don't
>> remember whether the symptoms of those problems were also missing
>> debugger
>> popup hints or not.  But you can do a search for it in the groups.
0
Mark
12/15/2008 9:38:17 PM
I found out that on my computer, the Dell computer application "Dell Dock" was keeping hints from showing up in Delphi 7, Delphi 2009 and my Delphi applications. As soon as I shut down the Dell Dock application, hints show up again.

> {quote:title=Mark Tiede wrote:}{quote}
> Maybe the Showhints state got streamed to the dfm oddly.
>
> I have seen properties where I made a choice (for instance in an event
> handler) and then decided I didn't want an event handler.  So I deleted the
> on event handler property and instead of clearing it from the dfm, it STORED
> a NIL event handler.  This caused problems with a descendent form.
>
> Anyway, my explicitly coding the property, you have forced the DFM to be
> rewritten (perhaps now correctly).
>

> "Roger Hoen" wrote in message news:50576@forums.codegear.com...
> > Hmmmmm Indeed I have a Logitech Webcam... In the Registry,
> > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ there is a program
> > LVCOMSX, which is loaded each time. I'll try to delete it.
> >
> > However, I found a (really strange) workaround:
> >
> > In the FormCreate, just set the following 2 lines:
> >
> > Application.ShowHints := False;
> > Application.ShowHints := True;
> >
> > This seemed to trigger these hints. Than I remarked these two lines again:
> > //Application.ShowHints := False;
> > //Application.ShowHints := True;
> >
> > ... and it still keeps working, also after rebooting my system??
> >
> > So I don't know why, but it is fixed.
> >
> > Thank you all for your suggestions.
> >
> > Roger Hoen
> >

> >> {quote:title=Caleb Hattingh wrote:}{quote}

> >> As strange as it may sound, I once had this exact problem and the cause
> >> was a particular version of a Lexmark printer driver.  I reproducibly
> >> tested it by several iterations of installing and uninstalling the
> >> drivers.   It took a while to figure out.  Others have reported similar
> >> weirdness with Logitech web-cams, but that was not my case so I don't
> >> remember whether the symptoms of those problems were also missing
> >> debugger
> >> popup hints or not.  But you can do a search for it in the groups.
0
Paul
1/28/2009 2:32:58 PM
I wanted to confirm for anyone who is searching that Dell Dock (at least the current version) most certainly "eats" Delphi application hint windows.  I found a workaround: Add Application.HintPause := 100 to your main form OnCreate event handler.  For whatever reason, longer values (like 500) cause Dell Dock to eat the hint window.
0
Brandon

VS ide / delphi ide key map

netfiledir in IDE Delphi 2007
Hi All I am running D2007 on vista with paradox tables via the BDE. (I know - can't live with it and can't shoot it). In BDEADMIN I have changed the Netfiledir to C:\TEMP and my app changes the netfiledir in code so it works fine BUT When I try to open a query in the ide in design-time I get the permission denied error writing C:\PDOXUSRS.NET Why does Delphi ignore the BDEADMIN setting or where can I change the default for the IDE? Thanks Tony "Tony Christiansen" <tony@adegroup.com.au> wrote in message news:202121@forums.codegear.com... > Hi ...

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

Hi, I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. Thanks.. Mehmet Fide wrote: > Hi, > > I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax > highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. > > > Thanks.. See "RAD Studio 2010 vs. Visual Studio 2010" in non-technical group. -- Warm Regards, Lee ...

Delphi IDEs
Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 and later versions of Delphi? Pier Pier wrote: > Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? iOS support was added in XE4. Android support was added in Delphi XE5. > Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 an...

Delphi 2007 IDE freezing randomly
Often I will do a build all, get an error, and before I can even right click on that line to save the error message the IDE starts building again, so the message is lost, scrolling up out of view. I am reduced to doing a print screen to capture the error message. I also keep a good book nearby to read whilst I await the return of the IDE. It seems like the IDE has a bad case of ADHD and will only reply to my clicks when it's good and ready. Has anybody else seen this problem? I am using Windows 7 and quietly going nuts fighting this problem. The phrase "background compilation&...

