Debug problems / questions with Delphi 2010

Ok, let me start off with saying I've just recently started my upgrade to Delphi 2010 from 2007 so I'm a little new to the new environment.

That being said I've been some problems with the debugger.  Nothing earth shaking, but more than a little annoying, and I'm hoping someone can help with one or more of then.

First, flyover hints in the code window while debugging never work, and hints/tooltips in general in the IDE seldom work, including the toolbar (which I would generally assume to have hints).  I've had the problem before with 2007, but it was always intermittent and I have had it with 2007 on multiple machines.  If I have a non visual component selected in the designed and F12 twice, I'll get a hint for that component, but not others.  I've yet to find anyway to trigger debugger hints.  Hints problems see
m to also occur in Delphi 2010 compiled applications as well.  Hints work in all other applications (as far as I can see).

I appear to be often losing debug information when working.  I'll be debugging a problem and hit F9 and not get the gutter marks showing where I can breakpoint.  I'll have to kill the process, do a build and then run again and everything is fine, until the next time this happens.

Sometimes when I have a breakpoint in code, and run to that code, when the debugger stops in the application, I have no local variables.  In the particular case I have right now, I'm breakpointing in a while loop.  The local variables reappear when loop to the top of the while loop.

Sometimes (yeah, I know, great description) I'll make a code change, hit F9, obviously compiling and running the code, get to my breakpoint, hit the step over toolbar button and the IDE will tell me "Source has been modified. Rebuild?".  Now, obviously, I've seen this a million times (been using Delphi since v1) and I know I'll trip it if I change code while in debug mode (I do NOT have the debugger making the code windows Read Only) but as I said up above, this happens while I'm just debugging.  I appear
 to be able to trigger this sometimes by entering debug mode, stop at a break point, make a code change, hit Ctrl F2 (killing the debug), Hit F9, run to the breakpoint and then hit the step over toolbar.  Note, I say sometimes.

I like the new feature where the debugger remembers what objects are expanded in the Watch List window and the Local Variables window, by why in the world is it so slow?  Normally stepping over a line of code is very fast, almost instantaneous, but if I have something expanded in the debugger, I can watch it redraw the expanded lines in the tree.  Also, it only appears to keep expanded down to the first level of children.  I'm doing some Indy code right now (conversion to D2010/Indy 10) and some of the ob
jects are nested pretty deep in others, along with a fair amount of derived classes.  Nothing below the top level object stays expanded when debugging.

Quick setup description:

Vista 32 bit
Delphi XPS 2.53GHz
NVidia 8700M GT (latest drivers 8/19/2009)
4GB system RAM

I am using a dual monitor setup, but Delphi runs on the primary monitor

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Mike
0
Michael

> I like the new feature where the debugger remembers what objects are expanded in the Watch List window and the Local Variables window, by why in the world is it so slow?  Normally stepping over a line of code is very fast, almost instantaneous, but if I have something expanded in the debugger, I can watch it redraw the expanded lines in the tree.  Also, it only appears to keep expanded down to the first level of children.  I'm doing some Indy code right now (conversion to D2010/Indy 10) and some of the
objects are nested pretty deep in others, along with a fair amount of derived classes.  Nothing below the top level object stays expanded when debugging.

A little more information on this one: the performance problem only seems to crop up when I have something like Node.Parent expanded (where Parent is the same class as node, in this case).  If I have Node expanded, and step over the code, the performance is fine, but if I add Node.Parent to the Watches window and expanded that, performance while showing Node is fine and while showing Node.Parent is horrible.
0
Michael

problem delphi 2010 apps with a delphi 5 pro Pchar
Hallo I build on till now alle tools and programas with delphi 5 pro now i have delphi 2010 want don't want rewite alle my DLL Tools Like The tool i made for making PDF In case of This DLL i can't becose the vcl i use in delphi 5 will not work in delphi 2010 *This call in apps* {code} Function GenratePDF(Settings:Pchar):Boolean; stdcall external 'GUPPDF2.dll'; {code} *In delphi 5 DLL* {code} Function GenratePDF(Settings:Pchar):Boolean; stdcall; {code} if call the function i get a "Access violation" i think that the settings parameter empty is...

Problems
Hi; We have a software developed in the Delphi 2009 and we do NOT use the runtime themes. So, the option: Projetct / Options / Application / Enable Runtime Themes is UNCHECKED. When I'm on the Delphi 2009, it's all right. The problem is when I use the Delphi 2010. The same configuration (Projetct / Options / Application / Enable Runtime Themes is UNCHECKED). The form editor (IDE) insists on show the forms with the current Windows theme. I don't like this, I want the runtime themes off while I'm programming and editing my forms. How can I solve it? Thanks to...

