XE8 console app large increase in code size over 2007

I have several small console apps coded in 2007 that when compiled in XE8 explode in size.

The problem appears to be anything that uses the classes unit, an empty console app that includes the classes unit will create an executable near 1MB in size, the same in D2007 would be only a few KB.

I obviously don't need the VCL but use of a few classes is necessary but completely unusable in XE8 since the apps are intended for use on an embedded system with limited storage space.

Is there any way to mitigate this code bloat or do I have to downgrade to 2007?
0
Andy

Andy Kozakewycz wrote:

> I have several small console apps coded in 2007 that when compiled in
> XE8 explode in size.
>
> The problem appears to be anything that uses the classes unit, an
> empty console app that includes the classes unit will create an
> executable near 1MB in size, the same in D2007 would be only a few KB.
>
> I obviously don't need the VCL but use of a few classes is necessary
> but completely unusable in XE8 since the apps are intended for use on
> an embedded system with limited storage space.
>
> Is there any way to mitigate this code bloat or do I have to
> downgrade to 2007?

I assume you have made sure the executable is build without debug info?
The default for the linker settings for this has changed somewhere in
the XE product line.

If EXE size is really that much of a problem for you and you want to go
to a newer Delphi version you may have to make a copy of the Classes
unit, rename it, rigorously cut it down to the parts you really need,
and use that modified unit instead of the standard Classes unit. The
RTL design has changed somewhat since D2007, mostly to make use of
generics, new language features like anonymous methods, and of course
to support cross-platform development. The generics stuff used by
system.Classes alone probably accounts for a significant part of  the
size increase...

--
Peter Below (TeamB)
0
> {quote:title=Peter Below wrote:}{quote}
> Andy Kozakewycz wrote:
>
> > I have several small console apps coded in 2007 that when compiled in
> > XE8 explode in size.
> >
> > The problem appears to be anything that uses the classes unit, an
> > empty console app that includes the classes unit will create an
> > executable near 1MB in size, the same in D2007 would be only a few KB.
> >
> > I obviously don't need the VCL but use of a few classes is necessary
> > but completely unusable in XE8 since the apps are intended for use on
> > an embedded system with limited storage space.
> >
> > Is there any way to mitigate this code bloat or do I have to
> > downgrade to 2007?
>
> I assume you have made sure the executable is build without debug info?
> The default for the linker settings for this has changed somewhere in
> the XE product line.
>
> If EXE size is really that much of a problem for you and you want to go
> to a newer Delphi version you may have to make a copy of the Classes
> unit, rename it, rigorously cut it down to the parts you really need,
> and use that modified unit instead of the standard Classes unit. The
> RTL design has changed somewhat since D2007, mostly to make use of
> generics, new language features like anonymous methods, and of course
> to support cross-platform development. The generics stuff used by
> system.Classes alone probably accounts for a significant part of  the
> size increase...
>
> --
> Peter Below (TeamB)

Thanks but I have found an easier solution, I have requested a license for D2007 and its downloading now.

Seems like this is still the ultimate version.
0
Andy

Code Porting
Hi people, Basically, I am moving an app from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2009 which is all great (yeah right!) and I am having a couple of issues with some thirdparty components that we have the source code for. Being that I wanted to make the task as easy as possible, I was able to download the component in Delphi 2007 format. I have now managed to port that to 2009 so it compiles only with warnings and no errors. So all is good at this moment. Now I am trying to install the component into the IDE by using the install menu option from the project manager. This is where I run into errors. ...

[Delphi 2007] Fake code-errors in Code-Editor
Hi, I'm facing following problem: sometimes (w/o visible reason) IDE marks portions of my unit's code as erroneous (mostly "undeclared identifier" in "structure" window) despite code is OK. It's enough to delete one empty line from the code and everything backs to normal. Of course despite of error messages code compiles sucessfully. Anyone faced such behaviour ? My version is 11.0.2902.10471 wirh dec 2007 update installed ,OS is XP SP3 Thanks in advance Mati. Mateusz Kaleta wrote : > I'm facing following problem: sometimes (w/o visi...

How to Change Tablet App to Phone app in Delphi XE8? [Edit]
Hi, i've created an app more specifically for tablets. So if the screen is smaller than 7 inch not everything fits. I do work with layouts and Align properties so everything gets scaled accordingly to the screen size. I know a few options to make the app useable for phones ass well. But not sure what the best way is. Option1: Create multiple Views for each size screen. Option2: Use ScaledLayout to make everything smaller or bigger. Option3: Use scrollBox. Option4: Edit component sizes in FormCreate after checking screen size. Option5: Devide in more Forms. *So what&...

converting delphi 2007 code to delphi XE2 -- emptyparam problem
Hi, I am trying to convert my applicantion code from delphi 2007 to delphi XE2 and i got stuck in this error "[DCC Error] ADODB_TLB.pas(4888): E2033 Types of actual and formal var parameters must be identical". This happens when we use emptyparam as an argument in a function that wants an olevariant. Example: function TAcadDatabase.CopyObjects(Objects: OleVariant): OleVariant; begin Result := DefaultInterface.CopyObjects(Objects, EmptyParam, EmptyParam); //this is where we get the ERROR end; The coyobjects function as this signature: " function CopyObjects(Object...

Increasing text size also increases image size
Name: Nikola Email: balhaaratgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Increasing text size also increases image size Comments: I always like to enlarge the text on a site, it makes it easier to read. But apparently in the newest Firefox version pressing Ctrl++ also increases image size. This causes problems in reading web pages, for example: http://www.cracked.com/article_15895_5-most-badass-presidents-all-time.html When you enlarge the text AND images the text goes out of bounds and into the right column. This never used to be an issue with the older versions so I'm g...

