What Affects The Size of a Compiled Executable?

Hi.  I have Delphi 7 installed on two computers.  One is a "True XP", the second is a Windows 7 running "XPMode".  As far as I can tell, they are both the same.  I recently installed Delphi on the XPMode.  I installed Update 1 and the version on both systems is build 8.1  I know the project source is exactly the same on both systems.  Or at least, I believe they are.  I've compared every setting I can think of.  Anyway, the True XP produces an executable build that is 12,813KB.  The XPMode is producing an
 executable build of 12,736.  The executable I build in XPMode is coughing up unexpected runtime errors.  I've compared dcu sizes and they are all exactly the same in both computers.  My project paths are the same.  The project builds without any errors.  If I was missing a file, it flat out would not compile.  I'm hoping somebody can clue me in on what I maybe missed.  Is XPMode not really compatible with Windows XP applications, like maybe Delphi is behaving differently?
0
Debbie

Debbie wrote:

> Anyway, the True XP produces an executable build that is 12,813KB.
> The XPMode is producing an executable build of 12,736.

That is a difference of only 77KB.  Have you tried looking at the executable's
binary data to see what is inside that 77KB?  Maybe there is a resource missing.

> The executable I build in XPMode is coughing up unexpected runtime errors.

Have you debugged them yet to find out what is happening?

> I've compared dcu sizes and they are all exactly the same in both computers.

All the more reason to suspect resources are missing, or maybe there is info
no present in the PE headers.  Since the DCUs match, the actual compiled
code should be the same.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

> That is a difference of only 77KB.  Have you tried looking at the executable's
> binary data to see what is inside that 77KB?  Maybe there is a resource missing.

What tool do I use to examine the executable's binary data?  Do I start at the bottom and work my way up?  If I look at them, what am I searching for?  I've never tried to deconstruct an executable before, I'm afraid.

> All the more reason to suspect resources are missing, or maybe there is info
> no present in the PE headers.  Since the DCUs match, the actual compiled
> code should be the same.

What kind of resources are we talking about?  What is a PE header?

Thanks again!
0
Debbie

> That is a difference of only 77KB.  Have you tried looking at the executable's
> binary data to see what is inside that 77KB?  Maybe there is a resource missing.

What tool do I use to examine the executable's binary data?  Do I start at the bottom and work my way up?  If I look at them, what am I searching for?  I've never tried to deconstruct an executable before, I'm afraid.

> All the more reason to suspect resources are missing, or maybe there is info
> no present in the PE headers.  Since the DCUs match, the actual compiled
> code should be the same.

What kind of resources are we talking about?  What is a PE header?

Thanks again!
0
Debbie
8/6/2015 4:32:41 PM
Debbie wrote:

> What tool do I use to examine the executable's binary data?

There are many third-party hex editors, resource editors, PE editors, file
comparers, etc readily available.

--
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
0

Size of Delphi executable
How can Delphi executables be made smaller? Consider the following. Create a new VCL app. Add a Label to the form. Compile. Sizes for the executable are as follows. Delphi 5 298,496 XE3 Debug 10,911,711 XE3 Release 2,283,520 Clearly there is a lot of unnessary bloat here. What is going on? How can it be minimized? Alan wrote: > Clearly there is a lot of unnessary bloat here. What is going on? This has been discussed over and over and over with every new version that gets released. Please search through past discussions for details. -- ...

D2006 compiled app executable size
I am baffled by the size executable D2006 produces. I'm working on a sub app and the executable shot up in size from c2Mb to c4.5Mb. I didn't think the component I'd just added (TAdvOfficePager) would generate that sort of difference so I started experimenting. First I tried changing the TAdvOfficePager for a TPageControl, the size remained the same. I deleted the dcu's, the bdsproj etc, made sure the units for the AdvOfficePager were removed from my forms's .pas. The size remained the same. Next I thought OK I'll create a blank form and build it up gradually...

