Android App Support in Delphi ETA?

Hi --

I have read that the latest release of Delphi supports building iOS applications and that support for Linux and Android were "coming soon" and I wondered if anyone had an ETA of the ability to create Android apps? I would like to leverage my knowledge of Pascal as opposed to learning PHP to create Android apps.

Thanks

Rich
0
Richard

Richard Morey wrote:

> I have read that the latest release of Delphi supports building iOS
> applications and that support for Linux and Android were "coming
> soon" and I wondered if anyone had an ETA of the ability to create
> Android apps?

So far there is no new roadmap, but Linux/Android and ARM compiler
support might be in the next release (XE3) and that could be released
by the end of August/beginning of September next year.

See also "May the road(map) rise with you"
http://blogs.embarcadero.com/jtembarcadero/2011/09/17/may-the-roadmap-rise-with-you/
--
Uwe Schuster | Hero of the Delphi 2010 FT
http://www.bitcommander.de/blog

Thanks for your response. I was hoping that Android support was something close to being ready that might be a patch for Delphi XE2 in the next 1 - 3 months. Oh well.

Rich

> {quote:title=Uwe Schuster wrote:}{quote}
> Richard Morey wrote:
>
> > I have read that the latest release of Delphi supports building iOS
> > applications and that support for Linux and Android were "coming
> > soon" and I wondered if anyone had an ETA of the ability to create
> > Android apps?
>
> So far there is no new roadmap, but Linux/Android and ARM compiler
> support might be in the next release (XE3) and that could be released
> by the end of August/beginning of September next year.
>
> See also "May the road(map) rise with you"
> http://blogs.embarcadero.com/jtembarcadero/2011/09/17/may-the-roadmap-rise-with-you/
> --
> Uwe Schuster | Hero of the Delphi 2010 FT
> http://www.bitcommander.de/blog
0
Richard
11/14/2011 10:51:18 PM
Richard Morey wrote:

> HI --
>
> Thanks for your response. I was hoping that Android support was
> something close to being ready that might be a patch for Delphi XE2
> in the next 1 - 3 months. Oh well.
>
> Rich

It cannot be a patch as it will be implemented by the new (next
generation) compiler....

--

Lajos Juhász
0

>> Thanks for your response. I was hoping that Android support was
>> something close to being ready that might be a patch for Delphi XE2
>> in the next 1 - 3 months. Oh well.
>>
> It cannot be a patch as it will be implemented by the new (next
> generation) compiler....

FPC already seems to support it
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Android_Interface

It is not obligatory to wait NexGen compiler.
They use FPC for apple, may do so for Google too.
It would not be any worse.

--
Написано в почтовом клиенте браузера Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/
0
Richard Morey wrote:

> HI --
>
> Thanks for your response. I was hoping that Android support was
> something close to being ready that might be a patch for Delphi XE2
> in the next 1 - 3 months. Oh well.
>
> Rich

It cannot be a patch as it will be implemented by the new (next
generation) compiler....

--

Lajos Juhász
0
Lajos
11/15/2011 11:44:57 AM
> They use FPC for apple,

It's used for iOS 'support'. When targeting OS X, the Delphi compiler and RTL is used.
0
Chris
11/15/2011 6:45:46 PM
Richard Morey wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I have read that the latest release of Delphi supports building iOS applications and that support for Linux and Android were "coming soon" and I wondered if anyone had an ETA of the ability to create Android apps? I would like to leverage my knowledge of Pascal as opposed to learning PHP to create Android apps.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich

It should noted that the best way to predict future events is to invent
a time machine first. :-) Otherwise, the only official document of
predicting what will happen in the future in regards to Rad Studio is
the roadmap.
0
quinn
11/15/2011 7:08:23 PM
Chris Rolliston  писал(а) в своём письме Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:45:46 +0400:

>> They use FPC for apple,
>
> It's used for iOS 'support'. When targeting OS X, the Delphi compiler
> and RTL is used.

OSX on PowerPC is considered obsolete not targeted at all ?

--
Написано в почтовом клиенте браузера Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/
0
Dmitry
11/15/2011 7:47:35 PM
> > It's used for iOS 'support'. When targeting OS X, the Delphi compiler
> > and RTL is used.
>
> OSX on PowerPC is considered obsolete not targeted at all ?

Er, is that a serious question? Macs have been Intel-only for some years now, along with the past two releases of OS X.
0
Chris
11/16/2011 1:40:19 AM
Chris Rolliston  писал(а) в своём письме Wed, 16 Nov 2011 05:40:19 +0400:

> Er, is that a serious question? Macs have been Intel-only for some years
> now, along with the past two releases of OS X.

Two is only two. Imagine Delphi would fail to make executables for WinXP.
Or, accoounting Win7 and Win7 SP1 as different OS X releases - even on
Vista.

--
Написано в почтовом клиенте браузера Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/
0
Dmitry
11/16/2011 4:05:26 AM
> {quote:title=Dmitry Burov wrote:}{quote}
> Two is only two. Imagine Delphi would fail to make executables for WinXP.
> Or, accoounting Win7 and Win7 SP1 as different OS X releases - even on
> Vista.

"Two is only two" is Windows. Apple's philosophy has always been "This one only. The next one may break everything you've ever run on our OS."
0
Ken
11/16/2011 6:49:34 PM
Ken White  писал(а) в своём письме Wed, 16 Nov 2011 22:49:34 +0400:

> Apple's philosophy has always been "This one only. The next one may
> break everything you've ever run on our OS."

i know, i remember discussion on VideoLAN maillist :-)

But do OS X users buy it and do purchase every single update Apple rolls
out ?
both hardware and software ?

i wonder what s ratio of PowerPC vs Intel boxes in the wild.

--
Написано в почтовом клиенте браузера Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/
0
Dmitry
11/16/2011 7:47:29 PM

> It cannot be a patch as it will be implemented by the new (next
> generation) compiler....
>
> --

Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone have an experience using a cross platform development for creating iOS and Android apps? I have some Flex / Actionscript experience but given recent announcements by Adobe it appears they are urging developers to focus on HTML5 for mobile apps.

Rich
0
Richard
11/16/2011 8:46:12 PM
I'll either wait or use Eclipse (second more likely).  I have no particular interest in iOS.
Scott