Code Templates in Delphi 2007
Hi group.I can't find the place to configure Code Templates in Dephi 2007 IDE. According to the help its suppose to be under Tools>Options>Editor Options>Source Options. Here there should be a "Templates section" but I can't see any. Can anybody tell me whats going on? Thx Jacob Jacob Havkrog wrote: > Hi group.I can't find the place to configure Code Templates in Dephi > 2007 IDE. According to the help its suppose to be under > Tools>Options>Editor Options>Source Options. Here there should be a > "Templates section" but I ca...

Large increase in size of libxul
This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format. --------------ms000004090605060707040406 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hey everyone, It has recently come to my attention that the size of libxul has grown=20 quite a bit from 3.6 to 4.0. I don't recall us doing anything specific=20 to cause this size jump, and I figure we probably want to make sure that = this increase is OK (or at the very least we understand it). On OS X,=20 we've gone from 33,496,580 bytes to 93,691,984 bytes (180% ...

Increase in compiled code size
Hello All, I recently recompiled an ISAPI application on D2010 that had last been compiled on D2007. The size of the compilation has almost doubled in size from 1.54mb to 3.23mb. The 3rd party components used in the application are: zeoslib http://sourceforge.net/projects/zeoslib/ (beta version so it will work with D2010) lkjson http://sourceforge.net/projects/lkjson/ (latest version to work iwith D2010) and the jedi memory data component http://jvcl.delphi-jedi.org/ (replacing the components4developers kbMemTable) Compiler Optimization is on. I don't even know where to begin ...

Seperating Admin code in code-behind from general code
Hi guys, I just want to know if it would improve the functioning of my site to create two seperate dlls: One of the dll's would contain all the code for the general functioning of the site, and the other dll would contain all of the code for the administration elements of the site. Thanks GP...

Delphi 2010 executable size increase
I noticed that as I convert my code from D2007 to D2010 my executables are increasing in size by as much as 8 MB Yes this one was big to begin with but to jump from 22 MB to 30 MB is a bit too much. Is this normal? Is anyone else seeing this? Anything I can do or is this just progress live with it? Thanks "E C" <sundiskx@NoSpamhotpop.com> wrote in message news:188890@forums.codegear.com... >I noticed that as I convert my code from D2007 to D2010 my executables are >increasing in size by as much as 8 MB > Yes this one was big to begin with but to jump fr...

Delphi 2007 app on Windows 7?
I apologize if this is not the right group to post this question. I am currently using Delphi 2007 but one of my clients is upgrading all their hardware to Windows 7 - 64 bit. Do I have to upgrade all my development tools to Delphi 2010 to be compatible or will apps compiled in Delphi 2007 still run on the Windows 7 machines? Thanks, Keith Keith Wright schreef: > I apologize if this is not the right group to post this question. I am > currently using Delphi 2007 but one of my clients is upgrading all their > hardware to Windows 7 - 64 bit. Do I have to upgrade all my ...

Transferring Delphi 5 BDE code to Delphi 2006 Nexus Embedded server code
In an application where I have used BDE in Delphi 5 I would like to transfer the whole project to Nexus Embedded server that in general implies mostly exchanging tTable with tnxTable etc. But, in a procedure I regenerate indexes using dbiRegenIndexes(basehandler). This function seems not to be supported anymore, so I just wonder if such a call is needed at all in Nexus Embedded Server, and if needed, what is now the correct syntax ?? I don't know the answer to your question but if you can't find answers here you may like to know that nexus db have there own free newsgr...

Delphi 4 to Delphi 2007

Web resources about - XE8 console app large increase in code size over 2007 - embarcadero.delphi.general

Increase Mather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Increase Mather (June 21, 1639 O.S. – August 23, 1723 O.S.) was a major figure in the early history of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and Province ...

Facebook Increases Type Size In News Feed
Facebook slightly increased the type size for user names and text in wall posts in the news feed for some users, making them a little easier ...

Increase Online Sales - Facebook for Business
Use Facebook to find new customers and build deep relationships with people who’ll click through and buy.

Facebook Increases Number of Visible Tab Apps on Pages, Changes Tab Reordering
Facebook has increased the number of tab applications that are visible above the fold in the navigation menu of Facebook Pages. It also now only ...

faroo_p2p: Six month after launch the FAROO Search API http://t.co/RQlyOBZC serves 24 million queries/month ...
faroo_p2p: Six month after launch the FAROO Search API http://t.co/RQlyOBZC serves 24 million queries/month. A tenfold increase in the last month. ...

Working to increase #transparency: Our latest report - Twitter Blogs
A lot has happened in the data privacy space since the release of our last #transparency report back in January. As we’ve noted, we believe the ...

MYEFO: Budget deficit increases to $37b as Government releases economic update
The Government releases its Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook, showing the budget deficit has increased to $37.4 billion.

Copyright tribunal slaps Pandora with 20 percent rate increase
... per-song rates paid by Pandora will go from $.0014 per song, or 14 cents per 100 songs played, to $.0017. That's a nearly 20 percent increase. ...

Cloud application adoption increases 71 percent in 2015
The adoption of cloud applications is soaring, up by 71 percent in the last year according to the results of a new survey. The latest Cloud ...

"Scientists at Harvard University found that melting glaciers have caused the length of a day to increase ...
"... a Florida police department published photos of nine unidentified, unconscious women on Facebook in an attempt to solicit information. 'We’re ...