Delphi 2009 alongside Delphi 2007

Hi all,

I am about to install Delphi 2009 on the same development system
as Delphi 2007, before I embark is there anything I should be aware
of so as to not break my Delphi 2007 installation and projects ?

Thanks
JT
0
John

John Taylor wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am about to install Delphi 2009 on the same development system
> as Delphi 2007, before I embark is there anything I should be aware
> of so as to not break my Delphi 2007 installation and projects ?

As long as you install into a separate folder there is no problem with
the two versions getting into each other virtual hair. When you convert
projects (as usual you need D2009 versions of the 3rd-party components
you use, or at least the source for them) you have to plan ahead if you
want to keep D2007 compatible. After getting a project converted by the
IDE the first step you must do is to check the project options,
especially the pathes used there. Make sure you use different output
folders for D2007 and D2009 dcus, exes, and packages. If you have your
own run-time packages you must use different project (and bpl) names
for the D2007 and D2009 versions, since otherwise you may end up with
D2007 projects trying to use D2009 BPLs or the other way around. Both
scenarios won't make you happy <g>.

As with practically any version move with Delphi there are
incompatibilities in the DFM files, once you have converted and saved a
form etc. in D2009 you will have problems using the same dfm in D2007.
Otherwise, make sure you have warnings and hints enabled in the project
options and try to build the source in D2009. Then get rid of all
warnings and hints one by one my modifying the code as appropriate. You
can use $IFDEF UNICODE constructs to write code that will compile under
D2009 and 2007 where different things are required.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
use the newsgroup archives :

I will also take this opportunity to say that over the years searching
newsgroups, I have always found
your breadth of knowledge astounding, not to mention that your responses to
questions are always
very detailed and right on with the correct answer.  Now my standard search
technique is to
always include your name in my keywords to get to *the best* answer as fast
as possible. :-)

JT

"Peter Below" <none@nomail.please> wrote in message
> John Taylor wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am about to install Delphi 2009 on the same development system
>> as Delphi 2007, before I embark is there anything I should be aware
>> of so as to not break my Delphi 2007 installation and projects ?
>
> As long as you install into a separate folder there is no problem with
> the two versions getting into each other virtual hair. When you convert
> projects (as usual you need D2009 versions of the 3rd-party components
> you use, or at least the source for them) you have to plan ahead if you
> want to keep D2007 compatible. After getting a project converted by the
> IDE the first step you must do is to check the project options,
> especially the pathes used there. Make sure you use different output
> folders for D2007 and D2009 dcus, exes, and packages. If you have your
> own run-time packages you must use different project (and bpl) names
> for the D2007 and D2009 versions, since otherwise you may end up with
> D2007 projects trying to use D2009 BPLs or the other way around. Both
> scenarios won't make you happy <g>.
>
> As with practically any version move with Delphi there are
> incompatibilities in the DFM files, once you have converted and saved a
> form etc. in D2009 you will have problems using the same dfm in D2007.
> Otherwise, make sure you have warnings and hints enabled in the project
> options and try to build the source in D2009. Then get rid of all
> warnings and hints one by one my modifying the code as appropriate. You
> can use $IFDEF UNICODE constructs to write code that will compile under
> D2009 and 2007 where different things are required.
>
> --
> Peter Below (TeamB)
> Don't be a vampire (http://slash7.com/pages/vampires),
> use the newsgroup archives :
> http://codenewsfast.com
> http://groups.google.com
0
John
6/27/2009 1:30:21 PM
John Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am about to install Delphi 2009 on the same development system
> as Delphi 2007, before I embark is there anything I should be aware
> of so as to not break my Delphi 2007 installation and projects ?
>
> Thanks
> JT

I installed into completely different paths, and with completely different
paths for my own programs, but Delphi 2007 Help no longer works after
installing Delphi 2009.  Opening an existing project, positioning the
cursor over the word TForm, for example, and pressing F1 gives the
message:

  The namespace is not defined.

