Debugging DLL compiled with Delphi 7 in Delphi XE5

Dear Sirs/Madams,

We are considering changing from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE5.
Our project consists of a dll and an .exe file. I have begun converting the .exe file to Delphi XE5 and have successfully accessed the DLL compiled with Delphi 7.

When I debug the DLL (using the "run parameters" and changing "host application" to the .exe file) in Delphi 7 I can set breakpoints etc. and they are triggered.

However, when I attempt to debug the project in XE5, I get the following message:
Module Load: xxx.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $015A0000. Process xxx.exe (2928)

Is it possible to somehow debug DLLs in XE5 compiled with an older Delphi version or is the debug info not compatible?

Kind Regards, Jack.
0
Jack

Jack wrote:

> However, when I attempt to debug the project in XE5, I get the
> following message: Module Load: xxx.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address:
> $015A0000. Process xxx.exe (2928)
>
> Is it possible to somehow debug DLLs in XE5 compiled with an older
> Delphi version or is the debug info not compatible?

Since you are not recompiling the DLL in XE5, did you copy over D7's TDS
file for the DLL when you copied over the DLL itself?  The TDS file contains
debug information.  Although, I do not know if XE5 can use D7's debug info
or not.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

Thank you for your reply.

I am not able to locate any "TDS" files when I build my dll in Delphi 7.
I get a .map file (from madExcept I suspect), the .dll and an .rsm file.
I copy all three files to the location of the .exe file (I have verified that the DLL loaded by the XE5 debugger is the one I copy).

Normally I would just assume that the binary format of the debug information is incompatible, I just have a vague memory of it working when I started working on this migration project.

Kind Regards, Jack

> Jack wrote:
>
> > However, when I attempt to debug the project in XE5, I get the
> > following message: Module Load: xxx.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address:
> > $015A0000. Process xxx.exe (2928)
> >
> > Is it possible to somehow debug DLLs in XE5 compiled with an older
> > Delphi version or is the debug info not compatible?
>
> Since you are not recompiling the DLL in XE5, did you copy over D7's TDS
> file for the DLL when you copied over the DLL itself?  The TDS file contains
> debug information.  Although, I do not know if XE5 can use D7's debug info
> or not.
>
> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Jack
2/3/2014 1:42:04 PM
Jack wrote:

> I am not able to locate any "TDS" files when I build my dll in Delphi
> 7.

Are you compiling the DLL with debug info turned on?

> I get a .map file (from madExcept I suspect), the .dll and an .rsm
> file.

The compiler produces the .map file.  MadExcept and other similar tools then
use the .map file to map memory addresses to human-readible symbol names.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
> Jack wrote:
>
> > I am not able to locate any "TDS" files when I build my dll in Delphi
> > 7.
>
> Are you compiling the DLL with debug info turned on?

Yes, as stated in the original mail - I am able to break and step on source lines using Delphi 7, so the debug information is there.
I have tried various permutations of the debug settings (mostly of the linker, remote debug symbols/TD32) to no avail when running the .exe in XE5..

> > I get a .map file (from madExcept I suspect), the .dll and an .rsm
> > file.
>
> The compiler produces the .map file.  MadExcept and other similar tools then
> use the .map file to map memory addresses to human-readible symbol names.

Ah ok, I see.

> --
> Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0
Jack

dll fails when compiled with delphi 2010, but works with delphi 7
I may be doing good if someone can just point me to the right forum I have not created a dll for some time and have not written one with 2010 before. The dll I am creating will be called as a cfx function by either a ColdFusion or BlueDragon webserver. I have written cfx DLLs in the past. The function declaration is below, it is the standard declaration from ColdFusion or Bluegradon documention on creating a CFX. procedure ProcessTagRequest(Request: TCFXRequest); export; cdecl; Since this was the first time using 2010 I wrote a very basic function to build off that was not much mor...

Win32 program: Delphi 7 vs Delphi XE5

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

Delphi 7 versus Delphi 2010 compiler directive {$Q-}
Hi, Could it be correct that there's a bug in Delphi7 where the compiler directive {$Q-} and {$Q+} works completely the opposite? When trying to build an existing Delhi 7 project in Delphi 2010 i found this weird behaviour. In D7 {$Q-} set overflow cheking on and in Delphi 2010 off ????? Regards, Arno Brinkman ABVisie -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Firebird open source database with many powerful SQL features: http://www.firebirdsql.org http://www.firebirdsql.info General database developer support: http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com Support list for ...

Attempting to compile Delphi 5 code in Delphi XE5 is failing
Greetings All, If I'm not in the correct formum please tell me which one I should be in. Just upgraded to Delphi XE5 and am attempting to compile one of my Delphi 5 projects. I used Interbase Express I use either TDataSource -> TCDSProvider -> TDataSetProvider -> TIBQuery or TDataSource -> TClientDataSet -> TDataSetProvider -> TIBQuery Also used TIBDatabase, TIBTransaction, and TIBStoredProc I open the smallest project I have and click compile and almost immediately I receive this error Checking project dependencies... Compiling CITranEngine.dproj...

dynamical DLL loading in delphi 7 & delphi 2010
Hello, i am loading a DLL dynamical in Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010: [delphi] var hDLL: THandle; pCode: Pointer; type TProcMainEntry = function: TForm; begin hDll := 0; if FileExists(Pfad + vpeDllName) then hDLL := LoadLibrary(PChar(Pfad + vpeDllName)) else SetLastError(2); if hDLL = 0 then RaiseLastOSError; pCode := GetProcAddress(hDLL, PChar(vpeFunction)); if pCode = nil then RaiseLastOSError; Result := TProcMainEntry(pcode)(); [/delphi] in delphi 7 there's a variable filled with data of the main application which used in the...

Delphi and Delphi for .Net

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

Delphi 2007 RTL in Delphi 7

Web resources about - Debugging DLL compiled with Delphi 7 in Delphi XE5 - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the shell command, see debug (command) . For the German magazine, see Debug (magazine) . For the 2014 film, see Debug (film) . Debugging ...

Debugging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the shell command, see debug (command) . For the German magazine, see Debug (magazine) . For the 2014 film, see Debug (film) . Debugging ...

The Remote Agent Experiment: Debugging Code from 60 Million Miles Away - YouTube
Google Tech Talk February 14, 2012 Presented by Ron Garret. ABSTRACT The Remote Agent Experiment: Debugging Code from 60 Million Miles Away The ...

Taking the pain out of debugging with live programming
"Everyone knows that debugging is twice as hard as writing a program in the first place," Brian Kernighan once wrote (adding: "So if you're as ...

Microsoft acquires software for debugging Unity games
... Visual Studio's capabilities for game builders, Microsoft is acquiring SyntaxTree, creator of a widely used Visual Studio plug-in for debugging ...

Agile Learning, Debugging and Mikado Method in Methods & Tools Fall 2013 issue
Methods & Tools – the free e-magazine for software developers, testers and project managers – has just published its Fall 2013 issue with the ...

Apple releases Xcode 7.1.1 w/ fixes for critical Interface builder, debugging, and UI testing issues
... of the app, making for an improved developer experience. Apple also says the update fixes “critical issues” in the Interface Builder, debugging, ...

Chrome Beta for Android brings debugging tools to mobile web developers
YouTube link for mobile viewing Chrome Beta for Android brings a lot of cool features for users like you and me, but it also has a handy one ...