Delphi 6 - project opens - no IDE. Win XP Pro

I have a large project that opens with no IDE visible.  Until today, everything was fine.  Have removed the Delphi32.dsk file.  No change.  Have reinstalled Delphi - no change.  It appears the IDE settings for the project are held somewhere.  But I can't find them.

All that displays is the application's file list.  No forms, no code, no object inspector.  The Alt keys still work.  But that's it.

I started up another project with the same name (overwrote the previous version).  Same problem.  So the data about that project is definitely somewhere.  I've had a good look on the web for this problem and can't find it.  Although that may be because of my search sequence.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Alan Jeffery
0
Alan

Alan Jeffery wrote:

> I have a large project that opens with no IDE visible.  Until today,
> everything was fine.  Have removed the Delphi32.dsk file.  No change.
> Have reinstalled Delphi - no change.  It appears the IDE settings for
> the project are held somewhere.  But I can't find them.

The closest Delphis I have are D5 and D7, in these versions when you
save a custom desktop it is stored in an <name>.dst file in Delphi's
Bin directory.

--
Pieter

"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty."
 -- Sacha Guitry (1885-1957)
0
Pieter
4/28/2009 10:15:04 PM
> {quote:title=Pieter Zijlstra wrote:}{quote}
> Alan Jeffery wrote:
>
> > I have a large project that opens with no IDE visible.  Until today,
> > everything was fine.  Have removed the Delphi32.dsk file.  No change.
> > Have reinstalled Delphi - no change.  It appears the IDE settings for
> > the project are held somewhere.  But I can't find them.
>
> The closest Delphis I have are D5 and D7, in these versions when you
> save a custom desktop it is stored in an <name>.dst file in Delphi's
> Bin directory.
>
> --
> Pieter
Pieter

I looked for the *.dst files.  Can't find any.  Certainly there are none in the Bin directory.

Alan
0
Alan
4/28/2009 11:40:05 PM
Alan Jeffery wrote:

> Pieter Zijlstra wrote:
> > The closest Delphis I have are D5 and D7, in these versions when you
> > save a custom desktop it is stored in an <name>.dst file in Delphi's
> > Bin directory.
>
> I looked for the *.dst files.  Can't find any.  Certainly there are
> none in the Bin directory.

Hm, so you never used the "Save current desktop" option/toolbutton?

What happens when you run Delphi from the command line (from the Bin
directory) using:

  delphi32 -np

--
Pieter

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon
 loses both."
 -- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address,
    January 20, 1953
0
Pieter
4/29/2009 12:06:59 AM
> {quote:title=Pieter Zijlstra wrote:}{quote}
> Alan Jeffery wrote:
>
> > Pieter Zijlstra wrote:
> > > The closest Delphis I have are D5 and D7, in these versions when you
> > > save a custom desktop it is stored in an <name>.dst file in Delphi's
> > > Bin directory.
> >
> > I looked for the *.dst files.  Can't find any.  Certainly there are
> > none in the Bin directory.
>
> Hm, so you never used the "Save current desktop" option/toolbutton?
>
> What happens when you run Delphi from the command line (from the Bin
> directory) using:
>
>   delphi32 -np
>
> --
> Pieter
>
> "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon
>  loses both."
>  -- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address,
>     January 20, 1953

Pieter

I have always used the save current desktop option.  I think I know what happened.  The project file got toasted.  Almost all the files from another directory disappeared from it.  They were over half of the project.

Now, why that happened I'm blowed if I know.  No error messages, no avs, no nothing.

I've rebuilt the project using another name.  And kept the number of forms open to a much lower number than previously.  I was getting an error about "Not enough window handles" and the forms weren't visible.  Never got that before.

It appears something odd has happened to XP.  Now I've got the project back I'll go hunting for the problem.

Thanks

Alan
0
Alan