With no projects open, accessing the Help, CodeGear Help menu, gives a
Microsoft Document Explorer window with the message:

  This program cannot display the webpage

with the URL:  ms-help://borland.bds5/bds5start/intro.html

It would be nice to know how to fix this.  I haven't tried any
re-installing for fear of breaking the Delphi 2009 Help (which does work
and seems rather better than the Delphi 2007 Help).

Cheers,
David
0
David
6/27/2009 1:47:55 PM
David Taylor wrote:

> John Taylor wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am about to install Delphi 2009 on the same development system
> > as Delphi 2007, before I embark is there anything I should be aware
> > of so as to not break my Delphi 2007 installation and projects ?
> >
> > Thanks
> > JT
>
> I installed into completely different paths, and with completely
> different paths for my own programs, but Delphi 2007 Help no longer
> works after installing Delphi 2009.  Opening an existing project,
> positioning the cursor over the word TForm, for example, and pressing
> F1 gives the message:
>
>   The namespace is not defined.
>
> With no projects open, accessing the Help, CodeGear Help menu, gives
> a Microsoft Document Explorer window with the message:
>
>   This program cannot display the webpage
>
> with the url:   ms-help://borland.bds5/bds5start/intro.html
>
> It would be nice to know how to fix this.  I haven't tried any
> re-installing for fear of breaking the Delphi 2009 Help (which does
> work and seems rather better than the Delphi 2007 Help).

You can try to run the install_and_view.cmd file from the D2007
help/doc folder.

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
use the newsgroup archives :
Peter Below wrote:
[]
> You can try to run the install_and_view.cmd file from the D2007
> help/doc folder.

Peter, I have often been very impressed with your knowledge and
willingness to help, but knowing that and the fact that it worked
perfectly is highly impressive!

Many thanks,
David
0
David
6/28/2009 6:27:43 AM
John Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am about to install Delphi 2009 on the same development system
> as Delphi 2007, before I embark is there anything I should be aware
> of so as to not break my Delphi 2007 installation and projects ?

Okay, there is one thing that annoys me to this day.

Either the guys designing the IDE change the file extension for projects
every year (Leaving you one kind of mess) or they don't (and they create
this mess).

When delphi 2009 opens a .dproj it immediately overwrites the project
file (oh what a horrible design! always write? Who designs that crap?)
and then at least makes a backup of your .dproj with an old extension.

Because we all move up to 2009 and stay there and never move back down,
right? (WRONG!)

So, if you have version control, get used to reverting the bogus changes
to your DPROJ files.  I get in the habit of having MyApp2009.dproj and
MyApp2007.dproj files, and then just renaming MyApp2009.exe to MyApp.exe
before I run my install, that way I can use the same project in 2007 and
2009 without issues.

If they have learned anything in the next release (2010),  I hope it is
to only overwrite the old dproj if they  (a) the user has actually said
"save project", and (b) they ask the user for permission to upgrade the
..dproj to the 20xx version.

Warren
0
Warren

is there a Delphi 2007

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2009 Conversion

Code Porting
Hi people, Basically, I am moving an app from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2009 which is all great (yeah right!) and I am having a couple of issues with some thirdparty components that we have the source code for. Being that I wanted to make the task as easy as possible, I was able to download the component in Delphi 2007 format. I have now managed to port that to 2009 so it compiles only with warnings and no errors. So all is good at this moment. Now I am trying to install the component into the IDE by using the install menu option from the project manager. This is where I run into errors. ...

Restore Delphi 2007 dbxpress after testing Delphi 2009
Over on another thread I mentioned that I was having problems with dbxpress after testing Delphi 2009. It started that I noticed that Delphi 2007 was compiling against the newer version of dbxpress drivers (dbxmys.dll, rather than dbxmys30.dll). This was spotted after testing an application on a colleagues machine that had the older driver, but not the newer. The application was "pure" 2007. This continued after uninstalling Delphi 2009. It was suggested that Delphi 2009 had overwritten my +dbxdrivers.ini+ file - and looking at it that looks like the problem. It was also...

Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2009 IDE stability

can i use delphi 2007 bpls in delphi 2009

Can I update my Delphi 2007 lincense to Delphi 2009?
Hi all!! I have 12 lincense of Delphi 2007. When I bought these licenses to your partner told us that we could update to Delphi 2009 free. But, now I try to do that and I can't do. Are there any reason for that? Can I update my version of Delphi? > {quote:title=Oscar Estevez wrote:}{quote} > Hi all!! > > I have 12 lincense of Delphi 2007. When I bought these licenses to your partner told us that we could update to Delphi 2009 free. But, now I try to do that and I can't do. > Are there any reason for that? > > Can I update my version of Delphi? ...

Delphi 5 To Delphi 2009

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2009

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Indy IdHMACSHA1 different results in Delphi 2007 and Delphi 2009
Hello newsgroup A test of the IdHMACSHA1 encryption method shows different results, and I am not sure if there is an error in my code or in the Indy code shipped with Delphi 2009. The Delphi 2007 version works in an application which communicates with Amazon Web Services and so it seems to be the correct one. Any suggestions are very welcome, maybe I just need to download a newer version of Indy? program Test; {$APPTYPE CONSOLE} uses IdHMACSHA1, IdCoderMIME, IdGlobal, SysUtils; function Base64Encode(const Input: string): string; begin Result := TIdEncode...

Best Place to get help on converting Delphi 2007 string to Delphi 2009
Where is the best place to get help on converting Delphi 2007 strings to Delphi 2009? The most common problem getting Delphi 7-Delphi 2007 components to compile seems to be caused by the new Unicode strings in Delphi 2009. It would be great if there was some place to go to get help with this. Maybe there should be a new group for String conversion where developers could ask short questions about conversion. For example: Delphi 7 - Delphi 2007 CharArrayPtr = ^CharArray; CharArray = array[0..MaxInt-1] of Char; Compiles Delphi 2009 CharArrayPtr = ^CharArray; CharArray ...

Web resources about - Delphi 2009 alongside Delphi 2007 - embarcadero.delphi.ide

USA: 'State Dept planned Ukraine coup alongside NATO and EU' - Ron Paul - YouTube
The US State Department, alongside NATO and the EU, was instrumental in the 2014 Ukrainian coup, said former Member of Congress and presidential ...

Lote Tuqiri says South Sydney Rabbitohs backs as talented as any he's played alongside
... Sailor and Gregan, because Lote Tuqiri believes South Sydney&#8217;s potent backline is as good as any the dual international has played alongside. ...

Stephen Larkham makes rugby comeback alongside Victoria Cross winner
Stephen Larkham makes a comeback to play with a Victoria Cross winner, Nick Kyrgios gets a new car and Ben Alexander's costly Super Rugby try. ...

Alleged killer Jonathon Stenberg auditioned for movie role alongside Hugo Weaving, Jack Thompson and ...
JUST days after he allegedly cut the head off his neighbour, Jonathon Stenberg strolled into a film set in a remote Queensland town, and auditioned ...

Cricket All-Stars video, scores: Shane Warne, Sachin Tendulkar play at New York’s Citi Field alongside ...
IT was the greatest gathering of cricketers ever assembled but it had to be Shane Warne who stole the show in the Cricket All-Stars match in ...

Red Hot Chili Peppers to play Superbowl alongside Bruno Mars
IT'S one of the biggest gigs in the world - and one of the most talked-about.

Peta Credlin makes first public appearance since Liberal leadership spill alongside Jesinta Campbell
Peta Credlin led the charge at a gathering of some of the most influential women in the country on Tuesday night at the Art Gallery of NSW, as ...

Will Australia fight Islamic State alongside Iraq's army, or militias sponsored by Tehran?
The implosion of Iraq's military in the face of Islamic State has thrown new light on massive corruption in its ranks.

A nod and a wink: how Gareth Widdop learnt to play alongside Benji Marshall
Gareth Widdop used to play alongside the best exponent of structured halfback play in Cooper Cronk, now he plays alongside the most unpredictable ...

Former Australian soldier Caner Temel killed fighting alongside Syrian rebels
The Federal Government says a former Australian soldier has been killed fighting with rebels in Syria.