Code completion in Delphi 200x and sorting

Hi,

This is now bothering me long enough to ventilate my feelings.

I use(d) Delphi 7 and now use Delphi 2007. Class completion (ctrl-shift-c) is a feature I use a lot. The thing is that Delphi 2007 tries to create the methods in alphabetical order. This gets messy (eg. constructor destructor in the middle of a unit). I want methods together that belong together. Result: I see myself moving almost every method to the end of the unit.

*Waste of time.*

Why not make this 'feature' optional?
Maybe it's optional by using some regedit hack that I don't know of.

Can somebody enlighten me?

Also see http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=53480 Alphabetical insertion in "code completion" is NOT always a good idea.

Regards,
Jeroen Röttink
0
Jeroen

Jeroen Rottink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is now bothering me long enough to ventilate my feelings.
[]
> Regards,
> Jeroen Röttink

As a workaround, name your methods in alphabetical order.

Personally, I find alphabetic order better than a random order, but I
agree that if it were optional that would please more people.

Cheers,
David
0
David
5/25/2009 3:21:28 PM
Jeroen Rottink wrote:

> The thing is that Delphi 2007 tries to create the methods in
> alphabetical order.

You can right click on the Window and choose to sort by scope or by
alphabetical order.

Of course, you can start typing, and the list will filter down as well
as you type.

--
Nick Hodges
RAD Studio R&D Manager - Embarcadero

I see the confusion (thread title was wrong), but I mean class completion.
I add a method to the class interface, hit ctrl-shift-c and the method body is created and inserted into the implementation part in an alphabetical order. It would be much appreciated if this could be turned off so new methods are added to the end of the unit.

Regards,
Jeroen.

> {quote:title=Nick Hodges wrote:}{quote}
> Jeroen Rottink wrote:
>
> > The thing is that Delphi 2007 tries to create the methods in
> > alphabetical order.
>
> You can right click on the Window and choose to sort by scope or by
> alphabetical order.
>
> Of course, you can start typing, and the list will filter down as well
> as you type.
>
> --
> Nick Hodges
> RAD Studio R&D Manager - Embarcadero
> http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
0
Jeroen
5/25/2009 6:14:34 PM
Jeroen,

| It would be much appreciated if this could be turned off so new
| methods are added to the end of the unit.

Or to where the cursor is presently located. <g>

05/25/2009 11:29:00

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everyone's & Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
5/25/2009 6:35:55 PM
Nick,

No holiday? <g>

05/25/2009 11:29:37

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everyone's & Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
5/25/2009 6:35:56 PM
Jeroen Rottink wrote:

>  It would be much appreciated if this could be turned off so new
> methods are added to the end of the unit.

I think this is one of those ones where if we did it your way, the
other half of people who like it how it is will be mad.

We'll look into working something out here.

--
Nick Hodges
RAD Studio R&D Manager - Embarcadero
http://blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges
0
Nick
5/25/2009 8:56:14 PM
Nick,

| We'll look into working something out here.

I think it needs to be selectable.

05/25/2009 17:25:59

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everyone's & Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
5/26/2009 12:32:51 AM
Quentin Correll wrote:
> Nick,
>
>> We'll look into working something out here.
>
> I think it needs to be selectable.

Rather, have the default Alphabetic sorted like now, but that that option
deselectable.

David
0
David
5/26/2009 7:06:54 AM
> {quote:title=David Taylor wrote:}{quote}
> Quentin Correll wrote:
> > Nick,
> >
> >> We'll look into working something out here.
> >
> > I think it needs to be selectable.
>
> Rather, have the default Alphabetic sorted like now, but that that option
> deselectable.
>
> David

That's also the solution I am thinking of. That way CodeGear can please a lot more people.

Jeroen.
0
Jeroen
5/26/2009 7:50:04 AM
I agree,  allow the user to turn it off and put the methods in the order
they're created.

Richard

<Jeroen Rottink> wrote in message news:120442@forums.codegear.com...
> I use(d) Delphi 7 and now use Delphi 2007. Class completion (ctrl-shift-c)
> is a feature I use a lot. The thing is that Delphi 2007 tries to create
> the methods in alphabetical order.>

> Why not make this 'feature' optional?

> Jeroen Röttink
0
richard
5/26/2009 11:22:35 AM
David,

| Rather, have the default Alphabetic sorted like now, but that that
| option deselectable.

That works,... almost...  but what would the unselected state do?

05/26/2009 13:59:09

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everyone's & Q's Mods]
0
Quentin
5/26/2009 9:06:21 PM
Quentin Correll wrote:

> David,
>
> >  Rather, have the default Alphabetic sorted like now, but that that
> >  option deselectable.
>
> That works,... almost...  but what would the unselected state do?

It'll use the random-line-number-generator again to determine where to
insert the implementation, since that thing had some flaws it might
accidentally end up at the end of source file <eg>

:-)

--
Pieter

"The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about
 other people." -- Lucille S. Harper
0
Pieter
5/27/2009 12:11:23 AM
Pieter,

| It'll use the random-line-number-generator again to determine where to
| insert the implementation, since that thing had some flaws it might
| accidentally end up at the end of source file <eg>

ROFL!

05/26/2009 20:02:36

XanaNews Version 1.18.1.52  [Everyone's & Q's Mods]
0
Quentin

Web resources about - Code completion in Delphi 200x and sorting - embarcadero.delphi.ide

Completion (oil and gas wells) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In petroleum production, completion is the process of making a well ready for production (or injection). This principally involves preparing ...

Facebook Tests Profile Completion Meter
... launched a feature that many compared to Pinterest , the site started testing something that’s more native to LinkedIn — a profile completion ...

Facebook tests profile completion percentage, asks for current city
Some Facebook users are noticing a profile completion percentage in their About tab. The social network is also asking for users to provide their ...

faroo_p2p: FAROO Search: Spelling correction, Query completion and Instant search http://t.co/TgHECDe5 ...
faroo_p2p: FAROO Search: Spelling correction, Query completion and Instant search http://t.

To Do List:Completion on the App Store on iTunes
Get To Do List:Completion on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Near completion - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Today I was trying to shoot some pictures, but it was a cloudy and dark afternoon, and there wasn't enough light to expose the 1/125s ISO50 scanner. ...

Destiny The Dark Below: Crota's End - Traverse the Abyss Completion - YouTube
SPOILERS. If you want to see nothing of the raid, DO NOT WATCH. This is the very start of Crota's End, the new raid that comes with The Dark ...

Hospital structure nears completion
Progress at the new Bendigo Hospital site is proceeding rapidly.

Woolloongabba sewerage upgrade nears completion
It’s as vital as roads, railways and power lines, but Brisbane’s sewerage system remains the city’s most hidden infrastructure asset.

Lengthy inquiry into cage for autistic student 'close' to completion
An inquiry into the decision-making process behind a Canberra school erecting a cage for a student with autism is &quot;close&quot; to being ...