Delphi XE5 - non stop hourglass in IDE

Hi,

While I'm overly satisfied with Delphi XE5 (beside a few weird things), there is 1 thing that is really annoying: the non stop hourglass in the IDE. When I double click a word to select: hourglass. When I move the cursor 2 spaces: hourglass. Scrolling: hourglass. When typing a few characters: hourglass. And this is really all the time. The IDE freezes and I'm losing a lot of time always waiting to continue. I'm wondering why Embarcadero doesn't fix issues like this. I discovered that turning off "Code par
ameters", "Tooltip expression evaluation", "Tooltip symbol insight" and "Error insight" under Options->Editor options->Code insights largely fix this issue, but of course it's annoying during debugging. It's a large project (around 300 forms + 200 units). I only keep files open that I'm currently editing.

I'm a long term user of Delphi, I use it since version 1.0, I find it a great tool to develop desktop applications (compared to the WPF / xaml crap from MS), it has excellent third party libraries, but it's just a pitty that every new release is still plagued with the same bugs from previous releases.

Is anybody experiencing the same problem ? How about latest XE8 ?

Many thanks in advance !
Nico Callewaert
0
Nico

Nico Callewaert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While I'm overly satisfied with Delphi XE5 (beside a few weird
> things), there is 1 thing that is really annoying: the non stop
> hourglass in the IDE. When I double click a word to select:
> hourglass. When I move the cursor 2 spaces: hourglass. Scrolling:
> hourglass. When typing a few characters: hourglass. And this is
> really all the time. The IDE freezes and I'm losing a lot of time
> always waiting to continue. I'm wondering why Embarcadero doesn't fix
> issues like this. I discovered that turning off "Code par ameters",
> "Tooltip expression evaluation", "Tooltip symbol insight" and "Error
> insight" under Options->Editor options->Code insights largely fix
> this issue, but of course it's annoying during debugging. It's a
> large project (around 300 forms + 200 units). I only keep files open
> that I'm currently editing.

The IDE usually has to open more files than the ones you see in editor
windows, check the buffer list (Ctrl-B if memory serves).

In a classical RAD project you tend to end up with a lot of circular
references between your units. Such references slow down the parsing of
the code, and that is not only important for compilation speed, it also
affects the background parser that is involved in IDE functions that
depend on a syntactical analysis of the code you are editing. In
addition such projects tend to use lots of 3rd-party components, which
results in a long search path and increases the number of units the
compiler may have to check.

I'm also using XE5 for my largest active project (which started 5 years
ago <g>). It has about 200 forms, frames, and data modules, and around
450 units in total. I only use 1 (non-visual) 3rd party library, and 1
IDe add-in (MMX), and my forms are decoupled as well as possible (a
form may know about another form class if it has to create an instance
of that form class, but never the other way around. Necessary
communication between forms is done through custom messages or
interfaces, such shared communication mechanisms are declared in a
single unit not connected to any specific forms). I have never seen
such delays in the IDE.

So, my advice would be

  - use a tool like Peganza's Pascal Analyzer to identify circular
references in you code base and strive to remove as many of them as you
can. Move unit references from the interface to the implementation Uses
clause as much as possible.
  - make sure your IDE library path only contains 3rd-party folders
with dcu (and dfm) files, not with source files.
  - if the project only uses some of the 3rd-party packages you have
installed it may pay off to create a dedicated IDE configuration for
this particular project that only contains the 3rd-party packages you
actually use in the project, with a correspondingly shorter library
path. Look up the online help for the -r command line switch.
  - use high-end hardware, the faster your develoment machine is the
better, since these problems are basically performance problems.

> I'm a long term user of Delphi, I use it since version 1.0, I find it
> a great tool to develop desktop applications (compared to the WPF /
> xaml crap from MS), it has excellent third party libraries, but it's
> just a pitty that every new release is still plagued with the same
> bugs from previous releases.
>
> Is anybody experiencing the same problem ? How about latest XE8 ?

It is not much better in this regard. Some of the limitation is
probably in the 32 bit architecture, with its limited address space. We
can only hope for the future here, but moving such a complex
application to 64 bit is probably not something done in a few weeks of
spare time <g>.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
0

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will check the things you mentioned, esp. the references between units and fix them.
Is there a difference between the interface uses clause and the implementation one when it comes to speed ? I put units in the interface uses clause that are used by the class definition and the rest in the implementation uses clause.
And yes my hardware is not the best, in fact I don't like much the use of laptops for building software, will ask better hardware :-)

Thank you and best regards !
Nico
0
Nico
7/31/2015 11:15:04 AM
Nico Callewaert wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply. I will check the things you mentioned,
> esp. the references between units and fix them.  Is there a
> difference between the interface uses clause and the implementation
> one when it comes to speed ?

Yes, it has an impact on compilation speed and the number of open files
the compiler has to manage. It also has an impact on run-time behaviour
when it comes to the unit initialization and finalization sequence: for
a unit named in the interface uses clause it is guaranteed that this
unit will be initialized before the unit that containes the uses clause.

> I put units in the interface uses clause
> that are used by the class definition and the rest in the
> implementation uses clause.

That is the way one should organize it: the interface uses clause
should only contain unit actually needed by the declarations in the
interface part of the unit, or units which must be initalized before
the current one (usually only relevant if said unit contains an
initialization section).