Delphi 2010 executable size increase
I noticed that as I convert my code from D2007 to D2010 my executables are increasing in size by as much as 8 MB Yes this one was big to begin with but to jump from 22 MB to 30 MB is a bit too much. Is this normal? Is anyone else seeing this? Anything I can do or is this just progress live with it? Thanks "E C" <sundiskx@NoSpamhotpop.com> wrote in message news:188890@forums.codegear.com... >I noticed that as I convert my code from D2007 to D2010 my executables are >increasing in size by as much as 8 MB > Yes this one was big to begin with but to jump fr...

What does Delphi do when source code is compiled into an executable?
Good day Could you please explain to me what the steps are that Delphi takes when I click "Build". What does it do to make my source code into an executable? I have read about parsers, tree structures, compiler back- and frontend but I do not know how all this falls into place. Also, where does MSBuild fall into all this? What happens where and what does each of these do and are there more steps involved (generally speaking)? Also, apart from the fancy things like debug info and optimizations, etc, what makes the Delphi compiler so special and what sets it apart from other ...

Delphi compiler produces different EXE size
Probably an academic question. I have some large project which is build once in a while (ok,.. often) Something was brought to my attention. Not that I am concern about this much, but it is interesting. The same source *built* several times in the row would produce slightly different EXE - off by a few byte in size of EXE. Just doing *compile* would work just fine... Does compiler have non-deterministic compile logic? On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:40:50 -0700, Serguei Dosyukov wrote: Sergey, You posted this same question here 3 days ago. Please don't post technical questions in...

Delphi 2010 and FinalBuilder : Executable is compiled in english
Hi, I installed Delphi 2010 with English and French locales. French is my primary language. When I compile my project with the Delphi IDE, MessageBox(es) messages are in French. When I compile the same project with FinalBuilder, MessageBox(es) messages are in english. What can I do (environment variables, extra parameters for fcc32...) to make FinalBuilder to compile my project in French ? Thanks for your help, regards, -- Pierre Pierre Yager wrote: > I installed Delphi 2010 with English and French locales. French is my > primary language. > > ...

Executable size grows drastically in XE5 comparing with Delphi 2006
I have simple project (edt fields, check boxes, button). I compiled project in Delphi XE5 and found out that exe size grows 2.5 times! Sizes on the disk: Delphi 2006 - 868 KB (888,832 bytes) Delphi XE5 - 1.98 MB (2,084,864 bytes) Can anybody give me explanation why it grows so much? Thanks in advance, Fred Fred Fonar wrote: > I have simple project (edt fields, check boxes, button). I compiled project in Delphi XE5 and found out that exe size grows 2.5 times! > > Sizes on the disk: > Delphi 2006 - 868 KB (888,832 bytes) > Delphi XE5 - 1.98 MB (2,084,864 byt...

First thoughts about size of mobile app executables produced by Delphi XE6
Hi, I am a D7 user and have been recently reading up about Delphi XE5 and XE6. In so doing I watched for the first time some CodeRage 8 and other videos available on YouTube. I was impressed by the standard of the presentations – so congratulations to JT, DavidI, Sarina, Marco Cantu’, Darren Kosinski, Brian Long, et al.! Also I applaud EMBT’s valiant attempt to produce a platform independent Object Pascal compiler, even though IMHO it still needs further improvement, as I explain below. I did some research on the performance of XE6, and read this blog by Thomas Grubb: ://blogs.rivers...

Delphi 2009 Update 3 & 4: compiled executables won't run on Windows 2000 SP3
Hello, After applying the latest update to my Delphi 2009 installation, executables compiled with this version won't run anymore on Windows 2000 SP3, but I get the error message from Dr. Watson which you can find at the end of this post. The program is just a simple form with a button. I have no problem running the same executable on Windows 2000 SP4 or Windows XP SP2/SP3. Kind regards, Claudio Zani Exception dell'applicazione: App: (pid=112) Ora: 31/05/2009 @ 16:12:20.375 Numero exception: c0000025 *----> System Information <----*...

Wierd problem.. Developer-execute does not do the same as compiled execute ?
Is this a well known issue ?? It's hard to explain what is happening, but the very small program shall read from a DB-table and if it contains something predefined, it shall the write in another DB-table.. It's only a little part of the program, but it's the only part that does not work correctly ? It works perfectly if I debug through, and also if I execute the program within PB7.0.. Please help.. I have no clue ! -- Kind regards Dennis Bostr�m Systemudvikler Bil-Info A/S Dennis@bilinfo.dk It would help if you could explain what the problem is, i.e. i...