Opendialog crashes while running in IDE (delphi 2007)
Opendialog has started crashing while running in IDE. A new app with just a button and an opendialog will do it. It works fine when running the app outside the IDE. The old style dialog box is displayed. The crash always happens if I click the dropdown, which causes a bunch of DLLs to be loaded. I have done a complete scan with Bitdefender but it found nothing. The event log shows a string of errors like this: Debug Output: *** EXCEPTION *** Exception Information: Code = 0xC0000005 Address = 0x00000000 Exception caught at: File = ptstrwide.c Line = 2098 Process TestDialogBug...

Is delphi xe4 IDE 32 bit application?
Hi, I am trying to install a BPL compiled with win64 platform into DELPHI XE4 IDE. It is throwing an error "it is not a valid win32 application". is it means that DELPHI XE4 IDE is 32 bit application? if so , is it available in WIN64 too? thanks sudheer "Sudheer Bondalapati" wrote in message news:615522@forums.embarcadero.com... > > I am trying to install a BPL compiled with win64 platform into DELPHI XE4 > IDE. It is throwing an error "it is not a valid win32 application". > > is it means that DELPHI XE4 IDE is 32 bit appl...

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Application object in Delphi 2009 and Structure pane in IDE
Hi, my "old" application from BDS 2006 compiles without errors in D2009, but the IDE shows me in the "structure" pane several errors. All of them are connected with the Application object. Here they are: Form1.Caption := Application.Title; //undeclared identifier AFolder := ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName); //AFolder is a string // //undeclared identifier Application.ProcessMessages; //undeclared identifier if Application.Terminated then Exit; //expression type must be Boolean Maybe the "structure" pane still has some errors? Code Insight shows fo...

modifying Delphi 2007 IDE editor auto complete
Is there an easy way to alter the way that the IDE editor auto complete works? For example, can I change "if" to "IF", or change the indent of the associated "END"?? Is there a FAQ or other documentation about this? Thanks! Jon jon bondy wrote: > Is there an easy way to alter the way that the IDE editor > auto complete works? For example, can I change "if" to > "IF", or change the indent of the associated "END"?? Is > there a FAQ or other documentation about this? See code Insight and Code Templates in...

Web resources about - Missing tooltips/hints in Delphi 2007 IDE and Application - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Pre-Christmas job application rush hits Australian public service
Speed required for pre-Christmas job window opening for public servants. Check out who is hiring.

Cloud application adoption increases 71 percent in 2015
The adoption of cloud applications is soaring, up by 71 percent in the last year according to the results of a new survey. The latest Cloud ...

Tashfeen Malik's visa application under scrutiny - Business Insider Deutschland
The US government has released the visa application for Tashfeen Malik, who along with her husband killed 14 people in an attack in San Bernardino, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 37% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance, Purchase Applications Both Up in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 7.3 percent from one week ...

German-Based Spirea Promotes Decentralized PV Applications In Uruguay
... Its technical operations specialist, Laurie Lawrence, pointed out that Uruguay [&hellip German-Based Spirea Promotes Decentralized PV Applications ...

Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released
CNN Visa application of San Bernardino shooter released CNN (CNN) The visa application of one of the San Bernardino shooters was released ...

ZTE to develop smartphone application processors in house
ZTE has stepped up its efforts to internally develop smartphone chipset solutions, aiming to re-capture the title as one of the top-three smartphone ...

Pre-K Applications Begin Jan 25, a Month Earlier Than Last Year, City Says
The DOE has moved the process up to Jan. 25 on the heels of a similar schedule shift for kindergarten. MANHATTAN — The application period for ...

NASA accepting applications for the position of 'astronaut'
Wanted ads aren't usually newsworthy, unless the company is NASA and the job is "going to space." The US space agency has started recruiting ...