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
0

How to stop Delphi XE5 IDE from launching Arm Emulator
Whenever I launch Delphi XE5, it takes a long time to start up because it is launching Arm Android Emulator as well. I only want to do Windows development at this time. How can I stop IDE from auto-launching Arm emulator? Nasir Noor wrote: > Whenever I launch Delphi XE5, it takes a long time to start up because it is launching Arm Android Emulator as well. I only want to do Windows development at this time. How can I stop IDE from auto-launching Arm emulator? > Why the emulator is even getting started is a mystery to me, as that does not happen to me. However, the obvious solution...

VS ide / delphi ide key map

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

Delphi IDEs
Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive screens with Delphi XE4 and later versions of Delphi? Pier Pier wrote: > Is it possible to write applications for Android and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 or later versions of Delphi? iOS support was added in XE4. Android support was added in Delphi XE5. > Is it possible to write applications for Windows 8 and touch sensitive > screens with Delphi XE4 an...

Hi, I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. Thanks.. Mehmet Fide wrote: > Hi, > > I wonder which is more programmer friendly. Especially for syntax > highlighting and fast code writting, viewing.. > > > Thanks.. See "RAD Studio 2010 vs. Visual Studio 2010" in non-technical group. -- Warm Regards, Lee ...

Delphi XE5 IDE Closes on click of Open
Hi , I am not sure others have encountered this error. Delphi XE5 IDE closes without any error message when i click File-Open. This has been happening intermittently. I was wondering if anybody else also facing same Issue and have any solution for the same. I have installed all the latest Hotfix/Updates. Thanks in advance. Regards, Try following this: http://support.embarcadero.com/article/42597 and see if it helps. vijay K wrote: > Hi , > > I am not sure others have encountered this error. Delphi XE5 IDE closes without any error message when i click File-Ope...

Delphi XE5 IDE is slow like XE2,XE3,XE4 [Edit]
Hello, Same problem on Delphi XE3, XE4 and XE5. Next Delphi XE6 ? Because of Livebinding Delphi IDE is became very very very slow to open Forms with a lot of components. This problem seems to be ignored but opened since Delphi XE2 in Quality Central : Report #: 116169 Report #: 102843 Report #: 103520 Easy to reproduce : Put a lot of third party components like TMSSoftware, DevExpress, Indy etc on a form an it will take a long time to open it and switch on it with F12. Problem is same with a lot of components on form or component with a lot of properties... There i...

Delphi needs this: Designtime 'tasks' panes in MS Visual Web Developer 2008 [picture]
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_8bd4.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" --JivePart=_8bd4.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="WeNeedThis.jpg" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="WeNeedThis.jpg" iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAARcAAAEaCAYAAAA7TRMKAAAABHNCSVQICAgIfAhkiAAAAAlwSFlz AAAL1wAAC9cBJXXS8AAAABl0RVh0U29mdHdhcmUAd3d3Lmlua3NjYXBlLm9yZ5vuPBoAACAASURB VHic...

Delphi XE7 IDE is slow like XE2,XE3,XE4,XE5,XE6 [Edit]
[...]

Converting from Delphi 2005 to Delphi XE5
I have developed a number of Windows applications in Delphi 2005. I recently purchased Delphi XE5. I have started by trying to compile an existing 2005 application. I am getting a 7 errors about FMXTeeEditor. [dcc32 Error] E1026 File not found: 'FMXTee.Editor.Brush.fmx' Not able to find a solution to this. Any help greatly appreciated. Did you open every form before compiling? The old forms get updated with new properties when they are opened. I would make a copy of the old project before doing any of this. maybe you have links to the older tchart files....i.e its not usi...

Delphi IDE version
We have a help, about form with various info. I already have the Application version on here. I would like to incluude the Delphi IDE version here also XE2 is our latest version. Rather than hard coding in the code, is there a runtme option that returns the Delphi IDE version that app was created with? "Larry Wall" wrote in message news:626381@forums.embarcadero.com... > We have a help, about form with various info. > I already have the Application version on here. > I would like to incluude the Delphi IDE version here also XE2 is our > latest version. > Rat...

Web resources about - Delphi XE5 - non stop hourglass in IDE - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Hourglass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An hourglass ( sandglass , sand timer , sand watch , sand clock , egg timer ) measures the passage of a few minutes or an hour of time. It has ...

Hourglass Sand Timer on the App Store on iTunes
Get Hourglass Sand Timer on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Hourglass Shadow - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Gold dollar symbols falling through an hourglass 3d Rendering.

Mr Fluffy asbestos infiltrates like sand through the hourglass
... &#8220;sand migrating through an hour glass&#8221;, study shows. Mr Fluffy asbestos infiltrates houses like “sand migrating through an hourglass” ...

Like sands though the hourglass...comes art
Within every grain of sand lives a piece of earth's history.&nbsp;

Mr Fluffy asbestos infiltrates like sand through the hourglass
... &#8220;sand migrating through an hour glass&#8221;, study shows. Mr Fluffy asbestos infiltrates houses like “sand migrating through an hourglass” ...

Official: Like sands through the hourglass, so is the 2014 Lexus GX
... end on that! The updated luxury SUV features what Lexus calls "a new interpretation" of its now-trademark Spindle grille. The oversized hourglass ...

Like Sand Through an Hourglass
These are two of two dozen or so featured stories at Post Politics . Never mind that McConnell would filibuster a declaration making Tuesday ...

Like Sands Through the Hourglass, So Are the Demo Days of Our Lives
Full house. (Photo: ERA, via Twitter) The latest class (number five!) of the Entrepreneurs Roundtable Accelerator demoed today, and Betabeat ...