Debugging DLL compiled with Delphi 7 in Delphi XE5
Dear Sirs/Madams, We are considering changing from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE5. Our project consists of a dll and an .exe file. I have begun converting the .exe file to Delphi XE5 and have successfully accessed the DLL compiled with Delphi 7. When I debug the DLL (using the "run parameters" and changing "host application" to the .exe file) in Delphi 7 I can set breakpoints etc. and they are triggered. However, when I attempt to debug the project in XE5, I get the following message: Module Load: xxx.dll. No Debug Info. Base Address: $015A0000. Process xxx.exe (2928) ...

delphi.general
Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can't read the group *embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general* Does anybody know if there's something wrong with it? Or maybe is my reader? (Thunderbird) I get this messagge when I try to read the latest messages: Error! newsgroup server responded:no such article found Perhaps the article has expired <692702@forums.embarcadero.com> (33145) Click here to remove all expired articles sergio wrote: > Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can'...

Executable size
I am just not having any luck with building an executable! After about 1 month (off an on) of trying to build an executable, I finally succeeded in PB6.5, using the PFC. I compiled it in P-code, making all my libraries into PBDs. I got an executable, and the PBDs are OK, but my EXE is 23MB!!! There is absolutelely no way that the exe should be 23MB when all my other libraries are PBDs. Plus, this application is fairly small, consisting of only about 7 windows. Any ideas? Tiffany D Tishinski Did you compile the PFC libraries to PBDs as well? Roy On Fri, 04 Sep 1998 ...

Message: Compile error : Compiled segment size exceeds 64K
Hi, Can someone tell me what is the remedy of this problem. Ali Ali, It sounds like you're using machine code in a 16-bit development environment. This is a restriction of the 16-bit environment. To remedy this, do either: 1) Compile to p-code (PBD's) instead of machine code OR 2) Use a 32-bit development environment and a 32-bit target platform. -- Regards, Millard[Team Sybase] Power3 - Custom Enterprise Training Ali Naqvi wrote in message ... >Hi, > >Can someone tell me what is the remedy of this problem. > >Ali > &g...

Web resources about - What Affects The Size of a Compiled Executable? - embarcadero.delphi.general

Executable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... . However, in a more general sense, a file containing instructions (such as bytecode ) for a software interpreter may also be considered executable ...

The Care and Feeding of Weird Machines Found in Executable Metadata [29c3] - YouTube
The Care and Feeding of Weird Machines Found in Executable Metadata The Executable and Linkable Format (ELF) is omnipresent; related OS and library ...

Agile Test Case Management – Specifications and Executable Specifications
... from the first three posts in this series and we’re well into realm of dangerous with Specification and their automated compatriots, Executable ...

Should You Recompile Your Software as a 64-Bit Executable?
Describes the 64-bit features available in OS X. As a general rule, in OS X v10.7 and later, the answer is probably yes. A 64-bit executable ...

For a year, gang operating rogue Tor node infected Windows executables
... Tor exit node. F-Secure Three weeks ago, a security researcher uncovered a Tor exit node that added malware to uncompressed Windows executables ...

Easily create icons from images or executables
... There is an easy solution to this problem, though, and it’s called Quick Any2Ico . Point this compact free program at an image or executable ...

Analysis Nirvana Via Stripped Executables and Binaries?
CodeSonar for binaries identifies security vulnerabilities in third-party executables

AMD’s GPU performance under Linux can be boosted by renaming certain executables
A new report claims that CS:Go players with AMD Radeon GPUs on Linux can boost performance significantly by renaming files.

Patent US5432937 - Method and apparatus for architecture independent executable files - Google Patents ...
The present invention is a method that enables single release of applications for multiple architectures and operating systems and to provide ...

pefile - pefile is a Python module to read and work with PE (Portable Executable) files - Google Project ...
pefile is a multi-platform Python module to read and work with Portable Executable (aka PE) files . Most of the information in the PE Header ...