Delphi 2010: AV when switching from Default to debug layout and when closing Delphi
Hello, I experience strange AVs in rtl140.bpl when switching from the Default to the Debug Layout (e.g. when starting the application) or when closing Delphi 2010. I have a bunch of Addins (Modelmaker Code Explorer, EurekaLog, DDevExtensions, JCL, etc...), components installed. Any ideas/tools to possibly track down where the culprit is? Possibly simply an addin in combination with docked windows etc. Thanks, Thomas > {quote:title=Thomas Steinmaurer wrote:}{quote} > I experience strange AVs in rtl140.bpl when switching from the Default > to the Debug Layout (...

Delphi 2010 Prof.
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_4a613.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" --JivePart=_4a613.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: image/jpeg; name="delphi_toolbar_problem.jpg" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="delphi_toolbar_problem.jpg" /9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/7QAcUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNBAQAAAAAAAD/2wBDAAIB AQEBAQIBAQECAgICAgQDAgICAgUEBAMEBgUGBgYFBgYGBwkIBgcJBwYG...

from delphi 6 to delphi 2010

Delphi XE / Delphi 2010

Annoying window on IDE on debug desktop(Delphi 2010)
Hi, When I change my IDE desktop(with a loaded project) from default to Debug, a window is displayed at the top left of the IDE for about 1/4 of a second and then hides, I have tried to track down this window(Messages, Tool Palette, etc...) with no success , because is annoying the effect of just show and hide this window every time I debug an app. Anybody else have seen these behavior? Thanks in advance, Omar Zelaya > {quote:title=Omar Edgardo Zelaya Medrano wrote:}{quote} > When I change my IDE desktop(with a loaded project) from default to Debug, a > windo...

many problem with high resolution on Delphi 2010 IDE
Hi, I have a wide screen and I must work on 1920x1080 resolution because of other tools I use. the problem is at that resolution Delphi 2010 IDE has many problems dont know how to solve: - Main Menu font, Inspector font and rest of IDE forms is too small - When I uncheck embedded designer option to use IDE in SDI mode I found the code editor still attached to the main menu bar - When I press F12 to switch from form to code editor I find the form still on top. same for inspector !! I tried to increase the font size to increase dpi but that make few things big and rest very small in a v...

Debugging applications in delphi 2010 xe2
Hello, I have a problem with CPU - I installed delphi 2010 rad studio xe2 on my computer, and everything work fine, except one thing (: When I put break point in code, and try to debug, debuger does not allow me to debug in code - CPU panel opens and i see asembler code. I have to add - maybe it is important that I m working on existing project which consist of many group project. I will be grateful for help Irek Am 28.08.2012 13:23, schrieb Irek Kowalski: > Hello, > > I have a problem with CPU - I installed delphi 2010 rad studio xe2 on my computer, and everything ...

Migrate from Delphi 2007 to Delphi 2010

Delphi and Delphi Prism licensing question
When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence" or a "workstation licence"? Can I install both products on two machines I use with the same licence keys? I have a Mac Pro ("Cyrus") running Vista 64 in VMware and a MacBook ("Blacky") running Vista 32 in Parallels. Can I install Delphi and Delphi Prism on both Cyrus and Blacky since I use both machines (and like to have all dev tools I use installed on both machines at all times)? Andrew Brehm wrote: > When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence...

Delphi 2010 w Delphi 2007

Web resources about - Debug problems / questions with Delphi 2010 - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Neil D'Costa and Chris Rogers question whether more could be done to honour memory of Phillip Hughes
Phillip Hughes' long-time coach and mentor has questioned whether cricket administrators are doing "everything humanly possible" to ...

Question Of The Day: First-ever car ride?
Filed under: Automotive History The first time you were ever in a motor vehicle, what was it? Continue reading Question Of The Day: First-ever ...

Housing Rebound Didn't Lift Economy as Much as Economists Expected: Why?; Six Questions for Zandi
Home prices are nearly back to where they were before the crash. In some places, home prices are above where they were at the peak of the national ...

Real question: did Brad Pitt wear a ’90s wiglet at ‘The Big Short’ premiere?
Brad Pitt could potentially have a film at the Oscars this year. NO, not By the Sea . His real Oscar-bait film this year is The Big Short , which ...

Want a job at Apple? Here are 10 of the toughest interview questions
We alternately praise and criticize the folks at Apple depending on whether they just created the iPhone or Apple Maps, but there’s no doubting ...

Lisa Vanderpump Is the Latest 'RHOBH' Star to Question Yolanda Foster's Lyme Disease
Lisa Vanderpump Is the Latest 'RHOBH' Star to Question Yolanda Foster's Lyme Disease

What's The Right Way To Ask Audiences Questions?
The key to asking questions of an audience is authenticity.

Some Questions, Answers About Minneapolis Police Shooting
Some questions, answers about shooting of black man by Minneapolis police

How Do You Cook A Turkey And Other Thanksgiving Questions: Answers To Popular Thanksgiving Questions ...
Thanksgiving is here, and you may have some questions about your last minute holiday food preparations. From turkey cooking times and temperatures ...