General bootstrap questions: Delphi 7, pascal

Hi,

This might be a bit inchoherant.  I am sorry of that is the case but I have inherited a collection of languishing Delphi Projects in Pascal.  I do not know Pascal and this is nearly my into to Delphi.  Delphi 7 is running in a Windows XP VirtualMachine instance.  The project in question uses several third party libraries / tools.  Basically, I don't know where to start so I'll start at the beginning and hope you guys can help.

I first inherited these projects almost two years ago.  For the most part they work.  There is one project, however, that needs to have a few "magic" values modified every year.  These values should have been in a config file or even a database but they are hardcoded in the source.  Almost a year ago I was called on to update the magic numbers.  I was able to learn enough about the build environment to make the changes and build an executable that worked.  I ran the result, tested it and it seemed to be O
K.  It was put into production and it has run well since.

After getting the OK from the end user of this tool I checked the project into SVN.

I was asked yesterday to change the numbers for this year.  I have checked the Delphi Projects out of SVN;  I have tried to compile the "old" code into a working executable.  I have tried checking the source out and making the needed changes and then compiling.

The result is that I get an executable that, when run, tells me I get an EAccess Violation.  I have figured out how to "debug" the code.  It dies on a simple assignment statement in a section of code I have NEVER touched.  I am told that the target of the assignment is not visible.  It is declared in the same file and is, or might be, part of a TFace class.  Actually everything under that TFace definition is not Accessible.

There are tones of other non-critical issues.  But I seem to recall that last year, once I had the Project options and the Tools environment options set, the code compiled and the executable ran.  Not so this time.

Any initital ideas?
0
karres

> {quote:title=karres dean wrote:}{quote}
The project in question uses several third party libraries / tools.

> Any initital ideas?

That sounds fishy, so perhaps check to make sure all dynamic link library dependencies are present (and accessible) by your application, if you use any. The fact that it's a runtime error IMO puts these third party libraries in question first..

Goodluck!
Adrian
0
Adrian
8/5/2011 2:41:10 AM
> {quote:title=Adrian G wrote:}{quote}
> > {quote:title=karres dean wrote:}{quote}
> > The project in question uses several third party libraries / tools.
>
> That sounds fishy, so perhaps check to make sure all dynamic link library dependencies are present (and accessible) by your application, if you use any. The fact that it's a runtime error IMO puts these third party libraries in question first..

There is one library called Woll2woll that has two different library versions.  I may try the other one.  After i sent my note yesterday i found a 2 year old executable on this VM.  It at least starts without issue.

Dean...K...
0
karres

Question about Delphi 2009 vs Delphi 7
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can point me to a URLs that show the most important improvements between these versions of Delphi. The objective is convincing the powers-that-pay-the-bills that moving to D2009 (that we'd have to purchase) is a better idea than moving to D7 (for which we have licenses). Fire at will! -- Saluti, Alessandro Federici ------------------------------- "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." (Mark Twain) Alessandro Federici wrote: > Hi, > I was wondering if any of yo...

delphi.general
Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can't read the group *embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general* Does anybody know if there's something wrong with it? Or maybe is my reader? (Thunderbird) I get this messagge when I try to read the latest messages: Error! newsgroup server responded:no such article found Perhaps the article has expired <692702@forums.embarcadero.com> (33145) Click here to remove all expired articles sergio wrote: > Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can'...

What generals generally do

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE2

Delphi 2007 to Delphi 7

Delphi 7 to Delphi XE

General question on the concept of integer handling in Delphi 2009
I found in system.pas new names "NativeInt" and "NativeUInt". According to all computer languages worldwide, Integer (and Cardinal) is *already* a native integer that represents the CPU register for best performance etc... What will happen in Delphi 2010 Win64 ??? I don't want to change Integer to NativeInt in my code thousand times to get adequate performance. > {quote:title=Ralf Stocker wrote:}{quote} > I found in system.pas new names "NativeInt" and "NativeUInt". Interesting. > According to all computer languages wor...

A general question about supporting offline databases
I am a bit of a newbie with Delphi databases, we've been using Delphi for 15 years but we have always used a proprietary binary data format. We now want to switch to an SQL file format. For now we're working with SQLITE, so the Java and C# guys in our shop can read the file too. We have all the latest tools now, XE5 with FireDAC, Datasnap, REST etc. I am very, very impressed with what we can do now. Currently, we have a Delphi desktop app that controls the data file, and use XMLRPC calls from the clients to send and receive transactions. We have what we call a "refresh&...

I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, after i bought delphi 7
I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an application and used cracked delphi 7, I sold it, after i bought delphi 7 and recompiled application, is now my application legal or? "I embezzled some money from my employer, returned the funds, and then got it back as a bonus. Can I still be arrested?" Uhhh .... didn't you just confess to a crime? > {quote:title=Ivan Ivanov wrote:}{quote} > I wrote an appli...

Delphi and Delphi Prism licensing question
When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence" or a "workstation licence"? Can I install both products on two machines I use with the same licence keys? I have a Mac Pro ("Cyrus") running Vista 64 in VMware and a MacBook ("Blacky") running Vista 32 in Parallels. Can I install Delphi and Delphi Prism on both Cyrus and Blacky since I use both machines (and like to have all dev tools I use installed on both machines at all times)? Andrew Brehm wrote: > When I buy Delphi and Delphi Prism, do I get a "named user licence...

Using Delphi 7 and Delphi 2010

Delphi 2007 RTL in Delphi 7

Migrating from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE3

Delphi 7 to Delphi 2009 conversion

Web resources about - General bootstrap questions: Delphi 7, pascal - embarcadero.delphi.general